• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exremely slow PS4 download speed

kmg90

After doing a bit of digging into this issue (which has been driving me nuts the past 2 weeks) it appears the akamai connections are being extremely throttled/limiting in terms of overall connection speeds. I'll post more later as I have meeting to go to....

TruthasaurusRex

Neo Member
So I am downloading PS+ games, check the speed, and it's exactly like the OP.

Getting around 400KB download speed, I'm on a 50Mb connection so my download should be about 7MB.

Fake edit: It suddenly picked up speed and downloaded a few seconds as I typed this... WTF!

Downloading Escape Plan, which is a few GB's, also starting slow, I'll see if it picks up.

Edit: The speed randomly goes up, then back down. I don't know why... like, for a few seconds I get max download speed, then it crawls back down.

The exact thing has been happening to me lately. Will creep around 250-300KB for a good minute and then kick back up to 7MB and then back down again.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just grabbed the Crew beta last night, and it took 15 minutes to download it's 4 gigs.

This is on a wired 2.01 PS4 through Time Warner in Brooklyn.

kmg90

I was about half way through writing up that something must be going on with Akamai servers that distribute for PSN.

But now I think something happened with the networking stack for 2.00+

Because just for sake of eliminating/working around the 200-300KB/s transfer speeds I tried an old trick/workaround that works with PS3 (of which I thought would never have to be used again with PS4)

Proxying the connection to local network (privoxy) server yields higher more consistent speeds (even through Akamai which are the servers that get at most 1MB/s but avg at 200-300KB/s) between 5-8MB/s of which is my provisioned speed.

I did observe a permanent drop for one of the downloads at one point to 1.5MB/s - 2MB/s on an Akamai connection of which I reset the network connection and had a much better subsequent connections.

Explaining why you can experience erratic transfer speeds (more so with 2.00 update) is that the PS4 is constantly cycling/refreshing the download connection (not sure if it does this on purpose or due to networking issues) which can result in switching between CDNs that PSN uses; my ISP/location is setup with Limelight Networks and Akamai.

It is not switching by system software design but by how DNS queries of the PSN backbone domains (zeus, apollo, poseidon, ares).

kmg90

I've had a time or two where I paused the DL and resumed it and it sped up.

Yeah that's due to your system getting different servers every time downloads are started/paused/resumed

Some akamai servers are not operating correctly atm (overloaded, bad routes/peering or something else) that is causing downloads speeds seem like we are back 2001 DSL

Yoday

Yeah that's due to your system getting different servers every time downloads are started/paused/resumed

Some akamai servers are not operating correctly atm (overloaded, bad routes/peering or something else) that is causing downloads speeds seem like we are back 2001 DSL
So does that mean that when downloading over PSN we are constantly getting rerouted to a different server, and the sudden drops to around 400KB/s are because the server we just got connected to is messed up?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm not very happy about this. I just upgraded to 100mbs down/ 6mbs up so that I could get my downloads faster, and I'm now getting them MUCH slower.

Anyone who's saying this is on the PSN servers and not the patch is crazy.

I had no problems with my DL speeds prior to 2.0, and now with 2.0 and then 2.01 they are just all over the place, but most often they seem to be 300 - 500 kbps.

I was (and should be) getting 3 MB/s down prior to the firmware updates. Something is clearly buggered. This Alien Isolation patch is 800 MB and has been downloading for like 15 minutes now. Should have taken 5

Just posting here again to confirm that the downloads have not fixed yet.

I am trying to download The Crew Beta and it is just 3 GB yet it is taking far longer than it should. Out of all the issues with the 2.0 firmware, this one is easily the worst. Can't even imagine purchasing a digital game and downloading it considering their absurd sizes.

Fix this shit Guerrilla.

Mutombo

Sucks that it's a common problem for PS4 owners.

There is a DNS discussion out there; that if you change your DNS settings that the download speed goes up.

It worked for me, it has worked for others. The discussion is however that this shouldn't have to matter.

Another problem I have is using Share Play. Awesome function, but I've tried hosting it and joining a host and we both got the error that our connection speeds were to slow. Which, in 2014, is probably bullshit.

This also seems a common problem. Has anyone here encountered this and mayhap found a solution to this problem?

Dizzy

Banned
I hooked mine up via ethernet this time. Every other wi-fi device in the house was turned off. I even took my phone off wi fi. Estimated download speed is usually something like 26mbps.

When downloading sometimes it looks like 3-4mbps but then it randomly drops to what looks like 500kbps for a while. I'n fact I'd say its in the 500kbps range about 60/70% of the time.

Mastperf

Yeah,still not working right here either. I get 300k per sec then a jump to 6 or 7 megabyte per second then back to 300k. I could live with 6 or 7 megabyte per sec. until it's fixed if it was sustained but the massive drop-offs are killing it.

funkypie

Banned

There is a DNS discussion out there; that if you change your DNS settings that the download speed goes up.

It worked for me, it has worked for others. The discussion is however that this shouldn't have to matter.

Another problem I have is using Share Play. Awesome function, but I've tried hosting it and joining a host and we both got the error that our connection speeds were to slow. Which, in 2014, is probably bullshit.

This also seems a common problem. Has anyone here encountered this and mayhap found a solution to this problem?

whenever I change my internet settings to manual I get nat type 3 no matter what. I've port forwarded the ps4, I've put it in dmz mode, no matter what I do, I get nat type 3. So i'm stuck using my default dns settings.

Mastperf

My ISP's DNS servers are faster than the others according to the DNS benchmark software so it was no help to me. I tried Google anyway but it didn't help. What speed is the upload on your internet package? I've read others on here say you need 5mbps up but others have said they were able to use it without meeting that requirement.

Most ISPs have their own internal caches of the major CDNs like Akamai and Limelight to save money, which is why PSN speed is so variable for most people - its entirely down to your ISP and how much resource is behind those mirrors (and to an extent, what other products/services are using the same CDNs). Or for smaller ISPs, how good their local peering is to the public intances of those CDNs.

It also explains why changing DNS sometimes gives you better results, as its likely the cache your PS4 uses will change. Just an unfortunate function of not owning your own cloud architecture to run on, you don't get to decide how its shared or resourced...

Yoday

While changing those settings may net higher speeds for those that have abnormally low speeds to begin with, it's not a fix for the fluctuating speed problems. I don't need to raise my speeds on PSN, as it tends to max out my 50mbps connection. What I need is for that speed to not drop to 400KB/s for extended amounts of time sporadically throughout a download. That issue, which a lot of people are having, started as soon as 2.0 hit.

I have around 120GB worth of games pre-ordered on PSN that I need to download over the next week or so, and it would have been nice if I could have done that without my download speeds being dropped from 6MB/s to 400KB/s during half of the download time.

Lucifon

Most ISPs have their own internal caches of the major CDNs like Akamai and Limelight to save money, which is why PSN speed is so variable for most people - its entirely down to your ISP and how much resource is behind those mirrors (and to an extent, what other products/services are using the same CDNs). Or for smaller ISPs, how good their local peering is to the public intances of those CDNs.

It also explains why changing DNS sometimes gives you better results, as its likely the cache your PS4 uses will change. Just an unfortunate function of not owning your own cloud architecture to run on, you don't get to decide how its shared or resources..

This thread isn't about general slow psn speeds though. It's about the direct correlation for some users between 2.0 and dramatically slower speeds.

If someone isn't having the issue that's great, but it doesn't help those which are.

barit

Geez I really want to know WTF Sonys problem is. PSN is slow as fuck, Messages getting timeouts, DriveClub MP is down again even after 1 month from release. This shit is unacceptable. I'm really getting mad now. Wanted to play a session with a friend, he even bought the damn game for that and NOTHING works. Arrrgh

Hollow

I've noticed this after 2.0 as well.

My download speeds before 2.0 where fine but after the update they just crawl.

Same as everyone else, download speeds have been slow ever since 2.0 and still not fixed. What's weird is my roommate has his PS4 in the same room on the same Wi-Fi and is experiencing no problems.

Aces&Eights

I just downloaded Unity today and the numbers were jumping from 3-4 MB per second to .1 a second. I thought it was my internet so I rebooted my modem and it did the same thing. After I got half way though the download then it was going fairly fast.

One thing to double check, too, is that all other devices are off. I had my computer on and even though I was not browsing it was still sucking up bandwidth for the weather icons and stuff. My phone as well. Turning off anything sucking a signal from your router really helps.

As posted above, go wired. My PS4 is 5 feet from my cable modem so I just run a short ethernet. With the obscene amounts of throughput needed for 40GB games and OS features it's best to go the path of least resistance.

Morac

Neo Member
I've been having problems with slow downloads for a few weeks. I have a 100 Mbps connection from Comcast and my PS4 is wired. I've done some investigating and here's what I've found.

Sony uses (at least) two CDNs for downloads: Akamai Networks and Limelight Networks. Akamai is horrible, with speeds maxing out at about 2 Mbps. At that speed it takes 68 minutes to download 1 GB. edit: just saw the same slow, fast, alternating with Akamai. Limelight is much better, but inconsistent. I see speeds upwards of about 40 Mbps on Limelight, which can download 1 GB in under 4 minutes, but I'm not seeing that consistently. I've also found that downloads start at very slow speeds won't ramp up for about a minute or two.

Yesterday I tried to download a 3 GB game and it was going at 2 Mbps. It was downloading from Akamai and said it would take 8 hours. I paused and restarted and then it said it would take about 30 minutes and had switched to downloading from Limelight.

Today I was downloading at 5 GB update from Limelight and it downloaded at 2 Mbps for awhile, then jumped to 33 for awhile and then back to 2. It's like speeds were being throttled at times. This repeated throughout the download and it ended up downloading in under an hour, but it should have only taken about 15 minutes.

I'm pretty sure the problem is with the CDNs, but there are some other things that can affect speeds:

1. As Akamai and Limelights' servers are spread through out the world, the speed one person gets won't necessarily match what others get as both CDNs try to route to the closest physical server based on your location. DNS is used to get your location, so if you change your DNS servers, you could end up downloading from a far away server, which will slow things down. For example switching to Google's DNS servers can route you to a CDN server halfway across the country (or world). This would normally be worse, though in some cases it can be better (see next #2)

2. Misconfigured or broken routing can also screw up speeds. For example, a few years back, I couldn't get more than about 200 Kbps on downloads from Limelight Networks during the day. That affected my downloads and streams from Amazon, Sony and other companies. Turned out there was a routing problem between the local Limelight servers (which I was getting directed to) and Comcast in my area. Once that was fixed, speeds went back to normal.

By the way, you can test speeds in the PS4's web browser at http://testmy.net, though it seems to be lower than would be expected.

Mastperf

It's the worst possible time to be getting slow and inconsistent speeds with so many games releasing. I thought they would have it fixed before the big titles hit but I guess not. Trying to download 40+GB games at a small fraction of your normal bandwidth is painful.

jonno394

I too have found this since the last firmware update. I have to pause and resume downloads several times before my speed gets back up to the 5/6 mb/s it used to achieve straight away before. Sometimes likes to crawl at 1 or 2 mb/s part way through download still :/

Rather annoying. Sat here waiting for a 2gb Black flag download to complete.

Idba

When connected to my room i get wirelessly about 15 mb up with mu current router. With ethernet i get about 40 mb up. Im currently paying for 75 75 but, my provider upgraded me to 100 up and down fiber for free and gave me a 60% discount on a new Asus router, so when that arrives id get about 50-60 up wirelessly. Also COD AW multiplayer (13 gigs) took about one hour while i was watching white collar on popcorntime.

Norwegian fiber for tha win

Even PS3 downloads seem to be affected. I usually have great speeds here in SE Asia but lately it has just sucked. Took me almost 24 hours to download 6GB and have another 20GB to go on the games I just bought. This is ridiculous. Normally they would be finished and I would happily be gaming right now.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next firmware update. Does sony even know about this issue? Seems to be affecting a lot of people not just on GAF. Tried changing the DNS to Google and opendns but it done nothing...actually I think it made it even slower.

I want to go back to pre-2.00 firmware where everything was flying.

Calabi

I just got upgraded to 150mb speeds. Its completely useless with the ps4, what should take only ten minutes to download is taking over half an hour. Surely giving the full speed to whom can take it puts less stress overall upon the servers.

What it seems to me is that with the latest updates Sony is limiting the download and upload speeds in order to decrease server load. It's definetely NOT a coincidence that every PS4 started crawling on download speeds after these updates. This is intentional.

Instead of upgrading their servers... good job Sony. -_-

Footos22

I dunno about slow tbh. I downloaded 9GB on my 20 mb connection. In the time it took to do 2 missions on advanced warfare.

Tratorn

Everything on Playstation is slow, and has been since the PS3. Used to it now

Not really, download speeds were great some weeks ago on PS4. I was happy that they fixed this on their successor (was awful on PS3 sometimes), but now they f*ed it up again.

Danlord

I am having the same issue on my PS4 since 2.00 launched. UK here. 72Mb/s download and 20Mb/s upload connection on BT.

Before Firmware 2.00, downloads would instantly start at around 3MB/s and then climb to 5MB/s and stay that high.
Now, every single download starts really slowly, about 200kB/s until after a bit where it goes back to my normal connection speed.

Purely conjecture, but I think with 2.00 they've adjusted the speed of each connection initially to ease load, given PS4's success with almost 8m PS+ subscriptions and Sony aren't as prepared to handle the load.

Morac

Neo Member
There's definitely some kind of throttling going on. I'm currently downloading 2 updates and the speeds are alternating between 67 Mbps and 4 Mbps. That matches what I saw when downloading one update (33 Mbps and 2 Mbps). The interesting thing is both downloads drop down to 2 Mbps (4 total) at the same time and both go back up to 33 Mbps (67 Mbps) at the same time.

The fact that the PS4 is downloading both updates at the same exact speed indicates some kind of throttling per download. I don't know if it's on the client (PS4), ISP (Comcast) or CDN (Limelight) end. All I know is that the PS4 is capable of high download speeds, even under 2.0.2.

Yoday

I've been having problems with slow downloads for a few weeks. I have a 100 Mbps connection from Comcast and my PS4 is wired. I've done some investigating and here's what I've found.

Sony uses (at least) two CDNs for downloads: Akamai Networks and Limelight Networks. Akamai is horrible, with speeds maxing out at about 2 Mbps. At that speed it takes 68 minutes to download 1 GB. edit: just saw the same slow, fast, alternating with Akamai. Limelight is much better, but inconsistent. I see speeds upwards of about 40 Mbps on Limelight, which can download 1 GB in under 4 minutes, but I'm not seeing that consistently. I've also found that downloads start at very slow speeds won't ramp up for about a minute or two.

Yesterday I tried to download a 3 GB game and it was going at 2 Mbps. It was downloading from Akamai and said it would take 8 hours. I paused and restarted and then it said it would take about 30 minutes and had switched to downloading from Limelight.

Today I was downloading at 5 GB update from Limelight and it downloaded at 2 Mbps for awhile, then jumped to 33 for awhile and then back to 2. It's like speeds were being throttled at times. This repeated throughout the download and it ended up downloading in under an hour, but it should have only taken about 15 minutes.

I'm pretty sure the problem is with the CDNs, but there are some other things that can affect speeds:

1. As Akamai and Limelights' servers are spread through out the world, the speed one person gets won't necessarily match what others get as both CDNs try to route to the closest physical server based on your location. DNS is used to get your location, so if you change your DNS servers, you could end up downloading from a far away server, which will slow things down. For example switching to Google's DNS servers can route you to a CDN server halfway across the country (or world). This would normally be worse, though in some cases it can be better (see next #2)

2. Misconfigured or broken routing can also screw up speeds. For example, a few years back, I couldn't get more than about 200 Kbps on downloads from Limelight Networks during the day. That affected my downloads and streams from Amazon, Sony and other companies. Turned out there was a routing problem between the local Limelight servers (which I was getting directed to) and Comcast in my area. Once that was fixed, speeds went back to normal.

By the way, you can test speeds in the PS4's web browser at http://testmy.net, though it seems to be lower than would be expected.
This is extremely interesting. If this is why we are getting such rapidly fluctuating speeds, then there isn't really anything we can do about it, is there? What I don't understand is why this would have become a problem right when 2.0 hit. Could it be that the firmware screwed up the routing process (hopefully this can be fixed), and if that is the case, why are we being rerouted so often anyway?

geordiemp

UK Fibre (Bt home hub 5) get 75 mb download about 40 upload. London

On Ps4 I increased my speeds and now get 50 download and 25 upload most of the time.

+ Changed MTU to 1492 (find you max size by ping test and add 28)
+ changed Ps4 t have direct IP address

Runs faster now when testing internet via Ps4 or in browser speed test

(used to get 6 up 16 down before I optimise MTU and used direct IP)

Mengetsu

Does anyone at Sony know about this? Since 2.0 and not a responce from them on the matter? I was great before with my 16GB games taking 35-40 minutes at most and now it will take more than 3 hours...

It would be cool if they just implemented a download manager style split of the download connections. Everyone would max out that way.

I wonder if it's possible to do this via PC proxy?

Top Bottom