• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

I want this to be Paper Mario, but...

If these people heard about it and they have multiple sources, then I'm going to assume that it's in development at one of the Western studios Nintendo works with. There was a rumor a while ago that Next Level games has more than Federation Force in development; specifically, that they were making a Wii U game. Maybe it's that. What would they work on? A new Punch-Out? Another Mario Strikers? The triumphant return of Ice Hockey (which would be a perfect use a ton of amiibo thing)?

MrV4ltor

Most likely bets for this are it being one of the following:
-New Donkey Kong Game; 2D or 3D platformer/Diddy Kong Racing 2
-HD Remaster of a Mario Series game (Sunshine, TTYD, Luigi's Mansion)
-Pikmin 4
-Eternal Darkness HD
-F-Zero GX HD

+ Paper Mario

Dee Dee

So...whatever happened to that rumored Paper Mario Wii U game?

I'd rather have Amiibo Land, a re-working of Nintendo Land, but with AMIIBO

An Amiitomo tie-in! Calling amiibo/mobile crossover shenanigans now! For kids! Especially girls! Ha! Dress your amiibo mobile app!
Scan an amiibo, dress them up, then carry them around on your phone.

Get your it's fucking nothing-gifs ready everyone!!

The most wonderful thing about this is, that when it turns out to be some weird Nintendo stuff on monday, people are going to outraged at Nintendo (!) for hyping (!) this up, just like last time with the Minecraft announcement.

I am getting my popcorn (Germans eat their popcorn sweet, not salty).

Except there's a good number of signs pointing towards the end of the Wii U & the 3DS this year, at least as far as major support from Nintendo goes. I'm fully expecting Zelda U & Pokémon Z to be the send-off titles for the Wii U & the 3DS respectively.

...exactly.

The Wii U will be dead by the end of its fourth year. Like I said.

Kouichi

Very odd to tease it like that and then create an embargo on it. Ah well, curious to see what it is.

Animal Crossing seems reasonable.

I'm still waiting for Shovel Knight in Smash.

Yeah, Tamaki's kinda hit-and-miss when it comes to news (esp with that recent NX debacle from a couple days ago). I feel like he's better with cancelled/beta games, but w/e. If Emily Rogers and ShockingAlberto are backing this it's probably got merit.

I don't think it's much though. I doubt there are many huge or E3-level megatons left for the Wii U. Probably just something fairly inoffensive without being overly ambitious.

I'm putting my money on a Kirby game of some sort, maybe a Pokemon spinoff.

I'm (fairly) sure all three people involved don't do this stuff as a full-time job and want to review everything they have before laying it out. It's not like they're begging for followers. Let's not perceive everything with cynicism.

Not to mention Emily has a private twitter.... which makes no sense if she just wants followers.

Ōkami

A proper Animal Crossing game for WiiU would be way to costly and time consuming for it to be wasted on Wii U, really don't expect that.

Expect a very small, not important game, something like Game & Warioer or Wii Fit U2.

Wouldn't be surprised if they'll talk about a game that was cancelled either.

Crayolan

Not a lost game. Not a game stuck in limbo. Not an eshop only game. Not an indie game. Not third party.

It's a franchise that has fans.

So it's an HD remaster/collection or a spin off.

A main series game for a major franchise still left unannounced would be a very pleasant surprise.

I respect Emily for trying to double-check sources and make sure that the information's good, but she shouldn't have announced it until she's actually sure and ready to go.

I'm erring on this being their new game/new IP that Liam leaked a while back.

Wouldn't it make more sense to hold a new IP back for NX though? Given the Wii U's current situation, I don't think it makes sense to release any new properties on the thing anymore.

Neoxon

We need to think franchises that could have something whipped up quickly that wouldn't be better saved for the NX Platform. I'm kinda lost for ideas besides Pikmin 4, which I expect to be cross-gen. An Amiibo game, perhaps?

NoKisum

Just like the mystery Sega announcement recently, I might as well fall hard.

Golden Sun 4
Rhythm Heaven
Wario Ware
Paper Mario
Kirby
Animal Crossing
Metroid

Anth0ny

I respect Emily for trying to double-check sources and make sure that the information's good, but she shouldn't have announced it until she's actually sure and ready to go.

but then we wouldn't have a 30 page neogaf thread hyping this "announcement" up to the heavens and being disappointed when it isn't metroid prime 4

maxcriden

Kid Icarus Uprising HD.

I think this would be super cool but I still am not convinced it will ever happen. I understand translating the controls to dual stick analog would be useful but I also think it would decrease precision vs. what you can get with the stylus. If you could still use the stylus for the Wii U version, it would defeat the purpose of remastering the game since you'd be looking at the GamePad so much. It's also hard to see how you'd be able to appreciate the ongoing story as well if you had to look all the way down at the GamePad to all the facial expressions of the characters that were normally on the lower 3DS screen.

No idea how I'll feel if it's a proper, fully-fledged Animal Crossing for Wii U.

On the one hand, I'll be delighted as I've wanted a proper console Animal Crossing since my first outing with the series, New Leaf on 3DS, and is more or less why I kept my Wii U beyond Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

On the other, I feel the boat has passed for Animal Crossing on Wii U. If Nintendo hadn't shanked me with the way they announced Amiibo Festival at the E3 Digital Event, making it look like at last we were going to get something, I would be full on jumping on the roof at the fact we're getting an Animal Crossing on Wii U.

Plus, Wii U is officially in its end-of-cycle pattern, albeit at the start of it at least. For me, I've now for the most part moved onto waiting for a proper AC on NX.

TL;DR - Why did you break my heart at E3, Nintendo? You had the perfect opportunity and you just stabbed me in the heart instead and now it's best if I probably just waiting for Animal Crossing on NX.

RK128

So it's an HD remaster/collection or a spin off.

A main series game for a major franchise still left unannounced would be a very pleasant surprise.

I could see what you listed happen, but I wonder what the HD remaster(s) could be :l.

I am willing to bet that some GC title (Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario TTYD, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness) is getting an HD port for Wii U this summer to help with the software drought for the system prior to the NX's launch.

F-Zero GX, Paper Mario or Eternal Darkness would be very welcomed as they are titles many people want on Wii U and in the case of F-Zero and ED, both are games people wanted to see again for a good decade.

Top Bottom