• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies 2016 GOTY Picks

Not too suprised Brad picked FFXV. He does love FF.

Glad TLG is getting picked for #1. Even though for me personally it would be #2 or #3 this year.

HITMAN IS #1

No real surprises here with any of them picks, I take it none of them imported Persona 5? Thought that would have scooped up everything for sure considering the love in they have for JRPG's.

They need to mix up their staff a bit, they're just too predictable nowadays and that's one of the main reasons I don't visit or watch there content as often as I used too.

The Last Guardian is predictable now? They need to mix up their 9 man staff? Your post comes off like an attempt at a subtle dig because they didn't pick your favourite game.

ron_bato

My GOTY is Uncharted 4 and I'm glad it got some love even though it didnt win (played through it twice now, and chapters 17 until the end are some really topnotch stuff - plus i cant wait to dive into coop).

These guys have become my go to for gaming (other than gaf). I really love their vibe and that they can become critical without being negative. I wish them continued success and hope their brand grows.

Dalibor68

Banned
The "Most Improved" category is a joke. Why even have this award if you're going to give it away based on new expansions(Destiny, WoW)? Especcially if you literally just had the "Best Expansion" category before that. Rainbow Six deserved to win this with all the free DLC and awesome support and constant huge updates. And saying it just got big because it became free2play, which didn't even happen - jesus Huber, I didn't expect you to be this ignorant.

silva1991

GOTY 2016: The Last Guardian
Best Soundtrack: Final Fantasy XV
Best Beta: Nioh

they know what's up :)

God I can't wait for Nioh.

The Last Guardian is predictable now? They need to mix up their 9 man staff? Your post comes off like an attempt at a subtle dig because they didn't pick your favourite game.

Not a dig in the slightest, I can tell you the now that next year it will be Zelda or Persona 5 for Easy Allies GOTY. That's not a bad thing cause its what the majority of the guy's are into, but I feel it does make it a bit predictable.

I thought TLG or FF was a lock for them this year.

You really don't follow us very closely. I like Call of Duty quite a bit. Although Infinite Warfare is...ehhh.

That was just a silly throwaway comment and I could have inserted any other dude in there instead for laughs. I've actually been following the GT shows since about 2005/06 and didn't miss an episode of Tabletop for nearly 2 years, I've followed you quite a bit ;)

Anyway, im not here to derail your thread and the picks you have are all totally cool, so peace out :)

EZA 2016 Game of the Year Awards Winners:

Best Shooter Campaign:
Doom

Best Shooter Multiplayer:
Overwatch

Best Owl:
Rowlet

Best RPG:
Dark Souls III

Best Beta/Alpha/Demo:
Nioh

Best Monster Hunter released in the US for 2016:
Monster Hunter Generations

Best Strategy:
Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Worth the Wait:
Final Fantasy XV

Best Expansion:
Witcher 3: Blood and Wine

Best Remaster/Remake:
Gravity Rush Remastred

Most Improved:
World of Warcraft: Legion

Best Multiplayer:
Overwatch

Best Level Design (Ian Hinck Category):
Dishonored 2

Most Surprising:
Let it Die

Best Shotgun (Michael Huber Category):
Doom

Best Pre-Order Incentive (Kyle Bosman Category):
Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2

Best Soundtrack:
Final Fantasy XV

EZA Patron's Game of the Year:
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

EZA Game of the Year Runner Ups:
(Final Fantasy XV & Uncharted 4: A Thief's End)

EZA Game of the Year:
The Last Guardian

EZA Personal Staff GOTY Picks:

Daniel Bloodworth: The Last Guardian

Brad "Ultima" Ellis: Final Fantasy XV

Kyle Bosman: The Last Guardian

Michael Damiani: The Last Guardian

Ben Moore: Final Fantasy XV/ The Last Guardian (Currently Tied)

Michael Huber: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Ian Hinck: Dark Souls 3/ The Witness (Tied for 1st)

Brandon Jones: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Don Casanova: ?

Link to the entire EZA 2016 Game of the Year Awards Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAQwpoeX7zA

Link to the 1st Ever EZA Game of the Year 2016 Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eP_Hk43D1U

DieH@rd

Banned
TLG, U4 and Doom were the best games I played this year
[well ok, Nioh Alpha also :D ]
, but TLG really blew me away. It was truly "worth the wait".

luchadork

Not a dig in the slightest, I can tell you the now that next year it will be Zelda or Persona 5 for Easy Allies GOTY. That's not a bad thing cause its what the majority of the guy's are into, but I feel it does make it a bit predictable.

I thought TLG or FF was a lock for them this year.

i was expecting overwatch or uncharted 4. had no idea TLG was going to get it.

WITHE1982

Nice. I've a lot of respect for these guys from back in their Gametrailers days. The majority choosing The Last Guardian just solidifies that for me.

I'm about 60% through it at the minute and it may well be my GOTY. I can tell already by the amount of times I'm uttering "wow" "whoa" and "this game!" out loud while playing it. Breathtaking stuff.

Will watch the incoming vid as I'm sure it'll be spoiler free.

Thinking back on when The Last Guardian was re-revealed at E3 '15 and the GT crew's reaction to it, the game had a much more subdued response than the likes of FFVII-Remake and Shenmue III. "It looks the same!"

It's really cool to see the game go on to become their GOTY.

Thinking back on when The Last Guardian was re-revealed at E3 '15 and the GT crew's reaction to it, the game had a much more subdued response than the likes of FFVII-Remake and Shenmue III. "It looks the same!"

Guess who said that and is not there anymore.

The Last Guardian ain't about appearances. What makes it special is only truly known after playing it.

Tsosie

Was a great stream. I do not catch them live enough, I should try to make more Livestream in 2017. Worth the wait was a killer fight.

Guess who said that and is not there anymore.

Well yeah, but the vibe I got during the revel was that all of them were a bit errrr... underwhelmed maybe?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The Last Guardian ain't about appearances. What makes it special is only truly known after playing it.

Oh for sure, I understand that from having played the previous two Team ICO games. I'm just saying, I think some of the Easy Allies' guys ended up being a lot more excited for TLG than they let on. I was really surprised by Bloodworth's review.

sense

No real surprises here with any of them picks, I take it none of them imported Persona 5? Thought that would have scooped up everything for sure considering the love in they have for JRPG's.

They need to mix up their staff a bit, they're just too predictable nowadays and that's one of the main reasons I don't visit or watch there content as often as I used too.
I guess a lack of Xbox one love got to you huh.

Kinda Funny don't even play games anymore. Few minutes of this, a couple of hours of that, and then try to form a complete opinion on a game, which is impossible if you haven't dug deep into it.

This isn't really true - if you see their trophy lists, you'd perhaps try and be a little less disingenuous.

Yes it's true some of them may have not liked TLG for example (Tim finished it), but that's not really an issue since the game just isn't for them, and I don't really see why they should force themselves to finish a game they don't like just for the sake of pleasing a crowd that can go and watch other reviews that do like it (see their latest TLG video to see what I mean).

It's not like in the IGN days where they're journalists and have to finish a game for a review, even one they don't like. Here they have so much more autonomy on what they want to play due to the nature of their business and that's fine.

A bunch of dudes that probably grew up playing the exact same games I did.

Thank God for that youtube channel. Much need when you see people with horrid tastes like Greg Miller out there.

Lol it's just a different type of taste -- don't see why people get insecure when people have a different opinion to them.

I mean some games aren't going to be for everyone. That's fine -- it doesn't mean you're always going to line up with people you watch.

I know confirmation bias is a thing....but jeez, I really don't get the point of this comment.

Auctopus

Yeah, Elyse said "It looks the same." before Ian said "it can look any way it wants to look.".

Just because they weren't whooping and hollering and they were quiet whilst the game was being played doesn't mean in anyway they weren't excited. Kyle was vocally very excited about the game before and after that E3. Also, opinions change, they hadn't even played the game.

Finally, FFVII and Shenmue 3 are some of the crew's favourite games ever. TLG was always going to resurface but the idea of a Shenmue sequel for Huber at the time was insane. Hence the less than subdued reactions.

Edited: I was coming across as angry, didn't mean to be.

Karu

Lol it's just a different type of taste -- don't see why people get insecure when people have a different opinion to them.

I mean some games aren't going to be for everyone. That's fine -- it doesn't mean you're always going to line up with people you watch.

I know confirmation bias is a thing....but jeez, I really don't get the point of this comment.
The need of certain parts of certain communities to distinguish themselves at the expense of others is such a waste. It annoys me greatly. GiantBomb. Easy Allies. Kinda Funny. Whoeverelse.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
TLG is too recently released to be taken as a critical judgement.

Also seems like Huber and Jones didn't fight hard enough for Uncharted 4 considering their personal picks clearly underlined it as a full package. Patrons got it right.

TLG is too recently released to be taken as a critical judgement.

Also seems like Huber and Jones didn't fight hard enough for Uncharted 4 considering their personal picks clearly underlined it as a full package. Patrons got it right.
I can't think of any instance where my take on a game or my GOTY changes too much after I finish it. For example my thoughts on Uncharted 4 and Doom (My GOTY before TLG came out) remain unchanged since I played them in May.

Also an argument can also be made TLG getting the nod is surprising since it's only been out a short time before the vote. That means you need enough people to play it and vote for it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Also an argument can also be made TLG getting the nod is surprising since it's only been out a short time before the vote. That means you need enough people to play it and vote for it.

I think thats also a problem. Because Huber and Jones probably haven't had a chance to play TLG yet, by virtue of them feeling they don't have a complete opinion of the year, they likely stepped out the way and let everyone elses TLG hype roll through unchecked.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think thats also a problem. Because Huber and Jones probably haven't had a chance to play TLG yet, by virtue of them feeling they don't have a complete opinion of the year, they likely stepped out the way and let everyone elses TLG hype roll through unchecked.
Yup. TLG and FF15 should both be disqualified for being too recent. Easy Allies 2016 GOTY is Uncharted 4.

Top Bottom