• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies 2016 GOTY Picks

novabolt

I feel like this is an awful list, Doom couldn't compare to GOW4.

Anyway, it's their opinion and I can't knock them for that.

Worth the wait was such a wonderful bloodbath of a discussion. Really enjoyed it, even if they picked the wrong game (Jones was right!)

e: I also really enjoyed the Best Monster Hunter and Best Owl categories.

StoveOven

Banned
If anybody was curious, these were there 12 contenders (in alphabetical order):

Battlefield 1
Dark Souls 3
Dishonored 2
DOOM
Final Fantasy XV
Inside
The Last Guardian
Overwatch
Pokemon Sun & Moon
Titanfall 2
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
The Witness

It's also missing all the other categories. This OP is a mess

Best Shooter Campaign: Doom
Best Shooter Multiplayer: Overwatch
Best Multiplayer: Overwatch
Best Soundtrack: Final Fantasy XV
With the wait: Final Fantasy XV
Best Expansion: Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
Most improved: World of Warcraft
Best Monster Hunter: Monster Hunter Generations
Best shotgun: Doom
Best Beta: Nioh
Best strategy: Civ 6
Best pre-order incentive (Kyle category): Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2
Best Remaster/Remake: Gravity Rush
Best Owl: Rowlet
Also:
EZA Patrons GOTY: Uncharted 4

The stream was a ride, what with Ian and Brandon making up shit to stop TLG from winning the Worth the Wait category and then boom, GOTY. I got trolled. But well deserved, it's an incredible game.

And well done to EZA for a great year (despite how crap it's been outside of gaming).

wiibomb

I can totally say I'm really proud to back these guys, not only they have incredible discussions on this matter, they actually have a nice taste I totally appreciate.

Also, one of the most important things when discussing this matters: they care.

Some of the categories here were also hilariously good...

Best owl:Rowlet...I love these guys
tumblr_ogtv5qpyd01vala9ro1_r3_500.gif

Also:

The stream was a ride, what with Ian and Brandon making up shit to stop TLG from winning the Worth the Wait category and then boom, GOTY. I got trolled. But well deserved, it's an incredible game.

And well done to EZA for a great year (despite how crap it's been outside of gaming).
Other one that I think was an adhoc write in category was best level design showed up out of the blue and went to Dishonored 2

I gotta know the reason for that Bloodwortg pick
It's a lie. He picked TLG

wiibomb

Also:

I'm totally thinking now that was intentional, to troll people

Worth the wait was such a wonderful bloodbath of a discussion. Really enjoyed it, even if they picked the wrong game (Jones was right!)

When Bosman just started crossing things off the list, it pissed Ian off so much he grabs the clipboard and says FFXV wins."I pulled a Bosman''

Surprised by The Last Guardian taking it. I love it, especially the last third of that game will stick with me for a long time. Not sure it tops UC4 for me yet but man this year was great for games and great year for Allies.

Considering what an epic year it was for videogames, I'm pretty excited that so many of the crew flipped instantly to The Last Guardian as their GOTY only a few weeks after playing it. My hype for that game is absolutely through the roof.

The only thing that is concerning me is Huber saying that the game is really a "PS4 Pro" game and has issues on standard PS4s. I was planning on getting a PS4 for cheap after the holiday :(

Considering what an epic year it was for videogames, I'm pretty excited that so many of the crew flipped instantly to The Last Guardian as their GOTY only a few weeks after playing it. My hype for that game is absolutely through the roof.

The only thing that is concerning me is Huber saying that the game is really a "PS4 Pro" game and has issues on standard PS4s. I was planning on getting a PS4 for cheap after the holiday :(
Framerate has been confirmed to be a little rough on standard PS4s.

Great stream, solid choices. Entertaining as usual with this group. Recommend watching the entire thing on Twitch/Youtube.

I also realized i'm most closely aligned with Huber. BF1 is miraculously somehow underrated this year in my opinion and I loved hearing his passion for it and it was funny seeing everyone else not having it. Also, Uncharted was my choice for the GOTY, but can't knock the other choices. 2016 was a real solid year for games and basically nothing else at all.

Bummed they're mostly on break until 2017 as EZA has been my favorite thing in gaming this year, but love the future of this group.

Here's hoping they have a Switch reveal event betting special when they come back.

StoveOven

Banned

I've been playing it on PS4 and it's a little rough, but if you're not super susceptible to bad framerates then you should be fine.

The funny thing with huber is how he says he loves overwatch when he really doesn't. He's had bad experiences with the users on it, and has issues with the game compared to other MP shooters. I think he loves the style and characters but he jumped off overwatch pretty quickly once it launched

The real surprise was Brad put Overwatch as his #5 personal pick. Didn't see that coming

OP is missing a couple things off the top of my head.

Ian's GOTY: Witness/Darksouls 3, I think?
Ben's GOTY which i can't remember for some reason

Also, Best surprise of the year which went to Let it Die over Hitman.

Ben was Final Fantasy XV but very close over The Last Guardian and even in announcing that he was waffling over to TLG due to how well the story hit with him

vaporeon

I'd love to see in about a month of two if the guys would still agree that on their GOTYs, especially when games like TLG and FFXV were so fresh on their minds.

Thoraxes

I never paid attention to them, but given their tastes, i'm glad I never checked out their stuff.

Yikes at some of those picks outside of TLG.

K.Sabot

I'd love to see in about a month of two if the guys would still agree that on their GOTYs, especially when games like TLG and FFXV were so fresh on their minds.

exactly, i was thinking this while watching.

Honeymoon period not quite over yet for the two games, especially TLG.

Maximo

OP is missing a couple things off the top of my head.

Ian's GOTY: Witness/Darksouls 3, I think?
Ben's GOTY which i can't remember for some reason

Also, Best surprise of the year which went to Let it Die over Hitman.

OP is missing alot, false information that derailed the thread and missed out on alot of categories.

Nicely surprised at TLG taking it, awesome.

And FFXV and UC4 are great too.

I think general opinion is that you should still get it.

e: I also really enjoyed the Best Monster Hunter and Best Owl categories.

Jones was talking rubbish the whole segment. I just immediately knew that he hasn't played TLG.

Also Damiani and Bloodworth have the best personal picks.

Jones was talking rubbish the whole segment. I just immediately knew that he hasn't played TLG.

Also Damiani and Bloodworth have the best personal picks.
The argument I liked (that I think has a lot of weight) is, to paraphrase: if you're not ok with waiting another N years for the next installment of a series that's the caliber of TLG/FFXV/etc, then no matter how good the game is, it wasn't really "worth the wait".

TLG might honestly meet that criterion. If Ueda comes out with one game every decade I think most of us would be ok with that.

I've recently been watching a lot of Easy Allies. These guys have me hooked. They are great and I love how their tastes mirror my own so much (Ben in particular might as well be me).

And TLG win? They stay winning.

Top Bottom