• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Downloadable Content Plans Revealed

barit

Sounds about right compared to what LoL charges.

Err... LoL is F2P and I'm pretty sure you can't unlock any further characters in Evolve just by playing the game. In LoL you can unlock any character without spending any money.

What? This is an actual sentence approved for PR? I can't accept the nerve of 2K turning this in such a way, one might believe that we are actually imbeciles who fail to recognize this for what it is. Disgraceful. I'll keep that HD space open for Halo.

And whoever is comparing this to League of Legends, just stop. You're making yourself look stupid. Nobody's shelling out $60 for a shell of a game in LoL, free to play means exactly that. Give us a call when Evolve comes out for free, then I'll be happy to let them market skins and characters without complaint. What a rip off.

The Cowboy

Jesus, and i thought Titanfall got it wrong with being a new IP and having limited content at launch and a bad DLC plan to fill the game up to what it should have launched as - this game looks crazy. My interest went to pretty much zero, i may get it at some point in the inevitable complete edition whilst on a 75% off Steam sale - no way in hell I'll be buying this any time soon.

Hint to devs/publishers, do your new MP only IP content path/DLC like Plants vs Zombies GW - it actually works well like that.

vocab

All that dlc to break up the community. Hoorayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy The alpha didnt even work at all with the busted match making. Not a great first impression.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
All that dlc to break up the community. Hoorayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

The only silver lining to the way they're approaching this is that you can still play with anyone using the dlc hunters/monster and that all the maps will be free.

But that pricing is out of control.

I don't know. The prices are above what I was expecting. I am disappointed. I was expecting 5$ per hunter, 10$ per monster, with a 25-30$ pack that contained all 5.

So is the beta Xbox only? How long does it run? I'd like to try this game out

If you were in either Alpha you should receive a code in the next couple of days. 16-19 Pc, and 17- 19 PS4.

All that dlc to break up the community. Hoorayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

That's wrong, but thanks for the drive by shittery.

Allforce

This game has "extended server issues" written all over it. Trying to get their money before everyone can't connect for the first month.

Card Boy

Banned
Gez's Evolve Purchase Plans Revealed.

Not buying this. Dead MP within a month, mark my words. There will be tools claiming they can get into a game 'all the time' but trust me it will be dead.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The only silver lining to the way they're approaching this is that you can still play with anyone using the dlc hunters/monster and that all the maps will be free.

But that pricing is out of control.
What about balance? Wasn't the kracken noticibly stronger?

I feel like you eventually are kind of forced to buy it. Kind of like fighting games, you're not going to want to be locked out/gimped.

At least lol has so many characters that you don't feel bad from not throwing a bunch of money to unlock everything.

aeolist

Banned
I feel bad for turtle rock

same

this kind of thing is the publisher's call, i'm sure TR wants to get as many people playing the full game as possible

really they should have gone the CS:GO route if they wanted to make a competitive game with long legs. charge a lower price up front, support cosmetic purchases, and make anything that alters gameplay free.

madjoki

For 2K, there'd be no reason to add more risk to Evolve by testing and pioneering new profit models when there's already tried-and-true revenue streams to pursue.

Yes, I know that.
But this DLC model is way over priced and with full priced game. Other games are going way overboard with DLC.

$15 game with optional ~$2.5 skins? That wouldn't be so bad (basically CS:GO, without in-game economy).

It isn't worst thought, since maps won't be dividing player base.

But I don't expect very long live for this game, which is why I'm happy to skip it.

I think if they're going to be this aggressive about the pricing for post release characters and monsters, the base game should probably be more like $30-$40 instead of $60. $15 for a monster and $7.50 for a hunter is F2P pricing. Not DLC for a $60 game pricing.

The more I think about it, it confuses me. It's like that's what they wanted to do, except 2K got cold feet about the base game price, and never adjusted the DLC price to reflect it.

same

this kind of thing is the publisher's call, i'm sure TR wants to get as many people playing the full game as possible

really they should have gone the CS:GO route if they wanted to make a competitive game with long legs. charge a lower price up front, support cosmetic purchases, and make anything that alters gameplay free.

Too good of an idea, would never work.

I was hyped for this game last year, but every piece of news they drop squashes my initial impression. I will just watch this on youtube & twitch. No need to spend this kind of money with all the other stuff coming out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think if they're going to be this aggressive about the pricing for post release characters and monsters, the base game should probably be more like $30-$40 instead of $60. $15 for a monster and $7.50 for a hunter is F2P pricing. Not DLC for a $60 game pricing.

Yeah, that's the biggest blow I feel, especially as it mentions another monster and 2 hunters with that PC edition. If the pricing follows suit, you don't preorder or buy the season pass that is $30 for two monsters, $7.49 each for 6 hunters which is $75 put together--which is waaaaaay too high.

What about balance? Wasn't the kracken noticibly stronger?

I feel like you eventually are kind of forced to buy it. Kind of like fighting games, you're not going to want to be locked out/gimped.

At least lol has so many characters that you don't feel bad from not throwing a bunch of money to unlock everything.

If any of the hunters or monsters end up being very noticeably more powerful and aren't tweaked in a balance patch I'd say that's already really bad for the game's life, even before DLC. I'll have to see in the beta but I know they were tweaking damage values with the kraken.

Henkka

Banned
Exclusive digital pre-purchase? 14.99$ for a finished, playable monster? Gee, this overwhelming air of corporate cynicism really makes me excited for your game!

Lol 2K you want to buy me the first round? I want shots of Patrón, not fucking Smirnoff.

Kobe-Reaction1.gif

Oh when I brought up concerns in several places about this kind of stuff in the game during the closed beta I got reamed because "it's only beta" the game will ship with LOADS of content.

Oh internet.

Oh when I brought up concerns in several places about this kind of stuff in the game during the closed beta I got reamed because "it's only beta" the game will ship with LOADS of content.

Oh internet.

No you didn't, because we've known exactly how much content the game would have since pre alpha.

3 monsters, 12 maps, 12 hunters.

Top Bottom