• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Twentieth

Paper Mario Wii U might not be like TTYD and we might never get an HD remaster, but here's a HD texture pack for TTYD on Dolphin. Here's a guide listing settings that improve performance.

21S21yv.png
GAq16kS.png

Please be good. One last good game for the Wii U, please! At the very least it should have amazing music like Sticker Star, but that's about the last similarity with that game that I want.

Seeing them play it safe with another paper mario seems so pointless at this stage in the Wii U's game. This console tanking should at least be an excuse to try a bunch of weird, interesting stuff. What have they got to lose?

Ansatz

Wii U is a failure and NX will need every bit of first-party support it can possibly get to even have a chance of success in the current market. Seems like a pretty clear case of misplaced priorities, even if it makes current Wii U owners happy.

But that's about all I have to say about that. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

NX is a handheld too, so reading your posts is very confusing.

Plus we don't know to what extent they'll merge the two software libraries, because it seems very unlikely they'll treat the home console and handheld as two different platforms as with Wii U and 3DS.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
The release line up could be like this:
-Twilight Princess HD: March 4th
-Pokken: March 14th
-Star Fox Zero: April 22nd
-Mini Mario & Friends Amiibo Game: May
-Mario & Sonic: May/June
-Paper Mario: July
-E Shop Nintendo Published/Developed Game: July/August
-Punch-Out 2/Mario Strikers U (Next Level Games Wii U Rumored Project): August
-#FE: August/September
-Legend of Zelda Wii U (Cross-Gen): Novermber
-Pikmin 4: December

Pikmin 4 can't be December.

Velcro Fly

2016 is starting to look better for the Wii U.

I like the idea of just stealth announcing a game and having it come out in a matter of months instead of announcing something and then taking years to give any more info out.

Also wondering if we get a Paper Mario line of amiibo.

Also please have Paper Koopalings

Seeing them play it safe with another paper mario seems so pointless at this stage in the Wii U's game. This console tanking should at least be an excuse to try a bunch of weird, interesting stuff. What have they got to lose?

A Paper Mario more like Thousand Year Door would be interesting. They haven't done one of those since Thousand Year Door.

Kinsei

Banned
2016 is starting to look better for the Wii U.

I like the idea of just stealth announcing a game and having it come out in a matter of months instead of announcing something and then taking years to give any more info out.

It also helps keep expectations in check. People were so hyped for the return to form that Paper Mario 3DS was meant to be before it turned into what we know as Sticker Star thanks to that first trailer. Now we'll know what the final game will be like from the first trailer.

Joqu

I really hope it isn't Amiibo-centric, though I wouldn't mind extras you can get with the Amiibos.

I'd love to see paperized versions of Nintendo characters somehow. I'm not sure how you could tie that in as an amiibo bonus in an elegant manner though.

My hope for the release lineup (copying RK128's somewhat):

-PiCOPiCT 3D: June
-Picross 3D 2: August
-Wario Land: August
-Rhythm Heaven Plus: September
-Fire Emblem: Radiance Collection: September
-Punch-Out!! 2: October
-Legend of Zelda Wii U (Cross-Gen): November

maxcriden

Please be good. One last good game for the Wii U, please! At the very least it should have amazing music like Sticker Star, but that's about the last similarity with that game that I want.

However we may disagree about the gameplay quality of that game, I'm glad you're able to enjoy the OST at least. It really is woefully under-appreciated. 😊

Lunar15

Here's some potential titles:

• Paper Mario 3D World: Maybe Wigglers Are Too Weird?
  • Kinda Paper Mario: Let's Not Get Carried Away With The Paper Thing Here
  • Regular Mario: Look, Paper Was Just A Bit Too Creative For All Of You
  • Mario: Mario Never Leaves His House And He Definitely Doesn't Have An Adventure
  • Mario and his Friends: Luigi, Peach, A Toad or Two Wait Who The Fuck Is Waluigi I Didn't Approve This
  • Mario's Rug: This Is About The Level of Interaction We're Willing To Allow
  • NOT Mario's Rug: We Realized People Will Probably Make Fan Art Of That Rug And That Definitely Cannot Be Allowed To Happen HD

Mory Dunz

um, money?

"our current console is dead, so let's go crazy" isn't a great business plan.

And if they are trying something different, then it'd be better to do a Splatoon and put some weight behind it. Again, which would take a lot of money.

RK128

My hope for the release lineup (copying RK128's):

-PiCOPiCT 3D: June
-Picross 3D 2: August
-Wario Land: August
-Rhythm Heaven Plus: September
-Fire Emblem: Radiance Collection: September
-Punch-Out!! 2: October
-Legend of Zelda Wii U (Cross-Gen): November

I didn't know a Wario Land was in the works......or is that something you hope to happen? i could see it being handheld by the NSMB team but who knows.

Picross 3D 2, Rhythm Heaven Plus and Pikmin are all bound to happen this year :).

Was is rumored that the Wii U is getting a FE collection? Never heard of that before.....that sounds nice honestly :D.

Neoxon

My hope for the release lineup (copying RK128's):

• PiCOPiCT 3D: June
  • Paper Mario: July
  • Picross 3D 2: August
  • Rhythm Heaven Plus: September
  • Punch-Out!! 2: October
  • Pokémon Z: October
  • Legend of Zelda Wii U (Cross-Gen): November
  • Pikmin 4 (Cross-Gen): December
I still think Punch-Out!!! 2 would be better saved for the NX Platform. But if Nintendo decides to use it on the Wii U, I'd agree with that line-up. It'd be a great way to send off the Wii U & the 3DS. That being said, I had to make 3 edits (which, besides removing Wario Land & the Fire Emblem collection, I bolded).

um, money?

"our current console is dead, so let's go crazy" isn't a great business plan.

And if they are trying something different, then it'd be better to do a Splatoon and put some weight behind it. Again, which would take a lot of money.

But what will it accomplish to not go crazy at the end? In the end, Paper Mario is either going to sell on the Wii U or not, and it won't be changed if they play to the masses.

I didn't know a Wario Land was in the works......or is that something you hope to happen? i could see it being handheld by the NSMB team but who knows.

Picross 3D 2, Rhythm Heaven Plus and Pikmin are all bound to happen this year :).

Was is rumored that the Wii U is getting a FE collection? Never heard of that before.....that sounds nice honestly :D.

Oh my bad, Wario Land and FE collection are just hopes. :p

Paper Wario would be nice because it would have a lot of variant settings that you don't really see in Mario games, even Paper Mario. Also, don't forget Land you monster! Imagine the shit you could have with Wario's status effect power-ups. He could get flattened, filled with helium, set on fire, etc.

Twilight Princess didn't do that great for it though. It was Wii Sports, Wii Fit, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Mario Kart 8.
I don't think that's fair to say at all. I doubt many early adopters of the Wii would have done so for only Wii Sports and Excite Truck. If nobody bought it in the first place who know if the big Wii sports blow up would have even happened? People starting buying Wii's because they played Wii Sports at like a friends house and then bought one themselves.

Mario Kart 8 is on Wii U.

I don't think that's fair to say at all. I doubt many early adopters of the Wii would have done so for only Wii Sports and Excite Truck. If nobody bought it in the first place who know if the big Wii sports blow up would have even happened?

Mario Kart 8 is on Wii U.

People bought the Wii for what it was though

RK128

Oh my bad, Wario Land and FE collection are just hopes. :p

Its cool to hope buddy :).

I could see the NSMB team make a Wario Land for the E-Shop (small scale 2D game for the summer) and Monster Games making the FE Collection (as they are very skilled with HD remasters and porting Wii games to the 3DS).

People bought the Wii for what it was though
After the fact, at which point Twilight Princess had already come out. It's ridiculous to guess about what the Wii would have been like without Twilight Princess at launch, the fact is that it did have it and it worked very well. The Wii was a system that launched with Twilight Princess.

As opposed to Wii U, which didn't.

Its cool to hope buddy :).

I could see the NSMB team make a Wario Land for the E-Shop (small scale 2D game for the summer) and Monster Games making the FE Collection (as they are very skilled with HD remasters and porting Wii games to the 3DS).

I'd be so sad if Wario Land was by the New SMB team :p Put Good-Feel on it, make it a sequel to Shake It! and reuse that game's engine

After the fact, at which point Twilight Princess had already come out. It's ridiculous to guess about what the Wii would have been like without Twilight Princess at launch, the fact is that it did have it and it worked very well.

As opposed to Wii U, which didn't.

For reference, TP only sold about 500,000 in Japan.

udivision

But what will it accomplish to not go crazy at the end? In the end, Paper Mario is either going to sell on the Wii U or not, and it won't be changed if they play to the masses.

Every developer working on a risky "experimental" Wii U game is a dev not helping with the NX launch window/year.

"Go crazy" isn't a good plan for the end of Wii U's life.

Twilight Princess HD news being dropped sort of randomly sort of makes me feel like we won't get one anytime soon tbh. I hope that's not the case.

In the past few days we got:
- a bunch of TP HD news
- release dates and new fighters for Pokken Tournament
- an entire Mario vs Donkey Kong eShop game
- release date and CE for Bravely Second
- release timing for Dragon Quest VII
- new Animal Crossing amiibos

...yeah, definitely no chance of a January direct at this point. Maybe February though. They need to promote FE Fates, Smash Bros DLC, M&S Olympics (3DS), Pokken, Bayo2's reissue, Bravely Second (in Europe), and TP HD among other things before they launch.

RK128

I'd be so sad if Wario Land was by the New SMB team :p Put Good-Feel on it, make it a sequel to Shake It! and reuse that game's engine.

Well, Good-Feel DID finish up Woolly World early last year.......so them putting together a budget release of Wario Land for the E-Shop using Shake It's engine, that would be a great idea :).

Wonderful summer game and one I hope many would love to play :D!

Every developer working on a risky "experimental" Wii U game is a dev not helping with the NX launch window/year.

??? We're talking about a game being made for the Wii U. We're not discussing the merits of its platform choice, we're discussing the fact that a Wii U game at this stage isn't going to make a difference for sales, so they may as well try to do something risky with it.

pirata

Man, I have to buy a Wii U now, don't I? I guess I could wait until they announce whether the NX is backwards-compatible or not...or whether or not this is the real follow-up to TTYD...

I'll try not to get my hopes up.

Lol paper Mario amiibo , could happen

Everyone was saying they wanted more games to utilize amiibos
We cursed ourselves

Might as well save it for NX and give us thousand year door remaster on wii u

RK128

In the past few days we got:
- a bunch of TP HD news
- release dates and new fighters for Pokken Tournament
- an entire Mario vs Donkey Kong eShop game
- release date and CE for Bravely Second
- release timing for Dragon Quest VII
- new Animal Crossing amiibos

...yeah, definitely no chance of a January direct at this point. Maybe February though. They need to promote FE Fates, Smash Bros DLC, M&S Olympics (3DS), Pokken, and TP HD among other things before they launch.

We are getting a direct next month on that date the bolded gets released; a smart way to end or open the direct and something to hype up Wii U/3DS owners with :).

Neoxon

I'd say the same for the 3DS, but Nintendo has more-or-less already backed off from major 3DS support. Granted, there's Game Freak who will likely stick with the 3DS until the bitter end. But Game Freak's usually late to the new platform party, anyway.

Top Bottom