• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

If Sony has something that's thre equivalent of "wii sports" for VR, I'm ready but they shouldn't release banking on other Devs outside of sony

doemaaan

I hope Sony has there own version of this. It turns the Move and nav controller into a single device. Two of these would be the perfect VR input device.

DualPlay_Peripheral.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hykjEBYzCnE

That demo would've been so SICK with VR. Man... when are we going to get decent games with tech like this?? (VR included) I hope it happens this console generation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So... DriveClub re-reveal incoming, or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Not sure if it will be shown at GDC. There may be only one or two demos, and there's a few alternative possibilities.

However I think once this particular cat is out of the bag Evo will at least start talking about DC again.

Not sure if it will be shown at GDC. There may be only one or two demos, and there's a few alternative possibilities.

However I think once this particular cat is out of the bag Evo will at least start talking about DC again.
Nice, thank you!

Is the general expectation that VR will be playable at E3, released fall 2014, or shown at E3, released 2015?
Correction: the guy is not a journalist for the site, but a collaborator and moderator.
Didn't read lol.gif - still hyped.

Is the general expectation that VR will be playable at E3, released fall 2014, or shown at E3, released 2015?

I don't know about general expectations, but what I hope is this:

Announced at GDC with tech demo.
Full unveiling and playability at E3, release date/price/first-party VR titles.
Fall 2014, together with DriveClub.

StuBurns

Banned
I think it'll be out in November.

I think they'll get The Order out early October, and they don't have a big November game, because they'll be pushing VR at the time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
By the way, perhaps it's already been mentioned, but the listing for the other Sony session about 'PlayStation4's new input devices' has been corrected to indicate that it is one hour long, rather than the original two. Which makes more sense. It's the day after Yoshida's session so it's quite plausible they'll talk again about VR and VR interaction with Move etc. there.

edit - Actually, there's going to be an accompanying demo at the Sony booth tied to that second session...so I'm guessing it's not VR related at all. It probably is 'just' a DS4/Move/Camera/AR thing.
http://us.playstation.com/develop/gdc-2014/booth-features/

5:00pm - Creating Unique Interactive Experiences with the PlayStation®4
presented by Strategy Team, Developer Services and Support Group
Didn’t make it to the GDC sponsored session? Come to the booth and try out the demo for yourself! Come play with the DualShock® 4 controller, PlayStation® Camera, PlayStation® Move, PlayStation® App, and the new interactive services available during live gameplay streaming. Everything is used together for a unique experience only found on the PS4™!

I hope this is how it'll go down, would be absolutely perfect! A fall release for DC would be quite disappointing, but VR would easily make up for it.

This would be perfect.

I hope they have a VR room app of sorts where you can invite friends and change themes (snow mountain, volcano, forest, cave, etc), while interacting with simple objects. That would be killer.

StuBurns

Banned
Really? It doesn't sound like that to me ):
Why? Because of the App?

If you look at the list:
DualShock® 4 controller,
PlayStation® Camera,
PlayStation® Move,
PlayStation® App,
the new interactive services

And the claim:
a unique experience only found on the PS4

It's clear you're not going to be using all those things literally at the same time, so it's a series of demos that uses some of those elements.

I think they'll announce a min-games collection, or a selection of tech demos that will become the mini-game collection, and they each use some of those things in the demo.

plainr_

Too bad the rumors of the break-apart controller didn't pan out. I was so hoping for that to be the real Dualshock successor.

You may be right. It seemed to me like the main focus of the demo was going to be the interactive experience while live streaming games, but it sounds like there's room for VR in there with the camera and Move.

TimFL

With the Move?

Why do they even need to demo that stuff? I thought it was just you can take over someone's game if they want you to?

Didn’t make it to the GDC sponsored session? Come to the booth and try out the demo for yourself! Come play with the DualShock® 4 controller, PlayStation® Camera, PlayStation® Move, PlayStation® App, and the new interactive services available during live gameplay streaming. Everything is used together for a unique experience only found on the PS4™!

It also doesn't make sense to use the Move, the Controller and the App together. I think they are just listing all input devices/features they have which includes the livestream interact feature which results in an unique gaming experience only found on PS4.

StuBurns

Banned
It also doesn't make sense to use the Move, the Controller and the App together. I think they are just listing all input devices/features they have which includes the livestream interact feature which results in an unique gaming experience only found on PS4.
But it says 'and' for the streaming, suggesting it's also one of the suite of features, not that they all center around it, to me at least.

Come to think of it, that sort of attachment would actually make a lot of sense. It would be cheap and very effective provided Move face buttons are mirrored onto the attachment (which would connect to the Move via its EXT port).

They might actually release it with Navi functionality already "embedded" so that all you'd need would be the Moves. Kinda like the STEM system.

Ideally replace the STEM module with a Move.
2quMVnX.jpg

That is actually a great ideal. So ideally a PlayStation VR HMD would come with a Move controller a Stem like attachmet? That shouldn't be too costly.

Related?

Sony PlayStation’s U.S. R&D Organization is looking for a talented engineer to join one of their software development teams. This engineer will work with game and middle-ware developers in order to integrate support for new PlayStation technologies. Knowledge of a wide variety of console game engines and middle-ware is highly desired. Examples of such engines and middle-ware are Bullet Physics Engine, CRI Middle-ware, CryENGINE, FMod, Havok, PhysX, Unity, Unreal Engine, WWise. Prior experience in developing games is highly desired. Specialized knowledge in either audio or computer vision is a plus. Imagination is essential. An ability to learn what is needed and get things done promptly is required.

http://jobs.us.playstation.com/jobs/963792-Software-Engineer-Game-Engine-Middleware.aspx

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...pular-engines-like-cryengine-unreal-and-more/

StuBurns

Banned
It must suck for the industry to have to hide what they're working on even in job adverts.

I thought it was so great when Bungie just advertised for PS3 developers. People were still in denial.

DieH@rd

Banned
It must suck for the industry to have to hide what they're working on even in job adverts.

I thought it was so great when Bungie just advertised for PS3 developers. People were still in denial.

Publicly traded companies will almost never openly leak things that can have impact on their stock prices. Lets see what they will showcase in 2 days on GDC.

StuBurns

Banned
Publicly traded companies will almost never openly leak things that can have impact on their stock prices. Lets see what they will showcase in 2 days on GDC.
I understand that, I just think it's odd. It's not like announcing VR, it's just saying they're messing with it somewhere, but they've already showed us that. They even shipped a VR unit for PS2 twelve years ago. I feel like they should be able to mention VR in a job ad.

vpance

I understand that, I just think it's odd. It's not like announcing VR, it's just saying they're messing with it somewhere, but they've already showed us that. They even shipped a VR unit for PS2 twelve years ago. I feel like they should be able to mention VR in a job ad.

Hardly anyone remembers those devices. The first official confirmation needs to have some fanfare around it, not from a job posting :)

Top Bottom