• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Dreavus

I'm hoping for a return to the form of the first two paper mario games, and I didn't even think Sticker star was that bad – it just had some weird choices like mandatory "boss stickers" where you had to use the right item or you lose the fight – and a generally oversimplified battle system.

TTYD is one of my favourite games.

Mory Dunz

Sticker Star is really nowhere near as bad as a lot of you guys make it out to be. It's the worst paper mario sure, and it's definitely not what a lot of fans wanted from the series, but it really isn't a bad game

It's likely isn't.

The issue was...you had a JRPG which can hold it's own among the best jrpgs ever imo, and they went and changed the forumla when it wasn't stale.

It's kind of like the Chrono Cross situation. (excpet CC is looked upon much better than PM:SS)

Molemitts

"Paper Mario Wii U"
bZNjJllh.jpg

AdanVC

This is fanart, not a screenshot.
But we could have something like this...

X605vD9.jpg

Goddamn. Sticker star looked incredible on its own. I can't wait to see how they realize the paper aesthetic on Wii U. Man.

Oh man now I'm actually hyped. Hope it looks as good as this! Especially with those sweet paper textures.

Sticker Star is really nowhere near as bad as a lot of you guys make it out to be. It's the worst paper mario sure, and it's definitely not what a lot of fans wanted from the series, but it really isn't a bad game

I dunno, really didn't like those sticker puzzles. Had to google it lots of times because i didn't know when to use, say, a radiator or a candle to melt something.

Cool! I'm excited for this.

Like most others, I thought Sticker Star was fairly disappointing (some neat ideas but ultimately wasn't what I was looking for) so I'm hoping more along the lines of something like 64 or TTYD.

I have no idea what the title of the game will be, but historically for that series, it does not start with M.

It actually seems like a lot of people already know what this is, since I've been getting unsolicited DMs going "Hey, it's _____, right?" It's a really poorly kept secret somehow.
going off recent history does its name and reveal normally follow with "I wish that instead of ______ ____ _______ this was that game that starts with a M"?

X605vD9.jpg

Goddamn. Sticker star looked incredible on its own. I can't wait to see how they realize the paper aesthetic on Wii U. Man.
oh god why is there an original looking shy guy partner there i'm having a panic attack quick someone replace it with nothing

It's likely isn't.

The issue was...you had a JRPG which can hold it's own among the best jrpgs ever imo, and they went and changed the forumla when it wasn't stale.

It's kind of like the Chrono Cross situation. (excpet CC is looked upon much better than PM:SS)

I don't really think the first 2 paper mario's are really among the best jrpgs ever. They're fun and witty, but there are plenty of jrpgs with better stories, better characters, and better gameplay

RK128

But what about Retro Studios??? I thought they had a Wii U game in development too. Why hasn't their game been revealed or announced? Just what the heck is going on with them?

Intelligent Systems working on Paper Mario is cool... but they also could've created a Fire Emblem HD collection or something for Wii U.

Retro, Nintendo EAD (3D Mario), Wario Ware Team, Wii Sports Team, and Nintendo's western partners (Next Level Games, Monster Games, NST) likely all have NX projects in the works and are ready to wrap up production on those games for this fall and next year.

Then again, the NX could come out in 2017 and a lot of the software for the Wii U this year is just not announced yet (not likely the case).

Please be an RPG please be an RPG please be an RPG with a really good story and a wonderful world please please please follow in the footsteps of TTYD pleeeeaaaaaase

SalvaPot

X605vD9.jpg

Yeah, hate aside Sticker Star looked amazing and that engine is ripe for a proper RPG game. Honestly an HD Paper Mario game with proper art direction would look brilliant.

I remember buying Sticker Star for $15 like one month after launch, so I'm hoping it bombed hard enough for Intelligent Systems to seriously consider going back to the style of the first two.

Pretty amazing it's taken this long for a HD Paper Mario. The art style looked incredible on the 3DS- the mind boggles to think how it'd look on the Wii U.

With that said...I'm not a traditionalist by nature, but I'd be delighted if this turns out to be a 64 and TTYD-style RPG, partners, turn-based battles and all. It's been more than a decade, and if you're aiming for the Wii U audience you'd have thought a more hardcore game than SPM or Sticker Star would be just the thing. Fingers crossed!

Black Volt

Neo Member
Man I've been thinking about Paper Mario a ton since AGDQ, I really hope this is a good sequel to TTYD, Super was good but too different to be a proper sequel, and Sticker Star's reputation precedes it.

Nekofrog

Banned
i've been utterly disappointed by paper mario too many times. i'm not getting my hopes up that it'll be another TTYD, so I'll just reserve my interest until reviews and impressions are out. as of now, the series is dead to me.

Akiraptor

If it actually is Paper Mario, I hope it's in the vein of TTYD and nothing like Sticker Star. That's the only Nintendo game I've ever played that I regretted buying.

Meohsix

It won't be good. Nintendo's not wasting any time, money or effort on anything WiiU related at this point.
it'll be Shovelware (like more than half of they're 2015 wiiu releases) to fill the gap until NX comes out.

Mory Dunz

i've been utterly disappointed by paper mario too many times. i'm not getting my hopes up that it'll be another TTYD, so I'll just reserve my interest until reviews and impressions are out. as of now, the series is dead to me.

If the first trailer shows partners, it'll be a good sign.

Been over a decade since partners.

Its been over 10 years since the last Paper Mario, I say its about time

we get the boring ass Animal Crossing announcement soon, don't ya'll worry. Lotta chores you can do in that game, and then a bunch of chores when they announce the new Pikmin.

SalvaPot

I remember buying Sticker Star for $15 like one month after launch, so I'm hoping it bombed hard enough for Intelligent Systems to seriously consider going back to the style of the first two.

It sold decently enough. Better than Paper Mario 64 and close to TTYD if I remember correctly, not counting digital sales

ZeroX03

Banned
If it's another RPG that's great, although the Mario & Luigi series has been very prominent on the gameplay front so they'll need to differentiate.

If it's another Super Paper Mario, that's fine. Game was great.

If it's another Sticker Star... fix everything.

-shadow-

While I agree with this, the thing is that Sticker Star is just a complete and utter disappointment when you consider the very same series has such an amazing game in the form of The Thousand Years Door. Hell even Super Paper Mario, even if it's not an RPG in any way shape or form, it's still a really fun game with all the unique moments in regards to Count Bleck, the Minus One World, the absolutely amazing role Luigi had and let's not forget that it gave us this little image:

SBzZt.jpg

Ansatz

My wallet is ready (unless it's SPM 2.. pls no)

I loved Sticker Star, well except for the specific sticker you needed for dungeon bosses. Although I looked them up before entering a dungeon so it didn't bother me personally but wth where they thinking. I wouldn't mind a 'sticker star 2' in terms of gameplay, but I could do without the stickers based combat system.

Paper Mario, holy crap. Sticker Star was a huge misstep but I will be unbelievably hyped if this is true and it ends up being more in line with the first two games (hell, I'd even be okay with another SPM style game).

I'm currently playing TTYD, so I'm totally down for a Paper Mario U. I've been hoping for one for a couple years now!

Just, please be like the first two!

Molemitts

I'm not gonna get my hopes up for anything good. If you want a good Paper Mario game might I recommend South Park: The Stick of Truth.

X605vD9.jpg

Sheesh that looks great! I know it just fan art but dang!

X605vD9.jpg

Visuals as clear as Sticker Star's boxart are what I'm hoping for:
PaperMarioStickerStar3DSBoxartFinal.jpg

Top Bottom