• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-ZERO (SNES) is 30 cents FEB 20th to MAR 21st on the Wii U eShop

Terrell

Despite the fact that I think the series' potential didn't show through until F-Zero X, I must admit that this is still one of the hardest racing games ever made.

igV9NvpA1Gcc1.jpg

teeny

Have you tried using the L and R buttons instead of d-pad left and right, or vice versa?

Thanks for the response. I almost kicked myself when you said to use the d-pad, but it still did not work, unfortunately. Thanks though.

pulsemyne

I need help. I can't even beat the Sandy course. How the L/R works? And generally any tips/guides?

If your coming up to a really tight corner then using the L/R is vital but only if you stop accelerating. Don't brake as it's pointless. Just stop accelerating and glide around the corner with the L/R.
The real pro's though use a combination of L/R and repeatedly tapping the accelerator button. It helps corner sharper and keeps your speed up a bit.
Learning the tracks is also a big plus. Once you know when a corner is coming up you can prepare yourself and really cut it. It's one of the keys to getting a fast time. As is boosting over dirty areas so that you cut the corners (mute city one is a perfect example of this).
F-zero is all about maintaining as much speed when cornering while making sure you cut it as fine as possible. Just like mario kart snes it's a time trial wet dream.

Yes Boss!

BRAKE! For the love of all that's holy, learn to use the brake!!

I'd forgo the brake entirely. It is not really needed in the game....it is just extra and ultimately useless. Better to just quickly tap the throttle rapidly around sharp turns combined with the air-brakes.

teeny

This is a little bit off topic, but someone here might know.

Does anyone know if there are legitimate cheats for Maximum Velocity on GBA/3DS? I enjoy playing these games, but am not very good, and I want to unlock all of the hidden courses.

I have found a code listed on numerous sites that says to push B, L, B, A, R, B(2), A(2) at the title screen, but cannot get it to work. Either I am being incredibly thick, or the code is a dud. Does anyone have any ideas?

On topic, the SNES game is amazing. I'm still not very good, but the save states help with that. Glad to get the "proper" version, too, hopefully they continue that with all VC releases.

Found some French forum posts that seem to indicate these codes are useless, despite many cheat sites listing them. Ah well, nevermind, I will have to accept the fact I will never play Queen Series :)

iidesuyo

Such a great game. I totally suck at playing it by now, barely got 1st place in easy mode.

Best F-Zero game, the successors don't even come close.

Fandangox

I guess it's pure nostalgia but I didn't like the successors that much. I also like Mario Kart SNES better than their successors, too.

F-Zero X was a great game that if I recall correctly managed 60 frames per second with 30 racers on the scree, which was a bid deal at the time I think. They had to sacrifice graphics in order to do that.

GX was an extremely good follow up that looked great, was really challenging, played smoothly and had a good amount of content.

Plus GX/AX were just so damn satisfying to play as.

Excellent! No complaints from me. Bring on the VC with decent prices, and I'll fall in love with Wii U.

Sweet. Yeah one of my most anticipated things about the Wii U is having access to all of those classics on the game pad screen, which is better suited for that kind of resolution, and then the new HD stuff on the TV or on the game pad. It's just the most awesome thing to me, like the perfect way to combine old and new games. I really can't wait to get a Wii U and have all those games ready to go on the game pad.

iidesuyo

F-Zero X was a great game that if I recall correctly managed 60 frames per second with 30 racers on the scree, which was a bid deal at the time I think. They had to sacrifice graphics in order to do that.

Yeah but therefore it was ugly. And I'm talking about pure fun not graphics...

But it's a matter of taste as usual.

Fandangox

Yeah but therefore it was ugly. And I'm talking about pure fun not graphics...

But it's a matter of taste as usual.

I wasn't even an attack on the game, I was praising the decisions to put gameplay first on that game, since it created the opportunity for the sequel to expand on X's gameplay.

Madao

X is one of the few N64 games that still looks playable thanks to 60 fps. other games like OoT are almost a slideshow in comparison.

btw, GX didn't add anything to the X gameplay. it uses the same moves and controls and does a couple things differently. the area where it had a lot of room to grow was graphics.

Fandangox

X is one of the few N64 games that still looks playable thnaks to 60 fps. other games like OoT are almost a slideshow in comparison.

btw, GX didn't add anything to the X gameplay. it uses the same moves and controls and does a couple things differently. the area where it had a lot of room to grow was graphics.

Yeah probably didn't phrase that correctly. I guess I should have not said gameplay for that point.

jwhit28

X is one of the few N64 games that still looks playable thnaks to 60 fps. other games like OoT are almost a slideshow in comparison.

I'd still rather play the game without the fog any day.

Madao

but X has no fog (very low compared to most other games at least. nowhere like things like turok)...
you can even see the distorting track in the background.

Asimov

Banned
Well... I already got this game and Balloon Fight, but there is something I want to say.

There is something about older games (specially NES games)... some of these games feel kinda... hollow, empty. Don't get me wrong, I have played these games before and I love F-Zero. But games like Balloon Fight and most of the VC games would really benefits if they had some sort of achievements/trophies.

Believe me, I really don't care about those useless points. But for these old games, we really need an incentive to actually buy them and play them. Most of NES can be obtained on the Internet for free (piracy, I know... I don't endorse it), so people need a very good reason to buy them, specially for $5.00 for each NES game.

I think some sort of achievements/trophies system for VC games would be ideal.

I just hope Nintendo is reading closely to the Miiverse community. And I hope the high sales of these VC games for $.30 are noticed by Nintendo and decide to price the rest of the VC games properly.

nubbe

Universal leaderboards would be nice.
But, online is free.. and Nintendo is 10 years behind Microsoft on the online space.

iidesuyo

I just hope Nintendo is reading closely to the Miiverse community. And I hope the high sales of these VC games for $.30 are noticed by Nintendo and decide to price the rest of the VC games differently.

You are right, most VC games are overpriced. 5€ for Alex Kidd BMX Race? No way! 0,49€ at best, it's 2013 after all.

zroid

Banned
I would argue stuffing modern foolishness like achievements into classic games would make them feel MORE hollow, or empty. ;)

(leaderboards however are something I could get behind)

Robin64

And I hope the high sales of these VC games for $.30 are noticed by Nintendo and decide to price the rest of the VC games properly.

I think Nintendo are probably happy with the "high" prices, given the Virtual Console on Wii made them just over $66m in 2009. Mario 3 alone was estimated to bring in $5m of that. Pretty healthy..

Source

Unicorn

What are the odds that there will be some remote play in the future (once we have unified accounts) across wiiU and 3DS?

I would love to play VC games with this kind of filtering / clarity on my 3DS as well as WiiU

iidesuyo

I think Nintendo are probably happy with the "high" prices, given the Virtual Console on Wii made them just over $66m in 2009. Mario 3 alone was estimated to bring in $5m of that. Pretty healthy..

Source

It's fine for all time classics like the Marios, but few care for the other games.

Terrell

It's fine for all time classics like the Marios, but few care for the other games.

Speak for yourself. Ogre Battle and Metal Marines were an absolute BOON for me. Everyone has a handful of 3rd-party games they loved. Some of them are lost in licensing hell, but a good chunk of them are there.

Little problem, I switched around the L R buttons to ZL ZR and forgot to set the L R buttons to open up the menu, how can I open up the menu now?

iidesuyo

Speak for yourself. Ogre Battle and Metal Marines were an absolute BOON for me. Everyone has a handful of 3rd-party games they loved.

Yes of course, those are classics! I'm talking about games like Balloon Fight, and even F-Zero should be 1-3€ at best. A lot more people would download and play them at that price, not only those who are retro gamers.

serplux

Yes of course, those are classics! I'm talking about games like Balloon Fight, and even F-Zero should be 1-3€ at best. A lot more people would download and play them at that price, not only those who are retro gamers.

Fluctuating prices for games on the same system would be awesome. Donkey Kong Jr is not worth the same price as Super Mario Bros. 3, and I'm glad Nintendo changed that with GB/GBC games on the 3DS. Just have to hope they change that with all of their systems.

Got this for the 30 cents of course, and then said, but wait, I haven't played the N64/GCN versions! OH WAIT! FZ X is on the Wii VC! So I got that in tandem and have been playing it since. Fuck Wipeout, this is soooooo much better. Both of them.

Game really makes you master when to let go of the gas.
And so far I'm terrible at it. >_<

Top Bottom