• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #256: Why PS4 is your next console (Shots fired, post-DRM 180)

Evilisk

For some reason I was reminded of the SCEA Logo

hofwaY7.jpg
sponsor_SCEA_logo-on_white.jpg

Huggers

That was a classic. I remember the sheer meltdown on the old Edge forums over it.

Bad sign if Edge is saying PS4 but then I'm weary enough to remember the entire "EDGE IS SONY BIASED!" saga of 2006 and the amount of reverse ferrets Edge has always pulled.

Yep, classic. It was the issue that gave Halo 10/10. At the time they'd only ever dished out a handful of perfect scores.

They're not biased but prone to making bold sometimes slightly sensationalist statements, especially on their covers. I like it. Makes me want to read their stance. Surely that's mission accomplished for them?

EDGE is a magazine in the same vein as The Economist: Both mix "opinion" and "facts" in the same articles, and both are not afraid to make clear choices. See how The Economist always makes a statement about who should win the American presidential elections.

There's such a thing as integrity. A games journalist is expected to not show any bias when it comes to all platforms. That headline is pure Daily Mail levels of shit.

Is this really what we have been reduced to? Do actual journalists who publish anything other than glorified advertorials come across as lacking integrity?

I fucking hate the 21st century.

Corporations have robbed us of all sense of self worth.

EDGE just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about game journalist culture (I'm an expert), but non-confrontation and appeasing publishers are huge parts of it. It's not like Nintendo where they dont give a shit because they have Nintendo Directs. If you screw someone over Microsoft, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the UK public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Edge, they will also start reading Polygon. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but EDGE has alienated an entire market with this move.

EDGE, publicly apologize to MS, Mattrick and Balmer or you can kiss your business goodbye.

haha

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They're saying more and they're saying it in a sensationalist way ("Xbox One's road to ruin"). It's possible this was pre-180, in which case I might cut them *some* slack, but this way it's really unfortunate.
I think even with the 180 there's a lot to lambast them for. The fact that they considered it in the first place, the fact that they just changed a huge piece of their console hardly inspires confidence, the fact that they are being constantly evasive in their PR, etc.

This is not comparable and it should be obvious why.
Because gamers generally have the emotional security of four year-olds and can't deal with their favourite company being called out in public? That's the most significant one I can see.

You're dodging the question at which point an "opinion" and "taking a stance" is too much. When is there too much hyperbole? It's also a bit amusing how you downplay the headline, while to proclaim that "if you have to 'crank up the hyperbole' to make a point you've failed to make one'", when the latter makes it obvious why taking a stance in such a way is something I'd rather not see.
I'm not dodging the question at all. I'm saying that you can't present me with an absurdly hyperbolic hypothetical alternative and then use that to claim that the actual article is out of line.

The front cover of a publication in any other industry proclaiming 'WHY X IS YOUR NEW Y' wouldn't even bat an eyelid. In gaming it's 'LOL SHOTS FIRED THEY'RE PWNED' and 'JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY! THIS IS OVERSTEPPING A LINE!'.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about game journalist culture (I'm an expert), but non-confrontation and appeasing publishers are huge parts of it. It's not like Nintendo where they dont give a shit because they have Nintendo Directs. If you screw someone over Microsoft, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the UK public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Edge, they will also start reading Polygon. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but EDGE has alienated an entire market with this move.

EDGE, publicly apologize to MS, Mattrick and Balmer or you can kiss your business goodbye.

tdb3280_not-sure-if-fry-uKXXu6.jpg

What? They've been a downward spiral since the Godawful redesign from a couple years ago.

Everything has gone to shit. The writing, the reviews, etc. It's a shadow of its former self.

Unfortunately, that's absolutely true. I also stopped buying Edge around the time of the format change, and it was not because of the redesign. It's not that there's no quality stuff left in Edge, but their content has been extremely inconsistent lately. I mean, they published this thing in one of their latest issues, for Christ's sake.

JehutyGR

Excellent.

Squire

Banned
What's worse, having a very clear bias that's easily detectable by people that read/listen to what you're saying while denying that it's there or being upfront about your choice?

Honesty is appreciated. I don't think it's better than what I've presented, but I do appreciate it.

hodgy100

I was waiting for this!

You serious?

Sean*O

Dry and balls deep.

Seriously though, the Xbone reveal and the events surrounding it is one of the biggest stories in video game history, and just might be one of the most colossul fuckups in the history of big business.

Why shouldn't they cover it honestly instead of sweeping it under the rug. Im aware they are trying to tap into the current prevailing sentiment of their audience but you cant really deny how incredibly bad MS screwed this up.

So they get a pass in my book. MS reversed policy but many people who heard about the former will not be aware of that, maybe not for a long time to come.

I dont want MS or any other to ever consider attempting this again so the more heat they take the better.

I love how this thread has devolved into a debate over what journalists fundamentally do, moneyhats, ad/ed split and reputation.

Me myself, I am a subsciber and I could not live without EDGE. In my opinion, EDGE is by far the best gamesmag around and most of the time the are legit ......sure there is some bs in each issue, but that's the gamesindustry, it's all about rumours, gossip, predictions and hype.

PnCIa

As if there is any "integrity" in game journalism. They may just come out in the open and show what they think and who paid more.

Unfortunately, that's absolutely true. I also stopped buying Edge around the time of the format change, and it was not because of the redesign. It's not that there's no quality stuff left in Edge, but their content has been extremely inconsistent lately. I mean, they published this thing in one of their latest issues, for Christ's sake.

That's a column.

Honesty is appreciated. I don't think it's better than what I've presented, but I do appreciate it.

I agree. At least you know where they stand if you choose to read their issues. I definitely prefer publications to just be upfront about where they stand, even though it's extremely rare. Same goes for gamers. But you'll often times see gamers hide behind the "I own all consoles, so I can't be biased!" line.

pa22word

And what if the facts indeed point to PS4 being practically the only good choice for consumers?

Then present those facts and let the readers come to that conclusion naturally, without you doing marketing's job for them.

Seriously why am I even bothering to explain this? Fuck...

You haven't read the article.

What? I don't have to. That cover is an advertisement for the PS4, and I hope Sony paid them well for it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I read GameKult, GameBlog, etc. journalists on twitter, where they speak their own opinions and not the more conservative tone they use in their articles. And from what I read I think this Edge editorial is a common appreciation in the industry.

Nocturno999

Someone should find the famous cover Edge did with the cracked Mario face saying "Is Nintendo Breaking Up?" during the N64 vs. PS1 era.

Actually, wasn't that Next Generation magazine?
Yes, it's Next Generation Magazine which was affiliated with Edge. I'm pretty sure I have that issue somewhere.

That N64 article was very accurate and they also did a great Sega Saturn article detailing the console's terrible launch.

Then present those facts and let the readers come to that conclusion naturally, without you doing marketing's job for them.

Seriously why am I even bothering to explain this? Fuck...
You do realise the article is supposed to be inside the magazine rather than on the cover?
The cover is designed to sell, let's see what the article says first and if it's full of shit, bleat away.

DieH@rd

Banned
MS tried to screw us, and then said sorry when people started throwing money on PS4.

We should never forget their crazy powergrabbing move, I agree with Edge. MS needs to get trough several years of grilling, and they need to prove their dedication to customers [removing H3 and A2 was not a good move] and be better than their competitors.

Top Bottom