• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-ZERO (SNES) is 30 cents FEB 20th to MAR 21st on the Wii U eShop

I've never played this game before and I'm having so much fun! Maximum Velocity is worse than this and GX is just the right evolution, but the gameplay of the original is so good. Way ahead of its time...

Mael

Wow is this game fun, good thing all Fzero games are so different so that you don't feel ripped off when you play one of the older ones.
Easy to control, fun and fantastic music.
Pretty much perfect!

Madao

I've never played this game before and I'm having so much fun! Maximum Velocity is worse than this and GX is just the right evolution, but the gameplay of the original is so good. Way ahead of its time...

FZX is the actual evolution. GX just polished that.

it bothers me when people forget about FZX and how it evolved the series.

-TK-

Finally broke the magical 2min barrier on Mute city. Took about 200+ tries even after playing this game competitive so long on Snes. Still need to beat my old personal record.

9K3X5JW.jpg

alf717

This doesn't seem to have that ugly blur like Balloon Fight has. Hope this continues with the rest of Wii U VC titles.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this but it sounds like the left speaker is slightly louder than the right speaker on my Gamepad. Not an big issue for me but I was just curious. Maybe it is time to clean out my ears. =D

Robin64

This doesn't seem to have that ugly blur like Balloon Fight has. Hope this continues with the rest of Wii U VC titles.

NES games have to be scaled horizontally to achieve the correct aspect ratio and then they're upscaled again in all directions to increase the size. It's no surprise they don't look amazing.

SNES games though have no ratio correction and what seems like a nice bilinear 4.5x scale. Much better results.

alf717

NES games have to be scaled horizontally to achieve the correct aspect ratio and then they're upscaled again in all directions to increase the size. It's no surprise they don't look amazing.

SNES games though have no ratio correction and what seems like a nice bilinear 4.5x scale. Much better results.

Interesting I didn't know this. Does this mean that if no scaling was done the image would be really small on both the TV and Gamepad? NES games look great on the Wii which is why the blur on Balloon Fight kind of bothered me.

Don't the vast majority of both NES and SNES games output at 256x224? If they were really strict about getting a 4:3 image they'd have to alter both in the same way, but nobody seems to care much. Even if they did need to adjust for ratio, though, the results could be pretty clean on TV--1344x1008 works pretty well. Scales X by 5.25 and Y by 4.5.

I think Balloon Fight used 4.5x bilinear, but F-Zero is something else. In Paint Shop Pro it's called "weighted average", but going by Google that doesn't seem to be a widely used term so I don't know what to call it. At any rate, the effect is as if they blew it up 9x nearest neighbor, then halved it.

2UnyNWc.png

alf717 said:
Interesting I didn't know this. Does this mean that if no scaling was done the image would be really small on both the TV and Gamepad?
Tiny, yeah. A straight doubling would look pretty good on Gamepad, though, it would just have a slight border on top and bottom.

alf717

Don't the vast majority of both NES and SNES games output at 256x224? If they were really strict about getting a 4:3 image they'd have to alter both in the same way, but nobody seems to care much. Even if they did need to adjust for ratio, though, the results could be pretty clean on TV--1344x1008 works pretty well. Scales X by 5.25 and Y by 4.5.

I think Balloon Fight used 4.5x bilinear, but F-Zero is something else. In Paint Shop Pro it's called "weighted average", but going by Google that doesn't seem to be a widely used term so I don't know what to call it. At any rate, the effect is as if they blew it up 9x nearest neighbor, then halved it.

2UnyNWc.png

Tiny, yeah. A straight doubling would look pretty good on Gamepad, though, it would just have a slight border on top and bottom.

Very detailed. Thank you. I'm kind of getting into the whole aspect ratio / filtering tech stuff. Granted I have a lot to learn but I usually just trust my eyes when it comes to stuff like this and Balloon Fight stood out. One day I may tackle retro on an LCD but not before I get one of those Framemeister scalers.

Terrell

.... hmmmm.... yeah, the game was a great launch title, but the original appears to be a bit.... flat. F-Zero X is really what sold us on the potential for this franchise.

I've been using Wii Classic Controller and then tonight remembered I have a Mayflash NES & SNES to Wii adapter in my box of tricks. So now I'm using an original SNES controller and all is right with the world.

dwu8991

Banned
Finally broke the magical 2min barrier on Mute city. Took about 200+ tries even after playing this game competitive so long on Snes. Still need to beat my old personal record.

9K3X5JW.jpg

Mute City is the equilivant of Monanco as far as I'm concerned.

olimpia84

This game looks good both on the TV and Gamepad. For some reason, Balloon Fight seemed a bit blurry but this game is way crisper.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Dpad or analog for you, I still feel more comfortable with dpad, I just cant play these VC snes or nes games with analog.

I've got a Wii SNES controller, the perfect way to play it.
When I use the GamePad, I use the dpad. The only other thing I can tolerate for 2D gaming is the 3DS CirclePad.

zroid

Banned
I don't have a SNES ClaCon (NA), but I do have an OG one, which preeeetty closely resembles that. I should dig it out.

Effect

Ended up getting the game and yup don't like it. Controls better then the GBA version (which I only played when I got it on the 3DS) but still do not like how the early version of the series controled. Mario Kart can be really cheap with the attacks, especially once you hit first place. Make one mistake in F-Zero and it can send you bouncing and end up destroyed. Now remember why I never liked this game as a kid. I remembered disliking it but not I know exactly why. It feels like there is no room for error.

serplux

I can't believe how sharp this looks on my HDTV. Absolutely can't wait for the full Virtual Console.

We're getting close to that Spring update, aren't we? It has to be sometime in March or April. I wonder how many titles they're going to make available at launch? Perhaps 7-10 NES games and 3-6 SNES games?

Unicorn

I want to buy a Wii U for this. People need to all buy this game. Not only is it great, it tells Nintendo that they can make a much larger profit at these tiny price points. Also their up scaling method is beautiful.

ZeroGravity

Ended up getting the game and yup don't like it. Controls better then the GBA version (which I only played when I got it on the 3DS) but still do not like how the early version of the series controled. Mario Kart can be really cheap with the attacks, especially once you hit first place. Make one mistake in F-Zero and it can send you bouncing and end up destroyed. Now remember why I never liked this game as a kid. I remembered disliking it but not I know exactly why. It feels like there is no room for error.
Well on harder difficulties, no. That's what makes it hard. This is what F-Zero is.

Unicorn

That's why mario kart and f-zero are so different. Appealing to different audiences. Being unforgiving isn't necessarily a negative.

It's just a great arcade racer and the tracks are still imprinted into my brain. Allthough I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be as a kid.

I also love how the game gets a ton of love on Miiverse and everyone praises the 60hz release.

GimMick

Finally played for the first time in 20 years... and it feels as good as back in those days.

Gameplay is really tight and the Grand Prix is actually challenging. Best 30 cents spent ever !

I also did some records for the first cup, but I can only remember from memory 2'26"86 for Sand Ocean and 1'46"01 for Death Wind. Will provide pictures later.

Richie

I'd say the game is an acquired taste for me. Purchased it because, hey, 30 cents, and it's been growing on me quickly, so addictive, engaging in the classical "Just One More" gamer's attitude. Every day this gets more and more prominence on the Daily Log...Even when I'm having my ass handled to me in a golden plate, I love every second. Hardcore instincts showing up!

Miiverse integration is also a wonderful idea for the Virtual Console, to say nothing of the Gamepad, what a revelation this has been after playing the Ambassador's F-Zero on the original 3DS. Can't wait for VC proper to come.

serplux

No technical reason. Hell, there are halfway decent homebrew SNES emulators for original DS. And a quarter-decent one for GBA.

Anything up to but not including the N64 is feasible, and everything up to and including the GBA is also possible. Anything above those points and you get to problems with emulation, or (in the N64's case) differing number of buttons.

Though in N64's case I imagine most could still control decently. The C buttons would have two face buttons, the d-pad, or virtual buttons on the touch screen to work with.

serplux

Though in N64's case I imagine most could still control decently. The C buttons would have two face buttons, the d-pad, or virtual buttons on the touch screen to work with.

Maybe, but how would the Z-trigger figure in? You'd have to go at it in a game by game case, and it'd be weird having controls for the same system continually change. It'd also force Nintendo to give us customizable controls on the 3DS.

Maybe, but how would the Z-trigger figure in? You'd have to go at it in a game by game case, and it'd be weird having controls for the same system continually change. It'd also force Nintendo to give us customizable controls on the 3DS.
The shoulders are fine--no game could use all of N64's buttons simultaneously, so usually L would act as Z. Customizable controls would be a good thing, and luckily starting with the Wii U VC Nintendo finally seems to accept it too. I guess I'd make the default setup be that the C buttons are all both mapped to the d-pad and C button images on the touch screen, with X/Y left blank until changed by the user.

Neff

Make one mistake in F-Zero and it can send you bouncing and end up destroyed. Now remember why I never liked this game as a kid. I remembered disliking it but not I know exactly why. It feels like there is no room for error.

Take your thumb off the accelerator very briefly, then on again. This will re-stabilize you when you become inertia-prone from walls, boosts, and knocks from opponents. It's the cornerstone of F-Zero play. Playing as a car with good grip will help, too.

serplux

That's the very reason why I like the series. I love the tension.

teeny

This is a little bit off topic, but someone here might know.

Does anyone know if there are legitimate cheats for Maximum Velocity on GBA/3DS? I enjoy playing these games, but am not very good, and I want to unlock all of the hidden courses.

I have found a code listed on numerous sites that says to push B, L, B, A, R, B(2), A(2) at the title screen, but cannot get it to work. Either I am being incredibly thick, or the code is a dud. Does anyone have any ideas?

On topic, the SNES game is amazing. I'm still not very good, but the save states help with that. Glad to get the "proper" version, too, hopefully they continue that with all VC releases.

meppi

This is a little bit off topic, but someone here might know.

Does anyone know if there are legitimate cheats for Maximum Velocity on GBA/3DS? I enjoy playing these games, but am not very good, and I want to unlock all of the hidden courses.

I have found a code listed on numerous sites that says to push B, L, B, A, R, B(2), A(2) at the title screen, but cannot get it to work. Either I am being incredibly thick, or the code is a dud. Does anyone have any ideas?

On topic, the SNES game is amazing. I'm still not very good, but the save states help with that. Glad to get the "proper" version, too, hopefully they continue that with all VC releases.

Have you tried using the L and R buttons instead of d-pad left and right, or vice versa?

Top Bottom