• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #256: Why PS4 is your next console (Shots fired, post-DRM 180)

Nibel

Push me off the EDGE if old

hofwaY7.jpg

E256: why PS4 is your next console – and the titanic errors on Xbox One’s road to ruin

We detail how Sony crushed Microsoft at E3 2013 and why PS4 is your next console in the new issue of Edge magazine.

Our extended Hype section takes in the biggest and most significant new games to emerge from this year’s E3, including Metal Gear Solid 5, The Division, Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls II, Final Fantasy XV and many more.

Source (EDGE)

When was the last time that a major outlet supported a console like that while shitting on the other? :lol

Edit: Some notes from the article:

The articles pretty clearly elaborate on the front cover's sentiment. They do stick to their guns.

To go through their reasoning and some of the more cutting comments:

- PS4 focusses on players, that it is cheaper is 'merely one of its various advantages'
- Success isn't merely about price, but unfortunately for Microsoft PS4 is more powerful, and more developer friendly and has far better brand perception
- Microsoft's brand perception after the DRM reversal may no longer be 'down the toilet' but is still 'dangling somewhere around the rim'.
- Sony is willing to let indies self publish and release on PC and that, along with Sony's 17-strong WWS, leads Edge to believe that 'leaves little doubt as to which of the platform holders will offer the broadest range of games, at least early on'.
- Edge believes Microsoft has 'alienated the most vibrant development community in the modern era' and that their approach to indies is akin to them not courting EA or Epic last generation.
- Edge thinks their policies may see hundreds of game losses to PS4 over time
- After weeks of mixed messages Microsoft is 'a difficult company to trust'.
- Xbox One is the latest in a line of Microsoft experiments that consumers have rejected for similar reasons - a line that arrived too late with features that were too early for the market. Microsoft 'has constantly misjudged consumers' expectations', their new box 'equally confused'.
- Microsoft has 16 exclusive titles but are "trapped in the shadows of a mythical magic box that 'solves a hundred problems you never cared about solving in the first place".
- "In turning things around, Microsoft faces the kind of challenge that once drove the mighty Sega out of the hardware business"

[/Mod Power Abuse]

SmokyDave

Blimey. They're not pulling any punches.

Whichever launches first is my next console. Followed swiftly by the other one.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Could that feature have been written before MS furiously backpedalled on the DRM unicycle?

sakipon

And the bad word of mouth continues. The next Mattrick has got a huge job ahead of him/her.

I dropped my hate for Xbox One on the 180 day. I'd still be interested in hearing some bullet points from that article.

Radec

Could that feature have been written before MS furiously backpedalled on the DRM unicycle?

I doubt it. They had the time to re-write it if that was originally the main content.

Recalling back issues due to misinformation is much harder to do.

Zok310

Banned

Well they had time to remove the article, it's not as if MS just announced the switch on DRM policy 1 hour ago.
Edge had plenty of time to drop the article and run with something different.

Lethal

Neo Member
I wonder if this is on the level. Is the battle really this one sided that a major publication makes a move like this unwarranted?

Granted i havent read the article, but that cover...

squidyj

I wonder if this is on the level. Is the battle really this one sided that a major publication makes a move like this unwarranted?

Granted i havent read the article, but that cover...

You're right, they wouldn't make this move without it being totally warranted.

NekoFever

I like how Edge does a cover like this, as well as the 'PS3 strikes back' one way back when, and people will still complain that they hate Sony.

madmackem

Could have been written before the 180, however Xbox one is £429 in the uk edge is a uk magazine on price alone Xbox one is fighting with a hand tied behind its back.

Considering that EDGE of all publications is now anti-Xbox, I would be very worried if I was an MS exec. This much bad press is a terrible sign of things to come.

Top Bottom