• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - Game of the Year Edition - September 26

alexbull_uk

I love the saltiness in this thread. Yes, Fallout 4 won (many) GOTY awards.

Anyway, it's a good bundle. With all the DLC+mods (and survival mode if you're into that kind of thing) it's a great package. Plenty of hours of fun to be had.

Oberon

Banned
The Main Character was a soldier who had returned home from the war so almost certainly had training in Power Armour prior to the start of the game.
And at least they did somewhat limit the usage of the armour in the beginning with needing the Cores, so you couldn't exactly just run around in it for the entire game right from the start.

Only if you play the male character

Bakercat

There is no way I will ever touch fallout 4 again. No thanks Todd, I don't like being burnt twice.

dont believe his lies...

How's the frame rate

I have some mods installed that remove extra graphical effects and maintain an average of 30fps from time to time (with other mods that will cause the game to lag from time to time). Regular launch PS4 fyi.

I haven't touched the game with just the graphical mods though.

On topic, I won't be buying the GOTY Edition and will probably just buy the Season Pass because I have a love/hate relationship with the settlement building aspect. The season pass should go down in price before the launch of the GOTY Edition. SHOULD.

Kenai

Skyrim and NV were definitely better games, but I didn't hate Fallout 4 or anything. Just don't think I'll replay it like I do the other two.

Will get it during the next Steam sale though, it's worth 20-30 dollars at least.

wbEMX

I really liked FO4, but the Season Pass is still too expensive, imho. Is there some kind of price reduction for FO4 Steam owners?

It probably helps that Fallout 4 was my first real Bethesda RPG, so I didn't have the hype that many people did.

alexbull_uk

There is no way I will ever touch fallout 4 again. No thanks Todd, I don't like being burnt twice.

dont believe his lies...

What lies? I see this about Todd Howard all the time and I've never understood it. I never once felt lied to about Skyrim or Fallout 4.

Rarius

What lies? I see this about Todd Howard all the time and I've never understood it. I never once felt lied to about Skyrim or Fallout 4.

It started with Oblivion, in which he released design docs talking about features that not only didn't make it into the main game, but seem to be completely fabricated and had never existed

It started with Oblivion, in which he released design docs talking about features that not only didn't make it into the main game, but seem to be completely fabricated and had never existed

So one game.

Plus, that all had to do with announcing the game too early. They had to scale back quite a bit because the tech wasn't there. That's why every game since has been announced far into development.

They did it for Skyrim too. Said that you'd be able to influence the economy of towns by sabotaging stuff, and that it would influence other areas. lie, exaggeration, or something that didn't make the cut, whatever you want to call it, it seems pretty strange to highlight something that big 7 months from launch and losing it. I've never really gotten over it.

If you hang around you can watch the guy put the log through the mechanism. You can also sabotage the mill, which takes wood out of the local economy and makes arrows harder to come by. Howard says Bethesda is playing around with variables for this kind of behavior.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-18-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-preview

I was soured on the Fallout 4 experience, like many here. Got caught up in the hype, bought it at launch during a time when the (vastly superior) Witcher 3 was blowing my mind, and quickly realized Fallout 4 was an uninspired "go here, kill that" simulator and nothing more.

The lack of deeply structured and meaningful quests is the biggest piss off. The game's main campaign and character are laughable. The lazy "RPG-lite" mechanics leave a lot to be desired.

However, jumping back into my original save from time to time with my expectations for what a Fallout game should be (NV) dialed way back, I have a pretty good time with this. It does a pretty good job of creating atmosphere, especially with a few mods implemented, and so I find myself enjoying it on a more superficially visceral level.

Basically, treat it as a post-apocalyptic action exploration game; just wander around and see what finds you. You'll have more fun that way.

I'm perfectly fine with vanilla as there is plenty of content and apparently the DLC is barely worth a damn.

GOTY my ass, though.

Josh5890

I wish it was on a certain Nint........

I 'll probably grab this on a steam sale. I should really play through 3 and Vegas first though.

Gurnlei

I'd give it my GOTY for the year it was released. The world was fun to explore and I liked a lot of the characters. Positives far outweighed the negatives. Might pick it up for a friend on sale.

This thread is depressing.

He's not wrong though.

Every Fallout 4 thread ends the same way, with people coming out of the woodwork just to drive-by shit post the game because it wasn't "RPG-enough" for them or some such. It's impossible to have a F4 discussion of any kind without this dead weight making an appearance.

At some point I'm just left wondering why so many are so invested in tearing the game down.

I get being disappointed. Highly-anticipated games disappoint me all the time. Thing is, when it doesn't work out for me, I just let it go and move on. It's no big deal, there's more than enough games out there to enjoy.

I think that's what makes me wonder the most about the hate-boner so many on 'Gaf seem to have for Fallout 4. It's like they follow behind every Fallout 4 thread like a jilted lover who just can't let go. Making sure everyone knows what a horrible person Bethesda is, LOL.

I just can't wait for the next Bethesda sandbox game to make an appearance. Hopefully by then everyone who has grown to dislike what they have to offer will have moved on, letting Bethesda fans enjoy their unique talents in peace.

Probably because Fallout wasn't originally a Bethesda series, and New Vegas coming out after Fallout 3 and showing the Fallout 1 and 2 fans that even with a Bethesda-like game, there could still be a Fallout in the vein of 1 and 2. But even if Fallout 3 was your first Fallout game, I feel like 4 was a step back from that game in every way except the gun play which is improved.

I mean once I realized all the RPG aspects of New Vegas (and even 3) were pretty much gone, I learned to like it as a poor mans minecraft/borderlands/post apocalypse theme park. Its just unfornate I feel like the mod scene for Fallout 4 is the weakest I've seen. Yeah there is Horizon, but where are the FOOKs, FWE's, Primary Needs, Weapon Mod Kits, etc. I know those mods were integrated into the main game for Fallout 4, but I feel like there's really nothing standing out almost 2 years after it came out. Hell the damn script extender still isn't done. The mod scene during Oblivion, F3, NV, and Skyrim felt much more exciting than 4s is.

2SeeKU

For me, the only good DLC was Far Harbour and Nuka-World. Both environments were vastly different from the main game.

Not really related, but l'm disappointed l have to pay to play in VR on the PS4.

Hopeford

Fallout 4 is a great game. It unfortunately doesn't do the things I loved from New Vegas, but I love the settlement building mechanic with all my heart and there's a lot of fun to be had there.

So it doesn't do what I wanted it to do, but it does something I never asked for but sorta fell in love with. Love the game, but still hope one day we get another New Vegasish game.

Koh

I had to check if it was a weak year... This came out the same year as The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne.

ROFL.

While I love Skyrim, fallout 4 wasnt worth my rental. I'll be skipping this entry.

Joeku

Has there been any word if fallout 4 VR will be effectively a GOTY edition or is it just the base game reformatted?

Fallout 4 is a separate $60 purchase that is seemingly the base game with systems modified for VR. That's about as much info as there is right now.

Biske

Does it include an end game and ending that isn't like, one sixteenth assed lazy bullshit? (its too generous to call it half assed)

gpn

I had a great time with Fallout 4, but I'm saving my next purchase for the VR version. Can't wait for that one (and Skyrim too).

Does it include an end game and ending that isn't like, one sixteenth assed lazy bullshit? (its too generous to call it half assed)
This seems a bit harsh. Did you play Fallout 3? That game had fewer possible endings and no end game to speak of.

Biske

This seems a bit harsh. Did you play Fallout 3? That game had fewer possible endings and no end game to speak of.

The first ending to Fallout 3 wasn't great, and the changes they later made weren't mind blowing. But it was an ending.

Fallout 4 the ending is virtually all the same no matter what you've done, and it amounts to a few lines that are really "eh life is shit" in a short lame montage of nothing.

Van Bur3n

The first ending to Fallout 3 wasn't great, and the changes they later made weren't mind blowing. But it was an ending.

Fallout 4 the ending is virtually all the same no matter what you've done, and it amounts to a few lines that are really "eh life is shit" in a short lame montage of nothing.

Are you still trying to say Fallout 3's ending is still better? I can't tell. Either way, I will always consider Fallout 3's ending and its plot far worse than Fallout 4's. It goes into absolute illogical nonsense once the Enclave show up.

I'll take Fallout 4's main questline any day since it at least attempts something similar to New Vegas with the factions, leading to the main questline to play out differently. And it does, if you must know. The differentiation being a Brotherhood/Minutemen path or Railroad/Institute path. Both differentiate quite a bit from one another, but all do possess the same ending save for the Institute one. The end results being whether there is a giant crater in the middle of the game world or not.

Again, not the best, but I feel people don't seem to remember how very bad Fallout 3 was in regards to its main questline. And also most of its side quest not having a whole lot to write home about either. There are about one or two good side quests to be found in Fallout 3 (Tenpenny Tower and Wasteland Survival Guide). Same can be said with Fallout 4 (Human Error and Diamond City Blues when its not buggy as shit).

Honestly, the main thing Fallout 3 has over Fallout 4 is simply having an intricate dialogue system that Fallout is famous for. Something Bethesda did get right with their first go at Fallout. Everything else is mixed or Fallout 4 improved upon it and made things better.

Was so bummed about the dialogue system in Fallout 4 that I kind of dropped it. It's really a shame too because I think so much of that game is great (I even like the way it looks). If we can get the New Vegas follow up with the old system back I would still be on board day one.

People still don't get that calling a package "Game of the yakety yak edition" is just a term for "Game plus all the DLC in one box." Two Worlds has a game of the year edition. The term means nothing.

As for my opinion on Fallout 4, its well know but i'll let my playtimes speak for themselves

bLhA0Wk.png

jtb

Banned
People still don't get that calling a package "Game of the yakety yak edition" is just a term for "Game plus all the DLC in one box." Two Worlds has a game of the year edition. The term means nothing.

As for my opinion on Fallout 4, its well know but i'll let my playtimes speak for themselves

bLhA0Wk.png

wow, that is... that is something.

I pray one day you will play a good RPG and see the light.

Top Bottom