• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 DLC: Automatron ($10), WW ($5), Far Harbor ($25), More; Season Pass -> $50

Nice! I platinumed Fallout 4 over Christmas, but I've been itching to dive back in. Sucks that the seasons pass is $40 on Canadian PSN, but it'll probably be worth it to buy that.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Bought the Season Pass.
Fuck me right.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Got the season pass just now at GMG for 24$
so basically for the price of the first expac I got everything coming. Not Bad and I am excited for the DLC! I Liked all the other DLC released for fallout games so hopefully this set is even better!

Season pass announced - "well you don't even know what you're buying"

Content of season pass announced - "well you don't even know if what you're buying is good"

If Bethesda had a better history of DLC this wouldn't be a problem. But as it is now, they're asking for $30 (soon $50) for what is most likely their standard practice of half of the DLC being okay and the other half being an overpriced waste of time.

It sounds like they're doing the same thing they did with Skyrim. Except I doubt any new locations get added with Automation. Idk. Dragonborn was good. Would rather have 1 big expansion vs the tiny ones F3 and NV had. Not that I'm gonna buy this. I'll wait for the GOTY this Fall/next spring, personally.

CloudWolf

Most important for lots of folks.
Hopefully it will come free to the steam workshop ! :O

I'm willing to bet that the modders will release an animal trapping mod and a robot building mod within a week of the GECK's release.

If Bethesda had a better history of DLC this wouldn't be a problem. But as it is now, they're asking for $30 (soon $50) for what is most likely their standard practice of half of the DLC being okay and the other half being an overpriced waste of time.
Yeah, this weird love people have for Bethesda DLC has never really made sense to me. Every game they released had like one good DLC/expansion and the rest was bullshit, except for Morrowind since Bloodmoon and Tribunal were both great. Oblivion only had Shivering Isles, Fallout 3 only had Point Lookout (no, I don't consider Broken Steel to be any good) and Skyrim only had Dragonborn.

KorrZ

Seems like they're really doubling down on the whole settlement stuff with the DLC.

So I'm assuming we'll almost certainly see an equivalent in the next Elder Scrolls game?

Yes but we dont know if its a big story DLC or some smaller stuff like the cage settlement and power armor collectathon...

I'm counting on it being more crafting and settlement filler. Why else would they be desperately trying to con people into buying the season pass now as if $30 is some type of deal? Shivering Isles was $20 and I bet Bar Harbor won't be any where near that quality.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nice. Far Harbor looks sweet. I asked for another case with Nick so I'm pumped. WW is whatever, but Automatron could be some nice campy fun.

Also feels good that I only paid like $24 for the Season pass thank to GMG with a 25% off code before the game came out.

xrnzaaas

This and Dying Light increasing Season Pass prices isn't something I hope becomes standard. From now on, any game that does this, I'll just wait for the GOTY Edition. Then again, I was planning on doing that for Fallout 4 anyway, since I know Bethesda and their bugs.

I don't think that the price increase for Dying Light SP was intentional. They probably figured out during production that they've got more than a standard DLC and less than a sequel. I'm currently playing The Following and it's money well spent... I'm close to 20 hours and I still haven't done a lot of things.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I don't understand the complaints - the story DLC is gonna be $25 plain.

The other two, while not my cup of tea, effectively are mine for $5. Plus, you add whatever other DLC they have planned (hopefully story), and it's effectively free.

So lets say it's more settlement bullshit. I paid base story DLC + $5 for what (seemingly appears) be a lot of content.

I understand the argument about never buying a season pass, but as far as what they're doing here, it hardly feels "scummy" or "low" to me.

skynidas

Banned
huh, the people that get in the beta for the add ons will get them for free

Want a chance to play these add-ons early? We’ll be running closed betas for each of the add-ons for consoles and PC. And you can sign up right now on Bethesda.net. In order to apply, you’ll need to create a registered Bethesda.net account. We’ll be selecting applicants in the upcoming weeks. Players accepted into the beta will receive a code to redeem the content. The beta is the full version (complete with achievements) and those participating will not have to purchase the add-on.

The other two, while not my cup of tea, effectively are mine for $5. Plus, you add whatever other DLC they have planned (hopefully story), and it's effectively free.

So lets say it's more settlement bullshit. I paid base story DLC + $5 for what (seemingly appears) be a lot of content.

I understand the argument about never buying a season pass, but as far as what they're doing here, it hardly feels "scummy" or "low" to me.

Bethesda's hitting you with the upsell (a $25 expansion means I get all the DLC for $5!!! WHAT VALUE!) when the issue is the DLC costing $25 in the first place.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
huh, the people that get in the beta for the add ons will get them for free

That's pretty sweet. Test things out and get it for free. Plenty of diehard fans that will put up with being guinea pigs for some early access and free content. Hell of a lot better than some of the shit other devs pull with paid beta access, making people pay for the pleasure of playing and testing their buggy games for them.

Hearts Of Stone looks like even more of a bargain.

It's an amazing deal in comparison to the lazy phoned in DLC we've been seeing recently. I expected more from Bethesda, the company that gave us Shivering Isles and all those great story based DLCs for FO3.

Crafting and settlements has ruined this series. That shit should be free with mods, not part of the season pass.

Fractal

Banned
I plan to play Fallout 4 when the GOTY edition is out, but here, only the Far Harbor one sounds interesting. The rest sounds like Hearthfire from Skyrim and I wasn't really a fan of that one.

Also, the settlement building and crafting doesn't sound interesting to me, it's not really something I want in my games. Seeing Bethesda further pushing the system through the DLC means there's a chance it'll be a major feature in their future games, and honestly, the idea doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

It's an amazing deal in comparison to the lazy phoned in DLC we've been seeing recently. I expected more from Bethesda, the company that gave us Shivering Isles and all those great story based DLCs for FO3.

Crafting and settlements has ruined this series. That shit should be free with mods, not part of the season pass.

Why would it be free when they can sell it all to people that would never pay money for it for the sweet price of $5? That's free revenue.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds good. I really need to give this another shot and play it on its own terms rather than butting my head against it because it isn't New Vegas.

CloudWolf

Story DLC for 25$ is absurdly expensive.

Steejee

Funnily enough, I'd probably pay $15 for a "We fixed the shitty loading times" DLC.

Is that an issue with the console versions? Loading on my PC was only a few seconds initially and then near instant for other loads, so it at least has the capability to be snappy.

SirJackDaniels was right:

This is what i have heard about FO4 dlc. The season pass will be raised in price come the announcements.

It will go to 50 usd due to the sheer size / expansion of the season pass. Everybody who bought a 25 usd season pass will get a free upgrade to the 50 usd season pass.

edit - and there he is

It's a lose-lose situation. Either you buy it early without knowing how the DLC content is going to turn out or you wait until reviews and risk paying a $20 late fee.

"But what if all of the DLC is really good???" then you get a good deal, I guess. But when has that ever happened? Opinions on Fallout 3 DLC seem to drastically range from "pretty good" (Point Lookout) to "boring crap" (Operation Anchorage). There's no real way to know how these will turn out.

There is a third option, which is to buy it at neither $30 or $50 and wait for the steam sale GOTY edition in the future (i have no idea how long games take to drop in price).

I played FO4 and really enjoyed it, but not willing to pay for this season pass at those prices.

Lanrutcon

Is that an issue with the console versions? Loading on my PC was only a few seconds initially and then near instant for other loads.

It takes ages (stupidly long, close to 2 minutes) on my PC, and the older the save gets the longer the loading times.

bidguy

Banned
so the first two are just new crafting stuff and robot hunting missions ?

the third one sounds good ill wait for that

Bahlor

Really not sure what to think about this but will most likely buy it anyway... I'm loving fallout 4. Will have a lot of fun with those but they (except story dlc) sound like mods. Shouldn't mod support be coming to consoles in january ? Guess I'm a bit out of date in regards of fallout 4 news.

Bethesda has consistently released some of the best DLC in the industry as far as value goes. I don't see any reason to assume the expansion won't be bigger than Shivering Isles (since they come right out and say it), and that was $30, IIRC.

Why would it be free when they can sell it all to people that would never pay money for it for the sweet price of $5? That's free revenue.

"Hey, you know that part of our game that nobody likes? We're forcing everyone who bought the season pass to pay money for more of that crap!"

I would have rather saved $5 and just get that one lone pathetic story based DLC.

Don't really trust this given their history with Skyrim. Also they won't announce what's in the rest of the season pass until after the price increase I bet.

I hope GECK comes out before or when the first DLC hits, otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if they're holding it back because Wasteland Workshop would be something created by the community with GECK...

IvanJ

Banned
Well, I originally planned to wait for a GOTY edition, but then I bought the game cheaply.
Then I thought I'll wait for the Season Pass to go on a discount, now it seems that the discount is right now. So I'll be sure to buy it this month.

Now all that remains is actually finding time to play the game. Probably some time in April or May, when I get finished with The Division.

I'm still making my way through FO4, and the season pass is something I was thinking of getting at some point at original price or less.

At $50? I'm leaning towards passing until it's cheaper since I'll probably need a break after finishing the story anyway.

Bethesda has consistently released some of the best DLC in the industry as far as value goes. I don't see any reason to assume the expansion won't be bigger than Shivering Isles (since they come right out and say it), and that was $30, IIRC.

Ah yes, the consistency that brought us Anchorage and Dawnguard.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
If you added the 5 DLC packs for Fallout 3 the total cost was 50$. I guess because they are making it more expensive outside of the season pass people are getting upset? If you do not want to get it at 30$ then don't! You just make yourself pay more if the content is something you find interesting.

For me personally, I think this stuff looks awesome and for the 24 bucks I paid for the season pass it is still cheaper than buying the first set of DLC (which I know I would do anyways, season pass or not!)

Top Bottom