• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Downloadable Content Plans Revealed

Alienous

Looool. Horrible:

We can’t drive this part home enough: If you are planning to buy the game, but are skittish about pre-purchase, don’t be. As soon as the clock strikes midnight on 2/10/15, the FREE Monster Expansion Pack bonus goes away and it will run you over$14.99 to buy Behemoth, the fourth Monster, and the Savage Goliath skin after the fact. Think of it as us buying the first round for you. As a thank you.

http://evolvegame.com/news/the-evolve-digital-versions-breakdown

fxylk1kn.gif

Shit, I guess at least they're being transparent about it.

SerTapTap

Well, this is probably mostly 2K's doing and they bought the publishing rights to it/or the IP itself (dunno) during the THQ auction. Not sure TR had much choice.

How is 2K so two-faced? Their Wrestling stuff is total bullshit, but Borderlands (though yeah, it has plenty of DLC) and Rockstar stuff is awesome. Can't tell if they're a good publisher or not.

Wow, how generous of them.

If there's no good way, why do at all? I mean it's full priced game. MP-only, which I assume is cheaper than campaign based single player games.

Because without adding new content, MP only games will die off pretty quick- Titanfall suffered that fate some after.

Looool. Horrible:

We can’t drive this part home enough: If you are planning to buy the game, but are skittish about pre-purchase, don’t be. As soon as the clock strikes midnight on 2/10/15, the FREE Monster Expansion Pack bonus goes away and it will run you over$14.99 to buy Behemoth, the fourth Monster, and the Savage Goliath skin after the fact. Think of it as us buying the first round for you. As a thank you.

http://evolvegame.com/news/the-evolve-digital-versions-breakdown

"Don't be." Well, they've convinced me!

Gotta love pre-order culture.

Ferrio

Banned
Well, I mean... they're either selling new characters, new weapons, or new environments. There's no good way to do paid DLC in competitive multiplayer games.

Well you know they could have it NOT be paid and actually support their player base that paid full price for their game.

If there's no good way, why do at all? I mean it's full priced game. MP-only, which I assume is cheaper than campaign based single player games.

More money is preferable to less money.

Long-lasting releases and sustainable communities are not something publishers traditionally count on, nor care about.

Well you know they could have it NOT be paid and actually support their player base that paid full price for their game.
Players support the publisher, publishers do not support the players.
Going free-to-play is not the answer.

Haunted

For every (non-joking) "preorder cancelled" post, I'm a little bit relieved.

And a little bit shocked that you had it preordered in the first place. C'mon people, we've been over this time and time again now.

Hale-XF11

What a horrible marketing strategy. Worried about your pre-order bonus? Don't, because all those assholes that didn't pre-order our game are getting snubbed big-time, we promise.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I thought the purpose of making a game MP only was so that the budget wouldn't be inflated by the cost of a AAA campaign and this stuff could be in or added for free as time goes on.

Experien

For every (non-joking) "preorder cancelled" post, I'm a little bit relieved.

And a little bit shocked that you had it preordered in the first place. C'mon people, we've been over this time and time again now.

I pre-ordered it on Amazon to get into the Alpha/Beta and try it out for myself. No money shifted hands and it is now cancelled. :)

Z3M0G

This is free-to-play level transactions... on a $60 game.

WTF

This game needs to tank HARD This MUST NOT become the norm!

Alienous

I thought the purpose of making a game MP only was so that the budget wouldn't be inflated by the cost of a AAA campaign and this stuff could be in or added for free as time goes on.

I thought that was their thinking behind full retail price. "We'll have a $60 multiplayer-only game and we'll maintain that price, rather than it going to the bargain bin after a month, by constantly supplying DLC".

I guess not.

Haunted

Will check it out once they make it F2P six months down the line when the miniscule playerbase has dried up so they have to push the panic button.

Alternatively, will never check it out.

Your move, 2K.

Xater

Hopefully... HOPEFULLY... this is a sign that they have no plans to segment their user base by providing map DLC, and new maps will be free for everyone.

Hopefully...

The maps are free. Already confirmed.

So they won't split the community by making maps paid dlc.

But are the separate hunters and extra monster going to do just that?

No? You buy them and then you can play as them or not.

It's nice of them to make the maps free but clearly they just want to make that up by having high asking prices for those characters.

No wait, 2K...you do know I played this shit heap right?

With today's little announcement it will be a pleasure to see this game twist and burn. Ugh.

Being free-to-play has nothing to do with limiting your paid DLC to cosmetics (skins, accessories, weapon effects, etc.) and not gameplay-changing character unlocks and community-fracturing map unlocks..

Paid releases don't rely on a long-running community, whereas free-to-play games do. The design philosophies are at odds with eachother.

And it's easy to guess the sort of microtransactions 2K would come up with, after this thread.

The playerbase was going to be pretty small IMO, going to be even worse due to this.
You can play with anyone regardless of dlc. You can against the Behemoth, with a new hunter ally, with non of the dlc purchased yourself.

Hopefully... HOPEFULLY... this is a sign that they have no plans to segment their user base by providing map DLC, and new maps will be free for everyone.

Hopefully...

All maps will be free.

Additional monsters will be 14.99?? Additional hunters will be 7.49??
Whelp. I guess I'll be waiting for that 75% off sale in the Steam Winter sale.

I'm glad they're so upfront about being money-grubbing bastards.

The word about having to pre-order to get the 4th monster was enough for me to say no to this game.

All of these other details make me feel like I made the right decision.

Teeth

I'd be curious is the protracted development and repeated delays caused 2K to try to look for extra ways to drive the ASP up.

Dev time doesn't pay for itself.

Ha.

So what would someone who buys the base game after release actually get? No skins, four hunters and three monsters?
You can play with anyone who has the new hunters and monsters, you just can't play as them.

Makes me wonder how many "DLC class is OP" posts are gonna happen come release, rightfully or not.

kulapik

First round after paying $60 to enter the bar.

Kuni

This is pretty heavy... Sadly I lost interest when they indicated this was going to be the plan. Only a few monsters with more to come via dlc. I'll get monster hunter 4 instead :)

Silky

Banned

Hopefully...

Maps are free.

--

I went for moderate anticipation to 'fuck this shitty ass game'. I'll stick with Left 4 Dead 2.

Experien

So what would someone who buys the base game after release actually get? No skins, four hunters and three monsters?

Makes me wonder how many "DLC class is OP" posts are gonna happen come release, rightfully or not.

Nah, base game comes with 4 hunters and 1 monster unlocked and you have to grind to unlock the remaining 8 hunters and 2 monsters.

tl;dr 12 hunters, 3 monsters, 12 maps.

madjoki

Because without adding new content, MP only games will die off pretty quick- Titanfall suffered that fate some after.

Make content free? Or let's say make a level editor on 'outsource' that to community.
Multiplayer games market is pretty flooded.

Going free-to-play is not the answer.

Not necessarily free-to-play, but hats or gun skins can work on paid games too.

Thought not sure if it would work on consoles since there's no trading / market like on Steam.

But I think this is rather bad way to do extra content.

Top Bottom