• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Sterok

When this ends up nothing like the first two, Super, or Sticker Star, I wonder if people will start realizing that Paper Mario is a series about experimentation more than a consistent type of gameplay. The first two were RPGs, Super was a platformer, and Sticker Star was an adventure game. I expect this to be a new genre/hybrid. And hey, the first 3 games were great, and even SS could be okay if you have the right mindset, so it's not necessarily bad.

That being said, a variety of environments would be very nice. Mario games are about going on an adventure, but it's a rather bland adventure if we're going to places we've been to before.

Mariolee

latest

GUYS THE BOX ART GOT LEAKED, SWEET IT SUPPORTS THE WII MOTE AND NUNCHUK

Holy shit. I made that Waluigi render five years ago for VGboxart lololol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oh...this would have been a sweet surprise announcement on Monday.

Hope this will be the Paper Mario follow up the series deserves.

No. I believe that any change in the RPG nature of Paper Mario since SPM (removal of things such as story, party members, hub worlds, etc) was because of Miyamoto thinking he knows what's best for this franchise when really he has no idea why it was successful in the first place.

Keep Miyamoto away and it should be fine.

He created Mario. He's one of the top guys at Nintendo. He's had a say in every Paper Mario game. You're not going to keep him away.

Anth0ny

He created Mario. He's one of the top guys at Nintendo. He's had a say in every Paper Mario game. You're not going to keep him away.

You could say the same about George Lucas and Star Wars.

Sometimes, certain franchises could use a little less involvement from its creator. According to those interviews, Miyamoto really doesn't seem to know what made Paper Mario great in the first place, which is why they've been progressively getting worse since TTYD.

Mory Dunz

No. I believe that any change in the RPG nature of Paper Mario since SPM (removal of things such as story, party members, hub worlds, etc) was because of Miyamoto thinking he knows what's best for this franchise when really he has no idea why it was successful in the first place.

Keep Miyamoto away and it should be fine.
Miyamoto didn't have any huge influence on SPM did he?

Int Sys gets just as much blame for the how the franchise is. Well, more since they're the one making it.

Oh...this would have been a sweet surprise announcement on Monday.

Hope this will be the Paper Mario follow up the series deserves.

Why would it be any different on monday...?

bon

I hope it's Sticker Star 2, I want another Mario adventure game. There are plenty of Mario RPGs already, in fact one literally just came out.

Yeah there is no reason for the so called bland and soulless art styles anymore, I always thought of it as a side effect of the expanded audience design mentality of making things simple and easy to grasp.

It appears to be a cost-cutting / resource saving thing, given they go all out for select titles and hold back for others. At least you could say Nintendo has their priorities straight because their games are always mechanically solid which is the deciding factor for me.

Just imagine stripping a Mario Maker level down to the very essentials; remove every object that isn't necessary for reaching the flag and every enemy that isn't used as a meaningful stage hazard. You know how sometimes you walk up to a door that is framed as the entrance to a house, a castle or a haunted mansion that they built with various blocks purely for production values? Remove literally everything except the door. I would still play that level if it's mechanically interesting, but for many it seems that personality and context is very important.

Nintendo (and its sister studios) are brimming with personality when they feel like it. Just look how much style and creativity is packed into every square inch of Splatoon, for example.

That's why it's so frustrating for me when they skimp on that personality and opt for generic and soulless. Maybe it IS all Miyamoto's fault and once he's gone the floodgates of creativity will open? I don't know.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Miyamoto really doesn't seem to know what made Paper Mario great in the first place, which is why they've been progressively getting worse since TTYD.

Miyamoto was the producer and part creator of the original Paper Mario. He even dispensed several EAD graphic artists on the project. Not defending his decisions, but Paper Mario is actually his jurisdiction.

Lookie401

Paper Mario for Wii U?! Yes please! :D
...Unless its like Sticker Star then no thanks. Please Miyamoto, please!!!

Also, the game should run at 1080p/60 since it's paper, right? ...RIGHT?! /s

Nairume

Banned
Yeah, I feel like SS is the only one he really had a hand in ruining, and even that doesn't really to be nearly as much on him as people want to make it sound (to be clear, this doesn't mean he *didn't* have a hand at all).

A lot of it seems to be IntSys themselves overreacting to player reactions to SPM, which in turn let them become more willing to follow Miyamoto's suggestions to a T, rather than interpret them in a looser way that'd have better fit the series.

Dr. Buni

After completely ruining Fire Emblem and the extremely divisive (to say the least) Paper Mario Sticker Star, it is hard to trust Intelligent Systems to make a good game nowadays. I would honestly prefer Paper Mario to be handled by a different developer. But who knows, Code Name S.T.E.A.M. was not a bad game, surprisingly, so maybe this Paper Mario will be great too.

(Super Paper Mario was amazing btw)

cw_sasuke

Why would it be any different on monday...?

Because we it would have been a surprise announcement - dont think many of us expected Paper Mario too hit WiiU at this stage of the console. Looking forward to a trailer next week.

You could say the same about George Lucas and Star Wars.

Sometimes, certain franchises could use a little less involvement from its creator. According to those interviews, Miyamoto really doesn't seem to know what made Paper Mario great in the first place, which is why they've been progressively getting worse since TTYD.

Wait a minute I said something about this earlier...

The hate for PM fans have for sticker star reminds me of Star Wars fans when the Phantom Menace came out.

Crayolan

Because we it would have been a surprise announcement - dont think many of us expected Paper Mario too hit WiiU at this stage of the console. Looking forward to a trailer next week.

The "announcement" on Monday would have been the same as what we got today. Nintendo is not officially announcing it on Monday.

BowieZ

Banned
i agree, except with the 3d world part. Why does...the overworld matter for that game if the stages are varied.

If all these could theoretically be in the same world I don't have a problem:

etc

why do they keep the same overworld style? dunno, but can't say I care too much.
The coherence (cohesion?) of the levels within one world matters to me; however, the worlds themselves really should be more varied from game to game. Instead of sandy desert, for example, at the very least, have like a red rocky desert with an ancient Aboriginal inspired burial theme or something. Forest? How about rainforest full of river rapids and giant Venus fly traps etc.

Tropical Freeze does a fantastic job in this regard.

After completely ruining Fire Emblem and the extremely divisive (to say the least) Paper Mario Sticker Star, it is hard to trust Intelligent Systems to make a good game nowadays. I would honestly prefer Paper Mario to be handled by a different developer. But who knows, Code Name S.T.E.A.M. was not a bad game, surprisingly, so maybe this Paper Mario will be great too.

(Super Paper Mario was amazing btw)

"completely ruining" is a hell of an overstatement given FE:A's general reception.

I personally liked the wii one the best even though its not what other paper mario titles were(just different). sticker star, lets not talk about that

cw_sasuke

The "announcement" on Monday would have been the same as what we got today. Nintendo is not officially announcing it on Monday.
Nintendo's not announcing anything on Monday.

Alright that makes sense, thanks.
I was wondering why they would announce the game at this point outside of a Direct or any other relevant event. Then again Paper Jam just came out announcing it right now probably isnt smart.

RagnarokX

Remember when an RPG based on Mario was a fresh, off-the-wall concept?

There are 8 Mario RPGs now. EIGHT.
There are 2 series.

The Mario and Luigi series is a continuation of Super Mario RPG's gameplay and is developed by the same team as that game.
Paper Mario is an offshoot series that became more and more experimental over time.

Ninjimbo

I'm getting frustrated at all the Miyamoto slamming. Seriously, the guy makes one suggestion (one that is based on actual results from surveys and reviews) and it's all his fault? This is a guy who has created hit after hit after hit and has helped produce some the best games of all time and he's the problem?

SS is a good game. IS is the team that made that game. It's also a game that they enjoyed making. The TTYD-reject game they were working on wasn't panning out. They weren't making it interesting or fresh so it got redesigned. Miyamoto actually played the early versions of the game and thought it was no good. Is that not worth anything?

Guys, I've been going through Mario games, not just mainline 2D/3D ones but other games he appears in.

In almost every single one, he jumps and runs.

And on top of that, there are mushrooms and fire flowers.

How can they stick to such monotony? I mean, come on, just give us some variety.

Edit: also, the only name I recognise is Miyamoto, so it's his fault for sure 100%

dottme

Some years back, I hear Paper Mario and I go crazy. Now I'm wondering what new idea they may have found to damage the franchise even more.

Zalman

I'm getting frustrated at all the Miyamoto slamming. Seriously, the guy makes one suggestion (one that is based on actual results from surveys and reviews) and it's all his fault? This is a guy who has created hit after hit after hit and has helped produce some the best games of all time and he's the problem?

SS is a good game. IS is the team that made that game. It's also a game that they enjoyed making. The TTYD-reject game they were working on wasn't panning out. They weren't making it interesting or fresh so it got redesigned. Miyamoto actually played the early versions of the game and thought it was no good. Is that not worth anything?
Thank you. This is getting ridiculous.

I know. They gave us more content than any other 3D Mario by a good margin but the devs were too lazy to connect the levels with a boring and pointless space station hub.

So the solution is to replace it with a bland, painfully generic NSMB hub (outside of the carnival level)?

Instead of giving that hub purpose and have quests intrinsic to it, like Super Mario Sunshine?

Why even bother at that point? Just make it level to level next time.

Hatchtag

Banned
Some years back, I hear Paper Mario and I go crazy. Now I'm wondering what new idea they may have found to damage the franchise even more.

Kinda my thinking. I loved SPM but SS wasn't very fun. I guess 3 for 4 isn't that bad of a batting average.

Holy shit, if thats true and if its the Paper Mario we all waited for, I'm going to be so happy. But why on Wii U and not on NX?

Wii U is always connected with lazyness and no ambition in my book. I really hope its not going to be another NSMB RPG.

Crayolan

They clearly stopped doing hub worlds because it no longer fit the style of game they were doing. SM64 and Sunshine had open 3D Worlds with lots of mobility and so were connected by a large 3D space where you could play around with your movement skills.

Galaxy onward the levels became more linear and so the hub world became pointless. The Comet Observatory being terribly boring with nothing to do further emphasized this.

Hatchtag

Banned
Holy shit, if thats true and if its the Paper Mario we all waited for, I'm going to be so happy. But why on Wii U and not on NX?

Paper Mario's art style probably wouldn't get a big visuals bump from Wii U to NX, so while financial reasons might be compelling to bump it off to the NX, I'd be surprised if there's any real content-related reasons to do so. So maybe they just decided that'd be an okay one to let stay on the Wii U.

Champion

Wii U is always connected with lazyness and no ambition in my book. I really hope its not going to be another NSMB RPG.
Would you like to elaborate on the bolded?

Top Bottom