• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age announced for the West in 2018

I'm so fucking excited for this!! I can't believe it! Thanks so much, Sqeenix!

Really hope they'll bring both 3DS and PS4 over, since both versions are vastly different. Will definitely buy both! Hype!

jph139

Super hyped. Always wanted to get into Dragon Quest but it never felt like the right time... hopefully it lives up to the hype.

13ruce

Banned
Kingdom Hearts and this in the same year?
First 2017 was awesome and now 2018 too?
Hell fucking yeah.

Love the subtitle btw!

18-Volt

I'm praying to Great Goddess for 3DS and Switch versions. This is supposed to be one long ass DQ game and I don't have enough time at home. If Square wants to be Square and skip the 3DS version, at least they should have a simultaneous release for Switch version. But I've got a feeling that they haven't even started the development on Switch version.

Yjynx

I'm honestly not happy about this. DQXI coming to the west should have been a freaking given for a company as big as SE and this makes it seem like they haven't even started localization yet. Frankly I expected this game to release this fall/winter not in 2018 which is already looking packed as hell again.

It seems like they JUST made the decision to bring it to the west and we should be happy were getting it at all but frankly I just find that to be bullshit. It'd be one thing if they were going to pull a DQ8 and do voice acting but its completely unknown at this point what they are actually going to do with this release and waiting a good 5+ months just for the localization just feels so shitty to me.

SE keeps saying they want DQ to be big in the west but their own stupid attitude about the series is why it never gets big in the west to begin with. There seems to be no real reason this couldn't have been a world wide launch and it just boggles my mind that they can pull something like that off for Final Fantasy 15 but can't for Dragon Quest XI
I whole heartedly agreed on this. I feel that when the time the games released all the hype is gone and people just forget about it.

Dumb decision to not release it ww.

Yoko Taro is showing support.

6dd9f6eea94f153076d5ac84d1d11b71.png

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
For all platforms? I'm behind, is it coming to Switch at the same time as PS4?

Switch version doesn't exist at the moment. It is confirmed in development, but nothing has officially started.
PS4 and 3DS versions will come out next week in Japan, simultaneously.
Going by the screenshots provided with the PR, I'd say only the PS4 version is coming West

Shin

Banned
Switch version doesn't exist at the moment. It is confirmed in development, but nothing has officially started.
PS4 and 3DS versions will come out next week in Japan, simultaneously.
Going by the screenshots provided with the PR, I'd say only the PS4 version is coming West

It would make sense also 60m+ PS4's vs the rest, it's an easy choice.
Though Dragon Quest would sell a lot on Switch also I reckon so that makes sense.
Not sure how JRPG's fair on Xbox so can't comment on that, good if it's released on XB as well.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hell yeah, now I don't have to kidnap one of my coworkers and force him to translate!

Good news! But I need to know platforms. I'm hoping that Switch or 3ds version makes it here, but I'm kind of expecting only PS4 version.

Pepboy

Still keeping that cringe localization style I see.

If you mean the subtitles, I kind of like them. They are easy to ignore but after playing you realize they fit well...

For dq xi I think (spoiler)
it might refer to connections between xi and previous games. There is one image people are talking about but I don't want to really spoil it.

Edit if you mean the atrocious accents they force on everything, then I 100% agree, the only game they ever added anything to was 8, and really only the main cast (and even then probably because VA work was done in Europe).

But still so glad to see any positive DQ news for west, in any form.

alf717

The "T" is a sword. I am pleased. Now all that is left is no one is left behind like leaving one version out versus the other.

You've got to appreciate how they timed the announcement to be at the exact minute the game released in Japan.

No Proust but great title nonetheless.

kromeo

Then why would they have any faith in PS4 after Builders and Heroes 1-2?

I don't think they do have a whole lot, otherwise we wouldn't only just be getting a confirmation as the game releases in Japan. I don't think Builders sold all that badly though

Pepboy

You've got to appreciate how they timed the announcement to be at the exact minute the game released in Japan.

No Proust but great title nonetheless.

I'm actually a bit confused by this because some western fans imported due to lack of news. But it's so soon after the release they might feel burned?

Top Bottom