• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB: Japan complete preview - Free DLC releasing Monday, Jan 19

For many people the droplets effect is just unbearable, spoiling their fun, so there simply should be an option in game to disable them.

Eh... who are the many people? The only person I see complaining about it at great length so far is you... We get you don't like it and made your position clear many posts ago, but please... leave it alone now.

I knew the mp time trial would be in real time with opponent cars ghosted! that's a nice way to get rid of bumper cars

New multiplayer mode is genius, its next-gen Trackmania (sort of ish)

It's pretty much exactly what I've been suggesting since release, except I wanted it for club challenges instead. Let's hope they add the same functionality into private lobbies with the ability to tackle club challenges with my club, in the same session.

PLEASE RUSHY, I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING! :)

It's pretty much exactly what I've been suggesting since release, except I wanted it for club challenges instead. Let's hope they add the same functionality into private lobbies with the ability to tackle club challenges with my club, in the same session.

PLEASE RUSHY, I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING! :)
Wow it sounds kind of like how Rallisport Challenge 2 online worked. Everyone at once vying for the top times as ghosts. Interesting. I don't play multi very much, but I might now.

ShutterMunster

The idea of removing water droplets from the chase camera is utterly ridiculous. EVO has been so forthcoming with updates and improvements that people feel like they can just demand anything. I'm actively worried about all the A.I tweaks EVO is making because the game does have a nice edge to it that makes it rewarding when you succeed. I haven't played enough post patch (actually only played one Japan track), but I hope the A.I is less psychotic. They used to just slam into you willy nilly, no sense of self preservation. No one actually drives like that.

Can you explain how it works? I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Its really great, you go into a seperate menu where you can just sit and watch live time updates from everyone. You can press a button to start a new lap (and start another new one at any time during the duration of the event) (usually about 7 minutes). The leaderboard updates in real time and shows who has the best sector, etc, it's actually really fully featured which I wasn't expecting. Definitely try it.

The only odd thing is that you do see ghosts but that doesn't really help as no one started the race at the same time so they are not 'in-synch'. It'd probably feel weirder not to have ghosts in a time trial event though...

Edit: Has anyone got the different manufacturers paint job thing working? It says it in the patch notes but I couldn't see how to do it.

le-seb

Eh... who are the many people?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143894848&postcount=3305
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142812001&postcount=153
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/DRIVECLUB/DriveClub-weather/td-p/22805897
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/12/15/driveclub-redline-expansion-pack-trailer#comment-1743840526

None of these comments are mine, obviously, and you could find hundreds more of them on the Internet if you did a search.
But yeah, I'm alone thinking there could/should/must be an option so I'm out now.

I don't get the complaint about water droplets on the chase cam.
The same goes with lens flare, chromatic aberration, HDR or anything making it look like it's a camera point of view rather than human sight.
Some people have absolutely no problem with any/some of them, while other hate some/all of them.
There is no accounting for taste.

Food for thought: if the camera's stopping rain droplets, it should also certainly show dew and collect dust/dirt (like the cars do), and why not show smashed butterflies. ;)

Kysen

Has anyone discussed how screwed up ghosts are on time trial yet? The ghosts don't seem to actually be running the times set. Its more like they are racing normally but the game gives their car boosts or slow downs in order to fit the allotted time.

You can see this in full effect in the tour "Maplewood motorsport park" event. Pick the x-bow. You need a time of 56s or less.

-Its a rolling start but somehow their car is going much faster on the outset. (the ghosts should overlap completely like in GT)
-On the 2nd and 3rd to last turns the ghost slows down for no reason at all(gentle turns).
-On the final turn the ghost realizes that it cant make the time and activates nitro. You can literally be right on top or ahead of it before the final turn and it will pass you every time. Its ridiculous as you are using the same vehicle.

Was having fun with the Japan tracks yesterday and was thinking about buying the season pass but the events and ai have gotten too tough for me in the add ons:(

Monkfish

Banned
has the best sector, etc, it's actually really fully featured which I wasn't expecting. Definitely try it.

The only odd thing is that you do see ghosts but that doesn't really help as no one started the race at the same time so they are not 'in-synch'. It'd probably feel weirder not to have ghosts in a time trial event though...

Edit: Has anyone got the different manufacturers paint job thing working? It says it in the patch notes but I couldn't see how to do it.

Be nice to have the 'top ghost' visible as you start a new lap but that might not be so easy to implement

The paint job is not live yet, patch notes mistake

Putty

Be nice to have the 'top ghost' visible as you start a new lap but that might not be so easy to implement

The paint job is not live yet, patch notes mistake

The fact we see the ghosts I think make the whole experience a whole new ball game. Encourages you to try harder to catch the car in front.

Mabufu

Banned
Well, I just read some nitpicks like "DC have no awesome accidents" and "if you make a bad turn, others pass you", like negative points of the game.

My faith in humanity hurts T_T

Afrikan

What's this about water driblets in chase view?

DON'T PLAY IN WEATHER RACES THEN IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE YOUR VIEW OBSTRUCTED!

these past two generations have been ruined with hand holding as it is.

RiverKwai

The same goes with lens flare, chromatic aberration, HDR or anything making it look like it's a camera point of view rather than human sight.

It's never been trying to replicate "human sight" in any racing game I can think of. Not even ones without weather. Nobody flies 15 feet above and slightly behind the car they are driving. Obvious camera POV is obvious. Now, it's a magical camera for sure - but it's always been a "chase-cam" and not "superhero vision" or whatever.

fast6-banner.jpg

skelekey

Well, I just read some nitpicks like "DC have no awesome accidents" and "if you make a bad turn, others pass you", like negative points of the game.

My faith in humanity hurts T_T

I've had some pretty big wrecks myself. One time two others took me out and I did about three spirals in the air and landed back on my feet. I came in first that race too.

Monkfish

Banned
It's never been trying to replicate "human sight" in any racing game I can think of. Not even ones without weather. Nobody flies 15 feet above and slightly behind the car they are driving. Obvious camera POV is obvious. Now, it's a magical camera for sure - but it's always been a "chase-cam" and not "superhero vision" or whatever.

fast6-banner.jpg

Was called cheat cam in my day, political correctness lobby renamed it chase. Call it what you want, you chase you cheat.

Arguments for cheat cam are like those people who say legalise all drugs in athletics to level the playing field for everyone.

RiverKwai

Was called cheat cam in my day, political correctness lobby renamed it chase. Call it what you want, you chase you cheat.

Arguments for cheat cam are like those people who say legalise all drugs in athletics to level the playing field for everyone.

It would be interesting to see how a racing game without chase-cam (or cheat-cam) would be received. I bet a lot more people would bitch about it not being available than are currently upset that it's got rain on it. :)

I forgot to check out the new game mode last night. I'm excited to go home and try it out today!

I think it would be a nice idea if in the private lobbies we can choose which cam can be used. Maybe Evo can also set something like this for MP races - that would be awesome. Imagine the situation when only interior cam can be used :)
Locked cockpit cam, no HUD, 20 laps MP lobbies

plz do it evo

It would be interesting to see how a racing game without chase-cam (or cheat-cam) would be received. I bet a lot more people would bitch about it not being available than are currently upset that it's got rain on it. :)
Yeah, people would bitch up a storm.

Also, a game that springs to mind that did in fact force people to use cockpit view (or their version of cockpit at the time) was the Ferrari game for the Dreamcast. F355 Challenge Passione Rossa. No chase cam in that game. But no real time online multiplayer either, unfortunately.

Whiny? lol
Am I the one complaining that driving in interior view is so hard that every other view should be dumbed down to make it easier for me?

Some people can't stand this kind of (unrealistic) effect, you know?
Having options is nice.

So rain effect is (unrealistic) but driving from 10 feet behind and 5 feet above your car is (realistic)?

Shaneus

Also, a game that springs to mind that did in fact force people to use cockpit view (or their version of cockpit at the time) was the Ferrari game for the Dreamcast. F355 Challenge Passione Rossa. No chase cam in that game. But no real time online multiplayer either, unfortunately.
It was an option in PGR4 as well, the lobby leader could set "cockpit only" view. I'm still not comfortable with cockpit vs bumper yet, so hopefully it still gives the option of cockpit/bonnet/bumper if such a feature were to be implemented.

But is there really all that much advantage to using chase vs. cockpit/bumper? If you have a decent enough sound system (or headphones) you can hear the cars easier in cockpit/bumper than you'd be able to see them in chase I'd think.

nib95

Banned
What's this about water driblets in chase view?

DON'T PLAY IN WEATHER RACES THEN IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE YOUR VIEW OBSTRUCTED!

these past two generations have been ruined with hand holding as it is.

Absolutely agree. I find the complaint hilarious. The justification or pitch is literally "chase cam is already easier than the rest, might as well make it even easier!" As if a lack of balance should be met with further imbalance.

Just leave it as it is, lest there's at least an easier option for those that need or want it. Ultimately though, visibility should be impaired in weather conditions, irrespective of the view.

RiverKwai

Ah yes, I remember that game. Might still have it around somewhere burned for my Dreamcast. I found it was too "sim" for me.

le-seb

So rain effect is (unrealistic) but driving from 10 feet behind and 5 feet above your car is (realistic)?
Please don't put words in my mouth, I've never said that these views were realistic.
The droplets effect is unrealistic in my opinion because it's overdone and if rain droplets stick to the camera's lens, there's no reason why it doesn't also collect dirt and dust, just like the windshield does. Balance, they said.

Now, for the nth time, I only ever play this game using either the cockpit or dashboard views, so I don't need this option myself.
Which doesn't prevent me from having the opinion that the effect is not likeable - but I guess you know that by the time! :D - and that other people than me do/will feel the same, but will want to play the game using a point of view that's not in-car, and will be annoyed as hell not having the option to disable it. Call it empathy, if you like.

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here, bringing proof by contradiction that all this balance talk - that has never been brought by the devs themselves as far as I know, but only by gamers as a justification of why this option wouldn't be possible or nice - is pretty petty when you think about the game's other flaws (like having people using wheels and controllers competing together, or the time trials leaderboards not managing fixed time of day and fixed weather conditions).

Maybe it's because I'm an old fart who doesn't need to hang his pseudo in the top of leaderboards to have fun playing this game, but I'm genuinely baffled at how many people here make this option looks like it would ruin the game.

Much ado about nothing, I think.
It's getting late/early here, so good night GAF.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I hope the A.I is less psychotic. They used to just slam into you willy nilly, no sense of self preservation. No one actually drives like that.

They were just simulating online multiplayer. ;-)

Please don't put words in my mouth, I've never said that these views were realistic.
The droplets effect is unrealistic in my opinion because it's overdone and if rain droplets stick to the camera's lens, there's no reason why it doesn't also collect dirt and dust, just like the windshield does. Balance, they said.

Where would the dirt and dust come from? Don't say the cars because the camera would be too high for the dust to reach before it settles, beside the camera has already raced past. :p

Top Bottom