• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJLord

Same, i really wish we could select individual HUD elements to show up
Playing with Cockpit + HUD off is so much fun but when you race a track for the first time the minimap would be nice to see (i don't care about fame/position)

loving the game so far but those small things I'll never understand why they are missing :(

Try turning on Map and Objective elements then set the opacity down to 10%. Switch everything else to off.

I think that looks alright for what it is, personally I like the map on just to give me a sense of the shape of the corner.

Vizzeh

Banned
Just noticed a HUGE difference in my gaming performance today, all down to my tv settings.

Im always very particular about input lag etc, was owning up the track yesterday and felt like a god on corners, blipping the throttle, breaking efficiently and controlling slides until this morning I wasn't as good, still doing okay, finishing 1st or close to it, it was the lap-timing and difficulty seemed increased. Noticably, but the reason wasn't "obvious" until I realised I had my TV output relabled to "blueray" after watching a show last night, with some minor post-processing going on, it certainly wasnt "in your face, eye catching" - Upon switching back... my god, its awesome :)

Point being: minor differences in input lag made a HUGE difference, made me think if some of the reviewers where using shit TV's or had their TV's setup wrong, it could completely impact their view on the game and experience, that also goes for anyone.

Fast tracks at high speeds, likely time-trials or non-circuit race-roads are likely going to highlight it more.

wickfut

Banned
I think people in the US that will probably have had it at least a week before the online works deserve something back, considering how integrated the online and aynchronous challenge parts of the game are supposed to be.

Can you name any other product that you get compensated for because it takes a week to repair?

GYNGA

Are we almost at the point that an OT 2 can be opened for this game?

Here are some ideas

DRIVECLUB |OT 2| More Drive...Less Club!

DRIVECLUB |OT 2| Driving with a chance of Clubbing.
DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution After All

Seriously though, when is OT2 incoming? When this thread reaches 400 pages?

wapplew

The drifting is amazing in this game, I highly suggest people sit down with the drifting challenges and get good at it. I basically slam the handbrake and steer all the way toward the direction I'm turning to start drift, then I steer the reverse direction while my backend is sliding while managing the acceleration. Feels good man.

Agree, drifting is fun and challenging
I think they are not that practical in races, 9 time out of 10 I crash someone while drifting.

MJLord

Just noticed a HUGE difference in my gaming performance today, all down to my tv settings.

Im always very particular about input lag etc, was owning up the track yesterday and felt like a god on corners, blipping the throttle, breaking efficiently and controlling slides until this morning I wasn't as good, still doing okay, finishing 1st or close to it, it was the lap-timing and difficulty seemed increased. Noticably, but the reason wasn't "obvious" until I realised I had my TV output relabled to "blueray" after watching a show last night, with some minor post-processing going on, it certainly wasnt "in your face, eye catching" - Upon switching back... my god, its awesome :)

Point being: minor differences in input lag made a HUGE difference, made me think if some of the reviewers where using shit TV's or had their TV's setup wrong, it could completely impact their view on the game and experience, that also goes for anyone.

Fast tracks at high speeds, likely time-trials or non-circuit race-roads are likely going to highlight it more.

I always hear people talking about setting up your tv or monitor but what can I do to make sure my screen is just right? Got any links or advice?

QaaQer

Same, i really wish we could select individual HUD elements to show up
Playing with Cockpit + HUD off is so much fun but when you race a track for the first time the minimap would be nice to see (i don't care about fame/position)

loving the game so far but those small things I'll never understand why they are missing :(

I'm guessing time & budget. I am tired of waiting for the online stuff, but I'm not going to angry about it because I'm sure the team is putting in 70+hour weeks right now. If it hasn't changed in a month, then I'll be asking for a refund.

The driving has hooked me though. I actually went out and bought a w700b tv, cheap-o T80 wheel, and a new desk for this game...most expensive game ever. It's so much fun to play with manual shifting & wheel assists off, so no regrets. & if the online stuff is fun, this could easily be my game for the next 5 or 6 months, which would end up saving me money in the long run.

anddo0

I really hope they sort out the servers soon. I want to play more often, but not being in a club. and the fact that club points aren't retroactive, have made me wary of putting time into it.

The online portion works, however it takes forever for anything club related to load.

QaaQer

I always hear people talking about setting up your tv or monitor but what can I do to make sure my screen is just right? Got any links or advice?

If you don't want to buy anything or hire someone, poke around AVS forums for the model of your tv. Sometimes people with gear will post their settings. Or you could ask in one of the owners club threads. I think gaf might have a monitor thread as well.

Dommel

Any easy way to switch between a wheel and DS4 without quiting the game?Still cant figure out.

You can have both connected at the same time, I usually switch off the controller once I connect with the wheel.

No restarting required, just keep the PS button pressed and select 'adjust device'.

Rey

I think I'm in love. The more I play the game the better it gets. I'm still not sure which view I like the best. I'm constantly switching from hood to dash cam. I have the hud opacity at 10% because I like to see my lap times and split times.

Couples if things I would like to see happen in updates:

- Complete control over the HUD elements.
- Audio option to increase engine sound
- Ghost car visibility 100% to be really 100%
- Collisions to have more impact on the speed of the car.
- No rubberbanding
- TV style replays
- Color options after selecting vehicle

TV settings / performance definitely have a bigger impact on games than most people are aware. I remember playing destiny beta on ps4 straight after reading the df analysis praising the graphics, especially the i.q. Couldn't understand therefor why the game looked so terrible on my TV, with really rough i.q completely at odds with the df article. Turns out some of the settings which made all my movies look wonderful didn't work so well with games, in particular the default sharpness settings on my TV (set to moderate) was absolutely highlighting and exagerrating the aliasing. On games that are already suspectible to aliasing, like Driveclub, I can imagine some of the people a bit down on the graphics may have less than ideal TV calibration.

reektann

So just to clarify. Is it worth playing whilst the servers are ruined - as in will the points retroactively unlock when I manage to finally create a club? I've held off playing as I don't want to suddenly have a Level 1 club about 20 hours in :/

Edit: Ugh - just read up and it looks like they wont. I will continue to sit in the corner and wait.

le-seb

If you don't want to buy anything or hire someone, poke around AVS forums for the model of your tv. Sometimes people with gear will post their settings. Or you could ask in one of the owners club threads. I think gaf might have a monitor thread as well.
Yep, it's not that hard to find proper (i.e. gathered using a probe and analysis software) settings for colour calibration of most TVs in AV forums.

Having proper colour settings makes 80% of the job done.
Note that if you're coming from factory settings, you'll probably find neutral colour settings super dull.
You'll get used to them and won't ever look back, however.

Then, you need to find the settings helping to reduce the latency.
If your TV has a game or PC mode, use them for your console, as they generally bypass any digital filter.

And there's finally the infamous image sharpener/softener setting that needs to be killed.

Sometimes, you'll find advices in your TV's owner manual or on the maker's web site.

Bumhead

Banned
I've booted this game up every day since Tuesday and have managed to connect to the servers once.

Particularly frustrating as I actually REALLY like the game itself.

It's not good enough, really. Forgetting the Plus version for a minute, this is still a full price $60 product that just doesn't work. I like to think I have a reasonably tolerant attitude to this sort of stuff but this is starting to push it a little.

Vizzeh

Banned

Im certainly no industry expert but have read alot on the basics from them, what has been absorbed is a different story lol.

General tv setup

-Ensure blacks + Whites are visable throughout the range 16-235 using Brightness for blacks and contrast for whites - adjust using test paterns found on images below.

- To keep it simple make sure your TV is set to RGB limited, PS4 also. My tv supports RGB Full but have found there to be some sort of processing going on with it through the HDMI port (VGA is different). Most recommend limited anyway, BlueRay also use this range. Means you do not have to constantly switch on PS4 Video output. Win/Win.

- Check sharpness is not set too high, typically by reading text/lines, ensure they are sharp/clear without any jaggies/artifacts around them

-Hope your HDMI cable is not damaged, as they say digital is digital so wouldnt purchase any expensive ones, typically a middlerange one, mostly as it has thicker, stronger cables with good signal Interference protection. If a cable is too tangled or wires have been damaged as far as am aware it can cause "errors" which may effect the picture.

For gaming:

-If your tv supports it, set your HDMI lable to "PC", also ensure if it has it, enable "game mode"
-Double check in your setting menu that there are no post processing on, turn off dynamic colour, dynamic contrast, Tru-motion or video smoothing function, Local dimming off or atmost set too "low" if necessary while playing a dark game. (LEDTV)

In PS4 browser load these to check ranges: (will quote so images take up less space)
Brightness check
fullrgb_test.jpg
contrast check :

Below is a very good video made by a "GAMER" with good knowledge + info on how to setup similar as I described (but likely better lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJO8JG7SS4&list=UU7Jo0VTzeyYbZ8cVk3k-EhA

TV settings / performance definitely have a bigger impact on games than most people are aware. I remember playing destiny beta on ps4 straight after reading the df analysis praising the graphics, especially the i.q. Couldn't understand therefor why the game looked so terrible on my TV, with really rough i.q completely at odds with the df article. Turns out some of the settings which made all my movies look wonderful didn't work so well with games, in particular the default sharpness settings on my TV (set to moderate) was absolutely highlighting and exagerrating the aliasing. On games that are already suspectible to aliasing, like Driveclub, I can imagine some of the people a bit down on the graphics may have less than ideal TV calibration.

I notice it massively on dark games, the details in colours, shadows, lighting that come out on a calibrated TV are jaw dropping, also on low fps games if not set correctly, can make them feel worse and 60fps game's are absolute bliss when running smoothly whilst properly setup.

actually, for calibration, I'm going to try this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

Don't know if it'll be anygood as far as gaiming goes, but hey, it's free.

I have used this before, they have very good top quality range testers like I used above, with step by step instructions. This is good for setting up brightness, contrast + Sharpness, most of the colour stuff is a little more difficult as most options on your TV will likely be disabled when in "GAME" mode. Just need to make sure that after using the above setup guide to also set up your tv for gaming

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't want to play online, I just want all the like...leaderboard functionality and stuff. Let me see if that is up and working.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is the first game to really make me hate having a glossy screen (and it isn't that glossy). On overcast/low sun tracks (which there are lots of) i'm basically staring at my own reflection unless I close all the curtains

Vizzeh

Banned
I don't want to play online, I just want all the like...leaderboard functionality and stuff. Let me see if that is up and working.

Yeah, it is a shame the challenge features are currently disabled.

Do we know if a challenge needs to be sent to see a friends best time/score during a specific tour? ie like Need for speed you get fastest section by your top5 friends automatically.

Xater

How dare you ask for such basic functionality!

Yeah it's super annoying that all this stuff is still not working. I stopped playing the game because of that. :(

GHG

This is what I want as well so we can get some proper time trials going.

The online community in this game is just like it is in any other racing game... Which is... Unfortunate.

MJLord

Im certainly no industry expert but have read alot on the basics from them, what has been absorbed is a different story lol.

General tv setup

-Ensure blacks + Whites are visable throughout the range 16-235 using Brightness for blacks and contrast for whites - adjust using test paterns found on images below.

- To keep it simple make sure your TV is set to RGB limited, PS4 also. My tv supports RGB Full but have found there to be some sort of processing going on with it through the HDMI port (VGA is different). Most recommend limited anyway, BlueRay also use this range. Means you do not have to constantly switch on PS4 Video output. Win/Win.

- Check sharpness is not set too high, typically by reading text/lines, ensure they are sharp/clear without any jaggies/artifacts around them

-Hope your HDMI cable is not damaged, as they say digital is digital so wouldnt purchase any expensive ones, typically a middlerange one, mostly as it has thicker, stronger cables with good signal Interference protection. If a cable is too tangled or wires have been damaged as far as am aware it can cause "errors" which may effect the picture.

For gaming:

-If your tv supports it, set your HDMI lable to "PC", also ensure if it has it, enable "game mode"
-Double check in your setting menu that there are no post processing on, turn off dynamic colour, dynamic contrast, Tru-motion or video smoothing function, Local dimming off or atmost set too "low" if necessary while playing a dark game. (LEDTV)

In PS4 browser load these to check ranges: (will quote so images take up less space)
Brightness check

contrast check :

Below is a very good video made by a "GAMER" with good knowledge + info on how to setup similar as I described (but likely better lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJO8JG7SS4&list=UU7Jo0VTzeyYbZ8cVk3k-EhA

I notice it massively on dark games, the details in colours, shadows, lighting that come out on a calibrated TV are jaw dropping, also on low fps games if not set correctly, can make them feel worse and 60fps game's are absolute bliss when running smoothly whilst properly setup.

I have used this before, they have very good top quality range testers like I used above, with step by step instructions. This is good for setting up brightness, contrast + Sharpness, most of the colour stuff is a little more difficult as most options on your TV will likely be disabled when in "GAME" mode. Just need to make sure that after using the above setup guide to also set up your tv for gaming

Cheers Vizzeh I'm going to go through this now! I'll let you know.

kyser73

This is the first game to really make me hate having a glossy screen (and it isn't that glossy). On overcast/low sun tracks (which there are lots of) i'm basically staring at my own reflection unless I close all the curtains

I was basically guessing about 1/3 of the Kinloch reverse race for my first couple of attempts - ended up going 3rd person just to see where the road was going.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
In my opinion, I reckon the reviews for this game would've been slightly better had Evolution not used those shitty FWD cars at all. The racing with those and the first semi decent RWD cars you unlock is like night and day. I really feel that first tier left a sour taste in many mouths.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Really like the game but i can't recall a racing game that had so many corner visibility issues, or at least i have them, even in plain daylight. I'm squinting my eyes so often just to make out where the hell im supposed to go next. Some additional visual elements would be really nice.

I have almost finished the sp without 1xp point earned for a club, or any mp interaction -that is just fucking sad. Glad i preordered the game a year ago and got it for 19€.

SiRatul

Anyone got a tip for the chungara challenge like which car is the best to use? I have yet to unlock the Gumpert and the Zonda R. I simply can't get the third star on this and the venom hot-lap.

Kiraly

Anyone got a tip for the chungara challenge like which car is the best to use? I have yet to unlock the Gumpert and the Zonda R. I simply can't get the third star on this and the venom hot-lap.

Don't think the Gumpert nor Zonda R will help better your time, the Venom is as good as it gets.

In my opinion, I reckon the reviews for this game would've been slightly better had Evolution not used those shitty FWD cars at all. The racing with those and the first semi decent RWD cars you unlock is like night and day. I really feel that first tier left a sour taste in many mouths.

For almost all of the bad reviews, I think Forza Horizon 2 has been a big part of the blame, people coming straight off that game into this one.

Hedrush

I've decided to pull the Internet on my PS4 whilst playing this. I'm earning all this fame and is not going into my club. Once the servers are up I'll delete my save and start again. The game is like crack so I've no issue restarting.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Really like the game but i can't recall a racing game that had so many corner visibility issues, or at least i have them, even in plain daylight. I'm squinting my eyes so often just to make out where the hell im supposed to go next. Some additional visual elements would be really nice.

I have almost finished the sp without 1xp point earned for a club, or any mp interaction -that is just fucking sad. Glad i preordered the game a year ago and got it for 19€.

Couldn't you just look at the minimap?

Konosuke

I've decided to pull the Internet on my PS4 whilst playing this. I'm earning all this fame and is not going into my club. Once the servers are up I'll delete my save and start again. The game is like crack so I've no issue restarting.

Won't you lose accolade progress if you delete it? Because completing accolades nets you around 100k fame on the later levels.

Fonds

Any clubs have room for a pretty decent driver?
Gotta get me them club cars. People holding out for the plus version is delaying the creation of my own club.

Hedrush

Won't you lose accolade progress if you delete it? Because completing accolades nets you around 100k fame on the later levels.

You do lose accolade progress yes and I'm not sure if I'll get it back. The server has me saved at driver level 15 with all my fame earned so far, so I'll get all that back when the servers are up and running I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom