• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Mory Dunz

Do you not remember the initial screenshots for "Paper Mario 3DS"?
Oh, I do... (They had partners in them)

paper-mario-3ds-gameplay-screenshots-revealed.jpg

RK128

Sticker Star reveal had partners, was apparently in its "TTYD" state before higher ups got their hands on it.

Considering how late this game is getting announced in the Wii U's life cycle (and likely releasing this summer or latter in the year), I would imagine seeing partners in the trailer would indicate that the game will have them in the final version; six months isn't enough time to completely rework a game.

Looking forward to the trailer for this as it will indicate what game this is. After the toxic reactions to Federation Force, Nintendo has to be careful with future announcements going forward.

rardk64

They could not be allowed to state what kind of Paper Mario game it is but you are most likely right; original new game for the Wii U.

Would of honestly preferred a remaster of TTYD with HD visuals and GamePad support honestly.

How do you know you'd prefer that though? This could finally be the game that succeeds TTYD and even surpasses it! I don't have super high hopes for that, but I do at least hope they return to true RPG form and drop pretty much everything that happened in Sticker Star.

I have to think that Sticker Star was the way it was for the same reason Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon was more mission-based - it was on a handheld. Sticker Star being simplified the way it was probably had something to do with making handheld games simpler because they're "on the go".

(I don't know that it even makes sense, considering Sticker Star still had levels that took some time to go through and had really silly back-tracking...but I won't go into that game's problems here.)

Sponge

Banned
If it's anything like Sticker Star then I have no interest. Wasn't a fan of what Alpha Dream was doing with Paper Jam, either. My hopes are low but hoping that Intelligent Systems delivers.

Mistle

I know. And if there's no partners in the Wii U reveal, there's no point in holding at hope or anything.
I'm just saying, even if there are partners in the reveal it's not a sure thing :p

Edit: but yeah as RK128 said this game seems much further in development if it's coming out soon

atbigelow

This would be fantastic if they cranked the art style up like that fan image or the Sticker Star boxart.

Also hoping for a return to RPG greatness.

leroidys

I'm just saying, even if there are partners in the reveal it's not a sure thing :p

Apparently the partners in the SS reveal weren't even player controlled, but NPCs that follow and fought with you at certain points in the story (chain chomp was cut outright, but the wiggler section is still in the final game).

rardk64

Considering how late this game is getting announced in the Wii U's life cycle (and likely releasing this summer or latter in the year), I would imagine seeing partners in the trailer would indicate that the game will have them in the final version; six months isn't enough time to completely rework a game.

That, and the rumour includes that they're already testing/localizing. So I think whatever we do see will be final.

That they're already testing/localizing makes me think it might be a remaster rather than a completely new game, but I hope that's not the case...

Looking forward to the trailer for this as it will indicate what game this is. After the toxic reactions to Federation Force, Nintendo has to be careful with future announcements going forward.

The reaction to Federation Force was embarrassing. Let's hope that never happens again.

RK128

How do you know you'd prefer that though? This could finally be the game that succeeds TTYD and even surpasses it! I don't have super high hopes for that, but I do at least hope they return to true RPG form and drop pretty much everything that happened in Sticker Star.

I have to think that Sticker Star was the way it was for the same reason Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon was more mission-based - it was on a handheld. Sticker Star being simplified the way it was probably had something to do with making handheld games simpler because they're "on the go".

(I don't know that it even makes sense, considering Sticker Star still had levels that took some time to go through and had really silly back-tracking...but I won't go into that game's problems here.)

Just the safer and cheaper option for Intelligent Systems I feel honestly; they could focus effort on getting the NX project up and running all the while giving fans of traditional Paper Mario games (original and TTYD) something to play and make them happy. More or less slowly repairing the damage done with prior games in the series.

Very open to a great Paper Mario game from IS and if the game is great, returning to the TTYD formula, that would be awesome :D!

Just not expecting anything out of Nintendo honestly.

WillyFive

Paper Mario Sticker Star and the new Mario and Luigi game showed that what they think of Paper Mario is not what made the older games great.

Not getting excited until I know what it is.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I would suspect it's a remaster, otherwise it's not just Intellligent Systems developing the game. Vanpool and others would be on the bill.

Oh excellent, certainly looking forward to this.

I honestly really enjoyed sticker star and super paper mario, but did prefer the first two entries. Really, i kind of hope they try something new again.

RK128

on paper, sounds pretty good.

Ah ;). Good one man :).

To be serious, if this Paper Mario is a good game, Nintendo has a title that neatly wraps up the Wii U line up this year:
-Twilight Princess HD
-Pokken
-Star Fox Zero
-Mario & Sonic
-Pikmin 4 (Cross-Gen)
-Paper Mario
-#FE
-Legend of Zelda Wii U (Cross-Gen)

The following games would be a killer year for the Wii U and should make most people happy.

Neoxon

Übermatik;193006713 said:
Hope not. Last thing Nintendo need for their new hardware is a launch window last-gen port.
It was likely gonna happen either way with Zelda (if they go the TP route) & possibly Smash 4 (since Sakurai is gonna be busy for a while with another project).

Joqu

I'm gonna hope for TTYD style but Sticker Star did really well didn't it? I hope they at least think the U audience would probably be better suited for a more traditional one.

I do think it'd make sense the split handheld and console entries that way

Nairume

Banned
I would suspect it's a remaster, otherwise it's not just Intellligent Systems developing the game. Vanpool and others would be on the bill.
If it were a remaster, the leak would almost certainly state as much.

People know what TTYD (the only game that'd even make sense to remaster) is, so it's not like testers would think they were playing something new.

Sponge

Banned
Why are people talking about Paper Jam, last time I checked Intelligent System wasn't called AlphaDream...

Paper Jam is a crossover of Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi which, surprise, had similar issues to Sticker Star and also pulled most of the Paper Mario content from that game.

Lol so much hope, it'll probably be like Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star. Accept that TTYD-styled paper mario is dead and move on :/

Doctre81

Oh god, imagine if both this *and* Zelda are Wii U exclusives. The sheer, hilarious stupidity.

That would actually be a good thing. A game with an artstyle like paper mario going cross plat is not gonna make people buy an NX for it. NX needs it's OWN Zelda and it's OWN games at launch that take advantage of the hardware. Not a bunch of uprezed WiiU games that give the impression that the system isn't as powerful as it really is. The NX needs to distance itself from WiiU if it wants to be a success.
And honestly not having ports of WiiU games is a right step in that direction.

Lol so much hope, it'll probably be like Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star. Accept that TTYD-styled paper mario is dead and move on :/

If they followup Sticker Star with Sticker Star 2, I'm done with this series.

But if it's like Super Paper Mario? That'll be somewhat disappointing, but at least the gameplay would be better than Sticker Star, and hopefully this would mean a good story and interesting world.

Joqu

Super is a completely different style from Sticker though. Very writing heavy. I get your concern mind you but I do think these two are on completely different sides of the spectrum.

Top Bottom