• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aly

Slipped up? Do you think he did it by accident?

Saying "console debut exclusively on PS4" (that is the exact wording he uses) about a game that is already on PC is very misleading if said game is supposed to appear on other consoles later on. As far as I can tell it could very well mean the game will be released only on PS4 and no other console.

Except it's not and actually pretty clear. They say console, so its obviously not including PC and debut, which means it shows up on the PS4 exclusively first, but doesn't mean it won't show up somewhere else later down the line. I said slipped up because I thought he left out the console debut part. You interpreted that wrong, because the only way it won't show up anywhere else is if they don't use the word debut. It's why they are so careful in their wording, so yeah a consumer might interpret that wrong, but it can be blamed on them not carefully paying attention to wording.

blakep267

Ok so for MS I got

-either titanfall 2( in the form of a cgi thing) or Call of duty. If MS doesn't have CoD marketing rights I expect titanfall 2 to be "announced" there and shown off more at EA

- halo 5 campaign demo + talk about big team mode. Another beta for the fall

-quantum break sizzle trailer and release date. No stage demo. But it's playable in the show floor

- Scalebound gameplay trailer. Not an actual demo but have nice music and showing off the gameplay and style

- Tomb raider stage demo

- Dan greenwalt talks about Forza 6 on stage and a quick trailer. More detailed stuff would either be after or before the show

- division trailer and possible beta+ bundle announcement( although the bundle may be announced at gamescom). I can't see another demo

- crackdown gameplay trailer no demo( this can be a toss up if it's even there)

- Digital battletoads game for Fall 2015. Not a long segment

- AAA budget rare game. May or may not be Banjo

- 1-2 of these third party games stage demo with timed content marketing deal( Mass Effect, fallout 4, AC Victory, Watchdogs 2, Rainbow 6)

- Gears 1 remaster "reveal" with a summer release date. Beta access for 4. Budget priced

-Id@xbox sizzle

- Brief windows 10 talk. July launch with Fable legends and joe Montana as main draws

-Joe Montana 16 with NfL license. Summer release. Believe!

- Stream any NFl game with nfl app

- a new bundle announcement to replace the MCC bundle

- 1-2 CGI trailer of a 2016-17 new exclusives

- Gears teaser to end it

Twisted pixel, press play, Killer instinct, and fable legends don't get stage time but are at E3

Slipped up? Do you think he did it by accident?

Saying "console debut exclusively on PS4" (that is the exact wording he uses) about a game that is already on PC is very misleading if said game is supposed to appear on other consoles later on. As far as I can tell it could very well mean the game will be released only on PS4 and no other console.

So you're complaining that he didn't add "or you can wait and buy this on Xbox" to games that will be ported over? Yeah, I'm sure that's totally realistic.

All the information you need to know is in that phrase you quoted. PS4 owners know they're getting it, PC owners know they'll probably get it too and Xbone/Wii U owners have to either buy a PS4 or PC to be guaranteed those games or hope they get ported to their system (as they would regardless of Sony's phrasing).

I'm not sure why you're getting worked up about Grim Fandango though, Time Schafer clarified within a couple of days of the announcement that it'd never come to Xbone.

Salty Hippo

They always make it very clear when a game will be coming to one console and only one console.

"Console debut exclusively on XXX" should be pretty straightforward for us, at this point.

Oh, I don't disagree that it's straightforward for us. We're used to it. Something like that would never fool you or me, but we're not the only ones with our eyes on E3, are we?

Except it's not and actually pretty clear. They say console, so its obviously not including PC and debut, which means it shows up on the PS4 exclusively first, but doesn't mean it won't show up somewhere else later down the line. I said slipped up because I thought he left out the console debut part. You interpreted that wrong, because the only way it won't show up anywhere else is if they don't use the word debut. It's why they are so careful in their wording, so yeah a consumer might interpret that wrong, but it can be blamed on them not carefully paying attention to wording.

He did leave out the console debut part on the GF annoucement. I doubt it would simply slip his mind like that, but hey, believe in whatever you want.

I still disagree about "debut exclusively on plataform X" being pretty clear. It might be to you because you know the industry and have watched a lot of previous E3s. It's definitely not clear to the general public who isn't used to that kind of speech. From a purely grammatical standpoint, it's simply not clear. It implies that the game is exclusive on consoles to a plataform, period. I don't know how anyone can dispute that.

Of course if the game in question really is intended to just release on PS4, then there's no problem.

So you're complaining that he didn't add "or you can wait and buy this on Xbox" to games that will be ported over? Yeah, I'm sure that's totally realistic.

All the information you need to know is in that phrase you quoted. PS4 owners know they're getting it, PC owners know they'll probably get it too and Xbone/Wii U owners have to either buy a PS4 or PC to be guaranteed those games or hope they get ported to their system (as they would regardless of Sony's phrasing).

I'm not sure why you're getting worked up about Grim Fandango though, Time Schafer clarified within a couple of days of the announcement that it'd never come to Xbone.

How about "It will debut on consoles first on PS4"? That's clear. Simply saying it will debut exclusively on a system is totally ambiguous and can be easily misinterpreted.

And he didn't use the term "console debut" for Grim Fandango, he straight up said it would be exclusive to PS4/Vita. That was a blatant lie. As a PC-only owner I was upset to only find out I'd be able to play the game days later on a random Tim Schafer interview.

These execs should be 100% clear about their message when they're under the limelight and everyone is watching, not later on interviews millions of people are likely to miss.

?oe?oe

NINTENDO

Star Fox
Devil's Third
Timesplitters 4
Beyond Good and Evil 2
Doshin The Giant U
Custom Robo
Ariana Grande Adventures (18+)
Diddy Kong Racing
Pichu Smash DLC

MICROSOFT
Some pew pew game

SONY
Beyblades are back

Eolz

That's the problem with Sony's wording
NFqueEu.jpg

The messaging is problematic at it's core, but that's because fundamentally, their main attempt is to sell you their platform, and there's a degree of disingenuity there to begin with.

Sony's E3 messaging for their 3rd-party psuedo-exclusives was definitely erroneous for some games, like Magicka 2 & Grim Fandango, where it wasn't clear that the game was only a lifetime console exclusive, and won't ever come to Xbox, but it will still be on PC.

Sure, it was immediately clarified within minutes on Twitter, where Paradox & Double Fine were quick to clarify "no, it's coming to PC" or "it's only console exclusive for Playstation", but ideally, you shouldn't had made that mistake to begin with.

That's why Gamescom's messaging of their line-up and announcements were the best. Even after all the announcements which had clear language to begin with, Jim Ryan still very clearly stated which games are first on Playstation, and which are perma-exclusive in a summarised slide.

Boyes, if you're here reading this, take a page out of your European colleagues.

And Microsoft doesn't do this?

Two wrongs don't make a right. :p

And unfortunately, it's not a problem they'll address anyway. The amount of goodwill they'd gain is negligible.

Zukkoyaki

Alright, here's my updated set of predictions, also in approximate conference order:

Bethesda
- Doom gameplay & release window
- Battlecry gameplay & beta release date
- The Evil Within final DLC announced w/ release date
- Elder Scrolls Online Expansion announced w/ release window
- Dishonored II announced w/ trailer
- Fallout 4 announced w/ trailer, gameplay, & release date

Microsoft
- Call of Duty Black Ops III gameplay & Xbox exclusive content
- Assassin's Creed: Victory gameplay & Xbox exclusive content
- The Division gameplay & Xbox exclusive content
- Forza Motorsport 6 gameplay w/ release date
- New IP from Twisted Pixel announced w/ trailer & release date
- Killer Instinct Season 3 announced w/ trailer
- Rise of the Tomb Raider gameplay w/ release date
- Halo 5 campaign gameplay w/ release date
- Battletoads announced w/ trailer & release date
- Banjo Kazooie 3 announced w/ trailer
- Quantum Break gameplay
- Crackdown trailer
- Scalebound gameplay w/ release window
- New AAA IP announced w/ trailer
- Gears of War 4 announced w/ trailer
- Gears of War Remastered announced w/ release date

EA
- Star Wars Battlefront gameplay w/ release date
- Visceral Games' Star Wars project announced w/ trailer
- Mirror's Edge 2 trailer
- EA Sports Section w/ gameplay/trailer & release dates
- New Need For Speed announced w/ gameplay & release date
- Criterion's New IP announced w/ trailer & release window
- Mass Effect 4 announced w/ trailer & snippets of gameplay

Ubisoft
- Rainbow Six Siege gameplay & release date
- The Division gameplay & release window (delayed to 2016)
- Assassin's Creed: Victory gameplay & release date
- Just Dance 2016 announced w/ trailer & release date
- New IP from the Child of Light team announced w/ trailer
- UbiArt Prince of Persia announced w/ trailer
- New Splinter Cell announced w/ trailer & early gameplay

Sony
- Ratchet & Clank gameplay w/ release date
- Bloodborne DLC announced w/ trailer & release date
- Gravity Rush 2 announced for PS4 w/ trailer & release date, includes Gravity Rush 1
- Sony Bend's new IP announced w/ gameplay & release date
- Uncharted 4 story trailer
- Uncharted Trilogy for PS4 announced w/ trailer and release date
- Building the list segment w/ localization and port announcements
- Indie game montage
- Sony collaboration montage and/or trailer (RIME, Rapture, Shadow of the Beast, etc.)
- Project Morpheus discussion. Includes list of developers that will support it, reveal games that will receive Morpheus support (like Killzone, Driveclub, etc.)
- Gran Turismo 7 announced for 2016 w/ trailer, will support Morpheus
- Star Wars Battlefront gameplay w/ PlayStation exclusive content
- Metal Gear Solid V gameplay w/ PlayStation exclusive content
- Level-5's game announced w/ trailer
- Final Fantasy XV trailer
- Destiny Comet announced w/ trailer & release date
- Horizon announced w/ gameplay & release window

Asd202

If it's true must have costed MS a shitton of money.
A similar deal was made for Grand Theft Auto IV where Xbox 360 owners got exclusive access to the games two expansions before any other platform. The Lost and Damned was 13 months exclusively on Xbox 360 and The Ballad of Gay Tony was 6 months exclusively on Xbox 360.

Reports have surfaced that Microsoft and Rockstar Games have formed a partnership to bring Grand Theft Auto V’s Story downloadable content an entire month early on Xbox One and Xbox 360 before the PlayStation

expansion is rumoured to be announced during Microsoft’s E3 2015 Press Briefing

the below has spoilers
http://www.icxm.net/x/Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Exclusive-Story-DLC.html

They've been co-marketing the game with Sony for over 2 years now. I don't believe it.

Xando

They've been co-marketing the game with Sony for over 2 years now. I don't believe it.

That plus the PS4 is in such a dominant position that it makes even 1 month Xbox DLC exclusivity for a huge franchise like GTA extremely unrealistic.

But hey, we're entering E3 season, so expect a lot of "Microsoft buys [game/DLC] exclusivity" rumours over the next couple of months, no matter how realistic or unrealistic they are.

bryanee

Every year I say it and this year will be no different.

Shenmue 1, 2 HD and Shenmue 3.

I kinda think RE7 will be announced and I wouldn't be surprised to see it as an exclusive, atleast timed.

Turkoop

Banned
Reports have surfaced that Microsoft and Rockstar Games have formed a partnership to bring Grand Theft Auto V’s Story downloadable content an entire month early on Xbox One and Xbox 360 before the PlayStation

expansion is rumoured to be announced during Microsoft’s E3 2015 Press Briefing

the below has spoilers
http://www.icxm.net/x/Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Exclusive-Story-DLC.html

Can't imagine this. Rockstar is neutral to the platforms
The best way to show the new DLC is on Sonys Briefing, GTAV PS4 sold more copies than PC or X1

My personal opinion is that Sony's wording has been fine when it comes to exclusivity.

'Making it's exclusive console debut on PlayStation' means it will be available on PC, Mac and Linux too but when it comes to consoles it'll be on PlayStation first.

Sony are a lot quicker to clear up confusion than Microsoft too.

Anyone remember the variety of contortions Microsoft went through with Tomb Raider before Spencer got pissed off and cleared it up? They were being deliberately misleading.

Boyes on the other hand stood up and said that 'PlayStation 4 will be the only platform that Street Fighter 5 ever appears on'. Seems clear to me.

Ethelwulf

Is there any tangible evidence that money-hatting actually boosts sales for the console who signed the exclusivity? I don't mean whole games like tomb rider or sfv, more like dlc.

Asd202

A similar deal was made for Grand Theft Auto IV where Xbox 360 owners got exclusive access to the games two expansions before any other platform. The Lost and Damned was 13 months exclusively on Xbox 360 and The Ballad of Gay Tony was 6 months exclusively on Xbox 360.

Yeah but this time it is PS that is leading the sales by a wide margin.

Tratorn

Can't imagine this. Rockstar is neutral to the platforms
The best way to show the new DLC is on Sonys Briefing, GTAV PS4 sold more copies than PC or X1

TR did also sell way more on PlayStation than on XBox and now the next TR is time-exclusive. And there it is even a new game, not just DLC.
GTA IV DLC was also exclusive for a year and there it wasn't even mentioned that it's just a time-exclusive.

If MS wants to pay for 1 month exclusivity, then I don't see a reason why that shouldn't be possible. Maybe that's one of the reasons why the didn't spend the money for CoD marketing and time-exclusive DLC anymore (if the rumour is true), because GTA DLC would help more.

The thing about Destiny, is that...

We wouldn't know how sales of it on the PS4 would had been like without the co-marketing.

It's all anecdotal that it'll definitely sell better on Xbox otherwise because Halo and Bungie legacy.

Which is almost extremely likely true, but it still doesn't exactly "prove" it.

Auctopus

I wouldn't be surprised if Uncharted 4 was a no show and we don't see the Story Trailer until Playstation Experience, I'm sure most will disagree as the game is Sony's Ace for the next several months but I see the announcement of a UC4 Multiplayer beta due for Fall/Winter 2015 being more likely.

JMZ555

The Last Guardian

This will be its last shot for me. If there is nothing shown i will wipe it from my memory for all time.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The Last Guardian

This will be its last shot for me. If there is nothing shown i will wipe it from my memory for all time.
I have some prepared statement that you can copy/paste around the 20th of June:

"I'm not giving up hope yet. It will probably be at TGS, because it's a Japanese made game."
"I'll wait until PSX, the game is more for a hardcore crowd instead of the mainstream E3 crowd anyway."
"The game is niche enough that they will just have a live-stream at Ustream/Playstation on the 10th year anniversary for Shadow of the Collosus. Perfect time to re-reveal it."

Liamc723

I wouldn't be surprised if Uncharted 4 was a no show and we don't see the Story Trailer until Playstation Experience, I'm sure most will disagree as the game is Sony's Ace for the next several months but I see the announcement of a UC4 Multiplayer beta due for Fall/Winter 2015 being more likely.

I expect we'll see a gameplay demo like we got with Uncharted 2 at E3.

Circinus

So I guess GopherD is hinting Sony moneyhatted something? Any guesses?

Ugh, hopefully not.

I find it always weird how sometimes I see posts here that seem to actually applaud moneyhat practices (for games that were going to be available on their platform on choice anyway, so it isn't like it changes anything -_-)

Lakitu

st5fu
Can you imagine the implosion on here if something big like Fallout 4 was timed exclusive pn PS4? Even as a PS4 owner, I'd be straight up angry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom