• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - Game of the Year Edition - September 26

wow, that is... that is something.

I pray one day you will play a good RPG and see the light.

Ha! I wouldn't be THAT harsh, New Vegas is on that list at least.

I'm hoping they just started the Witcher 3 which is why they're only 8 hours in because that game is a masterpiece.

Havik

Hmm just bought the game a few days ago. Luckily it was only €12. Hopefully they will put the DLC on sale soon.

Ha! I wouldn't be THAT harsh, New Vegas is on that list at least.

I'm hoping they just started the Witcher 3 which is why they're only 8 hours in because that game is a masterpiece.

I just don't see it. Ive played most RPGs available for the PC and the Witcher series as a whole is something I have struggled with. On paper, they sound great, in execution.. ugh. The first Witcher I got the farthest but even then it was only about 1/4th the game. The entire time I played, I did the same thing over and over. I'll arrive at a place looking for a woman that matches Yennifer's description. I save someone or some thing, then they tell me they haven't a clue but go ask this other person. I ask that person, they don't know either but they know someone who does, but first I need to do a task.. Then I do it and they say "oh I heard the Witchers are terrible but you are so nice oh I really don't having anything that will help you, go talk to this person." It would be helpful if these pointless errands were at least interesting but they aren't. Yes I get that a Witcher is a tracker and he is suppose to ask people and track things. Maybe if they could have cut the uninteresting crap down to 4 or 5 hours. Speaking of not interesting, you have Geralt, the most nihilist unlikable piece of cardboard. Yes Fallout 4 protagonist is horrible, at least she isn't as off putting.

Fallout 4 was just trash. I liked Morrowind and Oblivion. I loved Fallout 3. Skyrim is one of the greatest games ever made. But Fallout 4 was ass. A step back from all of their big open-world RPGs on about every level. Hated the game.

I really can't understand how you love Fallout 3 but dislike Fallout 4.

Keinning

People still don't get that calling a package "Game of the yakety yak edition" is just a term for "Game plus all the DLC in one box." Two Worlds has a game of the year edition. The term means nothing.

As for my opinion on Fallout 4, its well know but i'll let my playtimes speak for themselves

bLhA0Wk.png

That picture speaks a lot about you indeed but probably not what you could be expecting

People still don't get that calling a package "Game of the yakety yak edition" is just a term for "Game plus all the DLC in one box." Two Worlds has a game of the year edition. The term means nothing.

As for my opinion on Fallout 4, its well know but i'll let my playtimes speak for themselves

bLhA0Wk.png

Jesus H. Christ on a bicycle.

I just started a modded playthrough. It usually takes me a week to mod Fallout. Somehow I knocked out a fully modded out F04 in less than 4 hours. Certainly a new record for me. (Shit's easier than ever. Thanks to script injectors I didn't even need to bash a patch, that's a first!!)

As disappointing as this game is as an RPG and followup to NV, I think it'll make for a pretty decent hardcore survival game. 'Bout to find out.

DOWN

Banned
This game is one of the biggest disappointments for me. I got the season pass and didn’t even want to play it. They really didn’t capture the atmosphere that the Fallout game’s last gen had. The graphics were underwhelming after a while, and the character forced background didn’t work out well.

Also the story was quite messy.

I dunno. The game just felt weirdly dead. Like an old animatronic.

DOWN

Banned
I really can't understand how you love Fallout 3 but dislike Fallout 4.
? Seems like most people rate 3 above 4. Fallout 3 did far more new and interesting than 4. 4 was quite hollow and dated in many ways. Didn’t have the atmosphere of the last gen titles and the story was a weird mess that didn’t mesh with the state of the world.

Also the voice acting and forced character background really stunted the atmosphere with some bad acting.

I understand that people have serious problems with this game, but I had a blast with it. Definitely recommend it if you haven't played it yet!

Van Bur3n

? Seems like most people rate 3 above 4. Fallout 3 did far more new and interesting than 4. 4 was quite hollow and dated in many ways. Didn't have the atmosphere of the last gen titles and the story was a weird mess that didn't mesh with the state of the world.

Also the voice acting and forced character background really stunted the atmosphere with some bad acting.

What does the bold part even mean? What is this "atmosphere" you're mentioning constantly? I'm actually quite curious to hear the explanation. Especially since Fallout 3 and New Vegas' atmospheres already differed greatly as it was. I want to know what this magical atmosphere is that you speak of that meshes well with stuff.

DJ_Lae

GOTY editions of games have become pretty meaningless - having said that, I thought the world of Fallout 4 itself was great. Exploring random ruined places on my own terms was a lot of fun. Combat was much improved from 3/Vegas and weapon customization worked pretty well.

Unfortunately, the world was also inhabited by the shittiest NPCs and dumbest quests in the franchise's history.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I understand that people have serious problems with this game, but I had a blast with it. Definitely recommend it if you haven't played it yet!

i really enjoyed it. the story was a bit meh towards the ending. could've been great but i felt that it just fell apart towards the end. maybe it was the decisions i made? maybe i need to replay it with different choices.

apart from story i think i would prefer a main character that isn't voiced because i felt that it restricted dialogue options during conversations. however, it was kinda cool to see them try it out.

everything else was top notch. gameplay was enjoyable and gunplay was much improved. the world map was great to explore and i enjoyed the side quests. base building is a huge time sink too if you're into that.

it might not be perfect but to this day it's still the only Fallout game i've actually managed to finish! everyone goes on about 3/NV being great but couldn't bring myself to finish them.

Recall

It's such a let down in so many areas but I've still put waaaay too many hours into ending every quest by killing everything in my path, finding how many different ways I can agree to do a quest and build wooden shacks.

I enjoyed Far Habour the most, killing all the things in some cool locations was fun. There are no choices or options, it's just kill everything that moves simulator 2017.

Van Bur3n

It's such a let down in so many areas but I've still put waaaay too many hours into ending every quest by killing everything in my path, finding how many different ways I can agree to do a quest and build wooden shacks.

I enjoyed Far Habour the most, killing all the things in some cool locations was fun. There are no choices or options, it's just kill everything that moves simulator 2017.

Were you actually paying attention to Far Harbor? There are many choices that can be made between the three factions to determine the fate of all of them. A number of different variations as to who remains on the island.

Guys, I know there is a lot wrong with Fallout 4. Legitimate reasons. But if you're going to criticize it too, can you at least come up with some actual good critique as well.

Were you actually paying attention to Far Harbor? There are many choices that can be made between the three factions to determine the fate of all of them. A number of different variations as to who remains on the island.

Guys, I know there is a lot wrong with Fallout 4. Legitimate reasons. But if you're going to criticize it too, can you at least come up with some actual good critique as well.

I haven't played much of far harbor but I heard had the main game had far harbors level of quests it would have been much better.

I saw a little bit of this of obtaining information in various ways that depending on your build would be easier or harder.

I still can't figure out how there is like 1 quest line in the main game that uses stat checks. Either that designer didn't get the memo or they ran out of time and just said fuck it, kill em all, return quest item, rinse repeat.

Never played a Fallout game before so I was waiting for this complete version of the game before I tried it. The $60 price tag is a bit too much though with my general dislike of Nuclear/Apocalyptic settings and first person shooting combat. Being a MA native the Boston setting does intrigue me and the sandboxy elements especially the base making stuff and my enjoyment of the Elder Scrolls Series (Bethesda's other open world rpg game) does make me want to try this series at least, will just wait until it's about half off.

Van Bur3n

I haven't played much of far harbor but I heard had the main game had far harbors level of quests it would have been much better.

I saw a little bit of this of obtaining information in various ways that depending on your build would be easier or harder.

I still can't figure out how there is like 1 quest line in the main game that uses stat checks. Either that designer didn't get the memo or they ran out of time and just said fuck it, kill em all, return quest item, rinse repeat.

If Fallout 4 had been of the quality of Far Harbor it would have been brilliant. These two wikia pages on the main questline of Far Harbor really signify how much choice you really have in going about the main questline, with some of what you did throughout Far Harbor determining whether things will go your way or not. Spoilers, of course. If you plan on playing through Far Harbor I wouldn't look because its definitely something to experience.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_Life_Should_Be

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Cleansing_the_Land

Also, depending on your alliance back in the Commonwealth there is a whole other way with dealing with one of the factions in Far Harbor. If one played through Far Harbor and all they got out of it was just "killing all the things" they're utterly blind as shit or they're purposely lying to themselves to push a fallacious argument. Far Harbor is what Fallout should be and is proof Bethesda is capable of delivering content worthy of the series. But Bethesda is always one to throw out something that was already executed well in exchange for a new concept that turns out poorly. Moments of brilliance from Bethesda are easily forgotten as a result.

And yes, I agree about that stat check. It's like they acknowledged that's something that should be in a Fallout game by putting it in that quest but is found nowhere else in the game for whatever reason. Again, Bethesda is fucking weird.

bLhA0Wk.png

Dude, there are people who eat shit. So, yeah.

BizzyBum

Some of the hyperbole in this thread is embarrassing.

Probably the same type of people who still shit post in every No Man's Sky thread that pops up a year later, too.

Speaking of not interesting, you have Geralt, the most nihilist unlikable piece of cardboard. Yes Fallout 4 protagonist is horrible, at least she isn't as off putting.

lol

'Geralt is a nihilist unlikable piece of cardboard' must be one of the worst things I have ever read on the internet. And that includes this.

It seems Bethesda's biggest mistake, for their own sake, was letting Obsidian make New Vegas.

I don't think they even care anymore. Which in turn was evident enough in F4's gameplay and player "agency."

Anyone wanting another NV has already moved on to other IP while Bethesda is all too happy to keep porting Skyrim again and again.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's not as good as 3/NV, but it's not as bad as others are making it out to be, tbh.

I'm sorry but, "not as good as 3/NV" means the game is absolutely as bad as people are making it out to be.

Do you realize where "not as good as Fallout 3" places a game?

Kill3r7

I don't think they even care anymore. Which in turn was evident enough in F4's gameplay and player "agency."

Anyone wanting another NV has already moved on to other IP while Bethesda is all too happy to keep porting Skyrim again and again.

Well if Skyrim keeps outselling new or recent WRPGs then you might as well continue milking it. The thirst is real.

poodaddy

Will it be free to those of us who own the game and season pass? I know it shouldn't matter but when it comes to Bethesda games and mod compatibility it might end up being crucial.

RootCause

How is it not? Weapon customization(nv implementation was weak), settlement creation, improved haracter creator, on top of the much improved gunplay. Definitely the most changes, and risks of any of their previous releases, including both ES, and Fallout series.

KillLaCam

Banned
How is it not? Weapon customization(nv implementation was weak), settlement creation, improved haracter creator, on top of the much improved gunplay. Definitely the most changes, and risks of any of their previous releases, including both ES, and Fallout series.

To me it feels like the story, missions , characters and rpg mechanics were all way worst to me than any of their games. I can't really think of anything interesting outside of Far Harbor
Feels like there were so many step backs to really call it ambitious.

Gunplay is a huge improvement though, no one could even argue against that.

It wasn't a bad game though.

Like Id call the Witcher 3 ambitious when compared to Witcher 2

Reorx

bLhA0Wk.png

play more witcher 3!!

What's the point in an improved character creator if our agency with that character is massively reduced?

Staf

I like the game, despite having a terrible dialogue system. Do we know when that creation club thingy is going to be released? And what kind of things we might expect?

So this'll all be on disc? It won't just be a copy of the game with a bunch of download codes?

Do we know if everything is on disc?
Talking about all the DLCs, updates and the PS4 Pro features.

Is the DLC on disk or code?
Sadly, it would appear all the downloadable content will be provided as a code voucher. Incredibly unfortunate as I had been holding out since the original launch for this bundle. Bethesda had a fairly decent track record for incorporating everything onto disc for their past re-releases, but it would appear Fallout 4 might be the start of an exception.

Top Bottom