• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 build quality. This is baffling.

I've had my DS4 for quite a while but I only use it as a PC controller. I haven't really put it to the test until recently when I started playing GTA V and now the left stick rubber is quickly showing signs of wear. I'll have to deal with it at some point. It's a real shame because I love the feel of the controller.

My triggers are fine, but R1 has started to stick something awful on my DS4 even though I've never spilled anything on it.

Gonna have to buy another one as it's negatively affecting Bloodborne gameplay.

bombshell

I had my almost launch DS4 replaced under warranty in December, because the left stick rubber was completely destroyed.

The new one is still in mint condition after nearly 6 months, so I'm happy.

Duxxy3

Eww green!
and the texture on the middle is horrible!

how hard are these to install, anyone ever tried these?

615P8ytrhOL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IL92TSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Once you get used to taking apart the controller it's easy. But... it's entirely possible for you to break the triggers and screw up the touchpad if you're not careful.

Skyzard

Banned
PS4 controllers look so good and I always feel like picking one up but I want it to last a generation without fail. Since the original reports about the analogue rubber coming off I'm super hesitant. Was hoping to hear something from them about a fix but I guess they don't want to deal with the replacements. Did they secretly fix it anyway? I'm sure not everyone was affected the same way but is it still being reported from 1 year-ish owners?

dh4niel

I haven't had a problem with my DS4. I bought thumbstick covers after hearing about the rubber peeling on GAF but took them off as I don't like the feel of them.

The controller that came with my 360 is still in fine shape, hell the controller that came with my SNES still works like the day I got it, yet the rubber is coming off the thumbstick on my DS4 and I've had to take the controller apart and put it back together to keep the R1 button from sticking. I'm just living with the rubber issue for now, but it's getting to the point where it's effecting how I play.

kiguel182

On my case the rubber on the left stick is breaking. It sucks that this is happening just one year and half after buying it especially since controllers are really expensive.

IvanJ

Banned
Rubber on the sticks are so crappy, that I decided to preventively place ORB caps over them from DayOne. Had I not done that, I'm sure I would have barren plastic by now.
The plastic also feels very cheap, guess one positive is that it is lighter, but still the entire controller feels like a cheap Chinese knockoff rathen than the original.
Add to that a ridiculously short battery life, and DS4 is certainly a few steps down from my previous experience (X360). But, at least I don't have to buy batteries and a proprietary charging cable, so...it evens out, I guess.

I love my PS4, shame they didn't put as much effort into its controller.

Az987

all good things
Yeah, my grip statred peeling off of my launch DS4 sticks about 6 months in so I replaced them with Xbox One sticks.

Then I realized my R2 was fucked when I couldn't shoot any revolvers in Battlefield 4 so I ended up replacing it with with an R2 I bought off Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

It works great now but its kind of ridiculous I needed to do all that.

Yeah it is terrible, I have my PS4 for over a year and a half and my first DS4 has already a complete worn out left stick and it also starting to have some sensibility issues that are terrible when I try to play TLOU MP. I am seriously piss off at the poor quality of the controller, even more when my DS3 lasted forever. Lest not even bring the Battery life into question. The design on itself is really good I like its shape when compared to DS3 but I mean come on you made a great design but fucked up the rest? WTF Sony?

MajorTom

Both of mine are fine. I had one last year though that had a broken analog stick. Pushing up didn't register. That was a launch controller though. Not had a single problem with another controller since.

Panthers

I absolutely love the DS4 (except the lightbar/battery life) but my launch DS4 is starting to lose the rubber on the left stick. They need to get better quality material for the analogs.

MUnited83

For you.
I only bought a PS4 recently so I don't have trigger issues or stixks. But one thing that is very noticeable is the quality of the bluetooth. Goddamn its awful. Get anything on the way between controller and console and you will have terrible input lago. A complete step down from the DS3 in that department. Damn thing would work fine even with two damn walls between controller and console.

Once you get used to taking apart the controller it's easy. But... it's entirely possible for you to break the triggers and screw up the touchpad if you're not careful.
I almost broke my touchpad because the controller basically exploded apart in my hands when I first opened it. Opening the second one was easier. Unless something changes I imagine I'll become very familiar with opening the controller.

ERMint13

My sticks have started to drift a little. I have close to probably 1200 hours on the system and two controllers. Each stick has the left one drift a little every once in awhile(rubber is perfect though). I'm assuming 800 hours in Destiny may have something to do with it. I probably have another 200 in BF4.

I'll probably just buy new controllers this summer.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The controllers are complete shit. I get a ton of complaints and returns on these damn things. =/ Battery life alone should have been enough for people to get up in arms.

nowarning

The DS4 I got with my launch PS4 was a bit iffy, R1 didn't press in all the way and the rubber on the analog sticks wore super quick. The R1 eventually rectified itself and I got some rubber covers for the sticks so it was alright in the end. Thinking about it, the right analog stick had started to drift away as well, before I got rid of the console. I've not had good experiences with Sony products the last 2 gens, I had 4 DS3 pads and the springs on R2/L2 went on all of them.

Duxxy3

I almost broke my touchpad because the controller basically exploded apart in my hands when I first opened it. Opening the second one was easier. Unless something changes I imagine I'll become very familiar with opening the controller.

Yeah once you've messed up one controller you have a better idea of what to be aware of. The ribbon cables are very delicate (and there are two of them). Do not tug on them. Be careful when removing the back shell because the triggers (and the fucking spring) can easily pop out.

phen0m24

I've had two R2's break on me now. They have a 1 year warranty on them, so Sony fixed for free. Gotta pay for shipping though.

Hood what did you have to do? I have one L3 that doesn't work, and two controllers with torn rubber which I guess I'm stuck with (launch)

My Anniversary edition controller has gone to shit. Loose buttons, creaky faceplate and a disgusting dead zone on the analogue sticks. Not sure if it's a coincidence or placebo-effect but I've noticed it more since my cousin dropped it on the floor.

I hope it's easy to contact Sony UK to sort it out. Once they do I don't think I'll have the heart to use it lol.

I remember before I sold my launch PS4, that controller was doing fine.

My triggers are fine, but R1 has started to stick something awful on my DS4 even though I've never spilled anything on it.

Gonna have to buy another one as it's negatively affecting Bloodborne gameplay.

I said earlier in this topic, but this is a very very easy fix. You definitely do not need to get another controller. Look up a youtube video, but it is as simple as popping out the button and cleaning off the pegs underneath, then popping it back on. I did it and it works absolutely perfectly now.

Fjordson

It definitely seems like a cheaply made controller. Or something just isn't working in the way it's constructed.

I have three DS4's: the white Destiny bundle one, an urban camo one and a wave blue one. They all work fine, and the rougher textured thumbstucks on the new urban camo and wave blue pads is holding up decently, but I can just feel them already breaking down. The sticks are oddly loose lately on the urban camo one and the wave blue's triggers are starting to creak really loudly and they feel a little sticky.

Out of the box the controller is practically perfect, just sucks that all of them have started to show wear and tear after only 2-3 months.

Im still using my launch PS4 and haven't had any issues with the rubber on the sticks (greasy fingers) and haven't had any issues with the buttons sticking.

Have you tried going black?

I mean I only need two controllers. I already spent $60 more on the third because the first two fucked up, and now it's fucked up too.

Can't make myself give Sony more money just for another shoddy product. I kinda just play X1 and Wii U more often now. It sucks.

there was a bad batch at release but the controller I got a few months later (and use for hours every day) still looks and works perfectly. like the day I got it even.
build quality is perfect now.

Idk about that.

I have a launch controller with the rubber peeling off but R2 works fine but the green triangle button sticks sometimes. Bought a blue controller 6 months ago and the r2 is fucked.

I want to buy another controller but I hesitant. I want conformation by Sony that these issues are fixed.

Dahaka

Do the sticks of the Xbox One controller have the same problem?

I bought two recently and want to take precaution and buy the same caps for them if it's a known thing.

On Demand

Banned
The latest models were suppose to fix the build quality problems? The blue controller I got a few months ago feels much better than the one that came with the PS4. I also have another black one that has completely different material on the sticks.

I said earlier in this topic, but this is a very very easy fix. You definitely do not need to get another controller. Look up a youtube video, but it is as simple as popping out the button and cleaning off the pegs underneath, then popping it back on. I did it and it works absolutely perfectly now.

I'll give this a shot, thanks.

Dysun

My PS4 controller has had rubber peel from both sticks, and a broken spring in the right trigger. Total shit job, my PS1/PS2/PS3 controllers are all in better shape

Carbonox

I'm on my third controller since launch. Amazon have replaced the previous two for nothing so kudos to them for that. Newest controller is still in prime shape though and the sticks feel more sturdier than previous models (it's the blue controller) so hopefully it lasts.

Syntsui

This rubber peeling problem (getting all sticky and oiled) comes from way before, since the PSone era I think. How the fuck they keep using the same shit material? It's got to be the glue.

I had a DS4 start making random inputs when I squeezed the controller even slightly. Thankfully Sony was willing to repair it even though the warranty had ended a couple of months before.

So, let's summarize:

• Crappy battery life. Especially aggravating considering things like an option to turn the damn light off would improve this but somehow that option is not available for the user despite abundant requests.
  • Bad quality rubber on the thumbsticks that wears off quickly or gets uncomfortably sticky
  • Creaky sounds on buttons or build
  • Overall fragility (many complaints about broken, unresponsive buttons after less than one year of use)
  • All of that on a 60$ price tag
  • 18 months after the release, Sony is still manufacturing the same low-quality controllers

Did I miss anything? What the hell is Sony waiting for to address this?

Top Bottom