• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 build quality. This is baffling.

So, I just had to fix my R2 trigger yesterday. I bought a white DS4 back in November and I guess between Battlefield and COD I fucked up the trigger. I open it up, which was a pain in the ass too, it's locked together tight, I break one of the pegs off of the right trigger in the process, and I lose the spring. Great.

Apparently it'll work without the spring, it'll just feel a little less tense. Then I see the infamous blade on the trigger that activates the button but slowly destroys the rubber nipple in the process. So I decided to open up my launch DS4 which I stopped using a while ago and thankfully manage to get the trigger and spring out intact and just swap them.

Works fine now, but I went on Amazon and bought a ten pack of replacement triggers. I've been using a grip so my sticks haven't worn, though I'm now afraid that playing Advanced Warfare will eventually destroy my left stick.

In short, what the hell Sony? I used the same DS3 for 5 years straight with the only issues being the sticks wearing smooth. I used the same DS2 for 8 years before the rubber fell off of the sticks.

The DS4 ergonomics are amazing and I love it, but hot damn is the build quality crap.

Rubber on left sticks keeps coming off for me. Already had two DS4s replaced and I can see it starting to come off on my new two again already. Its really annoying.
On my first DS4 the R2 trigger made squeaking noises.

This is really sad.

I didn't get my PS4, yet. I wonder if Sony acknowledge the problems with DS4.

Every now and then I hear bad stuff about it.

Hugstable

Banned
I have the worst luck with these controllers, and even worse luck with dealing with Sony support when needing to get it replaced

HORRORSHØW

yup sony cheaped out. i also opened up my controller b/c the l2 button was clicking and lost the spring. bought a new controller on sale to replace it. haven't had the same issues as my launch ds4 yet.

meanspartan

yup same. Grips on my sticks cuz they were peeling, and had to replace r2 on two controllers already. I just leave the fucking spring out when i replace them, because my first one got fucked up AGAIN. The spring Im pretty sure is the problem. So just remove it and everything should work fine. It doesn't feel quite as nice but it works perfectly.

Duxxy3

I'm still amazed that Sony is the only company that has been unable to make half decent triggers.

Sega, Microsoft, Mad Catz and seriously every damn third party in the world all make better triggers than Sony.

ascully

R2 trigger is broken on my launch DD4, it fires fine in Destiny but if its a game that uses half pulls of the trigger like GTAV you cant actually free aim.

BosSin

My left stick has dead zones where it won't read input for certain directions.

It will also falsely read input sometimes

Hey guys,
Are there like left stick covers/protectors, or some 3rd party gadget to protect my left stick from tearing apart like most people say it will?

Yeah, the build quality is really horrid. Had the rubber wear off on my first one in a few months, sent it back and now the L1 buttons constantly sticks.

coastel

I had one with shit rubbers and now on a replacement one the right trigger is kinda broke but usable. Great controller but build quality is shit.

VanWinkle

I feel they are gonna announce a controller redesign at E3

Why would they redesign it? The design of the controller has nothing to do with the build quality issues. Most people love the DS4 besides the analog stick material getting rubbed away easily and the L2 and R2 buttons having a squeak issue. Which, I mean, isn't universal anyway. I got my PS4 at launch and it's been my primary console since then, and the analog sticks are fine (the dimpled texture of the rubber is gone, but it hasn't worn down to the plastic or anything) and I have no squeaking on the L2 and R2.

All they really need to do is rethink the material on the sticks and fix whatever issue is making the triggers squeak.

The only good thing about the ds4 build quality is, as a consequence of needing to fix my triggers the light broke and now i have longer battery life!

shandy706

I only use my DS4 like 2 or 3 times a month. Maybe it will last a year+ that way....

I put stick covers on mine day one, so I'm not too worried about the sticks.

Eggbok

My launch controller is in great shape! The only issue I have is that the rubber is starting to peel on the sticks. Other than that everything else is fine.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Lets not forget the GENIUS design decision to have the controller rest on the triggers which puts further pressure on them.

Love Sony and for every thing they did right with the DS4, they fucked up twice as much.

if I do pick up a DS4 in the future I will definitely go for one of those warranty deals that are normally a rip off. any problems and you get a replacement, no questions asked.

Servbot24

Banned
Seems really inconsistent. Mine are great, but I don't doubt the complaints. Hopefully they alter it when PS4 slim comes out.

I haven't had any issues with my DS4 besides the rubber on the sticks, but I just bought covers for them. I can't understand why anyone would want to put on those little babby X1 sticks as replacements.

I would suggest kontrol freeks cqc

Oh no,

41cUJAHM8TL.jpg

seriously?
who plays games with this much height?

One of my PS4 controller's right thumb stick is damaged or something, so it tries to register a motion from the control stick even when you don't press it. Will be replacing the sticks with X1 sticks soon.

My PS3 sticks survived a toddler dropping it every so often, falling off various surfaces, and years of abuse via more than a few first person games.

Kinda pissed about it, but what can you do?

Metfanant

for the record, i have 3 DS4's...

1 US launch (pack in)
1 US launch (bought a week before launch at Gamestop)
1 UK Wave Blue

NONE have had issues with triggers...and NONE of them had any issues at all with the rubber coming off until one of my little cousins played like 2 hours of Trials one day and the rubber seemingly peeled off instantly as soon as he touched it...

the rubber is poor, but im convinced there is an issue with a certain way some people use the sticks causing the problem...i think regardless of "batch" some people are going to keep ripping the rubber off these things, and others will have no problem...

Hoodbury

I've had two R2's break on me now. They have a 1 year warranty on them, so Sony fixed for free. Gotta pay for shipping though.

Mendax

there was a bad batch at release but the controller I got a few months later (and use for hours every day) still looks and works perfectly. like the day I got it even.
build quality is perfect now.

One of my PS4 controller's right thumb stick is damaged or something, so it tries to register a motion from the control stick even when you don't press it. Will be replacing the sticks with X1 sticks soon.

My PS3 sticks survived a toddler dropping it every so often, falling off various surfaces, and years of abuse via more than a few first person games.

Kinda pissed about it, but what can you do?

swapping out XB1 sticks wont help. I had the same problem and it ultimately lies within the analog box itself.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I had a weird issue with my launch DS4 where everytime I would pull the right trigger the it also sent the signal that the left thumbstick was all the way left. Made playing GTA5 really difficult until I replaced it.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
My launch controller is in great shape! The only issue I have is that the rubber is starting to peel on the sticks.

Do you realize how crazy your comment sounds?

"My DS4 is in great shape, except in the places it's falling apart for no good reason!"

lol. Seriously bro/sis?

I returned my first DS4 stick because the rubber peeled off after very little use (less than 100 hours). I PAID for return shipping and I received a replacement.

I was confident that the rubber issue was just a bad batch or something. NOT SO! My second DS4 has also started to peel!

I'm fucking pissed. What the fuck, Sony? This is not acceptable. This is some serious bullshit and you should make this right! You really fucked this one up.

RootCause

I've had my ds4 since release date. Everything in perfect condition, even the sticks haven't worn out. Guess I got the best two Ds4 controllers in the country.

Business

Had to put bone sticks on mine too. Surprised there are still problems with the DS4, would have thought it was a first batch problem and Sony had fixed it already... Lame.

My launch controller is in great shape! The only issue I have is that the rubber is starting to peel on the sticks. Other than that everything else is fine.

dA5IUA1.png

It's not only the DS4 itself, but the PS4 build quality as a whole is below every other Sony-made console I've ever owned. My sticks are still fine though.

Top Bottom