• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: The difficulty slider in South Park: TFBH changes the color of your skin.

Holy shit... That's pretty incredible. Seems appropriate that the South Park folks would have the balls to go there though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Internet outrage in 3....2....1....

You know what, good on Ubisoft. They've had a lot of diverse protagonists in their games lately. Except uhhhh women. But we'll get there. I hope.

this is pretty much their politics and very much in line with their other stuff.
Their politics typically fall on the 'both sides suck lol'/vaguely libertarian perspective. The game making a very clear & definitive statement about race relations is almost enough for me to doubt if Matt & Trey had anything to do with it.

NeoRausch

bby1m.jpg

Sounds like it's not really a difficulty selector since it doesn't affect the combat difficulty of the game itself. It's just there to give a good message on the current state of affairs. Unless i'm missing something and skin color will affect other aspects of the game but I can't think of what those aspects would be outside something like less money to buy equipment. It's been awhile since I played SoT so I kinda forgot how the game systems work.

Basically, that's it. You earn less if you aren't white.

Ridley327

Their politics typically fall on the 'both sides suck lol'/vaguely libertarian perspective. The game making a very clear & definitive statement about race relations is almost enough for me to doubt if Matt & Trey had anything to do with it.

Their larger political views are definitely like that, but the show has always been super kind to minorities, LGBT and differently-abled people. This is totally something they would do.

Gator86

Hopefully it will actually be difficult. The first game was a cake walk on hard.

Well, yeah. Being black in America is pretty goddamn hard so the difficulty should be pretty high considering you are constantly at risk of random encounters with police using instant kill attacks.

Pepin

These also went live when the embargo was up--

The game is going to be twice as long as Stick of Truth:

"The Fractured but Whole has about double the content of the first game," Wiegend explained when asked about the size of the release.

"So it is a massive story. There is a lot to do inside South Park, there's a lot to do in the main story and there's a lot to do in the side missions."

And won't be censored anywhere in the world:

"We just got our ratings back," explained Weigend. "There are no content issues across all countries. Everyone around the world will play the exact same content in The Fractured But Whole".

In the previous game, certain scenes featuring aliens probing various members of the South Park cast and a scene in an abortion clinic were removed from regional versions of the game in Australia and Europe.

Weigand explains: "It was such a bummer that certain people couldn't play certain parts, but this time it seems to be more progressive and the ratings board must've been like ‘this isn't so bad, let's just go with it' [laughter]"

Nah, they went hard on Trumps racism, sexism, and narcissistic personality last season. They are part of what I'd call the apathetic moderate.

On social issues, they are very progressive though.

suicreeps

Not trying to sound racist but I don't really like being forced to play as a certain race since I like making characters that look like me, but I guess I'm going to have to live with it if I play hard mode

legacyzero

Banned
Amazing. I came into this thread expecting explosions. That's what my Twitter feed was initially like until people started reading the article.
Not trying to sound racist but I don't really like being forced to play as a certain race since I like making characters that look like me, but I guess I'm going to have to live with it if I play hard mode
Never a good idea to start a sentence with "I'm not racist, but..."

Owensboro

Sounds like it's not really a difficulty selector since it doesn't affect the combat difficulty of the game itself. It's just there to give a good message on the current state of affairs. Unless i'm missing something and skin color will affect other aspects of the game but I can't think of what those aspects would be outside something like less money to buy equipment. It's been awhile since I played SoT so I kinda forgot how the game systems work.

If they lean hard into the RPG elements, there are lots of ways this could make the game harder without just making just the numbers in combat bigger. Example: You make less money, NPCs are initially more hostile / scared of you, you aren't allowed to go into areas as easily, you're more likely to be targeted by "encounters" with law enforcement, NPCs keep crossing the street when you want to talk to them, you're blamed for any minor crimes that happen around town, you're the target of constant racist slurs and told to get over it, etc...

I've always thought just increasing enemy damage is the worst way to make a "hard mode", so this could potentially be really, really interesting. This sounds cool as hell, but I doubt it's going to end up what I want it to be.

nelo_inc

Goes very well with South Park and the part " Don't worry, this doesn't affect combat. Just every other aspect of your whole life." it's just great!

TraBuch

Banned
Will there also be cops that jump out at you in random places on the harder difficulties that aren't there on easy?

Basically, that's it. You earn less if you aren't white.

That's amazing. Can't wait for the gamergame "keep politics etc." meltdowns and sweet, sweet tears.
For extra accuracy, they should make it so you also earn less if you pick a female character. "You made a black female character: Nightmare mode unlocked!".

Peltz

Pretty innovative stuff. We haven't really seen much of this in the games industry. I think it's great.

BY2K

Membero Americo

It doesn't actually make the game more difficult. Unless money has a big impact on the game. It changes nothing to combat, however.

Slayven

That's amazing. Can't wait for the gamergame "keep politics etc." meltdowns and sweet, sweet tears.
For extra accuracy, they should make it so you also earn less if you pick a female character. "You made a black female character: Nightmare mode unlocked!".

The black female option would be harder than Dark Souls with a controller shorting out

Top Bottom