• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Virtual Reality on PS4 and Xbone – the real next-gen?

en0s

Neo Member
Every time I hear news about console VR I get scared because in an interview someone from CCP was outright refusing to say that Eve Valkyrie would be released on PC. If it won't release on PC because Sony and MS need to get (inferior) VR exclusives, it's a sad day for all humanity.

I hope it's just timed-exclusive =(

Skeff

Don't they have to start somewhere? Sure they aren't ad powerful as a high end PC, and the screens might not be 4k - so what? Are we suggesting that we shouldn't have any experience until it is perfect?

Well, Trying an inferior product before it's ready can really cause a stigma, I'm sure that if it wasn't for the original kinect having such high promises and such low delivery then the XB1 would be a lot more hyped coming with this new motion control Kinect, rather than an upgrade of the old kinect we know wasn't great.

I really think 1080p 60fps is a must for VR though, without it the experience is certainly compromised.

Paz

If the future of gaming really does become about competing for the best VR then console power differences will start meaning a lot more than they do now, for VR to feel right you need high resolutions and high framerates with two streams for true 3D.

Basically 1080p/60x2 for it to look right and not cause motion sickness.

Datura

Are already on PS3 and would be perfect for a VR device.

Datura on PS3 actually already had it's own experimental VR support, using the Sony HMD and the PSMove for tracking.

headtracking.gif

Check out gaf user TTP's video on it. I like to think it was Sony just testing the waters for future VR endeavors on the PS4.

Acheteedo

I'm going to facepalm through the back of my skull if Microsoft go for a google glass type device rather than proper VR. Sadly it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Alx

I'm going to facepalm through the back of my skull if Microsoft go for a google glass type device rather than proper VR. Sadly it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Well, all the rumors indicate that they are (see the Fortaleza leak). And I don't think it would be a mistake at all. The technology is currently evolving towards applications that work across different platforms, integrate into our everyday life.
Among the new features of the new consoles are multitasking, "pause and resume", second screens/remote play etc. It's all about using your device on the go, giving you the freedom to use different supports, in different conditions. And AR follows that trend, it's only the "third screen" that can be additional to the experience, but won't prevent you from doing other things.
"Proper VR" on the other hand is all about doing a single task with full immersion. You can't easily "pause and resume" a VR game (because you have to take your helmet on and off), you wouldn't do a video chat to see someone wearing a helmet, and running multiple applications would completely defeat the purpose of the technology.

Although they're having a lot of technical elements in common, I think AR and VR are completely different use cases. AR will more easily convince a large audience, while VR is more for the game nuts that would play on multiple screens or have a face tracking device on their PC.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, Trying an inferior product before it's ready can really cause a stigma, I'm sure that if it wasn't for the original kinect having such high promises and such low delivery then the XB1 would be a lot more hyped coming with this new motion control Kinect, rather than an upgrade of the old kinect we know wasn't great.

I really think 1080p 60fps is a must for VR though, without it the experience is certainly compromised.

I agree - I think 1080p single screen split in two, at 60fps would be an acceptable minimum quality. The current dev rift is too low res but still offers a glimpse into just how amazing VR could be. Minecraft is fantastic, and War Thunder has a lot of potential just from flying around (except you can't really see enemies well due to the low resolution)

And I think both Xbox and PS4 could handle that, they'd just have to cut their cloth accordingly with a tad less glitz per pixel.

Top Bottom