• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 build quality. This is baffling.

th4tguy

I love the texture of the sticks when the controller is new but they wear out so damn fast. I'm using grips on them but I hate having to do that

Also had the squeaky trigger issue

Take a number 2 pencil and rub the tip along the underside of the trigger right along the part where it meets with the controller. Once you've done this a few times, press the trigger in a few times. Fixes the squeak and any stickiness, usually for good.

So, I just had to fix my R2 trigger yesterday. I bought a white DS4 back in November and I guess between Battlefield and COD I fucked up the trigger. I open it up, which was a pain in the ass too, it's locked together tight, I break one of the pegs off of the right trigger in the process, and I lose the spring. Great.

Apparently it'll work without the spring, it'll just feel a little less tense. Then I see the infamous blade on the trigger that activates the button but slowly destroys the rubber nipple in the process. So I decided to open up my launch DS4 which I stopped using a while ago and thankfully manage to get the trigger and spring out intact and just swap them.

Works fine now, but I went on Amazon and bought a ten pack of replacement triggers. I've been using a grip so my sticks haven't worn, though I'm now afraid that playing Advanced Warfare will eventually destroy my left stick.

In short, what the hell Sony? I used the same DS3 for 5 years straight with the only issues being the sticks wearing smooth. I used the same DS2 for 8 years before the rubber fell off of the sticks.

The DS4 ergonomics are amazing and I love it, but hot damn is the build quality crap.

I got flamed for saying that about 12 months ago but i agree with you and ill also throw in the ps4 itself is cheaply built.

The vent placement is a dust collector...the finish on the outside of the console also gets dirty very quick....the fan on the earlier ps4s is fucking loud...the case itself is not level and probably my most annoying thing....when the ps4 heats up it sends heat through the rubber on the base which causes the eject button to think someone is pressing the eject button....really annoying.....i cant wait for a slim model

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I feel like this thread is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

No, there is a mountain alright. The rubber peels. It really does. there is something seriously wrong with it. I've never had anything like this happen to any of my controllers, EVER! And I've had dozens. It happened on both my original DS4 and the sony replacement.

There are not "a few DS4" with this problem. It's very widespread. Think RROD percentage of failure or more.

Customers have to buy stick covers to keep using their DS4 after a few months. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it will eventually.

Dunlop

They are just shit build quality.

I replaced one of my defective DS4's (launch window) with a white one a few months ago.

Now both my DS4's have rips on their analogue stick, it's my kids using it mostly but I have never had this issue on my Wii/360/PS3/XB1/WiiU and it is not like they are more abusive with just the PS4

What slays me now is these turds are freaking $75 in Canada now lol

Raonak

Banned
The black one I got when infamous came out felt a bit dodgy, a little of the rubber has gone. But my white one feels really solid.

Build quality seems better than the sixaxis about on par with DS3.

My L2 squeaks, and that's all the problems I've encountered. My Dualshock 3 couldn't even hold a charge and it was essentially a wired controller. On the other hand I just played Tony Hawk 3 without any problems on my original, launch PS2 with my original controller. What the fuck, Sony?

Take a number 2 pencil and rub the tip along the underside of the trigger right along the part where it meets with the controller. Once you've done this a few times, press the trigger in a few times. Fixes the squeak and any stickiness, usually for good.

Yep, ive had to resort to this and oddly enough, ive only had to do it once and the triggers keep the lubricant. It's weird.

Hate the analog sticks. The surface isn't large enough. Also the dpad isn't as good as the PS3s. To this day, I never see the light on my controller since the tv is elevated. The whole color changing thing in games is such a useless feature. I don't need a light to tell me I'm dying in game. The touch pad is more useful for PC than it is for PS4 games.

i've had a ps4 and my packed ds4 about 6 months now and sticks haven't peeled at all but are so smooth now. it's at least similar, if not smoother with less traction, than even my 2 year old ds3 stick. it also retains oil more from your hands. i never feel my ds3 (which i use just as often yet) is slippery but if i'm playing any sort of shooter, for the first time with a controller, i'll actually use a dry tissue to wipe the top of the sticks to make sure they have added traction. the ds4 sticks material stays more oily than the ds3 sticks and wears down faster. i have another new ds4 here now and it's such a big difference for any sort of precision or high sensitivity aiming. love the controller huge improvement over the ds3 but the material has horrible after a few months.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm glad I saw this thread. I thought it was just shit rubber on the sticks (easily remedied) but all of these general build quality issues for me just tell me that Sony don't want my money. It's a shame, because it really does seem like the best controller for PC (Wii U Pro has the best feel but swapped buttons and strange dead zones affect its usability). I guess I'll just have to go Xbone.

Unless anyone can give me a clue as to why I can't get my DS3 to work with Win8.1.

My theory is that they had to reduce the quality to be able to add the touchpad and lightbar and keep the price at $60.

I had to replace the sticks on both my DS4s. And I've cleaned out a sticking R1 on one (did that a few months ago, need to do it again), and the other one's headphone jack creates too much interference to be usable.

btw, replacing the thumbsticks is easy-peasy. just need a size 00 Phillips screwdriver. And I actually am liking my replacement sticks more that the originals. (And they're still in one piece after months of use!)

big_z

my controller has been fine so far, it feels cheap and has flaws but still works.

the console itself reeks of cost cutting, the matte plastic on mine looks like its being slowly salted along the edges.

The battery life is just bad. And I had some problem with my square button getting stuck, but that was probably due to some dirt. But the pad is just 7 months old, shouldn't have that kind of problem yet. My old dual shocks functioned perfectly for years, with more use.

jusufin

The original DS4 that came with the launch ps4 was utter shit. I've had to replace the sticks due to peeling and the triggers on both sides because the same damn plastic piece keeps breaking on them.

The new DS4 definitely improved on the sticks, but I'm still not sure about the triggers. They haven't broken on me yet, but they don't seem all that different build wise from the old ones. The DS4 is the best feeling controller Sony has ever made (I like it more than my 360 controller which I still use for PC gaming), but the quality definitely isn't the best going by personal experience.

Macrotus

I haven't had any problems with my trigger buttons, but the rubber on my left stick started to peal off. So I decided to put one of those third part stick caps (?) on it.

BTW, my friend imported the sticks used in the XBO controllers from Amazon US and have put them on his DS4 and says its working nicely.

Fadobo

After a couple of Bloodbourne playthroughs, my R1 keeps getting stuck on a corner ON BOTH CONTROLLERS! (I switch for charging). Not enough to push the button in game, but it's really irritating.

web01

Its nice most people have come around to admit the build quality is shit.
At launch people were even denying the rubber stick issue existed.
Battery charge is also ridiculously short. It is sad they cheapened out since it is the best controller design wise. They sell if for a very high price so they are probably making nice money on every sale.

So, I just had to fix my R2 trigger yesterday. I bought a white DS4 back in November and I guess between Battlefield and COD I fucked up the trigger. I open it up, which was a pain in the ass too, it's locked together tight, I break one of the pegs off of the right trigger in the process, and I lose the spring. Great.

Apparently it'll work without the spring, it'll just feel a little less tense. Then I see the infamous blade on the trigger that activates the button but slowly destroys the rubber nipple in the process. So I decided to open up my launch DS4 which I stopped using a while ago and thankfully manage to get the trigger and spring out intact and just swap them.

Works fine now, but I went on Amazon and bought a ten pack of replacement triggers. I've been using a grip so my sticks haven't worn, though I'm now afraid that playing Advanced Warfare will eventually destroy my left stick.

In short, what the hell Sony? I used the same DS3 for 5 years straight with the only issues being the sticks wearing smooth. I used the same DS2 for 8 years before the rubber fell off of the sticks.

The DS4 ergonomics are amazing and I love it, but hot damn is the build quality crap.

I've replaced the sticks on all 3 of my launch DS4's and the triggers on one so far. You are right about how the trigger cuts into the silicone inside, it's a really poor mold design, not to mention the tiny plastic pins that keep it in there are easily broken. I think my next mod will be higher mAh batteries, since they don't hold charge worth a crap lol.

Given the choice of a new one for $70 CAD vs replacement ebay parts for $2 I opted for the diy approach =)

Bioshocker

There is no question the DS4 is a huge leap from the horrible DS3. But I agree that the build quality is... well, questionable. The 360 and One controllers are better in that regard, pure and simple.

Microsoft presumably invested 500 million in their controller for the Xbox One. Maybe Sony should have put at least 1/10 of that to make sure.

I haven't had a problem with my launch DualShock 4 untill last week when the left and down areas on the D-Pad and left analog stick became super sensative. It makes it a pain in the ass to make choices in Dragon Age and select between options and characters in Mortal Kombat. Other than those two games it doesn't become noticable but I ordered a new controller.

Klart

there was a bad batch at release but the controller I got a few months later (and use for hours every day) still looks and works perfectly. like the day I got it even.
build quality is perfect now.

Yup, my new controller sticks don't seem to have the same rubber problem (though with mine the rubber only came of when someone else used it, so it's def. also a way of handling the DS4 that matters).

Sjefen

My only problem with DS4 thus far, is my daughter spilled apple juice on my x button. Now its sluggish as hell, damn sugary beverage. Otherwise I think the build quality is far superior of the DS3, I cant count how many I bought over the years.....

Ushay

I feel they are gonna announce a controller redesign at E3

This would be best. Sony did a lot of things right, but the build quality on these wasn't one of them. They need to to just bite the bullet and make a great console even better.

People shouldn't have to perform 3rd hand surgery on their controllers to get them to 'acceptable' usability.

The rubber on my right analogue stick started peeling on my launch DS4 and then the stick broke and just kept turning right. I got it replaced and I haven't had any issues since.

I've had one since Dec.

It's gotten some pretty consistent play, and my only gripe, so far at least, is the battery life.

It's crap. I get maybe three hours on a full charge. Games that make use of the light drain it quicker. Guacamelee is the worst. Every time it flashes it seems to take it down by lotsa minutes.

Cyborg

DS4's has its problems

- R2 trigger
- Left analoge stick wearing off
- Battery

Still it's one of the best controllers Ive ever had.

Rephin

I've busted the R2 trigger on 3 controllers already. I've manually replaced each one, but this is annoying as hell. These triggers need better quality plastic. I should probably adjust my finger placement when pressing the triggers, but in the heat of the moment I probably press closer to where the hinge sits than the end of the triggers. All the same, the same trigger post breaks every time, so maybe Sony needs to go with something more durable.

Ugh. Sony finally designs a good controller and they completely fuck up the build quality and battery life.

At $60 they have to be making bank for how cheaply these things are made.

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
Both my DS4 from launch are still fine. No problem with the rubber or the triggers.
I have used them for hundreds of hours and still nothing.

Frodo

They did cut some corners. Luckily my DS4 is still fine *knock on wood*.

The casing of my PS4 however has a white line close to the PS4 logo. It is quite distracting and makes it look so very cheap.

Eww green!
and the texture on the middle is horrible!

how hard are these to install, anyone ever tried these?

615P8ytrhOL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IL92TSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I'm using these now after my ds4 sticks disintegrated. They feel sturdy and grippier than the stock ones, they're really well made.

Even with that issue I cited earlier... I still love this controller. The last Sony input device I had my hands on was the PS2 controller.

It all around sucked. One of the most uncomfortable I'd ever held, and my cousins DS3 didn't offer any improvements. DS4 feels like butter in my hands. My favorite controller since 360's. Right now it's my favorite classic style controller ever. Even with the crap battery life.

Maybe that will be different if I have to buy another before the end of the year. But the feel of it, is so improved for my hands than the last Sony controller I had used.

Justinh

The spring is failing causing the triggers to not return to the neutral position. They work without the springs as the rubber on the actual button is springy but you lose tension and it wears out that rubber faster especially because the triggers use a blade to press on the rubber instead of a flat surface.

Oh, well that's...unfortunate. I was afraid that I would lose mine and was relieved that all went well when I replaced my sticks. I hope they hold up now and don't wear out or "fail" in the future.

Yup Sony goofed badly on the controller once again, this time with build quality more than ergonomics. I don't own one but a few of my mates do and they have gone through several between them. Also every demo station in shops look like a tiger has mauled them.

The Fisher Price lighting and battery life are also really annoying, with the touchpad being an almost pointless inclusion.

4/10 Sony, must try harder next time.

P.S I would also agree that the build quality of the console itself is quite cheap and poor. I'm an engineer and slightly obsessive/ocd and so notice these things :)

But hey, they got the price right I suppose so can't complain too much.

tanuki

The China PS4 replacement sticks you can get on ebay are MUCH better than the OG sticks. I replaced mine (which started disintegrating after two weeks) and they've been perfect. I think they're made of plastic rather than rubber.

LegoArmo

Every single DS3 I've had is broken in some way, cheap shitty plastic controller.

My DS4s feel a bit better, but I did replace the sticks in one.

Tryin' to play MKX with the DS4 D-pad is like counting my hairs with box gloves on. DS3's was so much better. And let's not even begin to talk about the built quality... Total garbage. And the sticks become oily after 2 hours of gameplay and yes I wash my hands every time I play and I'm not a sweaty hands person.

PirateKing

Both my rubber analog sticks are 90% gone. Some of the buttons are sticky now. Worst controller I've used in the last decade.

How long did I play my PS4 with that controller? About three weeks.

Lazaro

Sony nowadays is cheap build quality but great hardware and good luck dealing with Sony Support.

Sadly the USB cable that came with my PS4 is having trouble supplying power to my controllers. I think this was mentioned in another thread.

Still, I find the DS4 to be a great controller for my PC and PlayStation gaming.

The controller feels good to hold, but yeah, build quality is garbage.

The rubber has almost entirely gone from the left stick of both of my pads. Never had that happen to any other controller I've owned, certainly not so quickly anyway.

It's not the biggest deal ever though. The battery life, or lack of, is a much more annoying issue.

Klart

The controller feels good to hold, but yeah, build quality is garbage.

The rubber has almost entirely gone from the left stick of both of my pads. Never had that happen to any other controller I've owned, certainly not so quickly anyway.

It's not the biggest deal ever though. The battery life, or lack of, is a much more annoying issue.

You can get replacements for free, you know.

Valnen

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I want Mad Catz to save us. Give us a normal gamepad on par with the fightsticks. I'd buy it. Sony is clearly never going to make this right themselves.

Think Sony would replace my launch DS4 with right stick drift? Probably not! Sucks because my system is unusable because of this and I can't afford to replace the damn thing myself right now.

Top Bottom