• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas mod discussion

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Bookmarked this thread to look at when I get home tonight. I bought NV in the Steam sale, only played the console version (and none of the DLC) so looking forward to an improved experience all round. I'll be checking through the thread for recommendations, have heard of Project Nevada, the visual effects stuff shown a little earlier in the thread looks great too. I'll have to read up on what everything adds. Looking forward to it!

robin2

nexus mod manager

find it at newvegas.nexusmods.com

Thanks

Once I have set up the plugins in the NMM (see picture): can I start the game normally, double-clicking on its own icon, or do I have to open the NMM and launch the game through it (with the button on the top left, see picture) every time?

Also is there a way to remove the terrible, terrible, terrible, mouse lag-acceleration-smoothing?

I found this solution:
go to your Fallout_default.ini file in your steam new vegas folder, and put

fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

under your [controls], and then search for

iPresentInterval

and change it from 1 to 0
viable or outdated?

seldead

Jsaywer probs needs the new Vegas script extender so you're gonna have to run it from the nvse.exe or from the shortcut to it in nexus mod manager which is under the fallout new Vegas button if you click the dial to the side

robin2

Jsaywer probs needs the new Vegas script extender so you're gonna have to run it from the nvse.exe or from the shortcut to it in nexus mod manager which is under the fallout new Vegas button if you click the dial to the side

jesawyer mod's readme doesn't say so:
*Requires core F:NV .esm and all DLCs: Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Gun Runners' Arsenal, and Courier's Stash.
* Put jsawyer.esp in your Data folder. No additional files are required, but...
* Requires a load order manager such as Fallout Mod Manager. jsawyer.esp must be loaded after the core .esm and all DLC .esms.
So I'd say it doesn't?

Omega

Banned
being new to PC and modding, this has been pretty confusing for me

actually managed to install Nevada Skies though. progress!

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks

Once I have set up the plugins in the NMM (see picture): can I start the game normally, double-clicking on its own icon, or do I have to open the NMM and launch the game through it (with the button on the top left, see picture) every time?

I use a link to NMM I got in my desktop

no issues with achievements or steam recording game time

Also is there a way to remove the terrible, terrible, terrible, mouse lag-acceleration-smoothing?

I found this solution:

viable or outdated?
can't remember if fook already does this, but I think what you posted is alright

there's no way to completely fix the mouse acceleration or the stuttering, it's just how shitty gamebryo is

Unai

I found this solution:

viable or outdated?

This should do the trick, yes. You may also want to disable vsync and force it with triple buffering through D3Overrider. If it isn't good enough you can try to cap your framerate at 59.

Asked this in the steam topic, but guess this might be a better place.

When I'm playing New Vegas, the tracks played on the radio sound all glitched somehow. Like a badly burned cd used to sound.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and maybe have a solution?

Minamu

Are there any unofficial patches I should consider like in Skyrim? It didn't take the game more than two hours to crash on me last night.

robin2

I'm sorry for being annoying, but..

.. is there a way to set the load order without using mod managers (making a .ini file with the list for example)?

I'm using a single mod, JE Sawyer, and it sorta bothers me to launch the whole manager (which wants to connect to the internet too) all the times, for just a single mod*.

* I'm using mtui too but it doesn't have a .esp file so it shouldn't need order sorting.. I think.

You can control them via the Data Files option on the game's loader, but it's quite crude and I don't think you can manually set the order, which you will need to do once you get more mods. With just Jsawyer I think you should be fine using this method, though.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah you can do it with the built-in launcher, it's just less intuitive and nmm is just your first stop to the wonderful world of joyful modding

Minamu

Are there any good and reliable sprint mods? The walking speed is killing me >_< or any performance mods for game stability?

kasane

I'm thinking of moving on and stop playing fall out 3. That game is just a buggy mess i don't even know what to say. I bugged in the Vaults computer, the game randomly crashes. Sometimes i have to open close and open it again just to work. I'm thinking of moving on to NV.

Edit: Also I don't think you can finish this game without using VSATs and i hate them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Are there any good and reliable sprint mods? The walking speed is killing me >_< or any performance mods for game stability?

project nevada includes a sprinting option

it's a great overall mod, sprinting is the last reason to get it, but it can't hurt :p

Minamu

project nevada includes a sprinting option

it's a great overall mod, sprinting is the last reason to get it, but it can't hurt :p
Yeah, that looks rad (heh). I suppose I'm still a bit apprehensive about modding the game, same with Skyrim, because I want to see and judge the Vanilla experience as much as possible :S

hemtae

Yeah, that looks rad (heh). I suppose I'm still a bit apprehensive about modding the game, same with Skyrim, because I want to see and judge the Vanilla experience as much as possible :S
I know there's a console command that will change it. There might be something in the .ini file that will change it as well

Veezy

que?
Modding NV is a pretty fun experience. Get boss, get nmm, nvse, the 4gb patch, and new vegas edit. With little work (mostly time) you'll have it exactly how you want it running smooth as lotion, mostly. . For me, enb was more of a pain.

Minamu

I know there's a console command that will change it. There might be something in the .ini file that will change it as well
Aah yes I found a running speed command and the scale commands apparently also affects it.

Modding NV is a pretty fun experience. Get boss, get nmm, nvse, the 4gb patch, and new vegas edit. With little work (mostly time) you'll have it exactly how you want it running smooth as lotion, mostly. . For me, enb was more of a pain.
Would that include performance boosts? The game still runs a bit stuttery with both pop-in and jitters every once in a while (like every 10 seconds outdoors), even though the game recommended ultra settings. Not to mention the random crasches.

I can't get the 4GB patch to work with ENB =(

owlbeak

How are you guys even playing with ENB? Using the .190 version and my weapons are transparent, I see grass, rocks, people, etc. through walls and ground. I tried the transparency fix mod and it crashes the game on launch. :[

(New Vegas)

How are you guys even playing with ENB? Using the .190 version and my weapons are transparent, I see grass, rocks, people, etc. through walls and ground. I tried the transparency fix mod and it crashes the game on launch. :[

(New Vegas)

Not sure what's happening there, the whole point of 190 was to fix all the transparency issues. It mostly works fine to me, the only thing I noticed were that some of my replacement (i.e. non vanilla) gun textures would go slightly transparent still (not as bad as it used to be) and there's still a serious problem with water. Otherwise it works perfectly. Have you got weather mods etc running that aren't said to be compatible with whatever ENB preset you are using?

owlbeak

Not sure what's happening there, the whole point of 190 was to fix all the transparency issues. It mostly works fine to me, the only thing I noticed were that some of my replacement (i.e. non vanilla) gun textures would go slightly transparent still (not as bad as it used to be) and there's still a serious problem with water. Otherwise it works perfectly. Have you got weather mods etc running that aren't said to be compatible with whatever ENB preset you are using?
Using Nevada Skies and NCM texture pack as my only other mods.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

(New Vegas)
Sounds like you're using the one for FO3.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Has anyone here successfully installed NMC on New Vegas with FOMM?

I simply can't get Nexus Mod Manager to work, and I have checked several message boards for fixes.

Using the stutter remover and the mouse speed fix have done wonders for me. Running NV maxed out @1440p with 8XAA @60 fps is mindblowing... I have put hundreds of hours into the 360 version.

Next up will be a texture mod for me...

Thank you Steam sale.

gblues

Banned
I'm pretty happy with the look of my setup:

- Fellout
- 4GB patch
- uGridsToLoad=9, externalcellbuffer=100 (used same formula as Skyrim: (uGridsToLoad+1)^2)
- NMC texture pack.

Horse Detective said:
Has anyone here successfully installed NMC on New Vegas with FOMM?

I simply can't get Nexus Mod Manager to work, and I have checked several message boards for fixes.

I didn't use NMM at all. Just extract the 7z files, merge the directories for each file, and copy the contents of the merged directory to the Data/ folder under your FONV install directory.

sunnz

Anyone else getting errors and unable to download any mods from Nexus?

Both the mod manager and manual downloads don't work.

Quite frustrating.

Minamu

Using the stutter remover and the mouse speed fix have done wonders for me. Running NV maxed out @1440p with 8XAA @60 fps is mindblowing... I have put hundreds of hours into the 360 version.

Next up will be a texture mod for me...

Thank you Steam sale.
You can remove the stutter? :O I thought it was my pc being crap. Please tell me more :D

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The ENB website shows the Fallout 3 & New Vegas ENBs as being the same and it says they work for both games?
They are, I meant the transparency fix. It's the same mod for both, but the file headers are different, so using an ESP designed for FO3 will cause NV to crash on start-up, and vice versa.

Inversive

After spending 30 mins downloading and installing everything i got a crash at main menu, yeah i'll just stick to vanilla, haven't played any of the new vegas dlc anyway so it should be good.

After spending 30 mins downloading and installing everything i got a crash at main menu, yeah i'll just stick to vanilla, haven't played any of the new vegas dlc anyway so it should be good.

Probably a good idea. It's best to go easy with mods until you understand the game/modding system a little better. There are so many mods out there now and so many are a) badly programmed and b) often do things that completely break other mods. The worst are the proliferation of huge overall mods, which although often good on their own break pretty much everything else. Just start with a few things you like the sound of and if they work ok move on from there. That said you really will get more out of the game if you use JSawyer from the start (if that's your bag).

zkylon

zkylewd
usually it's best to install just a few mods at a time and check if everything's working

else if anything goes wrong it's just hell to check what's causing what

My confirmation email for the fallout nexus still hasn't come through. :/

Can I actually get characters looking this good with mods like this? It looks too good to be Fallout.
38788-1-1342525645.jpg

The nexus is utter shit right now, their servers must be getting hammered for some reason. I remember them being in a rough shape during june, but now they're getting completely devastated.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The nexus is utter shit right now, their servers must be getting hammered for some reason. I remember them being in a rough shape during june, but now they're getting completely devastated.
It started when the sale was on, all those people picking up Fallout 3 and NV and the looking for mods, it adds up!

Top Bottom