• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Opening and Gameplay, 2017 for PS4 and 3DS

ranmafan

Fantastic opening and so glad to get see confirmation of the 2017 release date. Now officially my most anticipated game of next year. Also a great way to top off 2016 for dragon quest. Builders, heroes 2, the amazing live spectatular tour (perhaps my favorite live show I've ever been too) , and now this news. Oh I can't wait to play this game!

Raw64life

Hoping the 3DS and PS4 versions will have some differences other than graphical ones, but I will Day 1 everything with the name Dragon Quest on it in the west regardless.

Amazing trailer and gameplay footage. 2018/possibly never can't come soon enough.

PS4 version looks fantastic.
Wasn't expecting to see this today lol.

Damn, 2017 is looking godly.

Ninja girl will never leave my party.

Yup, I have to agree :)

HorriblePleasantBengaltiger.gif

So good!

Dat PS4 version, so good. Looks exactly how I imagined a DQ on modern consoles.
Hopefully they'll show more soon though, this wasn't really much more gameplay than in the first presentation last year.

Yeah, been waiting for more like this since DQ8 :)

Ōkami

Loving everything about this, reminds me of the best DQ game (4) so far.

Three versions of the game is the best, its as if we were getting a Super Famicom game and two remakes of it at the same time.

Aeana

So between the logo being an inversion of DQ1's logo, the subtitle, the world's name, and the appearance of Loto's sword, things are looking pretty interesting.

Ray Down

Banned
Ōkami;226743259 said:
Loving everything about this, reminds me of the best DQ game (4) so far.

Three versions of the game is the best, its as if we were getting a Super Famicom game and two remakes of it at the same time.

Agree, hopefully the cast lives up to 4 though.

wapplew

Fantastic opening and so glad to get see confirmation of the 2017 release date. Now officially my most anticipated game of next year. Also a great way to top off 2016 for dragon quest. Builders, heroes 2, the amazing live spectatular tour (perhaps my favorite live show I've ever been too) , and now this news. Oh I can't wait to play this game!

Gonna update that most anticipate list!

Maniel

Banned
So between the logo being an inversion of DQ1's logo, the subtitle, the world's name, and the appearance of Loto's sword, things are looking pretty interesting.

It's a minor thing, but after the MC raises Loto's sword, there's a rainbow light that made me think of the rainbow drop in DQ1.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
...I think I prefer the way the 3DS version looks? I mean, the PS4 version is very beautiful, but the 3DS version's character models and more limited style were very charming to me. The 3D screen reminded me of 2D RPGs I used to play on my GBA and DS. It's a shame the 3DS version might not get released in the US if it would happen in 2018 and a Switch version could replace it from Nintendo's perspective.

Chun-Li Kicking Girl is definitely my favorite based on first impressions.

Rpgmonkey

As a huge fan of DQIII (and someone who also really likes I and II) this game is like the best freaking thing ever to me lol.

Totally ready to drop whatever amount of money is necessary to import both versions next year.

Ray Down

Banned

Having only played (not finished) DQ3 of the Loto trilogy, what do you mean by this?

Ōkami

Horii with Loto's sword, and the tree turning into a dragon in the trailer.

Maybe they're combining the Loto games with the Zenithia games for the ultimate Dragon Quest.

Platy

The 3DS's kinda SD models gives the game so much more charisma than the normal proportions version on the ps4.

It just fits the stylized world they are making

Arkeband

Banned

I was looking for Dragonlord references based on initial speculation and only noticed the big red Cyclops' amulet.

What is the name of the world?

udivision

The 3DS's kinda SD models gives the game so much more charisma than the normal proportions version on the ps4.

It just fits the stylized world they are making

I think games using that engine (Unreal?) run the risk of losing their visual identity in some ways. The CGs (since they weren't using the game engine) had more of a personality but the gameplay for the PS4 had that weird "but in HD!" samey-ness.

expel

Both version looks great! 3DS version got that charming look, ppl who wants DQ experience on console gets their wish with both PS4 and switch version. Happy ppl all around! There will be difference between 3ds n console version with the obvious difference like streetpass on 3ds n Ucchi said the ps4 version has something else, think there will be different mini games too?

Of course we all know 3ds version will sell a lot more in Japan tho ;)

Chase17

Will it be about Prince of Cannock being a better party member.

I'm a game off from 1 but oh well

Aeana

Was expecting the soundtrack it to be fully live-orchestrated, but it still sounds great.

I'm hoping it's just because the music hasn't been recorded yet.

The music may end up being orchestrated (Sugiyama has lost this battle a handful of times now), but Sugiyama doesn't want the in-game music to be orchestrated in the games in the first place. With that said, I don't think that what's there is final regardless. The synth quality and effects will probably improve if they end up not replacing it with orchestrated stuff.

At this point it looks like showing the Protagonist use Gigaslash on the part of the song at 1:50 (in the trailer video) is a regular thing.

Wanchan

Looks good but I don't like the lazy work on party members...new Torneco, new Alena, new Flora, new Maribel, new Angelo, hope they plays different at least, need to see more.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Looking fantastic. If they still make you choose between the 2D and 3D in the 3DS version after the intro I'll probably just stick to the PS4 version... though maybe S-E will make that choice for me depending on what platforms they release it on here.

I hope we get some video of what battles look like on the PS4, not expecting anything too weird but I don't think we've seen that yet for some reason.

Top Bottom