• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Splatoon is a risk, because it's a new IP ?

Splatoon was the result of looking at which genres are currently popular / unrepresented on Nintendo platforms. Having "online TPS" as the starting point, then Nintendofying it (mascot characters, paint instead of bullets so it's kid-friendly, colorful, accessible), come up with a gameplay twist (like how Smash and Kart are not traditional fighting/racing games; the 'main goal' of Splatoon is not fraging) and finally a big marketing push.

It was a calculated risk at best, not like how Nintendogs and Wii Fit are risks.

Designing the next Paper Mario game to be off-the-wall is a calculated risk because it appeases loyal fans.

Lunar15

Literally it was "People are going to think this is Metroid Prime 4 if given the entire weekend."

My understanding is the original intention for waiting was so that a video could be made to accompany it.

So what you're telling me is that Retro Studios is NOT working on Metroid Prime but on Paper Mario instead.

Choomp

Banned
Uhhh.... Yay? Just holding out for the chance it's more in the spirit of the 64 game and TTYD rather than SS/PJ plus whatever amiibo stuff they wanna shove in

udivision

The Koopalings rumored being in the game might be reason to worry.

Taking up 7-8 character slots with them leaves little room for original villains, and probably doesn't bode well for original characters (i.e. partners) either...

SalvaPot

I remember when Intelligent System games announcement were welcome with pure hype, and now it seems most people are scared.
Fun times.

Well, lets look at their last announcements:

Code Name S.T.E.A.M.: Revealed at a Press-only event, got word of what it was, everyone imagined something like a cross between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, first images came up and we got a Comics look instead, no animu no buy. (I loved the game btw)

SMT X FE: Pure hype, everyone excited. New trailer, it become Persona Idols Adventure Featuring Fire Emblem reimagined characters. (Again, I loved the trailer)

Paper mario Sticker Star: No Story, No companions, not an RPG (Again, I liked the game for what it was)

Fire Emblem Fates: Like Awakening, but even more anime. People ignoring that its gameplay is more challenging and more varied, similar to classic fire emblem games.

To say the least, people want more of the same. A shame, really. The only one I can honestly understand the hate is Sticker Star, even if I enjoyed it.

Mory Dunz

I thought we knew early on that SMTxFE was atlus only though?

Paper Koopalings are an awesome idea though.

I agree with him though. PM is great because it's original characters.
Koopalings seem like a bad sign, but I have hope.

heck, great writing can make the koopalings great, but I hope there's a different main enemy than bowser.

Taking up 7-8 character slots with them leaves little room for original villains, and probably doesn't bode well for original characters (i.e. partners) either...

All 7 Koopalings were in Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga and that game had original characters

SalvaPot

They can easily be a single Boss Battle, with all 7/8 or them at the same time. imagine a Mech with different parts you can target, each controlled by a single Koopaling, Bowser Jr as the head, of course.

Malus

If they're fleshed out they may as well be original.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Oh wow, we've already got 2 Mario & Luigis this gen, and 1 Paper Mario, and now we're getting another!?

What a time to be alive. Then again, with the poor reception the recent Mario RPGs have received here, maybe not.

I've loved all the recent Mario RPGs though, so I'm actually really excited for this. PM/TTYD style, Sticker Star 2, another experiment, whatever it is, I'm sure to take it and love it. And Koopalings too? Sign me up! Can't wait for Monday.

Kinsei

Banned

The koopalings could be the boss of a single chapter. I could see IS making them a Power Rangers/Sentai parody by having you fight all 7 at once and then giving them a megazord as the final phase of the boss fight.

Well, lets look at their last announcements:

Code Name S.T.E.A.M.: Revealed at a Press-only event, got word of what it was, everyone imagined something like a cross between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, first images came up and we got a Comics look instead, no animu no buy. (I loved the game btw)

SMT X FE: Pure hype, everyone excited. New trailer, it become Persona Idols Adventure Featuring Fire Emblem reimagined characters. (Again, I loved the trailer)

Paper mario Sticker Star: No Story, No companions, not an RPG (Again, I liked the game for what it was)

Fire Emblem Fates: Like Awakening, but even more anime. People ignoring that its gameplay is more challenging and more varied, similar to classic fire emblem games.

To say the least, people want more of the same. A shame, really. The only one I can honestly understand the hate is Sticker Star, even if I enjoyed it.

Isnt Atlus the main Developer of SMT X FE? I wouldn't count that one anyways since it's neither of those two thngs, since its its own thing.

If the main complaint its the art style, then they'll be okay because its Paper Mario

Regiruler

Codename STEAM is so close to a great game

Every time I'm not playing it, I keep thinking "Man, I really want to be playing CNS."

Then I play it and I'm bored and I cannot figure out why this happens.
I feel like the exact opposite.

It's not the type of game that I replay frequently, so I ask myself "did I legitimately put that as my game of the year?".

Then I play again. "Yeah, I did".

Rock94

Neo Member
If we want to talk about Alpha Dream instead of Intelligent Systems, there's a very recent example that goes the other way.

Alpha Dream are definitely a more consistent developer for the Mario RPGs in comparison to Intelligent Systems who experimented with Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star, as all five Mario & Luigi games have similar gameplay. It's not like the developers are incapable of making original characters and settings as Dream Team was recent, and was full of those elements.

If this rumor is true, then I guess we'll see how this is handled ultimately.

Mory Dunz

The koopalings could be the boss of a single chapter. I could see IS making them a Power Rangers/Sentai parody by having you fight all 7 at once and then giving them a megazord as the final phase of the boss fight.

I'm assuming they're fairly prominent.

The only info we've gotten about the game is that it exists, is being localized, and koopalings. That kind of leads to believe they play a big part, but i may be reading into it too much.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Isnt Atlus the main Developer of SMT X FE? I wouldn't count that one anyways since it's neither of those two thngs, since its its own thing. If the main complaint its the art style, then they'll be okay because its Paper Mario

SMT x FE is an Atlus / Nintendo joint. No IS. But Vanpool was literally 50/50 the development staff on the last Paper Mario.

ffdgh

Please be like the first 3
Please play like the first 2
Please have partners
Please be good
LLShC.gif

Velcro Fly

I'm assuming they're fairly prominent.

The only info we've gotten about the game is that it exists, is being localized, and koopalings. That kind of leads to believe they play a big part, but i may be reading into it too much.

whoa when did we get anything about the koopalings

Tookay

There was a time when this sort of announcement would have made me extremely excited without hesitation.

Now, there's mostly hesitation.

Fandangox

Codename STEAM is so close to a great game

Every time I'm not playing it, I keep thinking "Man, I really want to be playing CNS."

Then I play it and I'm bored and I cannot figure out why this happens.

The gameplay is pretty great. Everything else however, aside from a couple of music tracks, is incredibly bland. Probably that.

SMT x FE is an Atlus / Nintendo joint. No IS. But Vanpool was literally 50/50 the development staff on the last Paper Mario.

Well thats good news, you guys might get your PM 3, still Super Paper Mario was great and unfair to judge against PM 1 and 2 as it plays way too different.

IS usually has great gameplay in their games, polarizing but mostly great.
Hell I'm impress what they did after awakening

L Thammy

Maybe the Koopalings are your teammates. Maybe Mario and the Koopalings throw a coup d'état of the Koopa Kingdom to oust Bowser Jr..

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a Super Paper Mario sequel if it wasn't piss-easy like the last and didn't put a shoujo romance at the center of the plot. How many games are there were Mario dies, goes to hell, and has to fight his way up? But the Wii U has enough platformers right now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

It worked fine for Mario and Luigi.

Maybe the Koopalings are your teammates. Maybe Mario and the Koopalings throw a coup d'état of the Koopa Kingdom to oust Bowser Jr..

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a Super Paper Mario sequel if it wasn't piss-easy like the last and didn't put a shoujo romance at the center of the plot. How many games are there were Mario dies, goes to hell, and has to fight his way up? But the Wii U has enough platformers right now.
I'd actually love that as part of the plot.

If it's anything like the first two games, I will literally scream for joy.

Every Paper Mario game, except Sticker Star, has been good. Sticker Star could've been better if it were similar to Super Paper Mario instead of its own thing. I just want to get some Star Points again :p

And partners, we need partners again!

Top Bottom