• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Opening and Gameplay, 2017 for PS4 and 3DS

Cess007

HorriblePleasantBengaltiger.gif

I don't even play DQ and I like her already lol

rhandino

Banned
Any clues about what style of combat are we going to get in the PS4 ver.? Saw the vid but they did not showed any but I have the lingering feeling that is going to be similar to DQX...

Arkeband

Banned
At this point it looks like showing the Protagonist use Gigaslash on the part of the song at 1:50 (in the trailer video) is a regular thing.

I remember one of the DQ8 trailers synced that moment with Dragon Soul, that level 65 ability where you crash down like a meteor.

Kanann

rcHyElC.png

World Tree has fallen, run quick!

aAFIKKg.png

Go get my crystal, Cecil.

t1SjJNw.png

Granpa Gohan (Not sure this is Goku or Kuririn...)

19DECMz.png

ESRP: T (T = Tolneko)

Yes, I will likely double dip on Dragon Harem XI.

I'm actually really digging the mix of Toriyama art and realistic shaders. The result is a much better "3D anime" look than stuff like Tales.

Shouta

Looks good but I don't like the lazy work on party members...new Torneco, new Alena, new Flora, new Maribel, new Angelo, hope they plays different at least, need to see more.

You see the old man using claws in the opening film so he's not Torneko other than being the fat man, lol. It seems he and the long haired girl are both martial artists where he focuses on claws, she focuses on kicks. From the little bubble at the start, it looks like he finds her unconscious and takes her in. Maybe he teachers her?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Any clues about what style of combat are we going to get in the PS4 ver.? Saw the vid but they did not showed any but I have the lingering feeling that is going to be similar to DQX...

we've already known turn based, just like the rest of the versions

jb1234

The music may end up being orchestrated (Sugiyama has lost this battle a handful of times now), but Sugiyama doesn't want the in-game music to be orchestrated in the games in the first place. With that said, I don't think that what's there is final regardless. The synth quality and effects will probably improve if they end up not replacing it with orchestrated stuff.

It's such a bizarre hill to die on in the first place. You'd think he'd want as many people as possible to hear his music in the best quality.

Man, this looks hype as hell. So many references to the first trilogy. This feels like a refresh for the franchise.

I am still not sold on the artstyle for the PS4 version though; for me DQVIII had the perfect aesthetic for the 'grand' style DQ and this looks off. But I loved the horse riding and generally just the scale has me pumped.

3DS version has the aesthetics down, but damn, those static NPCs bother me a lot. It still looks awesome though.

Wish we saw more gameplay for both but I'm fairly satisfied.

AgeEighty

The music may end up being orchestrated (Sugiyama has lost this battle a handful of times now), but Sugiyama doesn't want the in-game music to be orchestrated in the games in the first place. With that said, I don't think that what's there is final regardless. The synth quality and effects will probably improve if they end up not replacing it with orchestrated stuff.

I just figured that if they were going to make the game fully orchestrated, they wouldn't bother making a synth version. Except maybe for 3DS, but even that's capable of in-game orchestrated music.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
My one worry is that the main quest will wind up being like 18 hours long, lol. They'd call it a throwback but it'd just be emblematic of too many Japanese games these days.

I hope it's got a nice length to it. But I'm sure it'll be rad regardless.

The ps4 version looks so good
Kamiu and Ninja girl 😍😍😍
The mcs design is growing on me since the initial reveal

Aeana

I just figured that if they were going to make the game fully orchestrated, they wouldn't bother making a synth version. Except maybe for 3DS, but even that's capable of in-game orchestrated music.

DQ music is developed in a fairly unique way for the industry. Sugiyama sits down and plays the game, and maps everything out, and then he wants to hear it in the game as he plays. The synth stuff is always part of the process.

Looks utterly sublime. I'll probably grab both versions since they look like they will have a few differences.
The artstyle has really been nailed in the HD 3D this time.

Yazuka

Omg! Ninja girl in my party forever! <3
It's looking great I just love how well Akira Toriyama's artstyle transitions into 3D.
I really really hope this comes west.

AgeEighty

DQ music is developed in a fairly unique way for the industry. Sugiyama sits down and plays the game, and maps everything out, and then he wants to hear it in the game as he plays. The synth stuff is always part of the process.

Interesting. Well, I hope we the players end up winning out on this one.

jb1234

I imagine that synth demos are pretty common in the industry these days (like they are for film scores). Producers want to hear at least a rough-cut of the music before they pony up the money to get it recorded.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My one worry is that the main quest will wind up being like 18 hours long, lol. They'd call it a throwback but it'd just be emblematic of too many Japanese games these days.

I hope it's got a nice length to it. But I'm sure it'll be rad regardless.
You're worried about a DQ game being 18 hours long. The last games around that length were made 25 years ago.

Ozium

hopefully more people play this so they can understand how great dragon quest is and stop with the exaltation of that overrated final fantasy series

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
You're worried about a DQ game being 18 hours long. The last games around that length were made 25 years ago.

We live in interesting times. FFXV's main quest is remarkably short.

I'm not saying it's likely, but I've learned to keep my guard up against odd turns in sequels to franchises I adore.

Zesh

Looks great. I'm already very happy with the party; the cast seems to be quite diverse. Hope this hits the west in early/mid 2018.

jonno394

Maybe it's just me, but the world itself of the PS4 version looks stunning, but the characters populating the ingame do not. Their is something not quite sharp enough about the enemies/main character when standing on the world map, maybe it's just the quality of the video, but they seem somewhat fuzzy.

Top Bottom