• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

maybe somebody should make one of those picture timers? in usual countdown threads...I forget what they are called.

Like this?
t1395189900z4.png

Ocaso

Also, assuming they include a splitter to prevent you needing to constantly swap cables, people will be able to spectate on the TV, and if you have a 3DTV, they'll be able to do so in 3D. ^^

Hadn't thought of that, though if this distorts the image a la Oculus Rift, the 3D coming from the TV won't be very useful to the spectators.

The difference is 3D was forced upon us. Almost no one asked for it.
With VR, there's actually a demand from consumers.

I wanted high quality 3D to become popular to arrive in homes since I first saw Captain EO at Epcot as a wee lad. It sure took long enough. A shame it almost certainly won't live long enough for autostereoscopy to finally make the glasses go away.

3-D is a cheap gimmick to force children to get their parents to plop down an extra $10 at the movie theater to see the latest Pixar film. I bought a 3-D TV years ago, and while the picture looks great, I almost never use the 3-D feature, because it's only good for watching movies.

I feel the main deciding factors on whether VR will have legs depends on two things: Content and Usability.

3D is the natural way most of us perceive the world. Usability and content is exactly what drove people away, not it being a gimmick. I've said it a myriad of times, but climbing a Colossus in 3D is a vertigo inducing experience that 2D can't even begin to compare to.

True, VR is more or less the next step in enhancing that experience, but the same usability and content issues threaten to derail it as well. Most people don't like strapping things to their face, period.

I have such an awful taste in my mouth after PlayStation Move and Kinect.

Seriously - why rock the boat with additional peripherals?

I'm still going to buy the fucking thing...

jett

D-Member
It's gonna be all about price for this sunnavabitch. I wonder exactly how are they going to deliver a quality VR headset at an affordable price that won't end up cannibalizing their HMZ line.

StuBurns

Banned
It's gonna be all about price for this sunnavabitch. I wonder exactly how are they going to deliver a quality VR headset at an affordable price that won't end up cannibalizing their HMZ line.
They're totally different, their HMD is for watching films, the micro-display and optics provide an IQ consumer VR has no chance of matching.

jett

D-Member
They're totally different, their HMD is for watching films, the micro-display and optics provide an IQ consumer VR has no chance of matching.

Eh, the end result for their HMZ display is just 720p. If the PS4VR is supposed to match Crystal Cove, then it's effective resolution must be 960x1080. I know resolution isn't the end all, before you point it out, but whether the IQ is lower or not, if the PS4 VR ends up costing in the $300 neighborhood it's going to make that thing irrelevant.

StuBurns

Banned
Eh, the end result for their HMZ display is just 720p. If the PS4VR is supposed to match Crystal Cove, then it's effective resolution must be 960x1080. I know resolution isn't the end all, before you point it out, but whether the IQ is lower or not, if the PS4 VR ends up costing in the $300 neighborhood it's going to make that thing irrelevant.
IQ is a lot more than resolution, the cheap optics cause considerable distortion. It's not going to be a substitute for a HMD for cinephiles.

iceatcs

HMZ so cost likely because of the 2 tiny screens which is 2,098 dpi over 0.7"
Cute fucking tiny - that's 720p in 1.8 cm.

Josman

The Avegant Glyph will probably eat the HMZ alive, I'd say it's a lost cause and Sony should focus on it's VR headset.

A virtual theater for watching Netflix and Media would be incredible and easy to do.

StuBurns

Banned
HMZ so cost likely because of the 2 tiny screens which is 2,098 dpi over 0.7"
Cute fucking tiny - that's 720p in 1.8 cm.
Along with the more complex optics to make them visible without egregious distortion artifacts.

Sony have to be using a Rift-like build, it could be two screens, but it will be a cell phone-like panel with cheap single, or at best dual lens optics.

It's fine for VR, because the worst of the distortion is to the extremes of the FoV, it's also oddly natural for gaming because the distortion causes functionally better resolution at the center of the images, where our vision is the most acute.

jett

D-Member
The Avegant Glyph will probably eat the HMZ alive, I'd say it's a lost cause and Sony should focus on it's VR headset.

A virtual theater for watching Netflix and Media would be incredible and easy to do.

That thing looks pretty good, their "Virtual Retina Display" is pretty intriguing. Frankly the HMZ is the usual overpriced Sony shit just because it's Sony.

iceatcs

Along with the more complex optics to make them visible without egregious distortion artifacts.

Sony have to be using a Rift-like build, it could be two screens, but it will be a cell phone-like panel with cheap single, or at best dual lens optics.

It's fine for VR, because the worst of the distortion is to the extremes of the FoV, it's also oddly natural for gaming because the distortion causes functionally better resolution at the center of the images, where our vision is the most acute.

Oh yeah the complex optics too. Esp DSLR lenses are so expensive.

Lemondish

Pretty appreciative of your comments here. This stuff is absolutely fascinating.

Cheers, mate.

IF this thing is under $200 my life outside of my room is officially over...let the hype commence!

Ive been sitting at home dying, waiting for my local retailer to send me an email that my PS4 is in stock lol

iceatcs

If you curious what difference between HMZ and Rift DK1. I photoshop based on my experience.
HMZvsRift_zps85027ef2.jpg

[Forgot to add screen grid on Rift :p ]

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I suspect the reason why this won't be live streamed is because VR doesn't really showcase well unless you're experiencing it in person. Though, some of the reactions of users are great. Would make for a great marketing campaign if they just showed various people putting on the VR and their reactions, in a slick iPhone sort of way.

Alex Evans from Media Molecule being there gives me great hope. Why would he show up if he didnt have anything to show?

I expect we will get at least the following:

1) Official promotional material/trailer showcasing the hardware
2) Some game reveals (DriveClub, Media Molecule, and/or Zindagi Games)
3) Hands on impressions from the press

War Eagle

I suspect the reason why this won't be live streamed is because VR doesn't really showcase well unless you're experiencing it in person. Though, some of the reactions of users are great. Would make for a great marketing campaign if they just showed various people putting on the VR and their reactions, in a slick iPhone sort of way.

Alex Evans from Media Molecule being there gives me great hope. Why would he show up if he didnt have anything to show?

I expect we will get at least the following:

1) Official promotional material/trailer showcasing the hardware
2) Some game reveals (DriveClub, Media Molecule, and/or Zindagi Games)
3) Hands on impressions from the press

Throw in the specs and this is all I want, really.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have such an awful taste in my mouth after PlayStation Move and Kinect.

Seriously - why rock the boat with additional peripherals?

I'm still going to buy the fucking thing...
But VR is actually cool.

I'm not sure about you, but the Virtuix Omni looked pretty cool when they showed it off.

virtuix-omni-gif.gif
My first thought was, "It looks like that dude is just slipping around on that thing." Turns out, that's exactly what he's doing.

Anyone know exactly how it functions as a controller? The FAQ is pretty vague, saying only that it "will come with integrated tracking hardware and software," and that "The Omni software provides gesture recognition that translates movements to mouse and key strokes that steer the avatar in the virtual environment." What's the tracking system, exactly?

Anyway, I think I'll be okay with cruising around in my virtual wheelhoverchair, but thanks.

My first thought was, "It looks like that dude is just slipping around on that thing." Turns out, that's exactly what he's doing.

Anyone know exactly how it functions as a controller? The FAQ is pretty vague, saying only that it "will come with integrated tracking hardware and software," and that "The Omni software provides gesture recognition that translates movements to mouse and key strokes that steer the avatar in the virtual environment." What's the tracking system, exactly?

Anyway, I think I'll be okay with cruising around in my virtual wheelhoverchair, but thanks.

The current prototypes use Kinect, but they're instead changing to having a capacitive material as the floor of it so it will know when your feet are on/off it.

Oh, I guess that explains the, "No, you won't need to buy a Kinect," in the FAQ. lol

So it's basically gonna be a big, slippery, multi-touch trackpad? That'll work, I suppose. Still not particularly interested though.

doemaaan

I'm not sure about you, but the Virtuix Omni looked pretty cool when they showed it off.

virtuix-omni-gif.gif

I'm not sure if I'd be interested in playing first person games like this. Try as they might, it still looks too restrictive. Not until we reach the SAO level will I be satisfied.

That being said, this Battlefield 4 demo looked pretty cool, but I think there's some trickery afoot. The gameplay is actually ahead in time of the player. I guess there was a noticeable latency issue and VO just edited the footage to make it look 1:1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTtfAQEeAJI

Shadders

Has there been a source other than EDGE on this?

I worry that the list of names at the conference doesn't match up with the previous rumours. Neither of the people listed as inventors on the patent are there, for example: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/07/ps4-vr-headset-possible-patents-spotted

I wonder if it might be shown to key figures behind closed doors at GDC and get a public unveiling later. We've heard rumours of it supporting Driveclub, but none of the Evo/DC team are listed as being at the conference.

Not trying to rain on parades, just suggesting we keep expectations in check. The two guys at this conference were the key brains behind Move and EyeToy so it could be something related to those.

Stampy

I am most certain that Media Molecule will present something. Alex Evans, Mark Healey (co-founders), Siobhan Reddy (Studio Director), Spaff (PR) are all there, so this is probably a sure thing we will get something new from them.

Top Bottom