• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age announced for the West in 2018

Cbajd5

Why is it Echoes of an Elusive Age and not Echoes of an Elusive Era/Eon/something starting with E? My need for alliteration demands it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I really hope we get the 3DS version, the PS4 one doesn't look right to me.

I'm honestly not happy about this. DQXI coming to the west should have been a freaking given for a company as big as SE and this makes it seem like they haven't even started localization yet. Frankly I expected this game to release this fall/winter not in 2018 which is already looking packed as hell again.

It seems like they JUST made the decision to bring it to the west and we should be happy were getting it at all but frankly I just find that to be bullshit. It'd be one thing if they were going to pull a DQ8 and do voice acting but its completely unknown at this point what they are actually going to do with this release and waiting a good 5+ months just for the localization just feels so shitty to me.

SE keeps saying they want DQ to be big in the west but their own stupid attitude about the series is why it never gets big in the west to begin with. There seems to be no real reason this couldn't have been a world wide launch and it just boggles my mind that they can pull something like that off for Final Fantasy 15 but can't for Dragon Quest XI

Nice, bout time!

Guessing SE are bringing the PS4 and Switch versions themselves, and partnering with Nintendo for the 3DS one if that's coming too. It'd be a nice way to send it off, and I think it makes sense for the Switch version to be ready by the time the localization is.

Raw64life

If we get this Q1, the combo of this, Ni no Kun II, DBZFighters and Yakuza 6 would make this an ever better Q1 for Japanese PS4 games than this year IMO.

I'm actually surprised they announced it right on release day, rule of thumb says localization announcements happen almost always after the game is out in Japan.

The rule of thumb should be to announce it at a major conference like E3 or somewhere that would give it maximum exposure and marketing, i.e, not in a single tweet from the DQ twitter account that posts something once, maybe twice a week.

jackal27

Banned
YES FINALLY!!!

Dragon Quest is absolutely my favorite game series and I hate that I have to stress so much about whether or not I'll get to play it!!

Jeels

Hmm, thought this would be one of SE's fall titles. With Dissidia and this in 2018, what do they have this holiday?

Flarin

PS4 version is a no brainer, but I'm hoping that by the time it comes out here that there will be some news on the Switch version. That's the platform I'd be playing on of it's still coming.

Arkeband

Banned
giphy.gif

Ridley327

Nice, bout time!

Guessing SE are bringing the PS4 and Switch versions themselves, and partnering with Nintendo for the 3DS one if that's coming too. It'd be a nice way to send it off, and I think it makes sense for the Switch version to be ready by the time the localization is.

With the script for the game being virtually identical between the versions, there's far less of a reason for Squenix to offload the 3DS version to Nintendo for anything other than distribution.

Lren

Glad to see this finally confirmed for the West! I know my brother is already beside himself in hype, haha.

Hmm, thought this would be one of SE's fall titles. With Dissidia and this in 2018, what do they have this holiday?

Not early 2018 please. Too many games to play already.

I think the thing to note is that if the game was out early next year, they would have said so. Lost Sphear and Dissidia NT, they were upfront about being "early" next year, while this and KHIII are just "2018".

So KHIII for November-December and this in summer-early autumn makes sense to me if they stick to that schedule.

With the script for the game being virtually identical between the versions, there's far less of a reason for Squenix to offload the 3DS version to Nintendo for anything other than distribution.

I meant more of a funding/publishing/distribution partnership than a "help us with the localization" partnership, yeah.

_Ryo_

Fuck Yes! Wow this is suprising. Thought this wouldnt be announced for a few years but next year? Wow!

Why did they change the subtitle tho?
In Japanese the title is In Search of Departed Time.

Aeana

Fuck Yes! Wow this is suprising. Thought this wouldnt be announced for a few years but next year? Wow!

Why did they change the subtitle tho?
In Japanese the title is In Search of Departed Time.

The subtitles for English DQs are all different from the Japanese. In this particular case, they may not have been able to use the Proust reference.

Heartfyre

Why is it Echoes of an Elusive Age and not Echoes of an Elusive Era/Eon/something starting with E? My need for alliteration demands it.

If you pronounce it as Ay-lusive rather than Eee-lusive, the effect is there.

I pronounce it that way and didn't even notice it wasn't literary alliteration until this post.

Also: hurray for DQXI! I hope Shloc's is on the localisation. Probably are, since Heroes II only finished up a couple of months ago.

Top Bottom