• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 build quality. This is baffling.

hesido

My original DS4 that came with the has its Left stick worn out. The extra controller I bought some months later is getting worn out too. Mind you, I'm not even playing a heck lot of it anymore, compared to PS3. I think I must have easily played 8-10x with the DS3 and it's still good.

My brother's DS4 left stick is decimated, not even worn out. R2 is a goner. Sure he plays the hell out of it, of course the DS3's took much more beating.

So add these 3 DS4's to your stats.

2.The Bad quality rubber is not a fact, it depended on the user

I can safely say that the bad quality rubber is a fact. It's not dependent on the user, it's dependent on the controller. The amount of gaming I did with my second DS4 is ridiculously low but I can already see where it's going to be torn apart.

I've had two DS4s since launch. Both have seen equal, heavy, use (I alternate).

The only issue I have is one of them has an overly clicky/sticky PS button. It started out of the blue about 2 months after getting them. I believe it is a defect, since I always wash my hands prior to using my gaming stuff (and often in general).

So, yes I have one minor defect, but the button still works and otherwise the controllers are basically perfect. Rubber hasn't worn excessively, triggers don't creak or anything.

I really wonder why some controllers seem so fragile and others are holding up well (thankfully).

OuterLimits

I like the feel of the controller but damn is the battery life horrid. It barely lasts longer than my Wii U gamepad. At least that has a screen on it.

The light is slightly annoying as well.

I was just about to make a thread about the absolutely shit battery life. I have to make sure to plug it in after every session because it seems like if I leave it overnight the battery drains completely.

Inexcusable.

dA5IUA1.png

It's not only the DS4 itself, but the PS4 build quality as a whole is below every other Sony-made console I've ever owned. My sticks are still fine though.

With PS4 they wanted to opt for off the shelf components and cheap price, so they have to cut something in order to reach their goals and can't control quality on every component themselves as that will rise prices for custom device manufacturing. However electronics industry itself seen pretty big decline in build quality last few years for me in most of them because companies figured it out that devices are meant to last only 2-5 years mostly now and they are cutting some quality to offer good price. And PS4/DS4 build quality issues are not universal and only bothers minority but for now still these issues have fixes for most without sony help. Hopefully in future sony acknowledges these issues and make it perfect for everyone.

Tigress

In short, what the hell Sony? I used the same DS3 for 5 years straight with the only issues being the sticks wearing smooth. I used the same DS2 for 8 years before the rubber fell off of the sticks.

The DS4 ergonomics are amazing and I love it, but hot damn is the build quality crap.

You're lucky on that one. I never had a DS2 last more than a few months, it really pissed me off (and at the time while I liked Playstation I still had little faith in Sony and that didn't help). It seems to me that DS2's and DS4's break easily (never had an issue with my PSX controllers or my PS3 controllers).

And I honestly don't abuse my controllers.

First time I ever bought a non OEM controller was recently for my PS2 in hopes maybe that one would last better than the OEM ones (Though I like the feel of hte sticks on the OEM better, oh well).

RedAssedApe

Banned
yep. battery life is pretty bad. luckily i was able to take advantage of that deal a few months back to get a half off DS4.

the newer ds4 had a harder plastic material for the sticks. so far i haven't noticed any wear...unlike the more tacky/rubbery sticks that were in the launch ds4.

knock on wood...

Carl

No issues at all with either of my launch day DS4s but clearly a lot of people are having issues. Sucks that so many of them are buggered.

cooreets

Neo Member
DS3 < DS4.

Had it for less than a year, so far it's shown to be superior in every way. idk, the build quality seems top notch for it's price range, I've dropped it a couple of times too - it survived and works perfectly.

nel e nel

Yeah, the battery life is pretty whatevs, but hey, at least I'm not spending money on batteries. I just got one of these:

usb-extension-cable-uec11406021882.jpg

and I'm good to go.

As for the rubber, I don't know. I'm inclined to say it's user dependent. I had several 360 controllers have the rubber get worn down on the left stick because I had a tendency to unconsciously dig my fingernails into it. I mean, there's a whole cottage industry just for replacing that part.

nordique

I didn't believe in the poor DS4 quality until it happened to me. I am not a heavy gamer at all, and my R1 button started to stick inside the controller (on both my controllers) inexplicably. I clean the controllers often and I am by no means a button masher.

For a controller that is, imo, the best controller Sony has ever had by a wide margin, it sure is crap(ier) quality compared to their earlier controllers.

gaming since the n.e.s, ps4 controller was the first ever to break.
r2 trigger snapped, had to buy a replacement button on eBay and fix myself. only had my ps4 for 3 weeks and it broke, awful quality.

kingkaiser

that 399 needed to come from something.

I kind of understand why Sony went with super cheap materials at the beginning of this gen.

From a financial standpoint they were almost finished back then, like a desperate gambler clutching food money in one hand while coarsely rattling dice in the other...but they won.

Since the PS4 is making them huge money now, there is no more excuse for this shitty build quality.

Jo-El

I had to replace two of mine recently. One from launch and the other I had just purchased in November. The rubber went on both and the R1 button started sticking on the newer one. It's shocking Sony continues shipping such a shoddy product :/

w00zey

I've had 2 different controllers sticks start to peel and lost one controllers R2 that just snapped off. My brother has lost a trigger on two separate controllers but I can't attest to how gentle he is. I know for me I did nothing out of the norm.

Nyx

I've sent back 2 DS4s because of torn rubber on the left stick and one of the replacements had a broken R2 button.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I had a bad one (bad left stick - not a rubber issue) after 6-7 months - can't recall exact time. The new one they sent me is going strong.

Fbh

My experience with it has been pretty good.

My Launch DS4 is still in near perfect condition (rubber on the left analog stick is a bit damaged). And ithas been getting a ton of use because I also use it on PC

I actually had way more problems with my Dualshock 3 (not to mention that it was WAY less comfortable)

n0razi

So, I just had to fix my R2 trigger yesterday. I bought a white DS4 back in November and I guess between Battlefield and COD I fucked up the trigger. I open it up, which was a pain in the ass too, it's locked together tight, I break one of the pegs off of the right trigger in the process, and I lose the spring. Great.

Apparently it'll work without the spring, it'll just feel a little less tense. Then I see the infamous blade on the trigger that activates the button but slowly destroys the rubber nipple in the process. So I decided to open up my launch DS4 which I stopped using a while ago and thankfully manage to get the trigger and spring out intact and just swap them.

Works fine now, but I went on Amazon and bought a ten pack of replacement triggers. I've been using a grip so my sticks haven't worn, though I'm now afraid that playing Advanced Warfare will eventually destroy my left stick.

In short, what the hell Sony? I used the same DS3 for 5 years straight with the only issues being the sticks wearing smooth. I used the same DS2 for 8 years before the rubber fell off of the sticks.

The DS4 ergonomics are amazing and I love it, but hot damn is the build quality crap.

sounds like you got one of the bad initial batches (it all the ones with the stick covers wearing off early). i have a white destiny bundle and it gets played heavily with no issues

joecanada

You can fix this very easily. Look up a youtube video. It is just a matter of popping out the button and cleaning the pegs underneath

Yes I need to do this. I did return a couple controllers for sticky r1 but the fix honestly looks easier than returning it lol

Yibby

My launch DS4 is still in a good condition even after 100h of Bloodborne lately. It's still a shame that so many DS4s have so many problems.

I'm still on my launch controller and it looks/feels as new as the day I got it. I feel like I lucked out hearing all these stories about DS4s having various issues.

Jeez. You guys sure do play hard. And long. And hard.

I still have all of the original Playstation controllers ranging from the PS1 all the way to the PS4. This includes the original PS1 that didn't include analog, PS1 with analog, and PS1 with dualshock vibration. All of em appear in good working condition besides some dust. Even the rubber feels grippy and never smooth. Also the triggers work fine as well all of the other buttons. I think the only part of the PS1 and PS2 controllers that I feel might be threatened by damage would be the wire/cables themselves. I always wrap the wire around the center of the controller to save space, and only to unwind em when I pull the console out to play classic games.

With that being said, I did take apart a couple of DS4 controllers so that I can disable the lightbright to save battery. Seemed easy enough. I didn't notice anything that would cause alarm by just taking a few good peaks at the internals. I'm not an expert at electronics though.

Tygamr

My DS4 has been free of all the common issues people have had with them. The only things wrong with it are from my girlfriend and my dog (I've already gone through one controller because she spilt coffee on it).

VariantX

Launch controller was shit, rubber started to wear off within a week. Bought a replacement controller about a little over a year later after the R2 and analog sticks suddenly started to fail. The replacement has so far been perfect, no visible wear on the rubber, the triggers work perfectly, the sticks havent begun to drift to the point where games are unplayable. Whatever was wrong with the old controllers seems to be fixed in the new batches.

Dynasty8

I take very good care of all my hardware, but the rubber on my my left analog stick is fucked. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

No problems yet over here. I put some silicone lubricant into the R2 triggers on my two controllers because they were a little squeaky other than that they've been the best PC controllers I've had.

They're even compatible with my Bloodborne machine.

My GF's 20th Anniversary PS4's trigger is painfully squeeky.

It started within 5 hours of gameplay...

Yeah, just spray a tiny amount of silicone lubricant in the hinge there and the problem will go away.

My sticks are still fine but my DS4's rumble has started to get very loud, like the mechanism needs repairing. It's really weird and kind of annoying.

Sectus

I've got 2 DS4s where the material on the sticks is starting to peel off. It's pretty annoying as I really like the controller besides that issue

Calcium

Banned
The material on my thumb sticks started to peel off so I put some thumb grips on them to prevent further wear. Other than that I haven't had any problems with my DS4. Hopefully by the time I need to replace it they get it all sorted out.

SummitAve

Banned
There is something different wrong on every controller I got. The quality is shit plain and simple.

edit: I've got all white stuff

$h@d0w

Urban camo controller here - absolutely no issues.

Whatever problems there were, have been fixed already.

So, let's summarize:

• Crappy battery life. Especially aggravating considering things like an option to turn the damn light off would improve this but somehow that option is not available for the user despite abundant requests.
  • Bad quality rubber on the thumbsticks that wears off quickly or gets uncomfortably sticky
  • Creaky sounds on buttons or build
  • Overall fragility (many complaints about broken, unresponsive buttons after less than one year of use)
  • All of that on a 60$ price tag
  • 18 months after the release, Sony is still manufacturing the same low-quality controllers

Did I miss anything? What the hell is Sony waiting for to address this?

I think it has been said countless times that the lightbar is not to blame, but that touchpad/speaker is... regardless, it definitely is a lame battery life.

My thumbsticks are surprisingly undamaged, but they did smooth out fast. I miss the launch grip.

My R1 button did get sticky sometimes, but that has since stopped on its own.

They really can't wait another generation for a new controller update. Damn, I'll take a new controller over a new console design.

Santar

There's no question that the build quality on the DS 4 is pretty crap.
I've had my sixaxis PS3 controller for about 8 years now and it still works like a charm.
My DS4's right trigger has already starting to wear after less than a year of very little use.

Incredibly disappointing that sony have skimped so much on the quality this gen.
Equally as disappointing is that so many people just accept the faults with the controller as no big deal.

I ended up having to replace the triggers on one of my launch controllers not so long ago. It was totally my own fault though. I was having a hard time with a boss on Bloodborne and was clearly pulling on those triggers like my life depended on it, then of all a sudden the trigger won't bounce back. It's a shame, but it's also no big deal for me since the parts are dirt cheap and it takes about 10 minutes to pop the controller open and swap them out.

Top Bottom