• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

I was gone for a while did F-Zero get confirmed yet

tumblr_mbya4dvO0S1rxjzkho1_r1_500.gif

Mory Dunz

I don't really think the first 2 paper mario's are really among the best jrpgs ever. They're fun and witty, but there are plenty of jrpgs with better stories, better characters, and better gameplay

agree to disagree I guess. Their metacritics are 93 and 87, which puts it in the vicinity at least critically.

Steejee

Paper Mario U would be awesome.

But I'll pretend it's going to be Mario Party #Whatever just to keep my expectations rock bottom.

(I hate saying that too as I loved the GameCube parties =/)

Mistle

Please be like TTYD
Please be like TTYD
Please be like TTYD

After they almost sticker star'd the M&L games also, my faith is pretty low :(

Neoxon

Not bad, but it should have been saved for the NX Platform. If this is true, I hope it takes more after the first 2 games.

Well... This is probably going to follow the same pattern as the 3DS version, right? Which is to say, be a big dissapointment when we find out the style of game it ends up being.

Those original games were so good...

Piscus

Come to think of it, Paper Jam being homogenized into the "no original characters" state ala Sticker Star doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in this.

Those were two different teams though. Intelligent Systems does Paper Mario (with influence from Nintendo SPD for Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star). AlphaDream does the Mario & Luigi series, and they were the ones that did Paper Jam.

I always wanted Paper Mario Wii U to be about a book that you can edit the contents of.

Change adjectives to change character's moods. Write in events or objects.

Even go into history and write your own explanation for who Waluigi is.

Kind of Mario Wiki the game.

Isotope

How did sticker star do? Badly/mediocre enough that it would be worth making another traditional paper mario?

It's the 2nd best selling game in the series (1st in Japan). Though considering the reaction towards Sticker Star, I h̶o̶p̶e̶think they'll go the PM/TTYD route.

I gotta say I'm bummed at the Super Paper Mario hate. Yes it was a fundamentally different genre and not quire as good as 64 or TTYD, but it was still a Paper Mario game. It had all the things that made Paper Mario great, from fun gameplay to the surprisingly-deep story. Hell, it probably had the best story of the series! If you passed on it just because it was a platformer, I highly recommend going back and giving it a go.

I've never played a Paper Mario game, but this is still a good announcement to me. This is the kind of announcement you're allowed to hype up, game industry. Not something like that sega 3DS collection ffs

or Federation Force

Pls Nintendo just fucking listen for once and create a traditional Paper Mario for a console again.

Super Paper Mario 2: Sticker Star 2

I wish I didn't feel more fear than excitement at this news.

TTYD is still one of my all time favourite games, but after the last 2 games I'm just not able to believe this will be good.

leroidys

Add me to the bunch that loved TTYD and hated PMSS.

Add me to the bunch that puts SS just behind TTYD (which is probably only me).

Really didn't enjoy the first ~5 hours of SPM though, and apparently it only gets worse. Maybe when/if this gets announced I'll actually go back and finish it...

Delio

Paper Mario? *Does a dance* Really happy and cant wait to see what it is. PLEASE be a proper rpg with partners thanks.

How did sticker star do? Badly/mediocre enough that it would be worth making another traditional paper mario?

It's the best selling game in the series but discussion for it was dominated by complaints about the change in direction and IS was apparently kind of mandated to make the game the way it was so I don't think they'll try to repeat it.

gordy

Neo Member
Am I getting my hopes up that Square might be back in the mix? I mean there was the Geno Mii costume in Smash and playable Cloud. I'd be down for Paper Mallow.

So this is going to be a real RPG from the true Paper Mario team at IntSys that have been working on it since TTYD and the last two have been from a side team? Right?

Oh wait this actually is Paper Mario? I thought people were just joking/speculating.

More PM64 and Thousand Year Door, less Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star. I'm assuming since it's a Wii U game they're not really in a position to dumb things down for an audience that doesn't even own a Wii U in the first place, so we're probably safe from it winding up like SS again. SPM still had a ton of its own issues though.

Weird Next Level's making it if this is true, but thinking about it I maybe trust them with their recent track record more than I trust Intelligent Systems.

It's the best selling game in the series but discussion for it was dominated by complaints about the change in direction and IS was apparently kind of mandated to make the game the way it was so I don't think they'll try to repeat it.
That's assuming the whole reason Paper Mario U was green lit in the first place wasn't Miyamoto looking at the GamePad and saying "People would want to fold paper and place stickers on this!"

Top Bottom