• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - Game of the Year Edition - September 26

Mesoian

Their most ambitious game? Didn't feel ambitious to me! Map is smaller than Skyrim. It didn't feel more advanced than Fallout 3. It had better graphics but that isn't enough to call it ambitious. It didn't feel like a step forward. Even having very, very few or no loading screen between areas would have gone a long way to make this ambitious but no, still loading screens for areas literally the size of one room. Hell it felt regressive in some areas. Fuck what a disappointment this was.

I could forgive all that if the stories were interesting. The only good one was Nick's. Most of them are just copouts.

That's the biggest problem I had with the game. They had a real opportunity to tell a really captivating story by not having to rely on the idea of roleplaying, but they still just phoned it all in. Narratively and thematically, I can count on one hand how many times the game wow'd me, and for a 50 or so hour experience, that's really not good. Skyrim had stronger themes, and that says a LOT.

Starfield

Bethesda Game Studios is the best developer of all time and I can't wait to pick this up even tho i bought F4 on release.

I'm sorry GAF but its the truth

This is GAF. Always out of touch.

People recognize it sells well. That's not the problem. Even my "casual" friends noticed how much of a drop in quality there was going from New Vegas to this (and when explained to them it was the lack of role playing, they told me "Yeah! That's what was missing! And the story wasn't good anyways"

Shredderi

People recognize it sells well. That's not the problem. Even my "casual" friends noticed how much of a drop in quality there was going from New Vegas to this (and when explained to them it was the lack of role playing, they told me "Yeah! That's what was missing! And the story wasn't good anyways"

Yep, not a GAF "out of touch" thing at all with this one. Everyone I talked about the game in real life said it's worse than F3 and NV, even if they couldn't explain what exactly was the missing element.

Rarius

Yeah, no, the writing is a whole other level of bad for Fallout 4, none of the quests are well done outside of the one fantastic piece of DLC that was Far Harbor.

Seriously it feels like a completely other dev made that DLC

joecanada

Fun game, totally worth it BUT I would absolutely not buy any DLC for it unless you can get this GOTY ed. on the cheap. Vanilla game with mods is more than sufficient to do everything you need to do.

some DLC like workshop is mildly amusing at best , not worth more than a couple dollars. also I never even went to Far Harbour, I mean once you are OP enough by the endgame, I was basically like what's the point? I found (not mod found) a double shot Gauss Rifle and that was basically that for weapons. can one shot deathclaws.

Venfayth

Anecdotal evidence is trumped by the literal description of the critical reception in the OP.

Note that I'm not apologizing for the game, I'm just saying it's super obvious the game has a wide fanbase, great sales, and a very good critical reception. Out-of-touch throes of "unnghghhg but bethesda is trashhhhhhhhhhhhhh" accompanied by admittedly hilarious Todd Howard memes - especially when it's the majority of the thread - readily indicate the bubble surrounding the game (and not just here, other places on the internet are just as susceptible)

Shredderi

Anecdotal evidence is trumped by the literal description of the critical reception in the OP.

Note that I'm not apologizing for the game, I'm just saying it's super obvious the game has a wide fanbase, great sales, and a very good critical reception. Out-of-touch throes of "unnghghhg but bethesda is trashhhhhhhhhhhhhh" accompanied by admittedly hilarious Todd Howard memes - especially when it's the majority of the thread - readily indicate the bubble surrounding the game (and not just here, other places on the internet are just as susceptible)

I don't think anyone has disputed the game doing well with critics and in sales. I am a huge fucking fallout fan. It is not out of touch to not like the game.

The only Fallout game I've played is New Vegas. That ended up becoming one of my fav all-time games.

I want to give Fallout 4 a try, but from everything I've read and heard, it sounds like I wouldn't get the same experience.

I'm buying Skyrim two times this year. One for PSVR and one for Switch. So I'm part of the problem there. I love Skyrim.

But this game? I still need to finish it. Haven't even started the DLC yet I think. But if I remember correctly some mods that I installed on Xbox started to act really weird so that's why I stopped.

Really should get back to it but I've been super curious about New Vegas.

Blobbers

You can have a lot of fun with Fallout 4 if you go into with the right mindset of not expecting a Fallout game (which became obvious after the trailer at E3 2015,"alright, boy, let's go fuck shit up" *que music blasting to a montage of a dude in power armor blowing shit up*)

The writing was on the wall. This is people being disappointed because they wanna be disappointed. You do you, I guess

Will probably double dip on Xbox 1. Got it day 1 and platinumed it on PS4, but the mod support is nowhere near as good as its on Xbox and I don't own a PC.

Shredderi

You can have a lot of fun with Fallout 4 if you go into with the right mindset of not expecting a Fallout game (which became obvious after the trailer at E3 2015,"alright, boy, let's go fuck shit up" *que music blasting to a montage of a dude in power armor blowing shit up*)

The writing was on the wall. This is people being disappointed because they wanna be disappointed. You do you, I guess

Jesus christ.

Rarius

...What the fuck does that even mean? It's a numbered title in a series, you can't just, you know, turn off your expectations for a series suddenly. That also doesn't excuse the absolutely atrocious dialogue system, terrible loot tables and other humongous problems like enemies having homing grenades, or the faction quests being pathetically abysmal

coiler

After completing the game on the release I'm not buying anything from Bethesda until they move from last gen mechanics and visuals.

This shit is insane

but it's good to know that if longtime fans are disappointed by huge departures and poor executions, they brought it on themselves for daring to have expectations to begin with.

Stiler

If this had the VR edition included I might bite, but seems a bit pointless for people waiting on fallout 4 VR.

Come back @neogafshitposts

Hopefully nobody falls for that Pipboy junk again. I bought the Pipboy edition at launch and it was my most regret of the generation. Pipboy was such a piece of trash. It's badly painted, felt cheap and a button broke after the very first push.

Blobbers

This shit is insane

but it's good to know that if longtime fans are disappointed by huge departures and poor executions, they brought it on themselves for daring to have expectations to begin with.

the fans have the right to be disappointed, of course. But after Fallout 3, the E3 trailer and the reviews/impressions, all the puzzle pieces were there for you to realize you might wanna set your expectations to something other than "I hope they took cues from Obsidian after New Vegas"

This was not an Uncharted 4 situation where some people went in with high hopes because Naughty Dog was at the top of their game and the game was made by the TLoU guys, but came out disappointed.

BizzyBum

Bethesda games always have sub-par stories. If you play Fallout 4 for the story you're doing it wrong. The meat of this game is just exploring and if Fallout 4 gets one thing right is that it oozes in style and immersion. I already love any sort of post apocalyptic setting, though. The map is also smaller than Skyrim but it's also way more densely packed.

The one big thing Bethesda banked on was the settlement system. If you like it, it opens up a whole new game. If you hate it, that's a big part of the game you will never play.

The mods I listed in my previous post also help a ton. It straight up enhances the game to a survival horror experience of sorts.

Now we know why they have postponed the PSVR version of Fallout 4.

Sell this version first, meanwhile continue optimizing / downgrading assets for PS4 VR and then sell that SKU next year.

Then Fallout 4 for tablet, followed by mobile phone version, and eventually a SmartTV app.

The only Fallout news I really care for is when Obsidian announces they are releasing Fallout: New Reno, Fallout: New New Orleans, or just about anywhere really.

jayu26

People who have played it, is there anything redeeming about the writing in this game? Any good sidequest or character arcs? I will take binary choices (that are not really choice) as long as there is an interesting story that is mildly thought provoking.
The only Fallout news I really care for is when Obsidian announces they are releasing Fallout: New Reno, Fallout: New New Orleans, or just about anywhere really.
I have said it before and I will say it again. Bethesda needs to give Fallout premenantly to Obsidian. They will still publish of course and Todd will still have his Elder Scrolls and his new IP.

Floody

Are the DLCs any good? Not really heard much about them.

I've liked pretty much all their past big DLCs, so will probably pick it up eventually regardless, unless they're really bad.

Unlike their other games, Fallout 4 doesn't offer much replay value. I would pick this up, but I have no desire to play it a 3rd time. The 2nd time, I tried my hardest to do things differently, but, in the end, the whole thing felt a little flat. The voice acting and dialogue options really display their weaknesses on a second playthrough. I wanted to play as a raider type, but it just didn't work. I don't really see any other way to play the game.

BizzyBum

Unlike their other games, Fallout 4 doesn't offer much replay value. I would pick this up, but I have no desire to play it a 3rd time. The 2nd time, I tried my hardest to do things differently, but, in the end, the whole thing felt a little flat. The voice acting and dialogue options really display their weaknesses on a second playthrough. I wanted to play as a raider type, but it just didn't work. I don't really see any other way to play the game.

The voiced protagonist and dialogue system in this game was definitely the biggest dud. I think Bethesda knows this so hopefully for their future games it's done away with, or if they decide to do it again it will be massively improved and overhauled.

Savitar

Fallout 4 lost me, I played Fallout 3 a ton, quite enjoyed Fallout NV but 4? Blah.

Getting the suit so early was a mistake. The dialogue choices was watered down to some ME crap level. The story felt...uninspired. The building was fun for a bit, it got old though. I expected more and it felt like less minus the building places aspect.

Save that settlement you say....nah.

Keinning

Pretty much this. Unless you goof around in survival mode or with settlements, after you beat it once you kinda did most of what the game had to offer. Voiced protag, limited choice and very light roleplaying aspects make the game a fun but very linear experience despite it being apparently so "open". You always do the same stuff, with the same outcomes (new vegas and even 3 had several ways of solving quests, fallout 4 is basically fight fight fight all the time), hell even the different factions had mostly the same ending save for one. I don't really find myself thinking "gonna start a new fallout 4 save to see some new content", it always end up being the same.

Then far harbour came and showed a lot of promise.... but it was a one time effort.

BizzyBum

Getting the suit so early was a mistake.

Oh yeah, this too. They were probably excited to show off everything they did to PA in this game so they wanted players to have one right away. While PA is way more varied and interesting in this game compared to past games, I agree it was a huge mistake in hindsight to just give players a full suit right at the start of the game with no effort. Like, how would the MC even know how to use one? lol

Lagamorph

Oh yeah, this too. They were probably excited to show off everything they did to PA in this game so they wanted players to have one right away. While PA is way more varied and interesting in this game compared to past games, I agree it was a huge mistake in hindsight to just give players a full suit right at the start of the game with no effort. Like, how would the MC even know how to use one? lol

The Main Character was a soldier who had returned home from the war so almost certainly had training in Power Armour prior to the start of the game.
And at least they did somewhat limit the usage of the armour in the beginning with needing the Cores, so you couldn't exactly just run around in it for the entire game right from the start.

Keinning

The Main Character was a soldier who had returned home from the war so almost certainly had training in Power Armour prior to the start of the game.
And at least they did somewhat limit the usage of the armour in the beginning with needing the Cores, so you couldn't exactly just run around in it for the entire game right from the start.

i don't know if it was just my game but i found a lot of cores with barely any effort. by the time the first one ran out i already had three spares

Top Bottom