• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Downloadable Content Plans Revealed

dzelly

WTF. I honestly keep forgetting this game is coming out until I hear another piece of news about it.

This DLC crap has forced me to stick the probability of buying this pile into the recesses of my bowels. Maybe if I start a high-fiber diet I will want to buy it again someday.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So the beta is open to everyone as long as I have Gold, in EU too right? Can't wait to try the game with some gaffers. How long will it last?

Players who buy Regular Edition this players this Edition that Edition players who buy Edition just buy buy this Monster Edition that this and that blah blah fuck all of this crap. When I have to read a convoluted press release to know what's up and what I'm getting (maybe) and what I'm not getting (maybe) it's simply a deathblow toward any chance of me buying this that edition thing buy that.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I have a feeling they'll stop acting so high and mighty when the game's community evaporates a month after launch.

jelly

Players who buy Regular Edition this players this Edition that Edition players who buy Edition just buy buy this Monster Edition that this and that blah blah fuck all of this crap. When I have to read a convoluted press release to know what's up and what I'm getting (maybe) and what I'm not getting (maybe) it's simply a deathblow toward any chance of me buying this that edition thing buy that.

Yeah, it's just gobbledygook at this point.

zychi

Banned
Welp, looks like I'm waiting for the $5 bundle version come 2016 Summer Sale. Thanks for saving me more money 2k! Between this, NBA being a mess, and GTA being pushed back. I'm pretty much only buying 3 games this year!

xlom3000

sounds like a great reason wait for when the sale price + dlc is cheaper than the day 1 price. It looks like a super fun game to me personally, but I'm tired of these awful pre-order incentives.

The Lamp

Pathetic. They're basically asking me to commit to buying a game that I have zero indication of quality of in order to not miss out on a shit ton of content they are intentionally withholding from the release. This is the definition of shady shit. Will not buy at launch.

OldRoutes

Pathetic. They're basically asking me to commit to buying a game that I have zero indication of quality of in order to not miss out on a shit ton of content they are intentionally withholding from the release. This is the definition of shady shit. Will not buy at launch.

I don't think that content would be ready at release date... Where did you read it would?

Yeah, it's just gobbledygook at this point.

What gets me is that when they say "buy this edition and get (insert name of DLC here)." I mean, what the hell does it mean to me? I don't know what the "Leviathan Super Pack Double" is, therefore why on earth would I care whether or not I'm getting it in whatever version I decide on? It's like, oh man, better pre-order that version and get the Season Pass (because a lot of these AAA games are treated like they're theme parks where your $60 is merely to gain access to the park but not all the attractions) with a bunch of content on it that I have no way of knowing how good it will be, or if it's going to be worth it, or how long I'll be actually waiting for it.

There are just so many variables to these things and they expect you to be excited for all of it, when in reality, people just want to buy the game and not have to do research a truckload of bullshit.

Experien

That's an extraordinarily light amount of content I feel, especially for such a multiplayer-centric game.

In their defense...12 maps and we've only seen 4?

I've already cancelled my pre-order so I am not saying it is okay and full of content.

Wait, I haven't been following that closely (not a big MP FPS fan), but isn't this the game that pulled in all of those 'Best of Show' awards & shit from the various trade shows in 2014?

Sounds like Titanfall all over again.

Grief.exe

I wonder if they changed their plans slightly after the game was available for $5 on Steam for a while.

I'm sure that effected a small percentage of their total player population, not enough to sway their strategies moving forward.
To take part of that deal, you would have had to have been online during a small, thirty minute window, and trade across regions.

I'm sorry Xtortionist and Papercuts ya'll my dudes and I love ya'll

but no

i8T02WIMqbBJE.gif

Late Flag

This game was still marginally on my radar screen. Not anymore. There was never any chance that I was preordering anyway, and I'm sure as hell not paying full price for significantly less content, so I guess I'm out.

daammyy

Why do they keep announcing DLC and Season Passes before a game is even released. We can't even get excited about playing the content that we purchase without filling like we aren't even getting the full product we paid for.

Have they really found that people won't buy a game unless DLC is announced in advance of it's release?

This is kinda my issue aswell, i dont get why companies announce DLC so early. It really gives me the feeling of buying a game where they remove a part just to sell it to me again. Now ,im no developer but didnt Bioware do this with ME3 aswell and say that dlcs are worked on after the game has gone gold? Yet the dlc was in the game but you just had to have a code to unlock it.
I dont buy dlc's anymore :p

PS. Pardon my english, quite tired.

Wait, I haven't been following that closely (not a big MP FPS fan), but isn't this the game that pulled in all of those 'Best of Show' awards & shit from the various trade shows in 2014?

Sounds like Titanfall all over again.

Not sure what any of that has to do with the DLC pricing lol.

Why do they keep announcing DLC and Season Passes before a game is even released. We can't even get excited about playing the content that we purchase without filling like we aren't even getting the full product we paid for.

Have they really found that people won't buy a game unless DLC is announced in advance of it's release?

People tend to get rid of/trade in games they're done with if they don't know there will be support for it down the line. Knowing ahead of time that DLC is coming theoretically makes them hold on to the game longer as long as they're interested in DLC.

Developer: "So people are not buying our unfinished games"
Publisher: "Give them free pre-order DLC"
Developer: "Couldn't we just make sure to push release back to finish the game?"
Publisher: "No, I need my money NOW!"

This is a game that i was considering getting at some point but i don't think i will now. The alpha gameplay was fairly uninteresting and felt a bit repetitive although i still liked the idea, but the DLC being so expensive normally, the season pass containing very little content, the game itself also having very little content, the DLC seeming like content that was just removed from the game and one of the pre-order bonuses being the ability to skip some of the game are all things that make me not want to get it.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Klyka

Banned
Everything I've seen about the game so far makes playing as the monster unappealing. This does not help.

I had fun playing as the Goliath in the Big Alpha.
Then I noticed how buggy quite a few of the abilities are and how broken the third person camera with it's bad angle can make aiming your abilities.
Sometimes hitting that one long cooldown ability was the difference between you winning the round or dieing and the game went "oh you were aiming at those guys? nah you will not jump 1 m in front of you cause the camera put the target on this ledge" or my favorite "you want to aim at those guys? let me just put your huge ass model in front of your target cursor so you can't see where your jump goes".

The worst thing about all of this is that if the game was F2P or cheap I WOULD play it because I could get my friends to play it. But like this? Who is ever gonna play this with me? And random pubbies suck ASS in this game, it completely falls apart in random.

Day "whenever the GOTY version releases" purchase

I'm not exactly opposed to announcing DLC plans before release, or even a successful beta test... But the whole, "if you don't pre-order, you miss out on something massive" thing is screwed up. It's not just a skin. It's an entire monster, that should be coming with the full game, but will need to be purchased if you get it after launch.

What the hell

Not sure what any of that has to do with the DLC pricing lol.

Mostly that this is a full priced 'MP only' game that received a lot of early praise, yet the pre-order/DLC tactics to 'bulk' the overall value seem to be working against any built-up praise. Keep in mind, this is based solely at this point on reactions in this particular thread.

So I'm just wondering, for those following the game closely, if you can still be excited despite the ridiculous BS explained in the OP.
Reactions seem overwhelmingly negative, so the connection to Titanfall would be a heavily awarded (pre-release) game that could potentially land with a thud instead of becoming some kind of an instant classic.

I briefly watched some streams of the alpha & I thought it looked fun (maybe even tolerable for those like me who suck as MP FPS games), but I had no idea it would be a $60 game prior to this thread. :/

Klyka

Banned
Mostly that this is a full priced 'MP only' game that received a lot of early praise, yet the pre-order/DLC tactics to 'bulk' the overall value seem to be working against any built-up praise. Keep in mind, this is based solely at this point on reactions in this particular thread.

So I'm just wondering, for those following the game closely, if you can still be excited despite the ridiculous BS explained in the OP.
Reactions seem overwhelmingly negative, so the connection to Titanfall would be a heavily awarded (pre-release) game that could potentially land with a thud instead of becoming some kind of I instant classic.

I briefly watched some streams of the alpha & I thought it looked fun (maybe even tolerable for those like me who suck as MP FPS games), but I had no idea it would be a $60 game prior to this thread. :/

I can't be excited because the fun I hoped I could have with my friends in the game is now impossible because there is no way to sell this game to anyone anymore.
It is too overpriced, too DLC infested and the entire concept of the game is just not worth the price of admission.

Reactions seem overwhelmingly negative, so the connection to Titanfall would be a heavily awarded (pre-release) game that could potentially land with a thud instead of becoming some kind of an instant classic.

I don't remember Titanfall's DLC tactics working against it's built up praise. Also, you can play this game single player with bots.

As to your second point: Definitely dampens mine. Mostly because if I end up liking the game's beta, I'll be facing some pretty hefty prices for DLC that I'll want. Also, I can tell being so aggressive about the pricing is going to turn off a lot of people which is going to hurt the player base which this game is going to live or die on. I also don't like missing out on significant content just because I didn't commit to a game before reviews were out.

After playing this game multiple times I can safely say that I do not want. What a disappointment. I was hyped for Turtle Rocks next game for years after they captivated me with L4D.

I don't remember Titanfall's DLC tactics working against it's built up praise. Also, you can play this game single player with bots.

As to your second point: Definitely dampens mine. Mostly because if I end up liking the game's beta, I'll be facing some pretty hefty prices for DLC that I'll want. Also, I can tell being so aggressive about the pricing is going to turn off a lot of people which is going to hurt the player base which this game is going to live or die on. I also don't like missing out on significant content just because I didn't commit to a game before reviews were out.

Agreed.
It just sends a confusing message all around & could especially turn away gamers (like myself) that have a distant, albeit curious, interest, yet might feel like they need to get a bunch of DLC on top of full price to get the complete worth from the game.
All the 'best of show' awards in the industry can't make up for the feeling of getting hustled.

It would be a shame if the final product & Turtle Rock's hard work is damaged by 2k's greedy antics.

Top Bottom