• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck Konami: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via macrotransactions

WTmGkGe.png

This tweet cracks me up. That PR speak.

Well, my Metal Gear platinum combo was broken when I started MGS3 vita without transfarring letting me get the trophies I earned. I am starting a new job soon, and I already don't play games much so I don't see me getting 100% completion for V.

MrHoot

Well I for one am happy that konami did this...

..because next time I hear some dummie saying that microtransactions are fine in a 60$ game and that it won't lead to stupid bullshit, i can just plaster this stuff all over the thread

Boke1879

So much for the bullshit Sean Eyestone said at E3 i.e "rest assured everything can be unlocked through playing the game... No pay to win" and the bullshit statement Konami made about gamespots "false" report that microtransactions are "simply accelerators"
FUCK KONAMI

Technically he never lied

It can, but it will be much harder. The gadgets, gear, weapons and tools are even more important in this game than any other Metal Gear.

Really? Can't you just be super, insanely good at the game's stealth elements without needing to use every gadget that requires a research upgrade? MGS games in the past certainly rewarded players for getting things done with the very basics of equipment, does V break that tradition by locking essentials behind an f2p wait timer?

This guide states it was:

"Written in conjunction with the Metal Gear Solid V development team and offering exclusive game data and insights not available elsewhere."

What I meant to say was that Konami's marketing department probably didn't have much to do with the production of the strategy guide, and that department would be the one to worry about things like the wording of "real life money."

Edit: I think there's now a bitter part of me that is annoyed at how high this game was scored given crap like this
I think it might be on people's minds when GOTY awards are coming around too. A great game but do I give my GOTY vote to a game with crap like this?

Damerman

The gist I'm getting is that the system was balanced around players getting a few FOB outposts to multiply gains, but that this purchase system means a game that's normally beatable in a reasonable amount of time becomes a huge grind for no reason. We don't know for sure yet, but that level 4 command post thing...I really hope that's not a requirement for beating the game's extra ending. That'd suck.
This. The time wall seems gratuitous. 96 hours to unlock stuff?

This is bullshit.

majik13

They can still design it so not having those short cuts becomes a terrible grind.

well yeah, but that's not the point I am making. They reassured people that whats mentioned in the OP would not be the case, that you are not locked out of anything but now it looks like it is.

Does it all come down to how much GMP you have or are there more resources?

There's GMP (which is basically currency to do everything) and then there's other resources you need to collect as well to expand MB or to build things, they are found in containers around the world.

I feel like "boycotting" a game for only one reason is kind of dumb. "I like all the things about this item except this one part that is optional, so I'm just not going to buy the thing at all." If you don't like the microtransaction stuff, just don't participate in it. Not buying the game is a vast overreaction IMO. But hey, you are free to spend your money however.

Protome

So much for the bullshit Sean Eyestone said at E3 i.e "rest assured everything can be unlocked through playing the game... No pay to win" and the bullshit statement Konami made about gamespots "false" report that microtransactions are "simply accelerators"
FUCK KONAMI
Uh...everything they said was true though? They are just accelerators and you can get everything through gameplay. It sounds just like the final Base upgrades take forever (and are inessential.)

It's still not as bad as the ZEKE grind in Peace Walker.

Well, we can all hope this is the last video game Konami every publishes. I'm done with them after this one. What a complete joke. To think FOB invasions were one of the reasons I was interested in this game as well.

Kssio_Aug

I thought this FOB thing would only affect the MP. Well, if it does affect campaign I will wait till the game gets cheaper and people to greenlight it won't affect much of my SP experience.

Does it all come down to how much GMP you have or are there more resources?

Resources, at some point i had to stop spending GMP carelessly,only buying things i actually will use, which is fine.

But resources are like,
-non playable quest takes 30 minutes
-25% chance of getting 300 fuel
-You need 18000 fuel for your next "medic bay" upgrade

I had no intention of bothering with this nonsense anyway. Sorry to all the folks that were looking forward to it, however. That's pretty shitty.

Really? Can't you just be super, insanely good at the game's stealth elements without needing to use every gadget that requires a research upgrade? MGS games in the past certainly rewarded players for getting things done with the very basics of equipment, does V break that tradition by locking essentials behind an f2p wait timer?

It's open world now, so like I said, it's certainly possible, but enemies actually adapt to what you do.
If you keep shooting them in the head with your silenced tranq, they will wear helmets, if you shotgun your way through a lot of enemies, they will wear body armour and so on and so forth. The enemy AI is also a cut above the rest of the series. Also, Big Boss goes down relatively quickly, his health is definitely more limited compared to in past Metal Gear games.

It's definitely the toughest Metal Gear to date. And this "free to wait for hours" crap isn't helping matters.

Famassu

There really needs to be a wall of shame of people who buy that 80$ currency pack and thus support this kind of shit.

Oh well, not like I was gonna get this game anytime soon. Will probably have to wait for Summer 2016.

213372bu

Banned
Internet reaction is going to cause this to be abstained from the game and people who bought into it are going to be compensated. This will include Youtube personalities and fanbase getting upset that we were told we could unlock everything in the game without micro transactions

Anybody wanting to make bets* until how long until their hand is forced?

*Rhetorical, obv.

MrHoot

I feel like "boycotting" a game for only one reason is kind of dumb. "I like all the things about this item except this one part that is optional, so I'm just not going to buy the thing at all." If you don't like the microtransaction stuff, just don't participate in it. Not buying the game is a vast overreaction IMO. But hey, you are free to spend your money however.

The "Don't like it, don't buy it" mentality stopped working for AAA a looooong time ago

Ridley327

Uh...everything they said was true though? They are just accelerators and you can get everything through gameplay. It sounds just like the final Base upgrades take forever (and are inessential.)

It's still not as bad as the ZEKE grind in Peace Walker.

Getting a stock ZEKE wasn't that bad. Getting the custom parts, though? RNGesus will never favor you, especially for those damn Peace Walker legs.

It's not just the microtransactions, it's the effect they have on the single player part of the game.

Majora

120 hours to build something doesn't sound right. I'm building platform 2 of my R&D unit right now and it's 2 real-life hours. It would be a huge leap to 120 real-life hours.

Not that I'm defending something taking two real-life hours to build because it's still trying to push players to pay to speed things up. But 120 hours just doesn't sound plausible to me.

Kriken

I think it might be on people's minds when GOTY awards are coming around too. A great game but do I give my GOTY vote to a game with crap like this?

There's a part of me thinking that the game is transcendent for me to give my #1 vote to a $60 game that encourages microtransactions

RK9039

Resources, at some point i had to stop spending GMP carelessly,only buying things i actually will use, which is fine.

But resources are like,
-non playable quest takes 30 minutes
-25% chance of getting 300 fuel
-You need 18000 fuel for your next "medic bay" upgrade

Right, I see now. I thought it was just GMP for the singleplayer.

They have just been on a role with their value proposition for the Metal Gear Solid series. $40 demo has you upset? K, $30 then.

Thank you for your minimum $60 purchase(not even considering the CE edition). Is MB not developing quick enough for you or you want to expand the FOB? $23.95 please.

I'm not getting the CE edition, but they should have included something for those people that spend that much on this. It makes the value of those version even worse. The CE at a minimum should include all that with what they are selling it at.

Kirye

It basically costs $24.

What?! Fuck that noise, fuck that noise so hard.

God I really want this game, I know it's Kojima's last MGS and from what reviews are saying I know it's going to be amazing... but Konami is REALLY ruining this game for me.

Top Bottom