• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

RagnarokX

So the solution is to replace it with a bland, painfully generic NSMB hub (outside of the carnival level)?

Instead of giving that hub purpose and have quests intrinsic to it, like Super Mario Sunshine?

Why even bother at that point? Just make it level to level next time.

It's not really a hub. It's a SMB3 style map with a bit of spice. They needed something to stand as user interface that allowed players to choose from multiple routes and find non-level stuff. A straight menu would be too minimal. SMG2 already did the same thing, but more restricted and less visually exciting.

But the point I was making is that 3D World has more content than other 3D Mario games, so how is it lazy of them to not make a hub? They just spent their time and energy elsewhere, like making levels instead.

It's not really a hub. It's a SMB3 style map with a bit of spice. They needed something to stand as user interface that allowed players to choose from multiple routes and find non-level stuff. A straight menu would be too minimal.

But the point I was making is that 3D World has more content than other 3D Mario games, so how is it lazy of them to not make a hub? They just spent their time and energy elsewhere, like making levels instead.

It's lazy to repeat the exact same themes ad nauseam with only one single world theme (the carnival world) having any shred of originality.

It really isn't hard to put a modicum of effort into something at least SLIGHTLY different. Nintendo HQ is full of bright lads. The levels aren't going to match the theme anyway so why not think of SOMETHING? ANYTHING other than the exact same themes as 10 prior games?

They could have even done something like this if they legitimately had absolutely no original ideas:

The coherence (cohesion?) of the levels within one world matters to me; however, the worlds themselves really should be more varied from game to game. Instead of sandy desert, for example, at the very least, have like a red rocky desert with an ancient Aboriginal inspired burial theme or something. Forest? How about rainforest full of river rapids and giant Venus fly traps etc.

Tropical Freeze does a fantastic job in this regard.

And why go through all the effort to be creative in ONE theme (the carnival world) but completely ignore the rest?

The game is fantastic but their decision-making in that area was downright bizarre. I wonder if that was Miyamoto's tampering as well.

When it comes to whoevers making NSMB, the sentiment is absolutely true. Everything else on Wii U is ace though.

Post up your stats screen for NSMBU before I take this comment seriously please

Edit: don't mind waiting whatsoever.

It hurts me to say it, I don't want it to be, but NSMBU is the best 2D mario platformer.

When it comes to whoevers making NSMB, the sentiment is absolutely true. Everything else on Wii U is ace though.

Yeahhhh, no. I couldn't ever dream of creating level design as good as NSMBU, and I tried in mario maker. The aesthetic clouds judgement on the game which is a shame, but it's clear a lot of thought and creativity went into the game. Lazy Devs is a ridiculous insult that deserves to die off.

On 3D world, the game overworld holds the traditional aesthetic, but the levels break that anyway so the argument there is moot aside for the complaint of consistency, which is valid. But to say they got lazy in the aesthetic for the levels is asinine.

On the topic of Paper Mario, I do hope it focuses on the RPG elements like the first two games, there's been enough deviation IS, go back to what you know how to do and give Treehouse something they can work their magic on.

jnWake

Screw that Miyamoto guy. I wonder if he's ever had a good idea.

Gotta love how Shikamaru's post on the original Paper Mario was completely ignored so the Miyamoto/lazy devs bashing could continue.

Would you like to elaborate on the bolded?

If you want to.

Instead of a ambitious 3D Mario game, we get a sequel to a handheld game with multiplayer. Which was a good game, but nothing exciting for me like the previous games.

Instead of a new Metroid Prime, we got Tropical Freeze ( I love, love this game, but there is no denying its much less ambitious and costly than a new Metroid Prime, though I'm happy we got it)

Nintendo also showed at E3 2015 that they have no interest in the Wii U anymore.

Instead of a true remake of Twilight Princess, we get a port which has only improved textures.

I feel like Xenoblade, Smash and Mario Kart are the only AAA game on this console.

But honestly, I can't blame them for going this route. Wii U sells like dogpoop. So this is why I want the new projects on NX instead of Wii U because they can start over again.

Like the other guy said, originality on new Nintendo games is significantly lacking. That begins with 3D World and ends with Mario&Luigi Paper Jam Bros

This is my opinion, if you think the Wii U is awesome and has tons of great games, that's up to you. There is just one fact: It sells bad. Deserved.

However, if the Wii U does get a proper Paper Mario, and I mean proper, then I will be very happy to wipe off the dusk on the console and play it.

Screw that Miyamoto guy. I wonder if he's ever had a good idea.

Gotta love how Shikamaru's post on the original Paper Mario was completely ignored so the Miyamoto/lazy devs bashing could continue.

I don't know about other guys but I'm not calling Nintendo lazy developers. They're far from it.

They have small-ish teams and work really hard producing great content, standing toe-to-toe with Western studios who have have massive 800+ teams. That itself is an incredible feat.

I'm calling some of their baffling design decisions to repeat the same themes without any shred of originality inherently lazy.

If you want to.

Instead of a ambitious 3D Mario game, we get a sequel to a handheld game with multiplayer. Which was a good game, but nothing exciting for me like the previous games.

Instead of a new Metroid Prime, we got Tropical Freeze ( I love, love this game, but there is no denying its much less ambitious and costly than a new Metroid Prime, though I'm happy we got it)

Nintendo also showed at E3 2015 that they have no interest in the Wii U anymore.

Instead of a true remake of Twilight Princess, we get a port which has only improved textures.

I feel like Xenoblade, Smash and Mario Kart are the only AAA game on this console.

But honestly, I can't blame them for going this route. Wii U sells like dogpoop. So this is why I want the new projects on NX instead of Wii U because they can start over again.

This is my opinion, if you think the Wii U is awesome and has tons of great games, that's up to you. There is just one fact: It sells bad. Deserved.

Wait. Didn't you complain about a lack of a paper Mario game before? This should be good news.

If you want to.

However, if the Wii U does get a proper Paper Mario, and I mean proper, then I will be very happy to wipe off the dusk on the console and play it.

Bayonetta 2? Splatoon?

Bayonetta 2? Splatoon?

Yeah, Bayonetta 2 is pretty ambitious, forgot about that.

Splatoon is, I feel, something in between. It looks pretty good on the console and its clear that a lot of love went into the game, however, it was again made by a small team, so it seems like its not a huge project. But its definately ambitious to create such a new IP, so you've got a point.

Wait. Didn't you complain about a lack of a paper Mario game before? This should be good news.

Indeed, this is actually amazing news. I just hope it will be a proper Paper Mario game unlike SS and Paper Jam. I will count that as a huge plus for the Wii U if true.

If you want to.

I don't really see how Tropical Freeze isn't an ambitious game. The level variety and attention to detail in the aesthetic and design is downright insane. It's probably the platformer with the highest production costs on the market currently.

Your argument concerning 3D world is also highly reductive of what the game actually achieved.

Feelings have nothing to do with what is AAA and what is not, that is objective fact, nor does it mean a game is "ambitious" anyway.

What your reservations are about the console are mostly about growing pains Nintendo has been going through and the previous damage inflicted on its franchises, not the current ambition of the company.

RagnarokX

It's lazy to repeat the exact same themes ad nauseam with only one single world theme (the carnival world) having any shred of originality.

It really isn't hard to put a modicum of effort into something at least SLIGHTLY different. Nintendo HQ is full of bright lads. The levels aren't going to match the theme anyway so why not think of SOMETHING? ANYTHING other than the exact same themes as 10 prior games?

They could have even done something like this if they legitimately had absolutely no original ideas:

And why go through all the effort to be creative in ONE theme (the carnival world) but completely ignore the rest?

The game is fantastic but their decision-making in that area was downright bizarre. I wonder if that was Miyamoto's tampering as well.

They used the themes for the sake of visual variety. They put more effort into the maps than they needed to. The only purpose of the maps is to make level selection more interesting.

Mario 64 only had 1 map set in Peach's Castle in grassland.

All of Sunshine takes place on a tropical island. Tropical beach is one of the dreaded themes.

Mario Galaxy had a pretty boring space station with domes that had nothing to do with the levels you could access from them and the maps themselves were nothing to write home about:
x7tnw2V.jpg

SMG2 went with a SMB3 style map with Mass Effect 3 ending backgrounds and very strict paths with no secrets to find:
hOxRjVg.jpg

3D Land went with abstract colorful backgrounds with a completely non-branching straight path:
jYgN8OE.png

and then 3D World comes with highly detailed maps with lots of visual variety (more variety than any other 3D Mario in fact!) that you can run around on and find secrets in and they're lazy.

Flipside

If this would be a true sequel to The Thousand Year Door (style not story per se) that would be a dream come true. I loved the N64 and Gamecube versions and even though the Mario and Luigi games can be nice, it's just not the same.

I never understood all the dislike/hate for the Wii U as it's personally my most played current gen console (and I own all 3). I guess the line-up is just really up my alley. To each his own of course. There are just so many quality first party games I really like on the system and a solid Paper Mario title would be a great send off for the Wii U in my opinion.

PS. Don't be like Sticker Star or Super Paper Mario please.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A new Paper Mario would be great. Not super Optimistic with how the last few games were, but if its even on Par with Super Paper Mario that would still be enjoyable.

JonnyKong

As much as this rumour excites me, it also saddens me to read so many saying it will be a great swansong for the Wii U.

The console is so young :( *sniffles*

Chindogg

As much as this rumour excites me, it also saddens me to read so many saying it will be a great swansong for the Wii U.

The console is so young :( *sniffles*

It'll be about 4 years, that's not bad for a console's life. Last generation just lasted way too fucking long.

Kurt

They told that the next 2D mario game will be different from what we know.

My wish is to have a new mario game with better art.
- A game with the mario galaxy formule in 2D
- Or a game with backtracking (open world)
- Or something unique.

(we also know that the next kirby will be a 3D platform adventure)

..i didn't say that. what i said is that you should ask someone to explain what they mean when they lazily use phrases like "lazy devs" instead of calling for their heads.

I honestly don't see how anything can justify saying lazy devs.

they could elaborate all they want, they may have very valid opinions, but it wouldnt be in support of "lazy devs"

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If Paper Mario on Wii U was a thing that was actually happening, I would flip the fuck out. Well, I mean... as long as it's a legitimate sequel to TTYD. Not another bad spin-off.

ramparter

Banned
If Paper Mario on Wii U was a thing that was actually happening, I would flip the fuck out. Well, I mean... as long as it's a legitimate sequel to TTYD. Not another bad spin-off.
But it won't because apparently devs are lazy nowadays.
"Hey guys I'm not really in the mood for making that Koopa Mall today"
"It's okay man, we ll just make a menu for the player to get into the levels, and call it a day"
"Cool!!!"

Taker666

I hope TTYD is the template for this game (but I'm doubtful). I've had no interest in the Paper Mario's released since then.

I also hope they really go all out on the Paper/card look in the same way they used wool and clay with Yoshi and Kirby.

Visually it could look stunning on the Wii U with a little bit of effort.

I wonder when they plan to release it.

Would be strange if it was released in November around the NX's launch, very un-Nintendo, but maybe they want to throw Wii U owners a bone for the smaller than usual lifespan.

bman94

Being the most optimistic here, if we do get a Paper Mario Wii U game, along with Pikmin 4, along with the rumored Diddy Kong Racing game then the Wii U would have a pretty strong 2016 that rivals the previous years in terms of content.

Top Bottom