• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

StuBurns

Banned
Hardly anyone remembers those devices. The first official confirmation needs to have some fanfare around it, not from a job posting :)
But the job posting wouldn't be an official confirmation, anymore than the open fact they've been messing with this stuff.

url15.jpg

But the job posting wouldn't be an official confirmation, anymore than the open fact they've been messing with this stuff.

url15.jpg

I just want to see the damned thing and get confirmation that it actually works well. If Sony nails the hardware and price point, they automatically win the this gen.

StuBurns

Banned
I just want to see the damned thing and get confirmation that it actually works well.
Yeah, I'm very eager for the announcement. I'm sure it's real, but until they reveal it, it's always easy to write off the R&D and kill the project. Once they show it, we're getting it.

I don't think we'll get a release date or price, but those things can wait. If they say "VR is coming to PS4, you're going to need a camera and Move shit", that's all I need.

I'm already very confident it will provide a worthwhile VR experience, and be a reasonable price. I just need the confirmation.

Soi-Fong

Yeah, I'm very eager for the announcement. I'm sure it's real, but until they reveal it, it's always easy to write off the R&D and kill the project. Once they show it, we're getting it.

I don't think we'll get a release date or price, but those things can wait. If they say "VR is coming to PS4, you're going to need a camera and Move shit", that's all I need.

I'm already very confident it will provide a worthwhile VR experience, and be a reasonable price. I just need the confirmation.

I'm hoping for at least a demonstration, list of developers and a demos or two,

The DS4 is closer to the Wii Remote+ than the Move.
That's a bit harsh. The lightbar makes the DS4 functionally identical to the Move wand, which puts it miles ahead of the Wiimote+.

Granted, it offers a more limited range of motion than a wand, but playing with it last night, I discovered it wasn't nearly as limited as I anticipated. I was able to yaw the controller about 80º in either direction before the camera lost sight of the lightbar. Thanks to the sloping front, I was able to pitch the controller up more than 90º and maintain tracking, or about 45º down. It should be noted I have my camera on top of the TV rather than the 20" above the floor that Playroom recommends. I imagine lowering the camera will lessen my ability to pitch up, and increase pitch-down, but I'll need to test it.

In Playroom, it takes me a few minutes of waggling to cause the bot-sucking vacuum cone to come out from the controller at wrong angles.
Hmm. I was unable to reproduce this behavior. No matter how long or how vigorously I shook the controller, it never lost tracking unless it lost sight of the lightbar, and even then, it just made the vacuum effect go away, just as though you'd placed your hand over the light bar. It never came out at the wrong angle though.

Holding the DS4 as you suggest, not only it would be awkward to operate, but you'd basically hide the bar from the camera. Which would make accurate positional tracking even harder.
I'm talking about gripping the right handle as you would a wand. Yes, it's a bit awkward, but you're still able to access X and the R buttons easily enough, and it doesn't obscure the lightbar at all. As I said, you're not going to want to do it as your primary form of interaction, but for the occasional reach-and-grab, it should be fine, I'd think.

Come to think of it, that sort of attachment would actually make a lot of sense. It would be cheap and very effective provided Move face buttons are mirrored onto the attachment (which would connect to the Move via its EXT port).

They might actually release it with Navi functionality already "embedded" so that all you'd need would be the Moves. Kinda like the STEM system.

Ideally replace the STEM module with a Move.
Hmm. I hadn't really considered attachments for the wand. The Sharpshooter proves it's a viable option, and the attachment itself could provide the needed joysticks and buttons (as opposed to additionally slotting in a nav pickle, like you do with the Sharpshooter). That may actually be the best solution, when compared to break-apart DualShocks, or new, joystick-bearing wands.

Tratorn

I still can't believe they would announce this if there won't even be a livestream.
Would be lame to announce it like "yes, we have a VR-headset coming but we won't show anything to the public for now".

StuBurns

Banned
I still can't believe they would announce this if there won't even be a livestream.
Would be lame to announce it like "yes, we have a VR-headset coming but we won't show anything to the public for now".
We don't actually know there won't be a live stream. We know there won't be one for the programming talk the day after, but there's been no confirmation for what we're suspecting will be the reveal talk.

There's always the chance the reveal actually happens but we don't see it, we get a produced sizzle reel video released at the same time.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Do you think they will reveal the price or wait for E3

Won't reveal price

Probably won't reveal what the unit looks like

Probably won't reveal any games

I think the best we can hope for is for some journalist impressions, and maybe a demo of it running on DriveClub and/or the Witness (announced games)

But that may be it

DemonNite

url15.jpg

Someone used that old tech to port a greek game to an FPS demo back in the day. Worked quite well but it was just a demo nothing more.

StuBurns

Banned
Someone used that old tech to port a greek game to an FPS demo back in the day. Worked quite well but it was just a demo nothing more.
Indeed, I wasn't suggesting it was the VR unit.

Just that if Sony can openly show tech demos of things like headset based motion tracking, it seems like they could mention VR in a job description without it hurting share prices or whatever.

I just don't believe it would make any difference.

Knoxcore

People bought a $150 paperweight least generation. If they can get VR to work at a price that does not kill the device before it had a chance then it can be a success. I'm reserving judgement. This industry is so fickle when it comes to this like this.

vpance

I think we'll get dev and press impressions, along with photos. It'll be hard to communicate the experience in a live stream anyways. E3 will be where it's at IMO.

It's gotta be pretty polished now too if they already wanted to show it last year.

DieH@rd

Banned
Do you think they will reveal the price or wait for E3

This will be technical, both for software and hardware things they want to promote. Commercial presentation will be at E3, games, entertainment apps, price, and even final form of the device.

There is a very large chance that in 2 days they will show off some ugly developer kit.

No stream

Not much hype

Sounds like this is going to be a behind closed doors sort of reveal. I'm wondering if we'll even get to see the device.

Agreed. As much as I would love to see what this is all about, no public viewing = no real announcement. I could imagine them showing something like that eye tracking demo they did, but nothing amounting to a product announcement will come to pass. I don't even mean just no price or release date, I mean something that only vaguely hints at a future product is the most we'll see. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

vpance

Agreed. As much as I would love to see what this is all about, no public viewing = no real announcement. I could imagine them showing something like that eye tracking demo they did, but nothing amounting to a product announcement will come to pass. I don't even mean just no price or release date, I mean something that only vaguely hints at a future product is the most we'll see. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

The only thing that matters is that specs are detailed, which there will be at a place like GDC. Who cares if we saw yosp twirling around on stage live. Wait for E3 for everything else.

The only thing that matters is that specs are detailed, which there will be at a place like GDC. Who cares if we saw yosp twirling around on stage live. Wait for E3 for everything else.

I'm saying you're not even going to get tech specs. Leaks if you're lucky, but nothing more. I hope I'm wrong.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I think it will be kind of like the very first E3 Move reveal. I know that was livestreamed, but in other respects, like that. No official name, but I think we will get a press release with information, it will be established that it is an in development product, and that it is something that they want developers to work on.

This is a private event, but it is not NDA-ed, and it is open to press as well as developers. Indeed GDC has been actively promoting it as something press should attend.

StuBurns

Banned
I think we'll get the real thing, what it looks like, what it's called, the specs, video of tech demos, and a confirmed launch window.

They can detail price, release date and software line up at E3.

If we literally get nothing, I don't think I'll be disappointed, I just want to know for a fact it's coming, I don't even care when.

ShinMaruku

I wonder if everybody so hyped up on the vr sets have any idea how they will work and how not all games can fit them. Maybe the next experience is not the games you want.

It's all said and good they have a vr set that will be expensive but temper your hype people.

I think we'll get the real thing, what it looks like, what it's called, the specs, video of tech demos, and a confirmed launch window.

They can detail price, release date and software line up at E3.

If we literally get nothing, I don't think I'll be disappointed, I just want to know for a fact it's coming, I don't even care when.

I think we'll get the real thing too, a full-blown reveal where we actually see it in action, learn the name, get a few games announced for it, ect.... Especially if the rumors are true that they've been ready to show it for a while now but delayed the reveal a few times to tweak the final design.

I just have a feeling this is going to release in 2014.

I wonder if everybody so hyped up on the vr sets have any idea how they will work and how not all games can fit them. Maybe the next experience is not the games you want.

It's all said and good they have a vr set that will be expensive but temper your hype people.

I know that I won't be playing any online MP stuff, the lag and stuttering would fry my brains with that helmet on! Just played some BF4 before and it wasn't smooth sailing at all ;(

StuBurns

Banned
VR isn't going to replace a monitor, it's only ever going to be good for certain titles.

Competitive multiplayer seems like a fairly pointless use of VR.

Multiplayer itself could be great, interacting with people in Home or whatever.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Hmm. I was unable to reproduce this behavior. No matter how long or how vigorously I shook the controller, it never lost tracking unless it lost sight of the lightbar, and even then, it just made the vacuum effect go away, just as though you'd placed your hand over the light bar. It never came out at the wrong angle though.

Please check this video of mine I took for you.

http://youtu.be/GFc5nwaon5k

Notice how:

1) During the first seconds of the clip, the tip of the cone loses alignement with the center of the lightbar as you push the controller towards the PS4 camera. Then it re-alignes as you pull it backwards. Not a big deal but definitely not a Move-like behaviour. I'm not sure why this occurs. Perhaps it's due to the fact that depth tracking is executed using stereo data provided by the camera rather than by measuring the size of the lightbar.

2) The rest of the video shows how (badly) you can fuck up the tracking in a matter of seconds. Of course, it doesn't get *that* bad during normal play, but you can tell the tracking is accumulating errors over time. And it doesn't dynamically "auto-fix" (which the PS Move tech does).

Of course it's better than Wiimote+ (which is limited by the narrow FOV of its camera - had it been 180° it would be closer) but it's nowhere near the PlayStation Move IMO.

Thanks, TTP. I'll check it out when I get home. <3

I care. :(

Well, more about Rick and Anton, but yeah.

Top Bottom