• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynamic Resolution for Halo 5?

Muzicfreq

Banned
Please keep your fanboy shit out of the thread. I'm going to blow your mind right now, the people who are discussing the frame rate of Halo, probably aren't the same people who were discussing the frame rate for Killzone. Please point out to us who criticized and 'shat on Killzone' in your own words who is now defending Halo?

Do you even have an Xbox One? Do you plan to get one? Do you plan to buy Halo 5? Most of us are okay with dynamic scaling for Halo 5 because it worked for Halo 2 Anniversary and because we know the Xbox One is weaker hardware wise than PS4 and we've gotten used to resolutions below 1080p. This place sometimes man. Shit.

Halo 5 is 60fps in campaign and multiplayer, the first Halo game to do that. Of course it'll be tough to maintain world class visuals while maintaining 60fps. We played the H5 beta and it ran buttery smooth for almost all the matches and maps. Now that I've had 60fps I'd take it over the 20-25 frames Halo 4 or Reach would drop to.
Uhhh aren't you the one "fanboying" stuff right now?

Madness

Funny thing is that halo on 360 was 30fps
also Killzone had the right to advertise 1080p since it ran at 1080p

Seriously why do you keep talking about Killzone? No one cares about Killzone. Quit derailing the thread with your 'whataboutism' fanboy stuff. I'm sorry you feel slighted Sony was sued for Killzone but we don't care. This is about Halo 5.

They've got time to optimise - this game should look good, and run at 1080p @ 60 fps, there shouldn't be any excuse for an exclusive. I could handle even 45fps, with all the bells and whistles - what is wrong with the xbone? Why can't it get the job done?

Muzicfreq

Banned
Seriously why do you keep talking about Killzone? No one cares about Killzone. Quit derailing the thread with your 'whataboutism' fanboy stuff. I'm sorry you feel slighted Sony was sued for Killzone but we don't care. This is about Halo 5.
Your name fits you very well sir.
you also must have heard "fanboy" for the first time today since you also don't understand how to use the word

Madness

Uhhh aren't you the one "fanboying" stuff right now?

Double post but no. In a thread about resolution for Halo 5, you're going to get two responses. It's unacceptable what resolution they've done or its acceptable. Mine was acceptable and I gave reasons why. You've done nothing except complain about how some other Sony game was shat on for its resolution and now praises Halo. When pressed for who they were, you don't want to name them, and then say, the press did this, or so and so sued Sony. Who cares? You derailed the thread with your Sony stuff.

Magitex

Dynamic resolution is okay as something to smooth over certain cutscenes, but it's in no way a good thing. Before long every developer will be implementing it as a bandaid and we'll never be at native resolutions in anything but static scenes.
It's similar to TN LCD panels dropping colors to 6-bit and also LCD backlights flickering in the same manner as CRTs at the same godawful frequencies. But hey at least they are flat right?

If you can't tell the difference between native resolution and.. 832p you really aren't looking hard and If you're not looking that hard, you probably don't care that we're steadily regressing image quality anyway. With that said, I expect dynamic resolution to be a standard everywhere soon since we're obsessed with graphic quality above what hardware is actually capable of; especially since only the PR screenshots and "60 fps" slogans matter.

Developers should be using more effortful and traditional methods (LOD and such) instead of bumping resolutions down to last decades level. Dynamic resolution is just a horrendously lazy method, and while it has applications, it'll just be continually abused by publishers until there's an outrage.. if anyone ever notices (How long did it take for the average consumer to realize hz update rates were actually important in LCDs).

I dont think the in-dev clips in the Sprint Episodes are representing the final game at all. You see a lot of stuttering in the clips they show and the final optimization will be the last thing they do once the levels are completely done.

343i also said a lot of stuff in bound the 60fps in their engine, so it seems logically that they implemented a dynamic resolution for their dev builds that the engine doesn't go crazy if the framerate drops.

H2A with their strange resolution solution looked really sharp to me, so as long as the IQ is as good as H2A I'm finde - 60fps is for mp way more important to me

Muzicfreq

Banned
Double post but no. In a thread about resolution for Halo 5, you're going to get two responses. It's unacceptable what resolution they've done or its acceptable. Mine was acceptable and I gave reasons why. You've done nothing except complain about how some other Sony game was shat on for its resolution and now praises Halo. When pressed for who they were, you don't want to name them, and then say, the press did this, or so and so sued Sony. Who cares? You derailed the thread with your Sony stuff.
You're the one losing their shit right now. Settle down and have a snickers.
you did the derailing by replaying the way you have

Madness

A lot of you sound crazy right now because if it were any other game, you guys would be flipping your shit, yet halo gets a pass.
kill zone shadow fall got shat on hardcover by people for having a small minor change yet this drastic scaling is fine to you guys....
whatever.

Honestly the game needs a lot of work if it has to dip that low.
give me a solid resolution and framerate.
Bungee made destiny run at 1080p 30fps and people say it has amazing gun play.

Not going to name names, they know who they are

Multi player used a trick that would patch 2 frames that were rendered at 960x1080 to make a 1080p image yet people said the game wasn't a true 1080p game even though single-player was 100% true 1080p. Someone even tried to sue Sony for false advertising

Funny thing is that halo on 360 was 30fps
also Killzone had the right to advertise 1080p since it ran at 1080p

Your first post in the thread is to call everyone crazy, why? Because some are okay with dynamic scaling which seems unacceptable to you. Do you own an Xbox One? Did you play the Halo 5 beta? Do you plan on getting Halo 5? Seriously you literally came into the thread complaining with your first paragraph why Halo 5 gets a free pass but Killzone was shat on. Then you say it's unacceptable it's that low, but you don't say why it is except to say Bungie made Destiny 1080/30fps which has nothing to do with anything.

When someone asked you who made fun of Killzone but is now defending Halo, you said you don't want to name names. Then you talk about the resolution of Killzone like it has anything to do with the thread talking about Sony being sued. We're they sued by Halo fans or people in the thread? Then you say Halo 3 was 30fps but oh hey Sony had a right to advertise Killzone at 1080p. For fucks sake man.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Your first post in the thread is to call everyone crazy, why? Because some are okay with dynamic scaling which seems unacceptable to you. Do you own an Xbox One? Did you play the Halo 5 beta? Do you plan on getting Halo 5? Seriously you literally came into the thread complaining with your first paragraph why Halo 5 gets a free pass but Killzone was shat on. Then you say it's unacceptable it's that low, but you don't say why it is except to say Bungie made Destiny 1080/30fps which has nothing to do with anything.

When someone asked you who made fun of Killzone but is now defending Halo, you said you don't want to name names. Then you talk about the resolution of Killzone like it has anything to do with the thread talking about Sony being sued. We're they sued by Halo fans or people in the thread? Then you say Halo 3 was 30fps but oh hey Sony had a right to advertise Killzone at 1080p. For fucks sake man.
Calling people out is kinda against rules which is why you don't see people doing it all the time. Otherwise you would see it running wild here.

I was making a comparison BTW to some of the reactions

Madness

Calling people out is kinda against rules which is why you don't see people doing it all the time. Otherwise you would see it running wild here.

I was making a comparison BTW to some of the reactions

Bullshit. You literally say people in the thread are crazy, how you don't want to name names, that they're okay with Halo 5 but shat on Killzone. Why make the statement if you don't want to back it up? The mods can decide what is or isn't against the rules, not you. People can and do get called out in threads all the time if they're found to be hypocrites. Seriously, just re-read your posts above I quoted. Those are your first and only contributions to the thread. What are you trying to achieve? An apology from Halo fans because Sony got sued for their resolution with Killzone or what?

Muzicfreq

Banned
Bullshit. You literally say people in the thread are crazy, how you don't want to name names, that they're okay with Halo 5 but shat on Killzone. Why make the statement if you don't want to back it up? The mods can decide what is or isn't against the rules, not you. People can and do get called out in threads all the time if they're found to be hypocrites. Seriously, just re-read my posts above. Those are your first and only contributions to the thread. What are you trying to achieve? An apology from Halo fans because Sony got sued for their resolution with Killzone or what?
The real question is, what are you wanting from me?

Magitex

832's gotta be the V-res. No way they'd be dropping sub-Vita res.
It's probably just a very short frame dip that the dynamic resolution aggressively compensated for, or the player was turning at the time and they allow it to drop further for free 'motion blur'.

They've got time to optimise - this game should look good, and run at 1080p @ 60 fps, there shouldn't be any excuse for an exclusive. I could handle even 45fps, with all the bells and whistles - what is wrong with the xbone? Why can't it get the job done?

bruce-willis-confused-615.jpg

Omni

Don't mind dynamic resolution but anything below 900p or 1080pr or whatever looks awful and so I would hope the final game doesn't dip that low.

If it's even close to 720p I'll seriously reconsider my purchase. I bought a new console to get away from that.

Magitex

The problem is the competition and consumers forcing their hand, the XB one cannot keep up with PS4 titles, where as the 360 used to (mostly) hold the great graphics flag.

The primary benefit of dynamic resolution is that it exponentially reduces the cost of shading, something the XB1 is very much lacking versus the PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the resolution drops temporarily, in moments with lots going on (so you're less likely to notice), and doesn't do it all the time - then it is a good compromise to maintain 60fps

If it drops a lot though, and in areas where you're just moving around, then that would suggest they should have optimised those areas (scaled back details etc). I hope that 832 is simply a rare example and that they'll try and optimise that. Dropping below half res horizontally should be avoided.

jem0208

Wolfenstein did this and I wouldn't have had a clue if I hadn't read about it here so I'm fine with this.

Also the people asking for 30fps, you crazy.

Madness

The real question is, what are you wanting from me?

How about contributing to the thread in a meaningful way? Leaving the console war stuff out? I mean you come in and say we're crazy for supporting Halo 5 because it may have dynamic scaling. Whats wrong with it? Do you feel halo 5 shouldn't have it? Why not?

Don't bring up Killzone if your only point is to say hey why did this game get shit on but this game doesn't. I'm just tired of disingenuous posts. People don't want to have discussions anymore, they just want to fling shit back and forth in this console war stuff.

Again I'll reiterate, why I'm fine with dynamic scaling is that it allows for a decent resolution while maintaining the 60FPS target they're going for. Halo 5 multiplayer was amazing at 60FPS, H2A and the other Halo campaigns run amazing beyond 30fps in MCC. H2A gave us slightly less pixels than 900p, but because it was 1328x1080p, it allowed us to scale nicely with 1080 vertical at least. Something similar would be okay in Halo 5 as well. Xbox One is weaker hardware than PS4 and very few games run at 1080p, let alone 60FPS. We're coming from 720p/20-30 frames in Halo 4. If we get 900p/60fps, most of us will be happy with Halo 5. The game looks pretty great overall, and runs smooth. 60fps on dedicated servers with region selection is no joke.

jem0208

It did? First I'm hearing about it :p

Was about to say the same thing. I never heard about any scaling for that.
Yup.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-wolfenstein-the-new-order-face-off
a more detailed look at the captures revealed that both versions of the game achieve their locked 60Hz update by adjusting the amount of pixels rendered at any given point, in effect balancing engine load in order to put consistent refresh and controller response first.

Didn't notice it myself.

PnCIa

60 FPS elitism is as annoying as 1080p elitism. Halo was fine at 30, even though i suspect that 30 was necessary to get a lot of stuff happening at once on past XBox-consoles.
Since tons of shit happens in Halo 5, its great that it runs at 60! I am not a fan of variable resolutions though, that may be because i play PC games mostly nowadays, but its acceptable as long as the drops are not too extreme.

As much as i can live with a variable resolution while playing on my TV, i can live with variations in framerates as long as they are not too extreme. So i wouldnt mind if they would stay at 1080 and let the framerate drop to the 50s when lots of stuff happens.
If its 343s choice to use a variable resolution, thats fine, even when i would prefer it to be different.
One thing they should not forget though is AF! Seriously, console games and their shitty texture IQ, its terrible.

Shin-Ra

Is the (sprint video, link?) stuttering people are talking about the half-framerate animation of certain elements?

Halo5dr_6030.gif

Most of the scene's updated 60 times per second but the debris flying out updates at half the rate, similar to Tearaway Unfolded's stop-motion effect.

Protome

Wipeout HD and Rage both used dynamic resolution to great effect last gen, it's a good trade off for 60fps in my opinion and I wish more games made use of it.

rrc1594

Is the (sprint video, link?) stuttering people are talking about the half-framerate animation of certain elements?

Halo5dr_6030.gif

Most of the scene's updated 60 times per second but the debris flying out updates at half the rate, similar to Tearaway Unfolded's stop-motion effect.

Holy shit where is that from

hodgy100

Dynamic resolution is excellent tech for games. I wish more games did it to help keep the framerate stable. You are way more likely to notice a frame drop during anhectic moment than the resolution dropping.

Nutter

Well, at least you described why some people lament this is not the Halo gameplay change they wanted ;). Halo becoming more of a twitch shooter is not really what I was hoping for, but it might very well have great sales as there is a big market for those shooters too.
Sure. But when several Halo fans who have been playing the series since Halo CE in competitive form like the beta and its halo feel. It's doing something right. Sure we have others who say the opposite, but then again these are the people who hated Halo 2 for its changes as well.

Dynamic resolution is excellent tech for games. I wish more games did it to help keep the framerate stable. You are way more likely to notice a frame drop during anhectic moment than the resolution dropping.

Yep. I'm much more accepting of dynamic resolution scaling than dropped frames from a locked 30 or 60 fps. Whatever it takes to keep that controller response high and maintain that buttery smooth fps. In motion dropped frames or tearing are way, way more noticeable to me than dropped pixels.

Are those numbers final outputs? Does anyone know the techniques in use for the resolution and FPS exactly? There are numerous methods where those numbers may not correlate to what we're assuming e.g frame stitching/rendering to achieve 60fps.

After seeing Ryse I'm more than happy with the visual quality of the X1. I prefer a smooth FPS experience at 30 or 60 FPS, when FPS fluctuate up and down I start to notice in gameplay.

Shin-Ra

Are those numbers final outputs? Does anyone know the techniques in use for the resolution and FPS exactly? There are numerous methods where those numbers may not correlate to what we're assuming e.g frame stitching/rendering to achieve 60fps.

After seeing Ryse I'm more than happy with the visual quality of the X1. I prefer a smooth FPS experience at 30 or 60 FPS, when FPS fluctuate up and down I start to notice in gameplay.
Ryse has much heavier AA at a fixed 900p, but the framerate fluctuates a lot.

https://youtu.be/_aVpCrhYYaI

omonimo

Banned
960x1080p it's really, really low res. Isn't it quite close to 720p? Could be really noticeable in the IQ sharpness. I don't know, that's a big comprimise. Isn't it better 900p all the time at this point?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mechazawa said:
That's latency, not FPS.
Miliseconds are a measure of time, not latency.
Framerate is just the inverse of time (1/33ms = 30).

The numbers next to it suggest the particular segment was running GPU limited (simulation is holding below 10ms).

Biggzy

960x1080p it's really, really low res. Isn't it quite close to 720p? Could be really noticeable in the IQ sharpness.

It is about 80,000 pixels above 720p, so it will be a big drop in IQ, although this will only occur when there is a lot of action on screen, so you might not notice it as much as you should. Above all at least it seems 343 are being hell bent on maintaining 60fps, as that is a big drop in resolution.

It is about 80,000 pixels above 720p, so it will be a big drop in IQ, although this will only occur when there is a lot of action on screen, so you might not notice it as much as you should. Above all at least it seems 343 are being hell bent on maintaining 60fps, as that is a big drop in resolution.

It's also footage of an incomplete game from weeks/months ago.

omonimo

Banned
I remember Rage or Doom 3 on ps3 which drops res in the same way in the chaotic scene. It was really annoying from my point of view. I don't understand this obsession for 1080 number in the res when 960x1080p frankly it's quite horrible IQ wise.
Yeah, this is a build from potentially months before E3.

Not sure why people are trying to get technical details out of this. A lot can change between then and launch.
So they use this res just for the beta? Not has sense to me.

Ke0

They're not going to spend the development time adding in dynamic resolution if they didn't plan on utilizing it. I doubt much is going to change in a few months to the point dynamic resolution is no longer used.

Top Bottom