• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is something a ton of you are glossing over.

For someone to use these features they probably have to be a Gold member, you will be paying for something that is broken and won't be fixed immediately. You are paying $55/$60 dollars a year for a service that shouldn't cost that much, and yet it is broken.

Fuck that noise, pay walls are bad enough, engaging in the pay wall and shit doesn't even work? That's abysmal.
This, thank you.

TheTwelve

Wow. Microsoft really, really should have aimed for a 2014 launch.

They really should have, but they couldn't. That would be a guaranteed loss to Sony this gen.

If they can get enough people to buy a rushed console and just tread water through patches and updates, they might have a chance if Sony drops the ball. They just have to get in the game and hope somehow that they can keep up in later months.

I'm just happy I never had any intention of buying this. I can't imagine knowing this info and still needing to drop over $500 on it next month. This thing is broken!!!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

For someone to use these features they probably have to be a Gold member, you will be paying for something that is broken and won't be fixed immediately. You are paying $55/$60 dollars a year for a service that shouldn't cost that much, and yet it is broken.

Fuck that noise, pay walls are bad enough, engaging in the pay wall and shit doesn't even work? That's abysmal.

for someone stating all this, you clearly didn't read the OP. That or like many others don't even understand what they are reading and how it relates to users.

Seems to be how MS has been treating its OS.

oh look a snarky yet incorrect comment! i haven't seen one of those today!

ElfArmy177

Another 100 page thread that will be closed... :D Looks like I get to look forward to a fucking train wreck when Im playing BF4 on xbox one! Oh well, atleast I got my buddies

This will be a big deal if XBL is not up to snuff on launch. A less than stellar online experience will be far noticeable to the average buyer

And what's with all that hate for mort? Proelite was the first to leak this

I guess at the launch of this gen online services weren't that "important" but with the new consoles almost everyone will want to login/update on launch day. Will be really interesting wether everything works. Wouldn't surprise me if Sony will experience also a few problems with server load etc because their launch is bigger (more countries).

I can't believe he hyped this so much..

So... Parties may (but may not) be partially broken at launch..?
Meh.

as I mention in the other thread, this for me is no big deal. 720 is a way bigger deal, both can be fixed after launch.

"Maybe it will work at launch, maybe it wont."

FFS. Megaton? More like meganone.

jennifer-lawrence-ok-dmf5m.gif

Beginning of gen was so obvious because of xbox players being wired, and ps3 players primarily using garbage, packet losing, wifi.

As the generation went on and 360 got wifi, that playing field leveled.

From my countless hours of multiplayer on both consoles, Xbox Live is simply more reliable and lower latency overall. PSN has its moments of greatness, but the majority of games played are laggy garbage.

yeah i can't relate. I have a great time on both.

This was posted in the comments of the page. I have no clue if any of it's real, so take it with a grain of salt

This is 100% false. Yes our OS had this problem, but months ago. I am talking E3 months ago even before the DRM. You’re right when you say we “changed the way it worked” and that did cause problems. DRM removal (your fault and a late decision upstairs due to the numbers) pushed us back even further. It wasn’t as easy as a patch, flipping a switch. It was built into the system. The online check went through more than the games. There were features that had to be redone including our sharing system and some other features we did not get to announce that we plan on adding on. Everyone is working their ass off 24/7 until launch. Yes it’s buggy but after you install the 2GB day one update, the UI will work just fine and also expect the console (if connected) to auto update when you’re offline, or in the background at night. This will happen throught the life cycle and the cloud enables us to patch In things remotely. If games were pushed back you’d hear about that. Actually XBO games have gone gold and are running fine. COD Ghost is 900p, RYSE. 900p, DR3 720p, FORZA 1080p, BF4 900p, KI 720p, ZOO TYCOON 1080p, TITANFALL running from 900-1080 (not finalized of course), Halo 1080p (they’ve been working on this for 2 years now and can fully take advantage like Turn10. ) To be truthful I can’t wait until the 22nd because when our system runs fine, you won’t be very popular in the industry. You and your friends at NeoGaf have some sort of anti Microsoft agenda that we get tired of reading. Also, Titanfall is a Microsoft exclusive. Not Xbox. Respawn can leave EA at any time and we can publish it after the first year. Enjoy.

True, but unfortunately the PS4 has jumped on the same money train. Only free options are the WiiU and PC.

Did anyone read the reply from the "Xbox dev" in the comments? On phone can't copy pasta.

http://doddscientifics.com/2013/10/28/xbox-one-os-and-xbox-live-issues-bouncing-about-as-we-approach-launch/comment-page-1/#comment-987

This is 100% false. Yes our OS had this problem, but months ago. I am talking E3 months ago even before the DRM. You’re right when you say we “changed the way it worked” and that did cause problems. DRM removal (your fault and a late decision upstairs due to the numbers) pushed us back even further. It wasn’t as easy as a patch, flipping a switch. It was built into the system. The online check went through more than the games. There were features that had to be redone including our sharing system and some other features we did not get to announce that we plan on adding on. Everyone is working their ass off 24/7 until launch. Yes it’s buggy but after you install the 2GB day one update, the UI will work just fine and also expect the console (if connected) to auto update when you’re offline, or in the background at night. This will happen throught the life cycle and the cloud enables us to patch In things remotely. If games were pushed back you’d hear about that. Actually XBO games have gone gold and are running fine. COD Ghost is 900p, RYSE. 900p, DR3 720p, FORZA 1080p, BF4 900p, KI 720p, ZOO TYCOON 1080p, TITANFALL running from 900-1080 (not finalized of course), Halo 1080p (they’ve been working on this for 2 years now and can fully take advantage like Turn10. ) To be truthful I can’t wait until the 22nd because when our system runs fine, you won’t be very popular in the industry. You and your friends at NeoGaf have some sort of anti Microsoft agenda that we get tired of reading. Also, Titanfall is a Microsoft exclusive. Not Xbox. Respawn can leave EA at any time and we can publish it after the first year. Enjoy.

Obviously have to take it with a grain of salt but it's still...interesting.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Do we know if that's running a game online though?

What if he meant literally just running a singleplayer game with no other app or online component?

I'm sure he would've specified single player game, as that would narrow down the window of it working properly significantly.

Instantly false as we know BF4 is 720p on X1.

UNCMark

Banned
Ouch, sounds like it's not even in the beta stage. $500 bucks for the privilege of alpha testing.

It is in the beta stage. I've got a guy on my friend list that is on Xbox One. He wont talk though. Maybe now I know why. It's not the NDA, it's the XBL.

I did too for what it's worth. My mom died and that's why I was absent from Gaf for most of the last 4 days. But I didn't know something happened to him.

All I was referring to was the posts I saw in the recent past from him complaining that people were praising Cboat so much and not him. I wasn't taking some random cheap shot at him, the kind of stuff I was seeing from him genuinely made me think he may be desperate for something massive and to be fair this source seems a bit shaky. He may be right, I'm not even saying he's not, I'm just saying that I personally am not buying it until either someone else can back it up or we see it actually unfold.

Ah, I'm sorry for your loss.

I haven't really seen those posts, so maybe.

I haven't read a single post in this thread yet (I will read every single one, eventually... trust me). But I'm getting a ton of tweets and I'm sure you guys have questions and I'm still talking to my contact and I wanted to share this exchange.

Him: I can explain why this would be a challenge to fix, if you need some clarification.

Me: Yes, please!

Him: Alright, the problem stems from the fact that it's both launching on the 22nd, and each team has had to write their system to write their party system to handle party hand-offs from the OS side. So if you change the way the way the system handles matchmaking or parties or voice chat in parties or voice chat in games, you run the risk of breaking every released game's individual API, because you have to account for how each individual game's XBL functionality is written. However, the way it is now is a huge cluster mess of probs.

So, in a weird way, they can't fix it on the OS side. What you could do is you could write an all encompassing XBL-API and hand it to each dev. But then you'd have to make that the standard, the OS side would have to be patched to recognize only api handshakes from the game to the OS with that particular code. Meaning some games would still end up breaking, but it'd be fewer. And it'd be more future proof.

No word on what MS is going to do about it though, and with the trouble they are having pushing online clients to Thunderhead to begin with.

They have bigger fish to fry if they want their next 6-months of titles to launch on time.

ironcreed

Banned
Here everyone was expecting them to have the more stable online environment right out of the gate. Wow, I find it baffling how Microsoft could fuck that one aspect up after having such a solid framework with Xbox Live. I mean, that is supposed to be their bread and butter. What a mess.

Thorgi

Who is this Kevin Dent Fella? And whys he so salty

Sexist, transphobic jerk of a dev who inserts himself into situations where he doesn't belong. Got in pathetic fights with Phil Fish. Whether these rumors end up being true or false, it's safe to write him off.

Let's be real though. Anyone buying Xbox One at launch already has a 360 and a Gold subscription so to them they aren't spending anymore than they already have for the service.

This was posted in the comments of the page. I have no clue if any of it's real, so take it with a grain of salt

According to that guy DRM removal was our fault lol

It wasn't their fault that they added such a shitty system in the first place that no one liked or wanted.

What an ass.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Given his inaccuracy of the Xbox One game resolutions, I think it's straight up salty BS. :p

MormaPope

Banned
for someone stating all this, you clearly didn't read the OP. That or like many others don't even understand what they are reading and how it relates to users.

oh look a snarky yet incorrect comment! i haven't seen one of those today!

I read the OP, elaborate on what you're saying please. What I took away from the OP was social features that work and are present on the 360 are coded and implemented differently on the Xbox One, and as of now those features aren't being implemented as well as they have been in the past.

You have to be a Gold member for party chat and other features correct?

JaggedSac

The end sounds like bollocks. The beginning might not be. Mort might be lagging behind in direct MS related information. Wasn't he one of the ones that brought forth the downclock rumor?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Imagine if you were trying...

Untitled-1_zps6b2a300d.jpg

if i was trying, i would have called up one of my sources and asked. Not even worth it.

I read the OP,elaborate on what you're saying please. What I took away from the OP was social features that work and are present on the 360 are coded and implemented differently on the Xbox One, and as of now those features aren't being implemented as well as they have been in the past.

OK. essentially all multiplayer game code is similar to 360 and functions in largely the same way. The API hooks aren't functioning correctly when an app is open.

The VOIP is handled on a game by game basis, probably for more direct control in game and for better balancing if i were to guess. there's hiccups when people are moving in and out of games.

Over the months I've become more interested in Mort's style of reporting than the content— It's becoming obvious that he's not handling the internet/social media spotlight very well, and it's pretty unfortunate.

I agree. That little note he put about how it could partially be his fault as if he alone took down the DRM was ugh.

Pain

Banned
All the console, MMO, hardware launches were buggy. If it was Nintendo, Iwata would have apologized on a video and GAF wouldn't have complained. WiiU still doesnt have the summer firmware upgrade, it was promised 9 months before.

First year is going to be rocky. Things are going to crash.
I dont think you understand how big this could be.....we could be looking at XBOX LIVE connectivity issues for MONTHS.

DogMeat77

I can't believe some are downplaying this.

It was not that long ago when the GTA Online Cloud debacle happened. XBOX and PS3 fans were losing their shit when they couldn't get online.

I hope for Microsoft's and the people who are buying the systems sake that they get this mess cleaned up quickly. I for one won't be touching the 720 for quite some time but I do wish them well... competition is a good thing.

I think flipping that switch and removing the DRM is causing an undue amount of headache considering what every developer would be running into as they approach the launch of a online network. Whatever problems are normally fought at this time are being compounded.

They're dead set on launching with the PS4 regardless of how ready they are. So problems are to be expected. Obviously with any console launch there will be problems but the XB1 is just having issue after issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom