• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynamic Resolution for Halo 5?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Give me 900p at a solid 60fps and I'm more than satisfied.

Karak

Some people noticed this in the newest The Sprint Videos:

asdfers5t.png

Peopler over Beyond3d noticed different Resolutions trough the campaign and warzone gameplay videos too.

A good or bad thing?

A none thing.

Is resolution scaling noticeable as framerate dips? I don't think I would be able to tell if the res suddenly dropped as opposed to framerate.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The first pic is less than half the res of 1080p?

Why can't developers just stick to a power budget rather than play these kinds of games so they have 1080p on a checklist?

A dynamic resolution is better than a fluctuating framerate true, but halving the resolution to keep the framerate up is too much I feel.

LordOfChaos

That's latency, not FPS.

Edit: Wait, shit, the thing next to it, AAAHHH FREAK OUT.

Frame to frame latency directly translates into framerate anyways. 33ms = 30fps, 16.7ms = 60fps.

Anywho, yeah, these are obviously unoptimized builds, the game was held together by duct tape in some of the clips in the sprint videos, I wouldn't think too much about this.

jackdoe

Is resolution scaling noticeable as framerate dips? I don't think I would be able to tell if the res suddenly dropped as opposed to framerate.
Depends on how low the resolution drops. For Killzone Mercenary on the Vita, it is incredibly noticeable and distracting. Hopefully the lowest the resolution drops is 900p.

To me, the top one looks more blurry than the bottom picture.

It is. That's because it's an image I ran through a quick 50% reduction on the horizontal and expanded it again by 200% using just a nearest neighbor.

If you don't pick it up quickly you probably won't notice a difference. If you're sensitive to aliasing artifacts obviously you'll notice if an edge starts shimmering in a few frames or something.

Zornack

Dropping to 830p? I hope it doesn't go that low in the final build.

Also, I hope they don't advertise this as 1080/60 if it'll have dynamic resolution scaling. But they probably will...

Dropping to 830p? I hope it doesn't go that low in the final build.

Also, I hope they don't advertise this as 1080/60 if it'll have dynamic resolution scaling. But they probably will...

They won't because last time someone lied about the advertised resolution they got sued (Sony/Guriila games with Shadow Fall)

But... The vids also show heaps of bugs too, and highlight the race to have an e3 demo.
It's unfair to pick at a game in the development.

nib95

Banned
They should have stayed at 30fps.

Agreed. I know a lot of people think otherwise, but Halo does not, and has not ever needed 60fps. It's not a twitch shooter, in fact it's focus is slightly slower paced, sandboxy, epic goodness. Those massive battles, vehicles, all out wars, crazy vista's, epic interiors etc, all would be better served by going 30fps.

In any case, if they have settled on it, a dynamic resolution to ensure it stays at a fairly consistent 60fps is welcome. Though I don't see why they can't just lock the resolution for consistencies sake (900p would be sufficient). If the frame rate is wonky, not consistent at 60fps (Eg Titanfall), it'd be tragic lol. Not because I'd care much about the drops, but because it'd bother me that they didn't just go 30fps instead.

RoKKeR

Agreed. I know a lot of people think otherwise, but Halo does not, and has not ever needed 60fps. It's not a twitch shooter, in fact it's focus is slightly slower paced, sandboxy, epic goodness. Those massive battles, vehicles, all out wars, crazy vista's, epic interiors etc, all would be better served by going 30fps.

In any case, if they have settled on it, a dynamic resolution to ensure it stays at a fairly consistent 60fps is welcome. Though I don't see why they can't just lock the resolution for consistencies sake. If the frame rate is wonky, not consistent at 60fps (Eg Titanfall), it'd be tragic lol. Not because I'd care much about the drops, but because it'd bother me that they didn't just go 30fps instead.

You are entitled to your opinion of course but I could not disagree more, especially after playing Halo 5 which is much more fast paced, has little aim assist, and new abilities that require timing and low latency.

VinFTW

In any case, if they have settled on it, a dynamic resolution to ensure it stays at a fairly consistent 60fps is welcome. Though I don't see why they can't just lock the resolution for consistencies sake (900p would be sufficient). If the frame rate is wonky, not consistent at 60fps (Eg Titanfall), it'd be tragic lol. Not because I'd care much about the drops, but because it'd bother me that they didn't just go 30fps instead.

No.

LordOfChaos

Look at these two images:

Can you tell the difference?

I can, but a game isn't a still image, I think the person you were replying to still has a point. If I'm in the midst of heated combat, a framerate dip is going to annoy the crap out of me, the resolution fluctuating, not so much. And it would also depend on how long it dipped that low, if it hits 830p for a second before scaling up after an effect is gone, would I notice the slight extra blur in that time?

Anywho, again, the 33ms/30fps and how many bugs we saw in the Sprint videos we saw make me not fret over this just yet. Still very much a work in progress. We'll see when we see.

Eh, I agree with nib with regards to the single player. Keep 60 for MP but if 60 for SP means I end up getting the same constrained level design of Halo 4, they might as well not bother.

They've said it has scale, I'm just waiting to see it at this point.

Yeah, no. Sorry. I care less about Halo 5 looking PHWOAR EYEBURN and more about that fresh 60fps feeling.

Angel_DvA

Microsoft can't win at graphics department so they need to go on the smoother one.

Even if I'm ok with that, Microsoft really needs to make their IP a little more "shiny", the console is more powerful than the 360 but we're still waiting for the Killzone/Infamous/The order type of graphics from a Microsoft first party exclusive.

Halo never was a looker before HALO 4 so it won't bother people if the game is smooth as hell as it should because 60FPS for a shooter is really important, I really hope Gears 4 will be 60FPS too, especially after playing GoW UE beta for days now.

Kinsella

Banned

Not enough words to express how wrong this is.

Mechazawa

It is. That's because it's an image I ran through a quick 50% reduction on the horizontal and expanded it again by 200% using just a nearest neighbor.

If you don't pick it up quickly you probably won't notice a difference. If you're sensitive to aliasing artifacts obviously you'll notice if an edge starts shimmering in a few frames or something.

Using stills from a video file to illustrate your point isn't the same as using natively rendered gameplay.

If you booted up literally any PC game right now and switched it from 1080p to 900p, it would look considerably blurrier than it's native brother and would be incredibly easy to spot the difference, even without looking at the UI.

That said, in the pursuit of 60fps, this is totally fine.

Microsoft can't win at graphics department so they need to go on the smoother one.

Even if I'm ok with that, Microsoft really needs to make their IP a little more "shiny", the console is more powerful than the 360 but we're still waiting for the Killzone/Infamous/The order type of graphics from a Microsoft first party exclusive.

Halo never was a looker before HALO 4 so it won't bother people if the game is smooth as hell as it should because 60FPS for a shooter is really important, I really hope Gears 4 will be 60FPS too, especially after playing GoW UE beta for days now.

Halo was always a looker, except maybe ODST when it came out. 3 had a jaggy problem but the scale and lighting were insane. Reach was a massive jump in fidelity without much sacrifice in scale (if any) and imo remains the graphical king of Halo games on 360.

I can, but a game isn't a still image, I think the person you were replying to still has a point. If I'm in the midst of heated combat, a framerate dip is going to annoy the crap out of me, the resolution fluctuating, not so much. And it would also depend on how long it dipped that low, if it hits 830p for a second before scaling up after an effect is gone, would I notice the slight extra blur in that time.

Precisely. Still images is easily noticeable but constantly moving games is a different story. Perhaps in a turn based rpg I would notice it.

nib95

Banned

Yeah, no. Sorry. I care less about Halo 5 looking PHWOAR EYEBURN and more about that fresh 60fps feeling.

Not enough words to express how wrong this is.

Out of curiosity, why is the notion so inconceivable? And on what precedent? All the other Halo's have all been 30fps, some of the best shooters ever made, so I don't see why suddenly it's so different with Halo 5? I feel they've already sacrificed graphical fidelity for the added smoothness, but if they've sacrificed some of the scale and sandboxy, epic, grandiose levels and battles popular with the franchise, in order to reach 60fps, that would be even worse. The E3 debut campaign demo had none of the scale or sense of scope that I expect of the franchise, and I seriously hope the next campaign gameplay demo shows off a level that's more fitting in that sense, especially as they've talked that side of things up.

Contrary to the opinions of many, I actually really enjoyed Halo 4 (mostly for its story implications and character focus with Cortana and Chief), but even that I felt was less grand overall, and slightly more linear than other Halo's. Hopefully that isn't extended with Halo 5.

Angel_DvA

Halo was always a looker, except maybe ODST when it came out. 3 had a jaggy problem but the scale and lighting were insane. Reach was a massive jump in fidelity without much sacrifice in scale (if any) and imo remains the graphical king of Halo games on 360.

Halo 3 ( 2007 ) so One Year after Gears of War and the same year as COD 4 Modern warfare :

k%C3%A9p051%20-%20halo-3-20070923023652551.jpg

Halo 3 ( 2007 ) so One Year after Gears of War and the same year as COD 4 Modern warfare :

k%C3%A9p051%20-%20halo-3-20070923023652551.jpg
When you can show me Gears of War or CoD from those years doing the massive battles that Halo 3 did, such as the famous double scarab one, then I might concede my point.

But Halo 3 and subsequently Reach were impressive because of their sheer scale. Something 4 gave up to achieve its "pretty" status.

I'm a big Halo fan, but 3 was ugly the day it came out. They had set expectations very high with the E3 2006 announcement and missed that mark by a long way. Human faces obviously looked bad and the resolution combined with no anti-aliasing made most of the cutscenes jaggy messes. The lighting was very nice. The amount of enemies and the scale of the action was also very impressive. Truth be told, as ugly as I thought the cutscenes were in Halo 3, I didn't care about any of the flaws while playing the game. It ran well and looked great during gameplay.

Reach did look very nice and went even crazier with the number of enemies in each encounter. People like to criticise Reach's multiplayer, but I really love the campaign. Cutscenes and gameplay look great.

The 33ms framerate shown in the Halo 5 images appears to be during the cutscene before the game begins. If you watch the Sprint video 4, you'll see it's 16ms while in gameplay. The framerate sitcks to 60/59.9 the whole time, while the resolution number fluctuated between 1920 and 832.

Out of curiosity, why is the notion so inconceivable? And on what precedent? All the other Halo's have all been 30fps, some of the best shooters ever made, so I don't see why suddenly it's so different with Halo 5? I feel they've already sacrificed graphical fidelity for the added smoothness, but if they've sacrificed some of the scale and sandboxy, epic, grandiose levels and battles popular with the franchise, in order to reach 60fps, that would be even worse. The E3 debut campaign demo had none of the scale or sense of scope that I expect of the franchise, and I seriously hope the next campaign gameplay demo shows off a level that's more fitting in that sense, especially as they've talked that side of things up.

Contrary to the opinions of many, I actually really enjoyed Halo 4 (mostly for its story implications and character focus with Cortana and Chief), but even that I felt was less grand overall, and slightly more linear than other Halo's. Hopefully that isn't extended with Halo 5.

There's no logic to that though. They're making it 60fps so it plays better and are in turn making a sacrifice to graphics. Why would they sacrifice gameplay (scale) for gameplay (fps)? Edit: or more accurately, why does it follow that choosing fps over graphics might suddenly compromise a completely different aspect of the game? You could just as easily say previous Halos sacrificed scale for better graphics (in regards to it being 30fps instead of 60), but that also wouldn't make sense. If they make the scale smaller, it's a separate design decision. And look at Warzone, there is a shitload going on at once. If that's possible at 60fps, then I don't see the problem.

Also, it was even said by 343 that this game has more multiple paths/large scale battles than any other Halo (not exact wording, would have to dig up from another thread).

Nutter

Have you even played Halo at 60fps? Its absolutely beautiful.

Also as a long time fan who played the beta, I say it was about time Halo did 60.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

That is your opinion. Do you even own the MCC? 60fps is the best thing that happened to Halo EVER!

I don't think you will notice anything when it comes to how it feels framerate wise.. However, you will be able to tell graphically if you have an eye for resolutions...

Here is what DF said about Wolfensteins resolution switch when going from 1080p to 900p

Digital Foundry said:
the Xbox One this can drop to an extreme of 960x1080 in some scenes. This is usually identifiable by an increase in the amount of jaggies on screen, along with a slightly fuzzier appearance to the already gritty aesthetic that Machine Games employs throughout the game.

So obviously resolution drops that are more extreme than 1080p to 900p would be even more noticeable... If that were to happen...

CLEEK

This is a good thing.

You can always clearly tell when games drop frames, but in all of the games that have adapted dynamic resolution, I've never noticed it when the res temporarily drops.

Top Bottom