• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Neoxon

It's probably either a cross-gen title with the NX Platform or a lower-budget game that Nintendo whipped up in a flash. If it's Pikmin 4, I'd be shocked if it wasn't cross-gen.

Not Pikmin 4 when she says, "We have about 4-5 sources that this unannounced Wii U game exists."

I have one source that that games exists - his name is Miyamoto.

Blobbers

As with most of these "stay tuned for the next 2-3 days" things, it's probably nothing very interesting. Same thing happened with the recent Sega thread that turned out to be a 3D classics game. Definitely expecting no megatons, nor anything that will really shake the forums.

Vena

Maybe Pikmin 4 isn't an NX title then, and Nintendo isn't as finished with Wii U as we've been lead to believe.

Oh they're finished, but Iwata did promise to not end-of-Wii the console and support it to the end, this may just be them doing right by their words (and their fans).

Some games in the pipeline may just be deemed "good for the fans" and also not hugely impacting on the financials, and be left on the WiiU or get cross-genned.

Last Story 2 or Sin and Punishment 3?!?!
They have fans
wirXNSF.gif

Pikma

Banned
Can't remember the last time something good came out of an anouncement of a rumored anouncement, especially coming from Emily

So eh, who cares.

This is genius, imagine it's a Metroid game and it sells like shit because it's on the Wii U so Nintendo says "The Metroid franchise is not successful for us anymore" so they officially kill the franchise off and Nintendo comes out unscathed. Incredible.

No Pikmin 4 if it's unannounced...

Maybe something like Mario Strikers? or maybe a new Wario land / Wario Ware game afterall?

depward

Has to be Animal Crossing.

Think about it:

1. amiibo card implementation
  2. actual amiibo implementation
  3. amiibo Festival already has most (if not all) of the characters
  4. Animal Crossing Plaza has had HD assets for a long time

To me, it's a no-brainer.

I'd even suggest an e3 announcement to a Nov / Dec release for it.

I have no idea why it's being held for a few days. Maybe to sure up sources. Since I wasn't the one with the initial inquiry, I'll respect the self-imposed embargo.

Also I won't sit here and tease because that's dumb.

Why are people so quick to write off the Wii U as dead when nothing has been announced of set in stone yet? NX could be off the table till 2017... I'm sure Nintendo will announce at least a couple more big titles on Wii U.

I'm willing to bet its a traditional Kirby game. Though hal aleady gave us Rainbow Curse, I can see them putting our another traditional one on Wii U. If we can get Kirby, Star Fox, and Zelda all this year and have them all be great entries I think the Wii U will have a solid year honestly.

Actual guess: A traditional Animal Crossing game

Actual guess #2: A Wario minigame collection or platformer

Alternate, somewhat farfetched possibility: Super Mario Galaxy 3

Wild card surprise possibility: A new 2D Metroid

My personal hope that isn't going to happen: Pokemon Snap U

kadotsu

Banned
They still need their Animal Crossing on WiiU. Amiibo Festival was probably a quickly forked project that used some of the actual assets.

As always the game is already delayed to the extremely successful NX device.

RK128

Most likely bets for this are it being one of the following:
-New Donkey Kong Game; 2D or 3D platformer/Diddy Kong Racing 2
-HD Remaster of a Mario Series game (Sunshine, TTYD, Luigi's Mansion)
-Pikmin 4
-Eternal Darkness HD
-F-Zero GX HD

Edit: Also willing to bet a new Animal Crossing and Kirby game might be on the table for Wii U, mainly if the NX is coming out in 2017.

EulaCapra

Oh god. If they're spilling the beans, it's probably something minor like a shameless Amiibo cash grab like Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival but maybe this time with Kirby.

Neoxon

Well yeah, but that's because most Nintendo platforms don't die in their fourth year.

Compare Wii's 2010 to Wii U's 2016. Or even GCN's 2004.
Except there's a good number of signs pointing towards the end of the Wii U & the 3DS this year, at least as far as major support from Nintendo goes. I'm fully expecting Zelda U & Pokémon Z to be the send-off titles for the Wii U & the 3DS respectively.

AdanVC

If you really want to know what game would be, just think about your favorite Nintendo franchise that desserves a comeback or a sequel and then just imagine a weird spin-off game of that franchise that nobody asked for and that would be the game they will announce since that's the only reasonable types of games they could still bring to Wii U at this point. So yeah expectations pretty low over here.

Zukkoyaki

"It's a franchise that has fans" is hilariously nonchalant. Not the best way to say it's something people would care about.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
We need to maximise our hits so we're going to let the word of mouth build until Monday.

I'm (fairly) sure all three people involved don't do this stuff as a full-time job and want to review everything they have before laying it out. It's not like they're begging for followers. Let's not perceive everything with cynicism.

Top Bottom