• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Cuphead is as wondrous as it is difficult

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Seriously though, is this the guy's very first time ever playing a 2D sidescroller?

Like, has he never played any before?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That video and the response he posted are infuriating. It has nothing to do with being a "master or an expert." It's about learning the language of video games after spending a fucking decade writing about them. That tutorial, as someone that plays video games, is something you should just do. Something repeated in dozens of other modern platformers (off the top of my head , I know for a fact it's a concept you see in both Spelunky and Ori). Something resigned to muscle memory. I absolutely hate these inclusivity arguments. I don't think you need to be great at video games to cover them but at least engage them, Jesus.
Teeth and crew should've just had the word "GO -->" in that intro tutorial 2 block section and called it a day honestly. IF you cannot figure out this rudimentary jump puzzle that has been used in gaming time after time again, then you really don't have business reviewing/writing about video games.
I get the feeling that little kids are going to pick this game up much faster than some grown ass adults...as always.

Artanisix

The guy isn't great, but come on now bruh. The art style is going to attract a lot of different kinds of people. I'm glad he enjoyed it, even if he was struggling massively

If You're expecting Mario LOL

Who is expecting Mario? I would atleast say megaman, or contra, or metal slug.

Mario lol

smh. If he put that in the review. MAJOR L
He expected Mario and continued to play it like it was Mario even though at literally every moment the game is screaming at you: "THIS ISN'T MARIO!".

I know some reviewers ding a game for not being able to be forced to work in the way they want it to be but I had never seen it in action before that video.

SilentRob

I'm not one of those 'you're playing it wrong!!1' people but this was physically painful to watch.

8xTCA3X.png

nJ3LqdW.gif

Real talk? It's a bad tutorial if literally the second thing you do requires you not do exactly what you're being told but making you "solve" it on your own. Yes, it was obvious, yes, I have a hard time understanding how anyone who plays games has trouble undertanding this.

But if I would give the game to my brother for example who really doesn't play 2D side scroller he would be stuck there, too. Because he has no concept of a "dash" move in a 2D space and the game does not allow you to actually effectively use the dash move, understanding a) how far it takes you and b) that it keeps you hovering in the air. It takes both of these things for granted, basically skipping two steps. That'd be cool if this wasn't a Tutorial that is explicitly about teaching someone who doesn't know what he's doing what he's supposed to be doing.

And honestly, I wouldn't be too hard on the guy for the Mass Effect fuckup. I'm pretty sure most of us did something along those lines at least once, where we oversaw or misunderstood a critical game mechanic. Actually, there was a thread about that here not too long ago. I once played Gravity Rush without ever upgrading anything until I was stuck and realized that, whoops, there is a whole Upgrade system here. It happens.

i legitimately do not understand how game journalists websites hire people who can't get past tutorials or play at least semi-well. Polygon's DOOM video was so fucking bad and now this Cuphead tutorial is just embarrassing. How are you so bad at the one thing you love??

What games do these people play?

[Fugo]

Nice hindsight on the animation. It looks terrific indeed.
BTW Street Fighter III is also animated on ones and still is the best animated 2d fighter ever 20 years after its first release. Cuphead will still look great in 20 years as well

RocBase

i legitimately do not understand how game journalists websites hire people who can't get past tutorials or play at least semi-well. Polygon's DOOM video was so fucking bad and now this Cuphead tutorial is just embarrassing. How are you so bad at the one thing you love??

Visual novels?

Keinning

Real talk? It's a bad tutorial if literally the second thing you do requires you not do exactly what you're being told but making you "solve" it on your own. Yes, it was obvious, yes, I have a hard time understanding how anyone who plays games has trouble undertanding this.

But if I would give the game to my brother for example who really doesn't play 2D side scroller he would be stuck there, too. Because he has no concept of a "dash" move in a 2D space and the game does not allow you to actually effectively use the dash move, understanding a) how far it takes you and b) that it keeps you hovering in the air. It takes both of these things for granted, basically skipping two steps. That'd be cool if this wasn't a Tutorial that is explicitly about teaching someone who doesn't know what he's doing what he's supposed to be doing.

And honestly, I wouldn't be too hard on the guy for the Mass Effect fuckup. I'm pretty sure most of us did something along those lines at least once, where we oversaw or misunderstood a critical game mechanic. Actually, there was a thread about that here not too long ago. I once played Gravity Rush without ever upgrading anything until I was stuck and realized that, whoops, there is a whole Upgrade system here. It happens.

Unless your brother is also a paid games journalist with 25 years of experience (again, his words, not ours) your comparison is irrelevant

This is a paid professional, not some random schmuck people are ragging on for shits and giggles. I'm a designer, no one would find endearing or defend me if i didn't knew how to save an archive on Photoshop and kept trying to type S A V E on the keyboard. This kind of attitude is inexcusable, specially in the mass effect case, where he did a terrible review bashing a game and even calling it "mass defect" for something that was entirely his own fault. You can use gaf examples to defend him all you want, but they're nowhere near comparable.

He plays video games like a small town news anchor to who got sent to a games convention against his wishes because his boss is upset with him.

Irrelevant comparison. This is something who has been in the industry reviewing games for 15 years. The first few minutes of that video are damn embarrassing for someone like that lol

theWB27

Yo... the visual cues told you very clearly one was too high for a regular jump and using the other pillar for a boost got you high enough but not far enough. The direction on top of the higher pillar stated there was a dash button.

It's as 1+1=2 as you could possibly get. Simple problem solving where even in earlier Mario titles you knew there were certain jumps that required you to run fast in tandem with jumping across the big space in the level.

We've been combining these simple mechanics for decades.

It's completely reasonable to hold professionals to a higher standard than your brother. A games journalist doesn't need to be an expert at playing games, but they should be competent at them. Otherwise, their opinions on the subject are extremely difficult to take seriously.

Budi

As you people are saying, he is a journalist, not a speedrunner or a professional player. So cut him some slack. Journalists play a lot of different games usually, doesn't mean they would be adept at all of them. But they could be really familiar and even good in some genres.

Edit: After checking the guy out on their site, I redact my statement. He doesn't seem to get the journalism part right either, so fire away.

As you people are saying, he is a journalist, not a speedrunner or a professional player.

This is a straw man. No one is expecting this of him.

People have a rightful expectation that a journalist in the games industry should be a competent player, especially if they are reviewing games.

Budi

This is a strawman. No one is expecting this of him.
People are expecting him to handle this game on his first try because he is a professional JOURNALIST. It's not his skill in games what he is paid for, that was my point. And he probably has got enough of "critique" about his skills in this video. I wouldn't want anyone of you to shit on him more. If his gaming skill isn't enough for you, you can just skip his reviews then.

People are expecting him to handle this game on his first try because he is a professional JOURNALIST. It's not his skill in games what he is paid for, that was my point. And he probably has got enough of "critique" about his skills in this video. I wouldn't want anyone of you to shit on him more.

He didn't figure it out on his tenth try, much less his first. I don't think anyone would bat an eye if it took him three or four attempts to make that jump, even if it would kind of silly on his part.

I actually think his defense of why he played poorly is even worse than the gameplay itself.

Budi

He didn't figure it out on his tenth try, much less his first. I don't think anyone would bat an eye if it took him three or four attempts to make that jump, even if it would kind of silly on his part.
Yeah I saw the video and he made the game look boring so it was a disservice to the game. I just don't understand what shitting on him is going to achieve. He needs to resign and be ashamed, maybe write an apology?

Yeah I saw the video and he made the game look boring so it was a disservice to the game. I just don't understand what shitting on him is going to achieve.

I think it's perfectly fine to point out when a professional games journalist cannot play a game competently and there's certainly ways to do so without "shitting on him". "Competent" doesn't equal "good", by the way. I would never make the assumption that a video game reviewer should be great at every game they play.

Budi

I think it's perfectly fine to point out when a professional games journalist cannot play a game competently and there's certainly ways to do so without "shitting on him". "Competent" doesn't equal "good", by the way. I would never make the assumption that every video game reviewer should be great at every game they play.
You think it already hasn't been pointed out? Check the comments on the video if you think not. Even the description of the video acknowledges that he isn't doing good. Everyone needs to get their fun too when there's a chance to mock and shame someone? Sure, knock yourselves out then. I can't tell people not to be assholes.

You think it already hasn't been pointed out? Check the comments on the video if you think not. Even the description of the video acknowledges it already that he isn't doing good. Everyone needs to get their fun too when there's a chance to mock and shame someone? Sure, knock yourselves out then. I can't tell people not to be assholes.

I'm not going to defend people who are assholes and personally attack him, but you seem to be lumping everyone together who is criticizing this video.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, this game's still not out yet? Wasn't it shown at E3 like 3 years ago?

Budi

I'm not going to defend people who are assholes and personally attack him, but you seem to be lumping everyone together who is criticizing this video.
Am I? I just criticized the video myself by saying that he did disservice to the game. Didn't mean to imply that I'm an asshole, apologies to myself.

Chris1

Wait, this game's still not out yet? Wasn't it shown at E3 like 3 years ago?
Yep back when it was just a boss rush game. Ms invested money into it to add platforming (which was the developers original plans) hence the long delays. It's pretty much a completely different game now

It comes out uh.. September 29?

Am I? I just criticized the video myself by saying that he did disservice to the game. Didn't mean to imply that I'm an asshole, apologies to myself.

I hope you can forgive yourself!

Seriously though, apologies if I took your comments the wrong way . I agree that attacking the guy personally is not cool. But I stand by the notion that a games journalist/reviewer should be expected to at least be competent at video games. Not great, not even good....but competent.

Budi

Seriously though, apologies if I took your comments the wrong way . I agree that attacking the guy personally is not cool.
Yeah no problem, I think going through the Youtube comments was a mistake like usually. And honestly all the malice towards Lawbreakers that's been prevalent here also has me on my toes a bit. And ofcourse the elitism in multiplayer circles. I'm just tired of seeing it around a hobby that often brings people together, gives exciting, fun and even touching moments. But I don't think it's people here leaving the worst comments to the video. Just hoped that people will cut him "some slack" as I said in my initial post. I don't mind reading funny and clever comments about it.

theWB27

Seriously though, apologies if I took your comments the wrong way . I agree that attacking the guy personally is not cool. But I stand by the notion that a games journalist/reviewer should be expected to at least be competent at video games. Not great, not even good....but competent.

Good enough to complete a jump isnt too much to ask for.

Yeah no problem, I think going through the Youtube comments was a mistake like usually. And honestly all the malice towards Lawbreakers that's been prevalent here also has me on my toes a bit. And ofcourse the elitism in multiplayer circles. I'm just tired of seeing it around a hobby that often brings people together, gives exciting, fun and even touching moments. But I don't think it's people here leaving the worst comments to the video. Just hoped that people will give him "some slack" as I said in my initial post.

If you're referring to trash like CrowbCat videos, I agree with you completely. That garbage is incredibly mean spirited and adds nothing to this industry.

Jacqli

They don't play, they watch Twitch or walkthroughs on Youtube.

Budi

If you're referring to trash like CrowbCat videos, I agree with you completely. That garbage is incredibly mean spirited and adds nothing to this industry.
Well yeah that, but also the posters getting kicks from poor sales and some even directly saying that "they deserve it". Rubs me the wrong way. BossKey is full of good people.

blakep267

It's completely reasonable to hold professionals to a higher standard than your brother. A games journalist doesn't need to be an expert at playing games, but they should be competent at them. Otherwise, their opinions on the subject are extremely difficult to take seriously.
Pretty much. Ex I don't need an NBA analyst to have won 6 rings and be a hall of gamer. But I do expect them to have a healthy knowledge of basketball and be able to call a game properly. I don't expect average joe off the street to know every NBA rule. Because it's not their job

The concept of dashing at the jumps apex isn't rocket science and tons of games, platformers and non platformers use the concept

As another video put it, this is a bad representation of a game that will turn people off who watch it. How do they know that the game isn't working properly and the person is doing the correct inputs etc

Budi

Okay, now I kinda regret defending the guy. Since unless I'm mistaken, which I think I'm not since I did the research. He is also a bad journalist. In the article accompanying that video he writes "Of course, I expect the final game to have a lot more emphasis on gameplay over story, as the designers of the game — Chad and Jared Moldenhauer — are known for that style with their previous game, Super Meat Boy, from 2010." Shame me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they had anything to do with that game? Oh boy, the egg on my face.

Okay, now I kinda regret defending the guy. Since unless I'm mistaken, which I think I'm not since I did the research. He is also a bad journalist. In the article accompanying that video he writes "Of course, I expect the final game to have a lot more emphasis on gameplay over story, as the designers of the game — Chad and Jared Moldenhauer — are known for that style with their previous game, Super Meat Boy, from 2010." Shame me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they had anything to do with that game?

Wow.

No, they had absolutely nothing to do with Super Meat Boy.

Good god that video is brutal

I know he mentioned Mario but Mario games are only easier than that for like one or two levels.

Wamb0wneD

I barely made it through the start of that video. I almost felt bad for him while reading the youtube comments but then I thought that If you get paid to do this shit you should at least be able to grasp the very basics of it.

Regardless, I feel for you. You've made a first level that has the same flow as Contra 3's but instead you're getting compared to Mario.

I think there are worse things one can get compared to than Mario. Some first levels of Mario games are legenadry game design after all. Too bad the guy comparing Cuphead to it probably has no clue about any of that.

Okay, now I kinda regret defending the guy. Since unless I'm mistaken, which I think I'm not since I did the research. He is also a bad journalist. In the article accompanying that video he writes "Of course, I expect the final game to have a lot more emphasis on gameplay over story, as the designers of the game — Chad and Jared Moldenhauer — are known for that style with their previous game, Super Meat Boy, from 2010." Shame me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they had anything to do with that game? Oh boy, the egg on my face.

Lmao, hey Teeth, how was working on Super Meat Boy? Seriously though, after that video, his horrible reasoning for it and this, If i was his boss I would have someone else write the review. Shit is is borderline unacceptable.

Anyway, looking forward to the game, hopefully my old ass PC can manage it. If not, It will just sit in my library until I get a better one I guess. Can't wait. Will play this even if my PC explodes.

Sir Doom

Was he intoxicated? Can't seem to read simple tutorial text.

Playing it like Mario by jumping on enemies or absorbing them.

Head.spawn

Not sure if someone saw this, but.
Gameplay from Dean Takahashi of GamesBeat, it seems. Yes, video game journalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848Y1Uu5Htk&t

2/10 stupid game

I feel bad for him. Jeez.

dead2.gif

Top Bottom