• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Downloadable Content Plans Revealed

Z3M0G

So they won't split the community by making maps paid dlc.

But isn't having the separate hunters and extra monster as dlc going to do just that?

No, everyone will be forced to download the extra mega/gigabytes for those characters to continue playing the game (unless they are already on the disk paid for), you just need to pay to use them.
lol?

Silky

Banned
Did they give you a lot of extra content for free? I never played it on PC, only 360 so...

Yeah, they really wanted to make the DLC free for 360 but MS blue balled them.

Still, the DLC in Left 4 Dead 2 has way more value than this shit.

Silky

Banned
Wow. Holy shit. This is as bad as an Arc System Works fighting game in regards to it's DLC.

lmfao Turtle Rock pls

The alpha pretty much left me underwhelmed, so this only solidifies that I won't be getting it. I felt like I already played most of the game in that alpha anyways.

Ferrio

Banned
Wow. Holy shit. This is as bad as an Arc System Works fighting game in regards to it's DLC.

lmfao Turtle Rock pls

Thing is, ya arc is bad... but you generally pick one character and stick with them so DLC really doesn't affect you too much. Not quite the same with competitive FPS.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Already had a really bad feeling after the alpha, sadly this seems to confirm how aimless Evolve really is. I always hate to see a game fail, and was hoping that this was going to be the next Left 4 Dead, but things are looking pretty dire.

We can’t drive this part home enough: If you are planning to buy the game, but are skittish about pre-purchase, don’t be. As soon as the clock strikes midnight on 2/10/15, right before the review embargo lifts, the FREE Monster Expansion Pack bonus goes away and it will run you over$14.99 to buy Behemoth, the fourth Monster, and the Savage Goliath skin after the fact. Think of it as us buying the first round for you. As a thank you.
That quote was missing something so I added it myself.

GO's not F2P though. Sure, it's not full retail priced, but you still have to pay for it.

Not necessarily free-to-play, but hats or gun skins can work on paid games too.

Thought not sure if it would work on consoles since there's no trading / market like on Steam.

But I think this is rather bad way to do extra content.
Valve is always the exception, not the rule.

And I think Evolve's designed in way that would make traditional cosmetic DLC massively out of place... not to mention that they will be selling skins, but as only one part of their DLC strategy.
Nah, base game comes with 4 hunters and 1 monster unlocked and you have to grind to unlock the remaining 8 hunters and 2 monsters.

tl;dr 12 hunters, 3 monsters, 12 maps.

Oh I see. Thanks.

I didn't realise that there were unlockable classes.

hatchx

Banned
We can’t drive this part home enough: If you are planning to buy the game, but are skittish about pre-purchase, don’t be. As soon as the clock strikes midnight on 2/10/15, the FREE Monster Expansion Pack bonus goes away and it will run you over$14.99 to buy Behemoth, the fourth Monster, and the Savage Goliath skin after the fact. Think of it as us buying the first round for you. As a thank you.

Wow.

I can't possibly stay further away from this game. Not only does it look boring (I saw gameplay demos at Fan Expo) but this type of in-my-face DLC practice is enough to disgust me from giving it a second though.

If it's one thing we learned in 2014, it's that pre-ordering is a dangerous proposition.

We can’t drive this part home enough: If you are planning to buy the game, but are skittish about pre-purchase, don’t be. As soon as the clock strikes midnight on 2/10/15, the FREE Monster Expansion Pack bonus goes away and it will run you over$14.99 to buy Behemoth, the fourth Monster, and the Savage Goliath skin after the fact. Think of it as us buying the first round for you. As a thank you.

I can't stop re-reading this, it gets funnier every time.

dugdug

Banned
Its kinda sad that people are missing the more important part of this. Maps not being held back is a step worth applauding. They can sell all the skins and characters they want for all I care.

Disagree entirely. It's a prime example of "one step forward, two steps back."

Games like Starhawk said "all the maps are free" and...they just were...free! There wasn't any other insane shit like this. Turtle Rock / 2K are trying to make you think "aw, how nice of them" while hiding all of the other stuff behind a good will gesture at the top.

They can eat it.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Lets be honest when they announced free map packs we all knew hunters and monsters would cost. Why act like this is surprising?

Nibel

This is almost Watch_Dogs levels of content distribution. To get all the content they have created you have to buy the most expensive editon.

This is so unfair and reeks of greed; people will still support this though, and while I think it's their right to spend their money how they want, I expect things getting worse and worse with each major AAA release if strategies like these succeed.

Thing is, ya arc is bad... but you generally pick one character and stick with them so DLC really doesn't affect you too much. Not quite the same with competitive FPS.

How so? The whole game is class based, with role preference. Odds are good most play will want to stick with a certain role.

hawk2025

Lets be honest when they announced free map packs we all knew hunters and monsters would cost. Why act like this is surprising?

it's not the hunters/monsters stuff itself that's surprising. It's how it's set up:

- They are expensive
- The "savings" in the season pass are small
- The season pass doesn't even include the pre-order bonus, and doesn't include everything the game will offer: Apparently there's a fifth monster and MORE hunters in the "Monster race" edition.
- There's a ridiculous "buy it now" incentive going on with the pre-order bonus
- Pre-loading seems to be, hilariously, exclusive to one platform

The way it's being presented and packaged is ridiculous, not the concept itself of free maps + paid characters.

Silky

Banned

I'm assuming this is the approach that Evolve is going with their characters as well. Have you seen the shit they did with Chronophantasma?

Molemitts

I've not been following it much, so it may not be my place to talk, but this game looks worse and worse every time I see it.

Iorv3th

Why do they keep announcing DLC and Season Passes before a game is even released. We can't even get excited about playing the content that we purchase without filling like we aren't even getting the full product we paid for.

Have they really found that people won't buy a game unless DLC is announced in advance of it's release?

Already had a really bad feeling after the alpha, sadly this seems to confirm how aimless Evolve really is. I always hate to see a game fail, and was hoping that this was going to be the next Left 4 Dead, but things are looking pretty dire.

Valve will have you covered ...when they're ready.

This is almost Watch_Dogs levels of content distribution. To get all the content they have created you have to buy the most expensive editon.

This is so unfair and reeks of greed; people will still support this though, and while I think it's their right to spend their money how they want, I expect things getting worse and worse with each major AAA release if strategies like these succeed.

What's surprising is these price gouging tactics are getting worse.

Something tells me despite all the negative feedback across social media, these tactics are actually working.

EL CUCO

2T9dvOz.jpg

That was hard to read, and really cringly with that dont be afraid to pre-order BS.

Evolve is going to be cheap in a few months, and by then the community will be dead.

At this point in time I'm convinced 2K isn't a reference to a new millennium of publishing, but rather how many bits of content their games are broken into for DLC.

Sounds weird and I'm a little annoyed about it, but at least it's not maps. Either way, the beta is going to determine whether I pre-purchase or wait for reviews.

Kayant

Hahaha they cannot be seriously. This industry and pre-orders, DLCs... and it will only get worst :(

madjoki

And I think Evolve's designed in way that would make traditional cosmetic DLC massively out of place... not to mention that they will be selling skins, but as only one part of their DLC strategy..

I can't see why they couldn't do something similar (fitting to game and not simply copying model from Valve) and success in it.

Hrm. These uh, prices would make since if it was free to play. Like LoL or DotA. But...being a full priced game with additional charges for it being a small game? What's the base game have, 3 monsters, 4 hunters, and how many maps?

...Not a good deal at all.

I can't see why they couldn't do something similar (fitting to game and not simply copying model from Valve) and success in it.

For 2K, there'd be no reason to add more risk to Evolve by testing and pioneering new profit models when there's already tried-and-true revenue streams to pursue.

Gaming, in general, long ago decided this was the path we'd take. You know, horse armour and all that.

Hrm. These uh, prices would make since if it was free to play. Like LoL or DotA. But...being a full priced game with additional charges for it being a small game? What's the base game have, 3 monsters, 4 hunters, and how many maps?

...Not a good deal at all.
It's a bit better than that:
Nah, base game comes with 4 hunters and 1 monster unlocked and you have to grind to unlock the remaining 8 hunters and 2 monsters.

tl;dr 12 hunters, 3 monsters, 12 maps.

gioGAF

Wow, no thanks! I especially enjoy the whole "look at the value we are providing you" delusion they have going for themselves.

I do think they need to mention the Xbox a few more times within the article though, the name just does not come up enough, someone might get confused as to what platform offers the amazing exclusive preloading capability.

Top Bottom