• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drive Club Weather Sound Patch. Grab your headphones, listen and watch Incredible

This game went from decent to definitive racer game on the PS4 real quick with these last few patches. I still dislike what they aimed for performance wise, but they definitely knocked it out of the park with what they did do.

Definitely hopping back on this game tomorrow.

I rented it again from Gamefly to give it another chance, and the weather is extremely impressive, but I still just hated the physics and control. One tiny momentum shift at high speed = restarting an otherwise perfect run. I ain't got time for that.

"If it wasn't for the mistakes I made on track I would've been F1 World Champion's Driver"
- Mark Webber.

Rodelero

Obviously nothing new, but I just realised that the window wipers make noise for the first time.

The level of detail in this game truly does go beyond anything before.

WViking87

I preordered this game and the season pass when they went up on the Playstation Store. A week after release, I contacted and received a refund from Sony. I knew I would come back to this game once it was fixed/updated and that time is now! I just repurchased both on the Playstation Store. These updates are impressive.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Their engine and tool-set evolve with the game. They seem to be severely understaffed for their ambition. It was nice to hear that they are hiring some folks, even if that number is low - despite my knee jerk reaction around release predicting otherwise. I do believe Sony needs a studio like them to fill the gaps left-over by GT. They are very capable also - it's not like they're some left-over. Quality is showing, slowly but surely. Evo did learn an important lesson, whether that be the producers, directors and everyone in management involved: don't release a piece-meal game, you'll get hammered. Obviously the realities in the business make deadlines and delays extremely paramount to survival but so is avoiding fuck ups.

Will pick the game when everything is packaged into a definitive edition. Evo is setting the bar in the genre without anyone (majority) noticing it...truly a shame.

Dalto11

It's not just you. It's a sound bug due to which there are wiper sounds even for cars without wipers. It'll be addressed in a future patch :)

Viveks man I still wonder how you know all this stuff. You called the sound patch the day the weather patch was given a release date.

Is the PS+ version still happening? I don't really wanna buy the game without trying it first

Yes, as far as we know it seems like they're just trying to make sure that the servers are going to be stable enough to handle the rush of new players. The worst thing that could happen for them is to put it up with those new players being unable to access the online functionality.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW...

man I thought for a second that this update messed with the game's smooth framerate. I was about to be pissed off.

but nope, remembered last night I finally watched Lord of the Rings Return of the King...and set my T.V. to true Cinma....which I guess means 24p? :/

anyway, switched back to smooth motion flow...and everything was right again.

for the heck of it, I turned motion flow off...and it seemed like Smooth looked better.

I always felt that Smooth only came into play for prerecorded video..but nope, imo it looks/runs smoother for me.

anyone use motion flow on their T.Vs for games?

Pretty sure the post processing will add lag to your controller's response. If you don't feel that it's a bother, then keep using it.

Drives me crazy though.

And this game has 71 on Metacritic while the MCC has 85.

Why does this industry not re-review things after major changes, in no way does this game represent a 71. It's easily one of the best racing games I've ever played, and the only game I've ever played that blurs the line between game and "is this real life" at times.

All the more reason to stop caring about metacritic and game reviews in general. I can already tell I'm gonna love this game.

Hey how about some night driving?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZr6rpNU1yw

I've found the key to getting the storm noises front and center is to get a relatively quiet car, which I did here. I think the sound mix might need a little more tweaking by Evo, but its still pretty impressive.

edit: Oh, and apparently this car has no windshield wipers? I didn't even notice that until just now. (How did I not notice that?)

2nd edit: Oh and at about 2:25 of the video, lightning strikes what must be a condenser or something on the right side of the road because it explodes.

Afrikan

Pretty sure the post processing will add lag to your controller's response. If you don't feel that it's a bother, then keep using it.

Drives me crazy though.

That's what I have always heard and read...

I have another tv in the room, that I put in game mode and also PC mode....but nope...framerate for my other games (UFC) just seem off.... so I switch back to many post processing stuff...and I don't notice the lag...so ever since, I just enjoy the beauty and still do well in games online.

ranked in the 900s in Madden

usually come in 1st place or close to the top in DriveClub races.

and do well in UFC.

I remember my brother saying it bothered him in Battlefield. (on the older Toshiba TV)

edit- Wait, let me add that I do have the Sony W900a...and it's suppose to be one of the best for input lag...so that might explain something... even with post processing, it plays well for me.

that car is crazy to drive on dry pavement, btw... and its lack of traditional engine sound is so eerie lol (but maybe that's just me too used to V8s)

Oneself

That Corvette engine sound is godly BTW.
Sound mix was also tweaked for better 3rd person "wind sounds" ... And you can hear the wipers from the front end, as well as rain dropping on the cars.

WOAH. Cannot wait to unwrap this tomorrow night.

This + headphones + medicinal grade =

Tomhanks.jpg

I wanna come to your house.

Wait, maybe I just never noticed this on the track before, but are the trees on the outside of the track affected by the rain? It looks like the foliage is "wilted down" from the high level of rain, like you might see in an actual rain storm. Is that from the weather patch or has that always been the case on that track?

Their engine and tool-set evolve with the game. They seem to be severely understaffed for their ambition. It was nice to hear that they are hiring some folks, even if that number is low - despite my knee jerk reaction around release predicting otherwise. I do believe Sony needs a studio like them to fill the gaps left-over by GT. They are very capable also - it's not like they're some left-over. Quality is showing, slowly but surely. Evo did learn an important lesson, whether that be the producers, directors and everyone in management involved: don't release a piece-meal game, you'll get hammered. Obviously the realities in the business make deadlines and delays extremely paramount to survival but so is avoiding fuck ups.

Will pick the game when everything is packaged into a definitive edition. Evo is setting the bar in the genre without anyone (majority) noticing it...truly a shame.

I think the amount of awesome support this game is getting after release, the fact they have the online kinks mostly worked out and online racing works fine now, and how much praise this game gets graphically (which is very important in the first year of a new console), I am confident that Evolution will be around and not get closed down as many predicted on GAF at the release of Driveclub.

I feel Evolution will get started very soon, if they haven't started already, on an established IP racing game after learning and taking their lumps on a new IP. I predict either Wipeout or Motorstorm. Motorstorm most likely, and I hope I am right. Motorstorm on this engine would be amazing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It's really going to be a shame if this game doesn't sell well. I held off myself but am definitely picking this up my next paycheck.

These updates have been phenominal.

Putty

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW...

man I thought for a second that this update messed with the game's smooth framerate. I was about to be pissed off.

but nope, remembered last night I finally watched Lord of the Rings Return of the King...and set my T.V. to true Cinma....which I guess means 24p? :/

anyway, switched back to smooth motion flow...and everything was right again.

for the heck of it, I turned motion flow off...and it seemed like Smooth looked better.

I always felt that Smooth only came into play for prerecorded video..but nope, imo it looks/runs smoother for me.

anyone use motion flow on their T.Vs for games?

Yep, me. I just bought a Samsung UE32H6400 which is just one, if not the best 32" on the market. I turn Motion Plus on, cranked it up...BOOM! Insta 60fps feeling screen update! Works wonders on AC: Unity aswell. I'll take that over the slight artefacting it incurs aswell. Seeing DC this way is mind boggling!

Putty

That's what I have always heard and read...

I have another tv in the room, that I put in game mode and also PC mode....but nope...framerate for my other games (UFC) just seem off.... so I switch back to many post processing stuff...and I don't notice the lag...so ever since, I just enjoy the beauty and still do well in games online.

ranked in the 900s in Madden

usually come in 1st place or close to the top in DriveClub races.

and do well in UFC.

I remember my brother saying it bothered him in Battlefield. (on the older Toshiba TV)

edit- Wait, let me add that I do have the Sony W900a...and it's suppose to be one of the best for input lag...so that might explain something... even with post processing, it plays well for me.

Input lag is not something I detect. On DC especially I have numerous times in the top 100 or less.

Top Bottom