• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer why our Starfield: review will be late (DF unaffected and will be on time)

yurinka

You are naive if you think its due to any "agenda"

Eurogamer is fucking up a lot of MC scores with their rating system, and Edge is known for being harsh when reviewing games.

MS is protecting Starfield's MC/Opencritic scores to boost sales

Simple as that
If that is a case, it's a good idea.

And well, if journalists buy their own games instead of getting them from free from the publishers they will be more independent and will make more honest reviews because won't depend on the publishers.

Last edited:

yurinka

The same company owns Eurogamer and Digital Foundry.

Anyway, it seems strange it's only UK being affected.
But as you’ve seen in the reports, the whole deal with so many UK outlets being barred and the reasons why is unprecedented. Which makes the reports newsworthy. Hence all the attention.
If its' truly CMA, then I can understand it, but isn't DF in the UK? Why are they getting special treatment? Something doesn't add up.

Axios(Totilo) is from USA. It isn't related to UK/CMA.

DzpWovx.jpg

Starfield threads bring out the crazy talk.
Metro is trying to find some excuse but doesn't make any sense. Any publisher, and specially the platform holder, can send review codes from any region. Even small indies can do it.

If MS+Zenimax+Bethesda don't send codes to certain media is because MS+Zenimax+Bethesda don't want these people have the game on time to publish the review before release. That's the only reason.

Pretty likely they were blacklisted by MS/Zenimax/Bethesda because of some unfair reviews, because shown some leaked stuff or fake news that damaged them or something like that.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Look, Eurogamer have been utterly stupid and the whole Hogwarts Legacy debacle is what led me to never visit their site again.

But just because you don't like the view of one press outlet and are happy to see them suffer (and in this case wronged) doesn't make it right or healthy for society. One day it might be an outlet or personality that you like. I bet you'd be angry then, wouldn't you?
But i don't like them all, it's not just EG or Wired, even IGN with their fair score had to push nonsense and irrelevant issues into their review. Don't care for them or feel sorry for them, also not hate them or something just feel like they are reaping what they sow.

oji-san

Banned
Probably just mad they gave it the score it deserved, 3/5.
Or perhaps they and the rest of the gaming critics should stick to review games and not lecture us how society should be.

The world is also conspicuous for its ethnic homogeneity, which producer Naoki Yoshida has explained as a reflection of the "geographical, technological, and geopolitical constraints" of medieval Europe. Leaving aside the fact that there were Black and brown people in medieval Europe, this justification rings hollow given that several locations take open inspiration from north Africa and the Middle East, with towns that, for example, riff on Islamic architectural traditions and attire, but are predominantly or exclusively populated by anglophone white people (I hedge, here, simply because I haven't been around and talked to everybody). I find the deletion of people of colour from these spaces more sinister than the racial stereotypes of older Final Fantasies, particularly in a game that wants to talk about overcoming structural injustice and bringing people together. That "togetherness" is worth fighting for, but it's characterised here by what it excludes.

fun fact, the same person at Xbox Era that gave Redfall an 8.5 is the one that gave Armored Core VI a 6.5

I mean I’d find it hard to believe you guys have lower metrics than some of the Twitter troll/fanboys that for some reason got early codes 🤷🏼‍♂️ or Xbox Era…

just seems like they’re being selective and definitely giving preferential treatment to ‘reviewers’ that they know will follow the “you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours” approach
We only have 2,000+ twitter followers, and almost 7,700 followers on Instagram, that is pretty low, not even at 10K. Our highest is YouTube at almost 11,000 subscribers and our website gets less viewership than Instagram per month which is sad. I think I need to invest in some aggressive advertising, but the issue is money. All the giant woke-tard tech/media companies are eating up all the SEO and getting attention with their annoying outrage articles. Let me tell you man, the media is not your friend, they do not give a fuck about you, trust me. They want easy money and they do that by making people angry, I hate to tell you this but negativity gets so much attention and generates a stupid amount of traffic that it is unreal. We try to write a negative piece here and there, but we do it in a way where it riles up the fanboys without the political bullshit and we do it very rarely, otherwise it's difficult to survive sometimes. We have writers on all three big fronts, (PS, Nintendo, Xbox) we just sit there and brainstorm ideas and it usually works wonders. I am not gonna sit here and lie that console wars don't get any attention, they 100% do, especially on twitter and its also hilarious to watch people argue on instagram and flaming each other. Quite the entertainment.

As for how everything is being handled and paid for, well everything is out of pocket + reinvested back with whatever we make, we do not have any investors or any kind of crazy support. YouTube makes pathetic so called "income". We are an indie establishment that is by gamers for gamers and the internet is a very hyper competitive space. You have these tech giants with investors and crap and they throw money at everything and they also treat their employees like shit (we had people from gamerant and other known places come to us because of their treatment and keen gamer) and can afford all the SEO and advertising in the world. It's not as easy as people think it is.

Thankfully, we do have a loyal fanbase who loves the fact that we one of the very few if not the only ones in today's day that don't rely on stupid outrage political agenda clickbait bullshit, like every other website does. Anyways, I am gonna stop here because I don't want to turn this into an advert, but that's just who we are if you are curious.

Last edited:

damidu

As serious as leukemia; no outlet is entitled to a review copy.
Writing an article crying about is the cherry on top
unless you are xbox (redfall - incredible fun) era of course
Eurogamer already got their codes.
yeah after their article, and making sure review wont fall on day1

anyway none of this is anything new of course,

basically wait 2 weeks to see the real metascore.
probably another amateur hour shit, that will blow on their face

Ginzeen

Banned
unless you are xbox (redfall - incredible fun) era of course

yeah after their article, and making sure review wont fall on day1

anyway none of this is anything new of course,

basically wait 2 weeks to see the real metascore.
probably another amateur hour shit, that will blow on their face
nah most people got codes. The people that didn't are just coping. Starfield looks good and will most likely be received well.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
nah most people got codes. The people that didn't are just coping. Starfield looks good and will most likely be received well.
"Most people"?

People who got review codes from Xbox:
  • KidSmoove
  • Nick Spheshal
  • Stevivor
  • Rand
  • Jez Cordon
  • Colt Eastwood
Those who didn't get a code:
  • Metro
  • The Guardian
  • Skill Up
  • Eurogamer (got an hour after the news blew up)
  • Rock Paper Shotgun
  • Edge
  • Bloomberg
  • Axios
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Ginzeen

Banned
"Most people"?

• KidSmoove
  • Nick Spheshal
  • Stevivor
  • Rand
  • Jez Cordon
  • Colt Eastwood
  • Metro
  • The Guardian
  • Skill Up
  • Rock Paper Shotgun
  • Edge
  • Bloomberg
  • Axios
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
lmao. You know their are wayyyy more people then that that got codes. Come on now. Try a bit harder. Skill Up is being punished for saying hes going to be hostile towards future Bethesda games

Tripolygon

Banned
"Most people"?

• KidSmoove
  • Nick Spheshal
  • Stevivor
  • Rand
  • Jez Cordon
  • Colt Eastwood
  • Metro
  • The Guardian
  • Skill Up
  • Rock Paper Shotgun
  • Edge
  • Bloomberg
  • Axios
On one hand I don't let reviews cloud my judgement of games in general, so I don't care who gets review codes. On the other hand, this is wild.

skit_data

Whatever Bethesdas previous relations to these reviewers is/was, it should come as no surprise that not providing them with a code when under the Xbox banner will be met with criticism and skepticism.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
lmao. You know their are wayyyy more people then that that got codes. Come on now. Try a bit harder. Skill Up is being punished for saying hes going to be hostile towards future Bethesda games
Just as there will be wayyy more people and sites that did not get codes.

Eotheod

Boohoo I didn't get my free game to review and potentially shift an entire developer's outcome. Heck I was a bloody game journalist back in the day and I never complained if we didn't get a code, just dealt with it and bought a copy of we wanted to review.

Boohoo I didn't get my free game to review and potentially shift an entire developer's outcome. Heck I was a bloody game journalist back in the day and I never complained if we didn't get a code, just dealt with it and bought a copy of we wanted to review.
These outlets must be harder up for money than I thought…

3liteDragon

Honest question, even if it's 86, is that bad?
86 is a great score, the problem with this game is the kind of expectations it has especially because it's an Xbox console exclusive. People are expecting it to be a 94-96 type game, I personally think it'll score anywhere from 85-90 after maybe 70 reviews.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
We only have 2,000+ twitter followers, and almost 7,700 followers on Instagram, that is pretty low, not even at 10K. Our highest is YouTube at almost 11,000 subscribers and our website gets less viewership than Instagram per month which is sad. I think I need to invest in some aggressive advertising, but the issue is money. All the giant woke-tard tech/media companies are eating up all the SEO and getting attention with their annoying outrage articles. Let me tell you man, the media is not your friend, they do not give a fuck about you, trust me. They want easy money and they do that by making people angry, I hate to tell you this but negativity gets so much attention and generates a stupid amount of traffic that it is unreal. We try to write a negative piece here and there, but we do it in a way where it riles up the fanboys without the political bullshit and we do it very rarely, otherwise it's difficult to survive sometimes. We have writers on all three big fronts, (PS, Nintendo, Xbox) we just sit there and brainstorm ideas and it usually works wonders. I am not gonna sit here and lie that console wars don't get any attention, they 100% do, especially on twitter and its also hilarious to watch people argue on instagram and flaming each other. Quite the entertainment.

As for how everything is being handled and paid for, well everything is out of pocket + reinvested back with whatever we make, we do not have any investors or any kind of crazy support. YouTube makes pathetic so called "income". We are an indie establishment that is by gamers for gamers and the internet is a very hyper competitive space. You have these tech giants with investors and crap and they throw money at everything and they also treat their employees like shit (we had people from gamerant and other known places come to us because of their treatment and keen gamer) and can afford all the SEO and advertising in the world. It's not as easy as people think it is.

Thankfully, we do have a loyal fanbase who loves the fact that we one of the very few if not the only ones in today's day that don't rely on stupid outrage political agenda clickbait bullshit, like every other website does. Anyways, I am gonna stop here because I don't want to turn this into an advert, but that's just who we are if you are curious.
I just subscribed to your YouTube channel.

cireza

Disagree. That way leads to chummy positive reviews and a cultivated ‘pet’ journalistic culture. People will think twice about criticising companies for fear of losing access. A free press is vital and I think all registered publications should receive a code if requested.

That goes for all publishers.
Disagree if you want, this wasn't an opinion but how it actually works.

RPS37

I still remember when Edge gave Callisto Protocol a like 3/10.

I’m exaggerating a little bit

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

You gotta watch out for the user who is literally a walking narrative.

I think everyone should get codes BUT if you are a website that did do some bullshit, that could affect your business you absolutely have the right to fuck with theirs.

If some person was being an deck about me and my fiance, you sure as shit ain't getting invited to my wedding to eat my food I've paid big money to deliver to you.

Bethesda is known to be petty as fuck. I will put money that if someone was to dig deep enough they would find out why these publications didn't get review code.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They didn’t lie though; Spencer himself admitted that they lacked games by saying that 2022 was “too light on games”
ItUxUWJ.jpg

That doesn't matter. You can't knock a piece of entertainment down becuase it's parent company hadn't released more games. That's irrelevent to the review of the product and downright unprofessional. If its true that metro did that then fuck them.

Does that mean if you release more games you get better review scores to your releases?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That doesn't matter. You can't knock a piece of entertainment down becuase it's parent company hadn't released more games. That's irrelevent to the review of the product and downright unprofessional. If its true that metro did that then fuck them.

Does that mean if you release more games you get better review scores to your releases?
goteem-go-team.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The funny thing is, with all this...how can we trust any of these reviewers. That's why steam is always the best gauge nowadays.

You can't trust any if these reviews now becuase, those who got codes could be hyped they got early review code (like any game) might be a fan of the platform or studio, which is less of a chance for Microsoft but still. Then there could be these "journalists" that are salty as fuck and purposefully go into the review, intentionally or not with a jaded view and thus mark down the score.

Basically, any review will be used for anyone's agenda and you're best to ignore it all and go with your own opinion or steam user reviews.

I fell for some high scoring reviews, and those games imo do not mirror their metacritic review scores at all. Basically, reviews are pointless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom