• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

Please check this video of mine I took for you.

http://youtu.be/GFc5nwaon5k

Notice how:

1) During the first seconds of the clip, the tip of the cone loses alignement with the center of the lightbar as you push the controller towards the PS4 camera. Then it re-alignes as you pull it backwards. Not a big deal but definitely not a Move-like behaviour. I'm not sure why this occurs. Perhaps it's due to the fact that depth tracking is executed using stereo data provided by the camera rather than by measuring the size of the lightbar.

2) The rest of the video shows how (badly) you can fuck up the tracking in a matter of seconds. Of course, it doesn't get *that* bad during normal play, but you can tell the tracking is accumulating errors over time. And it doesn't dynamically "auto-fix" (which the PS Move tech does).

Of course it's better than Wiimote+ (which is limited by the narrow FOV of its camera - had it been 180° it would be closer) but it's nowhere near the PlayStation Move IMO.

your videos are amazing and quite detailed by the way

:)

Skeff

I'm saying you're not even going to get tech specs. Leaks if you're lucky, but nothing more. I hope I'm wrong.

I think we'll get specs, the kit is already in Developers hands so the time for leaks has gone and we're heading into official numbers.

I just hope I'll be able to buy without the Camera and move sticks (if necessary), as I already have them.

Elder Scrolls VI in VR, only on PS4
and PC
This will change everything. believe.

They'd never make that exclusive unless Sony forked over a fortune.

However, Sony could make their own 1st person, open-world RPG.

Quite frankly, they should. Sony desperately needs more RPGs for its platform.

Too many friggin shooters, racers, sports titles and action titles.

RPGs are sorely lacking. Especially in 1st party. Its the only genre Sony doesn't make.

They'd never make that exclusive unless Sony forked over a fortune.

However, Sony could make their own 1st person, open-world RPG.

Quite frankly, they should. Sony desperately needs more RPGs for its platform.

Too many friggin shooters, racers, sports titles and action titles.

RPGs are sorely lacking. Especially in 1st party. Its the only genre Sony doesn't make.

Guerrilla has long been rumored to be making an RPG. They actually hired the "lead story guy" for Fallout New Vegas. He was last working on the recently announced Shadow of Mordor game. and his Linkedin says this

Narrative designer with extensive in-house game development experience. My focus is storytelling for open-world role-playing games. Because they are awesome.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez

Sony should buy up a lower tier RPG maker like Obsidian, hire an RPG developer, or assemble a team or former Bioware/Obsidian/Bethesda guys to make an RPG for them.

They really gotta fill that gap. Like I said, its the only genre they don't make. At least, in the last number of years.

It would be perfect for VR. Especially something Skyrim/Fallout in design.

Guerrilla has long been rumored to be making an RPG. They actually hired the "lead story guy" for Fallout New Vegas. He was last working on the recently announced Shadow of Mordor game. and his Linkedin says this

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez

Yeah, I heard that rumor. I hope it is true. However, I also hope its not the only RPG Sony is working on.

I wish Sony had taken that futuristic shooter that Stig Asmussen was working on and turned it into a Mass Effect-like RPG.

Nzyme32

Elder Scrolls VI in VR, only on PS4
and PC
This will change everything. believe.

Zenimax did not let Carmack do anything with VR at ID, and I imagine are doing the same with Bethesda and Elder Scrolls if the topic came up at all. It is too risky as a business decision for such an established and financially profitable product versus the new and unproven VR

StuBurns

Banned
Zenimax did not let Carmack do anything with VR at ID, and I imagine are doing the same with Bethesda and Elder Scrolls if the topic came up at all. It is too risky as a business decision for such an established and financially profitable product versus the new and unproven VR
The Rift, while seemingly the obvious forerunner on PC, is still in an open market, Valve could abandon them and compete against them at any time, preexisting hardware manufactures could compete. Diving so head first into Rift support is risky. Sony will be the only people who ever ship a VR headset on PS4, and PS4 is going to be the dominate console platform for the next eight years. They have hugely more sway than Oculus.

Obviously FO4/ES6 would never be exclusive, but I think Sony getting VR in there seems totally realistic.

EVIL

If the PS4 VR delivers "presence" then people will pay whatever is needed to experience it (Flying trough the grand canyon, riding crazy rollercoasters, experience falling from a skyscraper, its crazy how the body reacts to pure optical imput).

Although I have to admit, I am setting my expectations extremely low, not because I might get disappointed, but I actually think things are overblown with the lack of official information to a point where people have some unrealistic expectations. I'd love to be proven wrong, but my gut tells me otherwise.

If the PS4 VR delivers "presence" then people will pay whatever is needed to experience it (Flying trough the grand canyon, riding crazy rollercoasters, experience falling from a skyscraper, its crazy how the body reacts to pure optical imput).
Even doing a Leap of Faith in AssPirates can make my tummy feel funny sometimes. VR is gonna be crazy.

StuBurns

Banned
Presence is not going to be the defining factor on if people want VR. Even if someone doesn't experience presence in VR, they're still going to experience the most immersive gameplay experience ever available, and the most intuitive and rich simulation interactions so far. VR is a huge leap, even if an individual doesn't experience presence.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think we'll get specs, the kit is already in Developers hands so the time for leaks has gone and we're heading into official numbers.

I just hope I'll be able to buy without the Camera and move sticks (if necessary), as I already have them.

I'd expect so - selling the headset on its own also helps Sony hit a lower headline price (with a higher price for a bundle)

viveks86

Hypothetical question - What if VR does get announced but it costs $1200? I'm coming up with an arbitrarily high number for the sake of a discussion. It still is cutting edge technology and not as main stream as, say a great HDTV. How many of you will buy it? I probably would, but I wonder if I'm in the majority.

Also, what do you think is the ideal price? Please predict with the manufacturing costs in mind. Any sub $200 predictions will promptly receive a virtual slap on the wrist.

StuBurns

Banned
I wouldn't pay $1200, because it would mean it wouldn't sell, which means it wouldn't be supported.

$300, with a game, preferably $250, but I doubt we'll get that lucky.

Hypothetical question - What if VR does get announced but it costs $1200? I'm coming up with an arbitrarily high number for the sake of a discussion. It still is cutting edge technology and not as main stream as, say a great HDTV. How many of you will buy it? I probably would, but I wonder if I'm in the majority.

Also, what do you think is the ideal price? Please predict with the manufacturing costs in mind. Any sub $200 predictions will promptly receive a virtual slap on the wrist.

Anything in the $1000+ range is dead on arrival just like evey other expensive HMD before it.

viveks86

Anyone who really cares about VR knows the Rift is going to be better, and around $300. Sony either meets it or they don't bother trying.

Oh wow! I didn't even know that Rift is targeting $300. Just looked it up. THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING.

Now I'm glad I posted this question!

vpance

Also, what do you think is the ideal price? Please predict with the manufacturing costs in mind. sub $200 predictions will promptly receive a virtual slap on the wrist.

It actually isn't cutting edge technology. That's how a guy working in his garage was able to start a company making these things. It's going to be cheaper then we think. Our predictions of $299 are pretty realistic IMO.

S¡mon

Banned
I wouldn't pay $1200, because it would mean it wouldn't sell, which means it wouldn't be supported.

$300, with a game, preferably $250, but I doubt we'll get that lucky.

1200 is too high. I'd want it to be at least equel to, but preferably less than, the price of the PS4.

Just think about the chameleon simulator in VR. You could have the controller give independent control to each eyeball.
Actually, Anton hinted that he's already tried that, but said that rather than making sense of the input, all his brain managed to do was ache. :p

He did demo controlling the eyes independently using a pair of wands on split-screen though. I've linked a video a few times; maybe even in this thread. I'll re-link when I get home, if no one beats me to it.

iceatcs

VR headset not really too much. Quite simple things to build : -
- LED for light tracking
- Motion-sensing for head movement
- Screen and lens
- Headset

And maybe camera.

viveks86

It actually isn't cutting edge technology. That's how a guy working in his garage was able to start a company making these things. It's going to be cheaper then we think. Our predictions of $299 are pretty realistic IMO.

VR headset not really too much. Quite simple things to build : -
- LED for light tracking
- Motion-sensing for head movement
- Screen and lens
- Headset

And maybe camera.

Any idea what the BOQ is for these components? I'm clearly very LTTP here.

Actually, Anton hinted that he's already tried that, but said that rather than making sense of the input, all his brain managed to do was ache. :p

He did demo controlling the eyes independently using a pair of wands on split-screen though. I've linked a video a few times; maybe even in this thread. I'll re-link when I get home, if no one beats me to it.

I may have seen the split screen thing if that was in the old demos. But I'm sure your brain would get used to it after a few days solid use.

StuBurns

Banned
At the volumes Sony can produce them, and the cost of mass produced cell phone panels, they can build consumer grade VR for a very reasonable cost. They'll have targeted a price and worked backwards though, so it's whatever they intend it to cost, could be $200, could be $300.

iceatcs

Bill of quantities?

Well, most of them are existing products - LED, smartphone screen and motion-sensing from Move controller.
All it have to do moulding lens and headset and assemble the parts together.

It might not big bill at all.

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah. Clearly, if Rift is targeting $300, the parts shouldn't cost much at all. I'm quite surprised at this point. I had no idea this was going to be so affordable. Hype is rising!
Yeah, the reason Sony's HMDs are so expensive is they have micro-displays, which are expensive to produce, and they require much more expensive optics arrays to produce the focus needed to view them.

VR headsets like the Rift are using cheap cell phone panels, cheap optics, and a process called barrel distortion to counteract the cheap optics. Basically, you stretch the image when rendering, so it's not stretched using simple optics.

You could make a much nicer VR headset if you spent a lot more on it, but yeah, Sony will be targeting Rift like prices.

An interesting note, Sony shipped a VR headset on PS2, which was $500.
PUDJ5_A_26_09_02.jpg

Glad its not just me lol, though gives me hope that i will find it easy to experience 'presence'. Cant wait till i can finally get a go on some vr tech

I'm sure you will love it. I've not heard it referred to as 'presence' before, but the sensation when wearing a Rift of actually being high up / ascending / descending is what makes VR a really special experience imo. It's a completely new sensation in gaming, and I'm really excited to see what Sony bring to the table at GDC.

StuBurns

Banned
If you're short sighted, I don't think you'd need glasses with VR because Infinity focus is presented an inch from your eye.

Shu might not need glasses when using VR.

bj00rn_

Banned
I really hope this thing works fine with glasses.

The Rift devkit came with a few different lense-variations that worked relatively well for me without glasses even though I have astigmatism. I have no idea how Sony and OR will tackle this in their consumer versions but since so many people are using glasses I am sure they have a solution for it.

Bsigg12

If it's announced this week, I don't expect until next year. Sony is in no need to have a peripheral to try and drive sales and unless they already have it in the hands of devs, which I doubt since it's being announced at GDC, they won't have enough experiences designed to support it this fall.

I really would like to see a device with a reasonable price that has a low latency display and headtracking to try and eliminate any potential sickness inducing issues. From there, give me 5-6 games at the devices launch that fully take advantage if it but showcase different uses.

The Rift right now benefits from being on PC and not tied to a closed console. Sure indies are more of a focus this gen, but with the Rift people are able to inject solutions into existing games and freely develop around it. Sony needs to have a pretty significant collection ready or have tiny library for owners to choose from.

viveks86

Yeah, the reason Sony's HMDs are so expensive is they have micro-displays, which are expensive to produce, and they require much more expensive optics arrays to produce the focus needed to view them.

VR headsets like the Rift are using cheap cell phone panels, cheap optics, and a process called barrel distortion to counteract the cheap optics. Basically, you stretch the image when rendering, so it's not stretched using simple optics.

You could make a much nicer VR headset if you spent a lot more on it, but yeah, Sony will be targeting Rift like prices.

An interesting note, Sony shipped a VR headset on PS2, which was $500.
PUDJ5_A_26_09_02.jpg

Thanks for the details!

doemaaan

All this talk about having a $300 minimum price point and I never asked why or how. If you break down the VR device and what comes with it, how exactly does it add up to 300? The screen, move tech, ps eye?

If it's announced this week, I don't expect until next year. Sony is in no need to have a peripheral to try and drive sales and unless they already have it in the hands of devs, which I doubt since it's being announced at GDC, they won't have enough experiences designed to support it this fall.
DemonNite hinted a while back that it's already in the hands of "the best" 3rd party developers. How many? Hard to say, but I'd guess it's "enough to launch with," plus maybe a couple extra for insurance.

Bsigg12

DemonNite hinted a while back that it's already in the hands of "the best" 3rd party developers. How many? Hard to say, but I'd guess it's "enough to launch with," plus maybe a couple extra for insurance.

If they can get 4-6 experiences that are different enough and not just first person shooters, then it could be ok. I would just prefer a consistent flow of of games for it post launch and not run through a drought like consoles do after their launch. I mean I could always wait for a library to build but I think being an early adopter of the tech is what I would end up doing.

Shadders

Given that it's Sony, if they actually want to compete and sell these things, there's no reason at all for it to cost more than OR. Sony have the manufacture and distribution network in place to make a device like this, Oculus have to rely on - and pay for - third parties to do all of that for them.

Also, Sony can obviously absorb early losses and sell them at a loss if they want to.

Bradf50

Just spotted this. He's a Driveclub dev I think. Maybe they will show some new gameplay with the VR headset? Wasn't there a rumour going around about Driveclub doing something with VR?

Or maybe I jumped the gun. Either way I'm looking forward to this week.

ScreenShot2014-03-17at000150_zps9bd9b8dd.png

Top Bottom