• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 build quality. This is baffling.

DJ_Lae

The rubber on mine is starting to wear, but only slightly. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it's holding up given some of the complaints, so I assume I got lucky.

My Xbox One controller is holding up well too although there I had to break the warranty seal to tighten the screw behind it as the controller came loose in the box (it was a white one so I didn't want to risk them fucking up a replacement). I also tightened the sides, and there I have a huge complaint about how those two grip backplates are designed as they never go back in as tight as they came out.

Not a fan of the controller at all but it is still miles ahead of the PS3 Controller, the battery life is the worst thing about it.

The XB1 Controller is much better but both of mine creak every time I use it. Like the plastic moulds don't line up and have to be clicked in each time.

I've already gone through 4 of them since launch. They eventually start pulling either left or right, or the R3 button can get in an angle where pushing it won't respond.

Which sucks cause they are expensive.

The latest models were suppose to fix the build quality problems? The blue controller I got a few months ago feels much better than the one that came with the PS4. I also have another black one that has completely different material on the sticks.

Has this been confirmed? If this is true there must be some serial or model version number we can use to buy non-crappy controllers...

I got 2 at launch and the rubber came off, got them replaced by Sony warranty about a year ago and they've been perfect since then. And I use them a lot including insane FIFA games with friends.

Maybe they still have some of the controllers from shitty batch on sale?

Adaren

I've used my DS4 for < 100 hours total and the L2 is starting to squeak.

I don't even parry that much in Bloodborne. I can't have hit it more than 300 times max.

Since everyone is already posting anecdotally, here's my impressions.

I own 2 DS4s, one I use with my PS4 the other on PC. My PC DS4 gets far more usage than my launch PS4's controller. I am very gentile on my controllers and have also probably logged probably around 400 hours on the two controllers combined (a tiny amount considering it's over a year and a half).

The only issue I have is with my launch DS4. The left stick is sticky. Every once in a while I'll sprinkle a tiny bit of baby powder on it and it feels fine. I don't have any issues with buttons sticking or triggers breaking on either controller. I guess battery life is abysmal with the PS4 but I'm so used to plugging in devices at night that it's a non-issue.

I know that I won't buy another controller again until they totally fix the build quality. I'll keep Frankensteining them unless I get total failure.

So, let's summarize:

• Crappy battery life. Especially aggravating considering things like an option to turn the damn light off would improve this but somehow that option is not available for the user despite abundant requests.
  • Bad quality rubber on the thumbsticks that wears off quickly or gets uncomfortably sticky
  • Creaky sounds on buttons or build
  • Overall fragility (many complaints about broken, unresponsive buttons after less than one year of use)
  • All of that on a 60$ price tag
  • 18 months after the release, Sony is still manufacturing the same low-quality controllers

Did I miss anything? What the hell is Sony waiting for to address this?

1.the battery has a 6-8 hour life for me, it's way more than I can play games in one day.
you can now charge it while the ps4 is in rest mode.
2.The Bad quality rubber is not a fact, it depended on the user
3.see above
4.yes it's 60$ , sometimes you can snag deals

Both of the controllers i bought on launch day have broken R2 buttons, the rubber is coming off of the stick already on one.

Build quality is shit. Sony needs to fix this.

Yup. I have two. On one the L2 button keeps getting triggered and on the other clicking on the left stick doesn't work correctly and keeps missing.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I agree totally. The triggers and the sticks are of such poor quality that I cannot believe how shit they are. My touchpad is also starting to act weird and I fear soon I'll have to pay up another 60$

Hoodbury

Hood what did you have to do? I have one L3 that doesn't work, and two controllers with torn rubber which I guess I'm stuck with (launch)

I talked with Sony support using their 'chat with a support person' thing. He wanted me to take a picture of my receipt to prove it was still under it's 1 year warranty but I don't have any of that fancy technology to do that. He then just accepted it (since the PS4 hadn't been out for a year anyway) and gave me a claim number and I mailed it in.

I had some light rubber wear, but more concerning was that I had a deadzone near the top of the thumbstick that I noticed really bad in TLOU. Got it replaced right before the warranty period ended.

That's it. No PS4 for me. Seems Sony can't make a decent controller. Either it feels like crap in my hand like the DS2 or DS3, or the rubber peels off and the triggers squeak and the battery life sucks like the DS4 according to everyone in this thread.

WTH Sony?

I don't want a XBone either, so I guess I don't know what I'm gonna do after my 360 backlog is finished.

1.the battery has a 6-8 hour life for me, it's way more than I can play games in one day.
3.see above
The battery life is abysmal. You can't counter argue that. I have to charge my ps4 controller every 2-3 days. I have to charge my XB1 controllers every 2-3 weeks. It's not a small difference it's massive.

clav

That's it. No PS4 for me. Seems Sony can't make a decent controller. Either it feels like crap in my hand like the DS2 or DS3, or the rubber peels off and the triggers squeak and the battery life sucks like the DS4 according to everyone in this thread.

WTH Sony?

I don't want a XBone either, so I guess I don't know what I'm gonna do after my 360 backlog is finished.

Xbox One controller has an issue with the plastic thumbsticks clicking within an year of use.

I think the sticks have trouble gripping around the bases that track movement. Some people posted fixes of stuffing paper or tape into the thumbsticks after taking their controllers apart.

Rumor mill says that Microsoft will unveil a redesigned controller sometime soon.

This is the controller that came with my console at launch. 80+ hours into Bloodborne and the rubber on the sticks didn't survive :( . The right stick is starting peal. Other than that, nothing else has any wear and tear.

8pFEMzy.jpg

Hoodbury

The battery life is abysmal. You can't counter argue that. I have to charge my ps4 controller every 2-3 days. I have to charge my XB1 controllers every 2-3 weeks. It's not a small difference it's massive.

It's weird, my original one that had the R2 button break had a decent battery life. I never remember it dying on me. But then my replacement one goes red after 3-4 hours.

I specifically remember early on everyone complaining about battery life but mine was never an issue. Then I sent that one in and bought a new one to replace it while they fixed it and it was bad like everyone was saying.

Melchiah

My launch DS4's left stick started tearing eight-nine months after the launch, and went worse a couple of months from there. The newer one is still in good condition after about half a year. I haven't had any issues with the triggers.

I've got two controllers and I've been using them heavily since launch.

They're not showing any signs of wear so I guess I'm just lucky.

anddo0

I've had nothing but bad luck with the DS4

-Rubber: I've had this issue on two of the DS4s own.
-Left analog which developed a drifting issue..which Sony replaced, only to send me a controller with a bad battery
-Sticky R1
-Broken R2 button

Anyway you guys should look into analog stick covers.

Grip-iT works well for 2-3 months, but they soon become loose and barley stay on.
I've found that GelTabz work better.:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOOSV98/?tag=neogaf0e-20

AgeEighty

Barely any signs of wear at all on my launch controller (except a minor notch on one stick where the bunny tried to chew it), and I've put hundreds of hours of use on it.

ironcreed

Banned
I was so worried about all these issues before I got my PS4 last year, but my DS4 is still rock solid. Other than the battery life, the controller is amazing.

DJ_Lae

The XB1 Controller is much better but both of mine creak every time I use it. Like the plastic moulds don't line up and have to be clicked in each time.

Yeah, the way they designed the two backplates results in them always feeling a little loose. It reminds me a bit of the Dual Shock 3 where if I squeeze it with any force at all the entire thing creaks.

Left stick wouldn't click in on my first one. Got a replacement and the left trigger is getting stuck. Pretty disappointed with the controller's quality.

PStew

Neo Member
If anyone is considering or on the fence about replacing DS4 analog sticks with Xbox One analog sticks, DO IT. Replaced both my DS4's with new Xbox one sticks about two months ago and couldn't be happier.

eXistor

I still don't get the praise for the DS4, it's the worst controller Sony has made yet, and it's not just the build quality (which really is shit). There are sharp edges on the triggers, the sticker on the back is poorly positioned (I constantly scratch my nails on it, damaging the label very quickly), the light that still can't be turned off, the absolutely useless touch-pad, the almost undetectable options and share buttons (I just press in its general location hoping to hit one).

Servbot24

Banned

My controller is always plugged in, so I never notice, but yeah 3 hours is not acceptable. A 3+ hour session is not that uncommon for a lot of people.

Sora_N

I modded mine with xbone sticks. It was kind of annoying and I had to fix the touchpad and then the triggers several times. Was sorta fun though

Build quality is utter shit. Like you, I love the ergonomics of thing. Easily my favourite pad ever in that regard, but my R2 button hinge broke from nothing more than usual usage. When I had it replaced, the guy on the phone knew immediately what my problem was, so it's definitely not a rarity.

spyder_ur

Totally agree that the build quality of the controller is a joke.

Mine has the following problems:
-Squeaky triggers (any fixes?)
-Rubber peeling off sticks
-Seemingly 4-6 hours of battery life, even less if I'm playing Destiny Mic'd up - Basically I have to be ready to plug it in at any moment.

And no option to turn off the light bar is terrible.

inki

I have a launch day ps4 and DS4, I did cover the analog sticks with a silicon Gecko Pad thing but no issues with anything on the controller yet.. I played HUNDREDS of hours on Destiny alone, add BF4 in and we gots an addiction.

I've VERY gentle with my controllers though, I set the sensitivity high so I don't need to bang the analog stick into the housing. Don't think I even fully engage the triggers - just until the action happens.

Maybe I got lucky and didn't get one of the bad ones?

todd360

I haven't had any problems with the buttons. Its just the rubber quality of the sticks. Its so bad. I even bought a white ds4 with the newer version of the sticks compared to launch controllers and there wearing down. Left stick has a cut on the bottom and I have no idea how it happened. Still usable, but it bothers me that any new ds4 will look like shit after a few months of play.

Edit: Its a shame since its my favorite controller ever. Even with the problems the controller is amazing. They need to make a updated model.

LAA

I got a custom painted DS4 actually (gold), but the problem I've had with both my launch and current one is the rumble motors, or at least one of them.
Just sounds too loud and it sounds like it's rattling against the side of the controller slightly causing a louder noise.

Lothars

3.see above

Agreed, I have had a ps4 since launch and never an issue with the controller. It definitely can be some badly produced controllers but I don't think they all have this issue.

WTH Sony?

The controller is incredible, It's one of the best controllers made. Build Quality must vary on the person but nobody that has ps4 around me has experienced that issue. I am not saying it doesn't happen but it's not every controller.

Top Bottom